• Yes, go big or go home!!

Votes: 54 64.3%
  • No, get a newly cut vintage or a vintage vintage

Votes: 30 35.7%

• Total voters

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
At the risk of boring everyone to death again, I'd like to solicit your suggestions and advice re whether to upgrade Holly, my 5.318ct H VS2 ideal-cut diamond.

I've never re-set Holly; she's still in her "temp" setting, a plain Pt solitaire - for several years now. I've been mulling upgrading her and have put away funds with that intention, only to end up spending the funds, and more $$$, on other pieces of bling - notably VCA and Cartier (which I absolutely ADORE; but I think I'm done with designer pieces, at least for now, lol). I wonder why I'm procrastinating doing either! She's stuck in this simple solitaire and I keep thinking I'd love her more if she were bigger and/ or whiter. Or would I?!!

In the meantime, I'm drooling over these beautiful old cuts, especially the new optically optimised old cuts, ie. AVR's and AVC's (wrt the latter, I love the optical performance but am not sure I love the Maltese cross, personally). I love antique cuts, but am not colour-tolerant, and am rather partial to the performance of an ideal/ superideal cut MRB. Colour-wise, I prefer at least an H and have seen whiter real antique cuts IRL which I love, but alas the ones I've actually seen IRL do not give out the flashes of pastel colours and / or the fire that owners of ol cuts talk about on here. Watching @Rhino 's new oval makes me think that perhaps I should wait to get an optically optimised "old cut", like an AVR or a (hopefully) August Vintage EC (again, @Rhino ??!! lol). I LOVE the elegance of EC's but have held myself back bc the look is rather subdued, it can look like a piece of glass!

So, should I reset Holly or upgrade her? I'm thinking of getting the Emilya again, to satisfy the size wh*** in me and I do miss my Emilya since I sold the centre diamond; AND perhaps working towards another honker, a new cut "antique". One option that I'm NOT considering is leaving her as she is right now. I don't like simple solitaires on me.:P2=)2. So my choices are: 1) upgrade Holly to a 6ct+ G colour VS, and be FINALLY done; and 2) Reset Holly in a hallo and use the extra funds (that I'd otherwise use to upgrade Holly) to get another honker, either a real old cut or a newly cut "old cut".

Thanks for indulging me, yet again! xx

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there no way to upgrade to an OEC ?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The new OECs are certainly optimized to death, but ... different species, for sure.

Interesting puzzle !

I can only think that the OEC (or another old style cut ?) better not be smaller than Holly, to stand a chance of being worn.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The new OECs are certainly optimized to death, but ... different species, for sure.

Interesting puzzle !

I can only think that the OEC (or another old style cut ?) better not be smaller than Holly, to stand a chance of being worn.

Hehe, different flavour, I guess.

Yeah, it'd better not be smaller than a halo'ed Holly!:lol:

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Light Yellow ?

With a distinctive cut, the colour would never look like a compromise - in my world.

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Why not get a 7 carat, and also halo it? :)

Seriously though, I wonder if any of the jewelers around you would be willing to rent you a bigger diamond for a month. I guess you could always buy and return, but I feel like someone out there would be willing to take a not very liquid stone out of their inventory for a month in exchange for say 1% of the value. And then you could try wearing it first and see if you really feel a big difference compared to your existing 5.3.

If nobody's willing to do that, another option would be to buy one of the things we're not supposed to talk about on this forum, and just get a feel for what the extra size feels like.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why not get a 7 carat, and also halo it? :)

Seriously though, I wonder if any of the jewelers around you would be willing to rent you a bigger diamond for a month. I guess you could always buy and return, but I feel like someone out there would be willing to take a not very liquid stone out of their inventory for a month in exchange for say 1% of the value. And then you could try wearing it first and see if you really feel a big difference compared to your existing 5.3.

If nobody's willing to do that, another option would be to buy one of the things we're not supposed to talk about on this forum, and just get a feel for what the extra size feels like.

Lol! I don't think a 7ct would need to be halo'ed!:lol:

Besides, I don't want to spend the extra $$$$$$$ to go up to a 7ct. I did think about it but I'd have to go down in colour and/ or clarity, which I'm not willing to do. I'd rather have a 6ct with a higher colour.

Haha, I already beat you to that one. The size feels fine.:lol-2:

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Well then, is the mental satisfaction of owning a 6ct, or is it the extra width you're looking for? Because Holly with a halo will most likely be wider than a 6ct.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well then, is the mental satisfaction of owning a 6ct, or is it the extra width you're looking for? Because Holly with a halo will most likely be wider than a 6ct.

It's both actually. I just think a 7ct can hold its own. A 5ct can be halo'ed. At least that's how I'd justify it, hehe!:Up_to_something:. A 6ct can be a solitaire too. And if I go up to a 6ct G colour, I'd want to see all that lovely whiter profile. I feel as long as the diameter can go up by at least 0.5mm, I'd be super happy.

