shape
carat
color
clarity

Poll- which size side stones for 3 stone?!

Which side stones pair look better?

• Top photo

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Bottom photo

Votes: 50 78.1%

• Total voters

Linny

Shiny_Rock
Hi All,
I would LOVE and be so thankful for your help! I’m making a 3 stone and my center is very close in size to this one. I’m looking to purchase one of these pairs of ACAs as side stones. Proportionally which do you think looks better? I’m stumped! 98BA8BC1-D112-47C6-A1FD-3995D595F441.jpeg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted for the larger ones as they look more balanced to me.

Personal preferences and all that.

DK :))

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
I like the bottom pic as the 3 stones seem a good balance. However, I also liked the top pic too because the center stone pops more which I think I prefer. Good luck :)

Linny

Shiny_Rock
Something like the butterfly setting from Whiteflash or the Trilogie from HPD will be my setting. I used to have a halo, which I adore but I put a beautiful blue sapphire in it and it looks amazing and I realized I can’t have pave for my every day ER as I’m way too rough for the delicacy of it.

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
I like the top photo best...personal preference! To be fair, they are very similar in size, so I don’t think you’d be disappointed with either.

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
Bigger, mine is 0.5, 2, 0.5 (around)

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What look are you looking for? Side stones more as accent stones, or a bigger general look for the ring as a whole?

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
I love the smaller side stones. I think it lets the center diamond shine. They compliment it instead of making it a wall of bling. But both options are beautiful!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
14FEE43D-0C38-43A1-80B8-8B562F3DDDB5.jpeg The bottom is almost identical to mine. Size 8 finger.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I either like them smaller than the first picture (more like accents than a 3 stone) or bigger like the bottom picture.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer smaller stones to be accents rather than a more traditional three stone. I still want the center to be the star - just enhanced with a bit more sparkle!
However, there is not a huge size difference between the two pair and you have to go with what looks better to your eye. I have a 2.53 center with .33 side stones. It also depends on the setting and the angle at which the sides are set. Will be looking forward to seeing your new ring!

Meditelli

Rough_Rock
Beautiful choices! My husband gifted me a three-stone ring for our 10-year anniversary. We used my original ER center stone for one of the side stones in the new setting, and then he purchased a "matching" side stone and a larger center stone. Mine is closer to the 1:2:1 ratio previously mentioned. Center is 2.5 with 1.3 side stones. It's my dream ring.

Linny

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful choices! My husband gifted me a three-stone ring for our 10-year anniversary. We used my original ER center stone for one of the side stones in the new setting, and then he purchased a "matching" side stone and a larger center stone. Mine is closer to the 1:2:1 ratio previously mentioned. Center is 2.5 with 1.3 side stones. It's my dream ring.

That sounds gorgeous! Would you mind taking a pic for me if it’s not too much trouble?

LIGemzGal

Shiny_Rock
I like bling and vote for the larger side stones. I also think a lot depends on how you're going to set the stones. You can set your center stone a bit higher than your side stones to really offset it, if you're concerned about your side stones standing out too much but don't want smaller stones. That's the look I prefer and what I went with with my e-ring.

Yelena

Shiny_Rock
Hi Linny,

I found it hard to vote, probably because they are lined up right next to each other, whereas if they are set in a ring the side stones sit a bit lower and are slightly angled which changes the look.

Sorry I don't have time right now to do the calculations but it is worth considering using the Golden Ratio. I plan to use the Golden Ratio when I finally get around to getting a ring made. I am on a bling ban now which will probably last a few years.

Here's a link to get you started if you are interested.

Towards the bottom of this link it talks about how to apply it to circles.

Good luck with your project.

