Votes: 14 31.8%
  • G

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • H

Votes: 16 36.4%

• Total voters

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I'm saving to buy SO studs. SO likes "white" diamonds. He has wisely left the decision making for the project up to me.

It's not an unusual story- I want them to be "white" enough for him to be happy balanced with not paying for what I don't need.

I'd like to note though that this is a very important project for both of us- for him because .25 ct white diamonds in platinum is the one jewelry thing he really wants and me because I don't often give him presents and I really want to make up for it.

I don't really want to go lower in color "because they're earrings" although I totally accept that a lot of people feel that way.

I care much more about getting this right than I do about the price but I'm just not a "white diamond" person so I'm kind of out of my depth on this one.

Thanks.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Imdanny|1321477061|3063139 said:
I'm saving to buy SO studs. SO likes "white" diamonds. He has wisely left the decision making for the project up to me.

It's not an unusual story- I want them to be "white" enough for him to be happy balanced with not paying for what I don't need.

I'd like to note though that this is a very important project for both of us- for him because .25 ct white diamonds in platinum is the one jewelry thing he really wants and me because I don't often give him presents and I really want to make up for it.

I don't really want to go lower in color "because they're earrings" although I totally accept that a lot of people feel that way.

I care much more about getting this right than I do about the price but I'm just not a "white diamond" person so I'm kind of out of my depth on this one.

Thanks.

I have .75 H studs, and I can honestly say I've never noticed the faintest hint of color - that may be affected by cut or fluorescence, but I'd feel very comfortable giving a similar set to somebody color-sensitive, and maybe getting a nicer setting then I might otherwise with the spare cash, or go up in size, or something.

That said, given the size-cap and the likely price differences and the issue of mind-cleanliness ... if he likes "white," get the Fs. People who aren't diamond people tend to put more credence in these things sometimes.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Thanks. He insists on .5 tcw and platinum screw backs so I have no latitude there. You're probably right. I should probably get to the "colorless" range since it is such a big issue for him. That would probably be mind clean for him. I get to choose the clarity. I'm getting VS1. Clarity is my mind clean thing about this project. I guess F VS1 would be kind of premium and since this is a "quality over size" project I should bite the bullet and save the extra pennies. :))

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, dear. To me it's a no-brainer. Of course I'd get the F's. There is a leap in what the eye perceives between an F and a G. For a diamond that small, the cost difference between an F or G or H is going to be tiny. You are going to be paying heavily for the precious metal right now given the price of gold (and thus platinum). I wouldn't skimp on the diamonds. But then I am someone who always goes for the highest color diamond that I can find and I just read a posting you wrote about your liking warm diamonds. So you had better take this with a grain of salt!

I know you well enough to know that you will take my posting-and every other posting here-with a grain of salt. Which is the sign of sound mind!

Hugs,
Deb
:saint:

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Deb, he hates warm diamonds. LOL!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted F. It's a safe colour. Not something I'd buy for me, but if he really likes white diamonds, get them very white!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think G is still white white white, but you'll save a bit of cash.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Well, just like I'd ask any other newbie... Has he had exposure to GIA-certed diamonds in these ranges? It really comes down to how color-sensitive he is. Maybe he's seen low quality low color diamonds in the past and thinks that unless you get super high color they'll look yellowed. Or maybe he really is that color-sensitive.

This is always a tricky topic for me because I'm so color-insensitive. Honestly I didn't used to believe PSers who claimed to be able to tell the difference between a D and a G until I took that color sensitivity test that was floating around here a couple months back and I found out that I can't see those finer nuances of color that other people can.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Based on everything you've told us I'd go with F VS2 or SI1, eye clean.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laila619|1321480548|3063187 said:

But this is not a 2 carat diamond!!! So you really mean a bit of cash! I have G colored diamond...but it is 1.38 carats! The rest of mine are higher colored. Two of them happen to be larger than that one, too. I was just making the point that I have sometimes weighed color versus cost. But never for a quarter pointer!!!!

Deb/AGBF
:read:

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1321482679|3063212 said:

But this is not a 2 carat diamond!!! So you really mean a bit of cash! I have G colored diamond...but it is 1.38 carats! The rest of mine are higher colored. Two of them happen to be larger than that one, too. I was just making the point that I have sometimes weighed color versus cost. But never for a quarter pointer!!!!

Deb/AGBF

Is it? :bigsmile:

I don't know. I know the prices for .33 vary a lot depending on the whole if you want D IF thing. I haven't been able to look at a lot of .25 because most vendors don't have pictures of it on their sites. I don't think you meant to say "a quarter pointer" though. Wouldn't that be like 1/4 of 1 point? He wants to be discreet but not that discreet! :lol:

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1321480841|3063191 said:
Based on everything you've told us I'd go with F VS2 or SI1, eye clean.

I'm going to take the advice given. It seems like the strong consensus is for F.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I played around on JA and it looked like for SI stones sub-.32, F, G and H stones were within like $20 of each other. I was surprised, but it doesn't look like at this size and those color variants there's much savings to be had (they didn't have any VS stones to compare with).

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I would get the F or G...F unless there's a big price difference.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, everyone!