Mind you, I tried on a 12ct at Tiffany's. It had the most beautiful super-delicate halo and it was divine!!:love:

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I might insist on the colour thing, because the range of shades is large and the effect of various cut models on this sort of material tremendous & needs to be seen.

It so happens that sometime during the first half of next year I will be working within a short distance from GemConcepts - very likely, an interesting source of 'suggestions' as you say. There might not be many options in stock, but there always seems to be a magnificent 'pile' of miniature models of anythign & everything - perhaps one way to get a feel of the least beaten track ...

I roughly know what I want, but still want to see the samples first !

2c

Last edited:

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Phoenix, based on what you have shared in the past, I feel like if you get an old cut, there might still be a part of you that would feel Holly needs to be upsized to Holly Mother of God. Changing it to a nice halo'ed setting may be enough to satiate DSS for a while, although I feel what you really want is a bigger honker ;)2 If I read this wrong I apologize. Fundamentally what matters most is: what would make YOU the happiest out of all 3 options?

I have that dreaded DSS...back in the day I thought 3 carat was my max....then 5...and now, 7. In a freaking delicate halo! So never say never about going up from your 6+ to something even bigger! :P2

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Phoenix, based on what you have shared in the past, I feel like if you get an old cut, there might still be a part of you that would feel Holly needs to be upsized to Holly Mother of God. Changing it to a nice halo'ed setting may be enough to satiate DSS for a while, although I feel what you really want is a bigger honker ;)2 If I read this wrong I apologize. Fundamentally what matters most is: what would make YOU the happiest out of all 3 options?

I have that dreaded DSS...back in the day I thought 3 carat was my max....then 5...and now, 7. In a freaking delicate halo! So never say never about going up from your 6+ to something even bigger! :P2

OMG! I was hoping someone would not say any of this!! When is it EVER going to end?!! lol:lol-2::mrgreen2:

@Alexiszoe , pls do not ever apologise! I value your opinions and suggestions.

What are the THREE options? lol

(And you're getting a 7ct in a delicate halo??!! do tell!!:D)

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Phoenix, thanks! Based on what I see in this thread the 3 options appear to be:
1) Upgrade Holly to 6+
2) Put Holly in a halo setting
3) Get an old cut

If you were to move forward in time say 3 to 5 years from now, which do you feel would give you the most amount of enjoyment and satisfaction?

As for the 7ct, it is not immediate but once we have got our ducks lined in a row financially...maybe a 5ct to start off with, in an octagonal halo :lol:

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Mind you, I tried on a 12ct at Tiffany's. It had the most beautiful super-delicate halo and it was divine!!:love:

Sounds like your upgrade train has not reached its final destination. :)

It's both actually. I just think a 7ct can hold its own. A 5ct can be halo'ed. At least that's how I'd justify it, hehe!:Up_to_something:. A 6ct can be a solitaire too. And if I go up to a 6ct G colour, I'd want to see all that lovely whiter profile. I feel as long as the diameter can go up by at least 0.5mm, I'd be super happy.

In my opinion if you're spending 6 figures on a diamond, the extra width of a 4 figure halo is really compelling.

So I like the idea of the antique cut, but there's a couple of caveats:

1) If you get a "new antique" like a AVR or AVEC, it'll cost more per carat than a MRB of the same weight. so there's not much savings to be had, unless you're willing to go for a smaller stone.
2) If you're looking for a genuine older diamond, there may be some savings vs. a MRB, but the problem is that high carat high color diamonds are few and far between. As Karl mentioned in the other thread, most high color old cut diamonds have been recut into MRBs. Looking at JbG, this is the only 5ct+ H or higher diamond they have listed: http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/5-03ct-heart-shaped-portrait-cut-diamond-gia-e-if and this is the only other one I see, and it's sold: http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/5-01ct-antique-asscher-cut-diamond-gia-h-si1

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Upgrade holly. I don't think an oec will flash the way an mrb will to satiate you. That brilliance is what usually makes an mrb appear bigger to me if that makes sense...

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Phoenix, thanks! Based on what I see in this thread the 3 options appear to be:
1) Upgrade Holly to 6+
2) Put Holly in a halo setting
3) Get an old cut

If you were to move forward in time say 3 to 5 years from now, which do you feel would give you the most amount of enjoyment and satisfaction?

As for the 7ct, it is not immediate but once we have got our ducks lined in a row financially...maybe a 5ct to start off with, in an octagonal halo :lol:

Ah ok. There are really only 2 options: either I upgrade Holly to the "Holly Mother of God" or I I halo her and also get an old cut with the money I'd otherwise use to upgrade her. A halo would not cost more than $5-10k whereas I estimate the upgrade of Holly/ or purchase of an entirely new stone would be an additional $100-200k (yeah, I know, that's a fairly wide range).

