• Yes, go big or go home!!

Votes: 54 64.3%
  • No, get a newly cut vintage or a vintage vintage

Votes: 30 35.7%

• Total voters

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The VCA earrings are lovely on you, stylish and classy! Based on what they’ve quoted me and other people (HappyNewLife traded in for 74% of what she paid if I’m not mistaken) on PS, I think WF offers a pretty moderate price for trade-in since they’re resellers and a cash offer from a private buyer would be much higher. I don’t think WF’s trade-in offer would be comparable to what you’d get from consignment or best scenario, finding a private buyer, I think the latter would get you the highest offer. Totally understand temptation being everywhere!

Thank you,@jadesilver. I'm totally hearting my new VCA earrings - understated elegance.

Maybe I'll try to consign Holly, without actually sending in the stone, at least initially / until there's a firm offer. Wondering if that'd work (?).

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tiny hijack: I see a fair amount of large MRBs in Dallas, but I was at an underground pop-up kind of restaurant and one of the women had an enormous EC that flashed at me all night. I went over and very sheepishly asked if I could see it, and she offered her hand and let me look at it for probably far longer than was polite. I wanted to ask if she was a PSer, but I felt like I was already acting a little impertinent. Anyway, I still have daydreams about how gorgeous it was. :kiss2:

I've always loved large EC's. There's something magical about them.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not sure about Leon. I haven't really enquired yet. I might use him to upgrade to a large EC later, not sure.

+1

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Since you asked for opinions - here is mine:mrgreen2:

I think that since it will be a large financial hit to trade or sell Holly, I would recommend keeping her and having a fabulous dainty halo made for her and use the money you have been saving for the upgrade to purchase a honker of an EC. The halo will give the added presence that you craving and it will make the EC dream happen sooner rather than later. They are such classic, but completely different looks it will be fun to change them up when the mood strikes. I like your earring idea also, but feel that finding a suitable match and the expense and time involved makes this a less practical solution. Not to mention that you would not be able to use any of her "equity" towards the upgrade MRB or the EC and would now have to spend additional funds on a match for her to make earrings

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes, the thought has occured to me, Yenny. There's always going to be DSS. But I really have to stop at some point. I've tried various sizes on over the years, and a 7ct is plenty big , big enough for me - within the money constraints. And I am fully aware that may sound ridiculous especially since I have quite a fair bit of bling - larger, high-end/ designer etc...I count my blessings everyday. I am grateful for what I have and I feel a 7ct is the max limit, for me. And that's where I am going to stop!!

I haven't lost anything in my upgrades bc I've upgraded with BGD twice. And I have not sold any settings, lol. My previous settings were either temp (aka inexpensive) or have been re-purposed. But I do get your point. And I did lose money on the 2.656ct stone when I sold it loose. And I have given a lot of my smaller, less inexpensive bling to my nieces & sisters.

And I also agree that in my heart, what I really really really want is a large superideal cut MRB. I should hold out for that and not get distracted (easier said than done, lol). Looking back, what I have always always wanted were/ are: 1) a large superideal cut MRB of a higher colour, preferably a G ; and 2) a large EC, at least a 7ct or maybe even larger, of a warmer colour, prob an I or even a J (but only if the J has MBF).

My pear? I still have it but I seldom wear it. My ring du jour seems to be either Holly or the VCA Lotus ring. I think I will put the pear up for sale - seems a shame to leave it in dark recess, unloved!

I'm so glad to hear that you've fared better than I have in the lost funds dept, because that breaks my heart (and wallet!!) when I think about it! It sounds like you've reached some clarity about what you want, which is at least half of the battle, so that's great! I can't wait to see what the next phase of this journey holds for you!

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:wavey: I am writing from a universe far, far away, so please ignore me if I seem like I’m not understanding. (Most of my friends couldn’t afford even a one carat engagement ring.) I mean this with a little humor, but maybe you and Holly just need to work on your relationship. You thought she was lovely and charming, but you never got around to giving her the dream setting she deserved. You’re stepping out on her and comparing her to perfection instead of appreciating her for who she is. Maybe you need to take Holly on some dates where the light is really pretty, to the park or the mountains or the seaside, and rediscover your romance. Best wishes!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results