I know that D, E, F are technically "colorless" but we all know it's a spectrum and I feel that's kind of arbitrary, but still this is about what he wants, not me. I can't wear an earring because my earlobes kind of attach directly to my head. :rolleyes:

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with the consensus. If someone says they want white diamonds, get F color.
I have an F--it looks like ice from both top and through the sides, I have other colors which are also beautiful but do not look like the F. I got the F because it was what was there in my price range--I had no particular interest in higher colors and had never seen an F. I was surprised at how different it looked than most people's diamonds. The higher colors are rare in the US (especially when properly graded) as most people go for size here, so you don't see them much and its a surprise when you do. Again, not saying others aren't beautiful but they don't look the same as an F. since a desire was expressed for a really white diamond, I think you have a no-brainer here.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
ok, what is is skin tone? will it really matter that much? personally, i'd go "H" but i'd shop around....not all "H" are created equal. i'd especially go "H" if it meant i could bump the size up a bit....

eta: i see above that there is not much of a price difference........so might as well get "F".

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with the consensus on F color in this case. And Danny, VS1 is sadly my preferred clarity, also. Glad someone else shares that quirk with me! ;))

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

In this case I think it's not about what you need but about what he needs, as long as you can afford it. So... if "F" is what will make him happy, whatever the reason, go with "F" if you can.

In the future, if there are other diamond project, you can talk about the tradeoff between color and size.

Have fun shopping!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Black Jade|1321503274|3063473 said:
I agree with the consensus. If someone says they want white diamonds, get F color.
I have an F--it looks like ice from both top and through the sides, I have other colors which are also beautiful but do not look like the F. I got the F because it was what was there in my price range--I had no particular interest in higher colors and had never seen an F. I was surprised at how different it looked than most people's diamonds. The higher colors are rare in the US (especially when properly graded) as most people go for size here, so you don't see them much and its a surprise when you do. Again, not saying others aren't beautiful but they don't look the same as an F. since a desire was expressed for a really white diamond, I think you have a no-brainer here.

Thanks, Black Jade! I appreciate it. You've made me feel very confident in my decision!

I appreciate everyone's advice! If it were for myself I think G might be fine (and apparently there isn't a big difference in price) but now you've got me wanting to have the F's. These might not be for me but you can be assured I'm going to enjoy them! :appl:

Oops! Edited to fix a typo.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
movie zombie|1321503822|3063477 said:
ok, what is is skin tone? will it really matter that much? personally, i'd go "H" but i'd shop around....not all "H" are created equal. i'd especially go "H" if it meant i could bump the size up a bit....

eta: i see above that there is not much of a price difference........so might as well get "F".

Irish and Native American. :love:

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1321504589|3063489 said:
I agree with the consensus on F color in this case. And Danny, VS1 is sadly my preferred clarity, also. Glad someone else shares that quirk with me! ;))

I'm honored to share this quirk with you! :cheeky:

Yes, VS1 is my sweet spot for mind clean. If that's wrong I don't want to be right! :tongue:

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
VRBeauty|1321505148|3063496 said:

In this case I think it's not about what you need but about what he needs, as long as you can afford it. So... if "F" is what will make him happy, whatever the reason, go with "F" if you can.

In the future, if there are other diamond project, you can talk about the tradeoff between color and size.

Have fun shopping!

Thanks! :))

Hey, I started a thread for you in colored stones! Check it out! :saint:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Imdanny|1321509086|3063542 said:
[

Hey, I started a thread for you in colored stones! Check it out! :saint:

=)

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Addy|1321480302|3063181 said:
I voted F. It's a safe colour. Not something I'd buy for me, but if he really likes white diamonds, get them very white!

I told him PS voted for F and he's getting F. He's thrilled!

This has been a very productive thread for me. Thanks again, everyone!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Imdanny|1321501555|3063450 said:
AGBF|1321482679|3063212 said:

Is it?

I don't know. I know the prices for .33 vary a lot depending on the whole if you want D IF thing. I haven't been able to look at a lot of .25 because most vendors don't have pictures of it on their sites. I don't think you meant to say "a quarter pointer" though. Wouldn't that be like 1/4 of 1 point? He wants to be discreet but not that discreet!

As they say in New Orleans, "True dat!". I misspoke. I meant, "Twenty five pointer". But the important thing is that you made your decision and that your SO is happy with it! I really knew he would be if you went with an F!

Hugs,
Deb

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yay for SO getting exactly what he wants! That's a sign of a great partner (in something like this)...if he wanted to jump off of a bridge without a rope and you said "go for it", that's another story, but in this case, he's a lucky guy! ;-) (I'm just trying to make sure that you and anyone else who reads this doesn't assume that my idea of a great partner is one who says "yes" to me no matter what)!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay for F diamond studs. :appl:

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Imdanny|1321536134|3063655 said:
Addy|1321480302|3063181 said:

I told him PS voted for F and he's getting F. He's thrilled!

This has been a very productive thread for me. Thanks again, everyone!

He is happy and thats what counts :)

Have fun shopping!!!

I was in home depot tonight and the sales guy that was helping me had a small but super sparkly stud in his ear. It was distracting me :bigsmile: I think he caught me glancing at his ear. It was probably about the same size you are going to buy and proof that small can be a statement! I'm sure the diamonds you are going to pick out will be fantastic. You will need to post pics.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results