Last edited:

Linny

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for your help! I’ve narrowed it down to either .43s for the side stones or .54s. There are no other options in either HPD’s or Whiteflashe’s inventory! I already own the .54s as studs and the .43s will come next week for me to compare. I’m really liking a ~5mm side with my center since I have CZs in that size I’ve been comparing to my 2.14 center but that option doesn’t exist for purchase right now (since I need D color). The .43s are around 4.8-4.9mm - so a little smaller than my ideal preference and the .54s are 5.3mm so a little bigger. I seem to have a detailed eye for even minute size differences. I just sent back the .40s to Whiteflash because they were a little to small but I could see the difference in size between them! One was 4.72x 4.76mm and the other was 4.76x 4.78mm - less than .04 difference in size! My jeweler is surprised that I can see this and differences in color within the same color grade. I guess it’s a blessing and a curse lol! I’ll post another poll with hand shots once I have the final comparison of the two pairs next week. Thank you all!!

Last edited:

Linny

Shiny_Rock
@cflutist : Wow! That is stunning and a brilliant photo capturing all the color it puts off! My 2.14 CBI is 8.31x 8.34mm and the CBI studs I have are .54s - 5.24mm x 5.28mm and 5.23mm x 5.27mm. I think is is nearly identical to your proportions? Also my finger is a 4.5-4.75. Would you mind terribly sending me some hand shots so I can see the dimensions on your finger? My concern is that if I go with the bigger pair they might overwhelm my finger?

Last edited:

Linny

Shiny_Rock
Hi Linny,

I found it hard to vote, probably because they are lined up right next to each other, whereas if they are set in a ring the side stones sit a bit lower and are slightly angled which changes the look.

Sorry I don't have time right now to do the calculations but it is worth considering using the Golden Ratio. I plan to use the Golden Ratio when I finally get around to getting a ring made. I am on a bling ban now which will probably last a few years.

Here's a link to get you started if you are interested.

Towards the bottom of this link it talks about how to apply it to circles.

Good luck with your project.

Thank you I’ll look into this!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for your help! I’ve narrowed it down to either .43s for the side stones or .54s. There are no other options in either HPD’s or Whiteflashe’s inventory! I already own the .54s as studs and the .43s will come next week for me to compare. I’m really liking a ~5mm side with my center since I have CZs in that size I’ve been comparing to my 2.14 center but that option doesn’t exist for purchase right now (since I need D color). The .43s are around 4.8-4.9mm - so a little smaller than my ideal preference and the .54s are 5.3mm so a little bigger. I seem to have a detailed eye for even minute size differences. I just sent back the .40s to Whiteflash because they were a little to small but I could see the difference in size between them! One was 4.72x 4.76mm and the other was 4.76x 4.78mm - less than .04 difference in size! My jeweler is surprised that I can see this and differences in color within the same color grade. I guess it’s a blessing and a curse lol! I’ll post another poll with hand shots once I have the final comparison of the two pairs next week. Thank you all!!

The .53s would make a ring exactly like @cflutist 's gorgeous three stone. I will link a couple more pictures of hers for you to see the proportions. There is no right or wrong answer to the size of the side stones since it is all personal preference. If the center stone is a larger stone, I do not like huge side stones. I like stones to complement but not overwhelm the center. I think the placement and angles of the sides in the setting is critical, as well.

@cflutist 8.4mm center, 5.2mm sides

cflutistCBI8.4mm.5.2mmsides.png

Here is @soxfan 's 2.12 ct center with .31 sides, size 4.75

3stone.2.12center.31sides.soxfan.jpg

Last edited:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha, I was in the process of posting @cflutist 's ring when you posted that you wanted to see more pictures of hers! Here is a thread with a lot more pictures:

cflutist8.4mm.5.2mm.jpg

Last edited:

itskcc

Rough_Rock
Fun problems to have! I think the setting, height, prongs and angle of side stones in relation to center stone all play a part here too but you are right to play around with all your options. My 3-stone is 2.3ct center stone, .80 each on the sides. I tried the 1:2:1 ratio and didn't love it on my finger. You'll know when you hit the right combination!

Linny

Shiny_Rock
Thank you!

Ha, I was in the process of posting @cflutist 's ring when you posted that you wanted to see more pictures of hers! Here is a thread with a lot more pictures:

cflutist8.4mm.5.2mm.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results