I have absolutely NO idea which one of these bling options would make me the happiest, hence this thread and this poll=)2. I'd need to weigh up all options. One thing I'd like to do is to actually see an AVR in person or some other August Vintage or an extremely well cut true antique, even if it'd be in a smaller size. That's an unknown at the moment, which would play an important role in my final decision. All I know is that I've been sitting on this for several years now, and I feel kinda lame!:oops2:

Wowza!! Can't wait to see what you end up with!!:dance::clap:

Last edited:

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One thing I'd like to do is to actually see an AVR in person or some other August Vintage or an extremely well cut true antique, even if it'd be in a smaller size.

The miniatures I mentioned are less than 30 pts.

____

This thread got me thinking of how RBC & OEC combinations are almost tapu - almost WWW

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stick to what you want and stop spending money on other things along the way. That's my best advice. You keep coming back to upgrading Holly; whether it is the size or color you don't seem completely happy with it so resetting it would just be a temporary fix and more money spent in the wrong direction. I think you know deep down in your own heart what it is that you want and resetting or buying another ring might work for a bit in the long run it won't fix the initial issue.

Reminds me of a story we read in elementary school about the Queen's cup of tea that wasn't quite right. They took it to all of the well regarded villagers to add or take away from it to make it just right. Turns out that a lowly citizen of the village came up with the right answer - throw the old cup out and make a brand new one! Simple but true and I think this fits your situation. Focus on that goal and save your money. You will not be disappointed buying quality!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My advice. Upgrade Holly. My gut says that's the only option that will truly satisfy you based on your past threads and posts. And that would be my personal choice too. Go big or go home and the heart wants what the heart wants. One freaking fantastic gorgeous huge ER diamond. Good luck and I hope you find the stone of your wildest dreams. :appl:

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you wear one ring primarily, then I say upgrade Holly to your ideal 6+ ct diamond and then halo her, too!:halo:

Just keep your eye on the "prize" and try not to get distracted too much with other smaller projects along the way (just like MGR said)!:wavey:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
^ 100% agree with Missy (and others).

Holly is beautiful, and you obviously recognize this and appreciate her beauty ... but (IMHO) Holly is not your forever stone and if you re-set her into a halo, she still will not be your forever stone ... and then you'll end up doing something with Holly and be left with another beautiful setting to either sell or find a CS to put in it.

Upgrade Holly to at least 6 carats, and put the upgrade in whatever setting you keep coming back to (halo? solitaire?) whenever you dream of seeing a 6 carat or 7 carat on your finger.

For you, at this time, I think an antique/optimized antique-style diamond is a distraction purchase ... once you've finished the Holly upgrade/re-set, do a re-check to see if you still need/want an antique/optimized antique-style diamond. And, if you do, I'm pretty sure you'll figure out a way to prioritize that purchase (maybe go through your personal collection again to see if you're ready to let anything else go?)

FWIW I love your bling posts Phoenix (and your beauty/health thread) - thank you for being such a wonderful and informative PSer!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree. I'd upgrade Holly. Although I will caution you that it's all, as you know, perspective. Before I got Bertie, my SS oval felt huge to me. Now, she appears kind of small, compared to a Halo'd 10mm. I still love her and will never sell her, but my point is perspective (aka: DSS). I wonder if even an upgrade to Holly will scratch the itch long term?? I hope I'm not offending you, but I just want you to end up with a forever ring, as I'd guess that if you tallied it all up, you've lost a pretty penny in all of the upgrades, sold settings, etc. (I know I have and the pieces I've sold are MUCH smaller than yours). Either way, I think you'd be happier with an MRB over an optimized old cut. Can't wait to see how this journey ends!! It's going to be spectacular!

As an aside, do you still have your gorgeous pear?? That's one of my all time fav rings!

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, I agree with the past few posters. Your heart seems to keep coming back to upgrading Holly. Plus, if you halo'd her just for size you'd always know it was a compromise, and one it doesn't sound like you really want. I wonder if your hesitation is because it took you so long to find her and you know how hard it will be to find an even bigger version of her? Could you contact Yoram, Wink, or others about having them cut one specifically for you?

After you have Holly Mother of God, then get your AVR/AVC/AVwhatever!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't agree more with others - Holly is spectacular but it seems you have reservations about her color and cut (ideal but not super ideal) and I think you always will so I'd invest in getting exactly what you REALLY want....a larger, whiter, super ideal stone!! :love: Spending money on other things will distract you for a period of time but I think as long as Holly is your primary ring, your feelings will never go away.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You've expressed some issues with Holly's look. So, I agree with PP that upgrade seems the way to go (for now). But, as you are not a solitaire girl, would you get an Emilya for the new, larger Holly? I've always loved adding a bit of color to the halo.

upload_2017-10-8_14-45-52.jpeg
upload_2017-10-8_14-46-19.jpeg
upload_2017-10-8_14-47-33.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results