color
clarity

POLL: Papa Bear or Mama Bear??

Which stone for Goldilocks?

• Papa Bear (4.02 L)

Votes: 22 42.3%
  • Mama Bear (3.50 K)

Votes: 25 48.1%
  • You should save your $$ and a whole lot of time spent staring at PS and take your kids to Disneyland

Votes: 5 9.6%

• Total voters

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock
I need to decide between these two amazing OECs this weekend. I'd love to hear what you all think. The faceting on both diamonds is amazing, and they are pretty similar in that respect. Both have great fire and brilliance. Stone 1 seems to have a somewhat steeper crown and thus more of that "ring pop" look.

Stone 1 is $4,000 more expensive than stone 2.

Here's the info:

Stone 1:
3.50 GIA K VS1 (9.54 x 9.83)
G/G, no flr
62.1 d, 51 t

Pros of Stone 1: Higher color and clarity, and thus more "mind clean", I am a bit more comfortable with the size (right now anyway).

Cons of Stone 1: Slightly off round. Size again- this feels like the right size now but may not after DSS. Over-budget (doable but more than I wanted to spend). Choosing stone 1 probably means getting a temp setting and putting off my permanent setting and a new wedding band for a while, which is a bummer.

Stone 2:
4.02 GIA L SI1 (10.11 x 10.15)
G/G, no flr
61 d, 53 t
This stone is pretty clean although in some light if I look closely I can see a small black speck on the far corner of the table.

Pros of Stone 2: Size! I have to admit, I am drawn to large antique stones and a 4ct diamond is tempting (of course!). Price is on-budget and would allow dream setting and perhaps wedding band purchase now. This diamond looks nearly perfectly round.

Cons of Stone 2: Size again! I'm a little worried about whether the diamond looks TOO big (although it seems to have shrunk already!). Color, potentially - I've looked at this L in many different lighting situations and it doesn't trouble me face up (I can see a bit of tint from the side). But maybe I will feel differently when it is set (likely in platinum with single cuts on the shank), or as time goes by? My former stone was a GIA G. Clarity, potentially. I don't LOVE that I can sometimes see that little freckle, although this doesn't bother me tremendously since it's an antique stone.

I will post a bunch of pictures for you guys to consider. I'd love to hear your recommendation based on my notes above, the photos to follow, or both. Thanks guys!

-Goldie

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock
3.50 K VS1 (mama bear!)

img_0590_0.jpg
img_0593_1.jpg
img_0601.jpg
img_0602_0.jpg
img_0605_0.jpg
fullsizerender__2__7.jpg
k7.jpg

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock
4.02 L SI1 (papa bear :naughty: )

l1_2.jpg
l2.jpg
l3.jpg
l4.jpg
l5_0.jpg
l6.jpg
oec__.jpg

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock
Comparison photos.

compare1.jpg
compare4_0.jpg

L is on the right.
compare2_0.jpg
compare3.jpg

The larger two stones are the K and the L.
compare5.jpg
compare6.jpg
compare7.jpg

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock
...aaaaaand a video. Which looked much better on my phone. and yes at some point it did cross my mind that staying up until the wee hours posting videos and photos of diamonds online may not be exactly healthy. or normal. :shhh:

The L is on the left.
**edited by moderator, no personal video links please per our policies**

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
In photos, the faceting of K seems more symmetrical than that of L. Which look whiter to you in most lighting conditions? Which diamond is more appealing in terms of performance, disregarding size and price?

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock
thecat|1445064228|3939160 said:
In photos, the faceting of K seems more symmetrical than that of L. Which look whiter to you in most lighting conditions? Which diamond is more appealing in terms of performance, disregarding size and price?

The performance is very close, but if I had to give an edge to faceting it would be to the larger diamond. First, it's rounder, which helps - the 3.50 is slightly off round. Second, it's a larger, so the facets are wider and broader and easier to see, which I like. The smaller stone seems to have a tad more fire though, and I prefer its somewhat steeper crown.

Perhaps I am not very color sensitive but I don't notice a real face-up color difference between the two stones. I do see more tint in the L from the side. I *think* I am going to be okay with either a K or an L color, but I'm new to antique stones and warmer colors so that's one where I think only time will tell.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
From your response, I'd think the L is a better choice due to its performance owing to larger size. I think both are great choices and you can't go wrong. I'd pick the L if the tint from side and occasional glimpse of black speck don't bother you.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
To be honest, they are both beautiful stones and I am no help. :shifty:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was going to say I preferred the more symmetrical patterning/facets of stone 1 but now after reading everything you wrote they are both beautiful and perhaps chose the larger one if it makes your heart go pitter patter. The size is awesome and if it appears just as bright and lively IRLas the 3.5 stone I say go for the larger one. It does NOT look too big. Just sayin... :cheeky:

Veltiesmom said:
thecat|1445064228|3939160 said:

The performance is very close, but if I had to give an edge to faceting it would be to the larger diamond. First, it's rounder, which helps - the 3.50 is slightly off round. Second, it's a larger, so the facets are wider and broader and easier to see, which I like. The smaller stone seems to have a tad more fire though, and I prefer its somewhat steeper crown.

Perhaps I am not very color sensitive but I don't notice a real face-up color difference between the two stones. I do see more tint in the L from the side. I *think* I am going to be okay with either a K or an L color, but I'm new to antique stones and warmer colors so that's one where I think only time will tell.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Veltiesmom

A dissenter here. My vote is to go with the smaller K stone. 'Smaller' here is a misleading term - 9.5mm+ is a huge stone by any reckoning. Various settings can easily disguise a slightly out of round stone, and the size difference would be negligible and virtually impossible to see if, for instance, you were thinking of haloing it.

However, the extra side tint in the L is never going away, and that speck you can see is the thing upgrades are made of. So if you're looking for a forever ring, I say go with the K.

Good luck!

Kasey3

Shiny_Rock
I like the K-I think the facet pattern is a little better. Have you looked at Grace's inventory? She has some large stones that have IMO perfect facet patterns-and less expensive than the K you are considering.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i love the petals under the table of the K, i dont think the L is as symmetric.

Plus a K is as low as I choose to go, which is why i like the color

plus if there was any chance youd feel like the 4ct is too big, id pic the (slightly) smaller

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally like the L more.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I upgraded my ring I got a round that was 9.70. I was obsessed with getting to the 10 mm mark and I kept looking around. Jim Schultz (who I didn't get the stone from, but who I talked to along the way) put it in perspective for me. He said, "YOU might be able to tell the difference but to the entire rest of the world you would have one big (9.70 mm) diamond or a different big (10 mm) diamond. No one else will EVER be able to tell the difference." So if it's a matter of being uncomfortable with what others in your social circle may think (judge! -- and damn them, don't we all!), I honestly don't think it will make one bit of difference. The same people on the soccer field, at the PTA meeting and in the grocery store who think one is big will think the other is big too. Not to mention, as a bunch of PSers have pointed out, diamonds shrink over time, and the difference between the size of these two stones is TINY. Really. Step away from the calipers and buy the one you love!!!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And speaking of "upgrades," thanks to Windows 10 my computer is all screwed up and does stupid sh!t like this all the time. Sorry for the double post, this laptop now has a mind of its own.

(Double post removed.)

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I would go for the K VS1. I don't want any spots showing on my diamond.

Annette

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just looking at them quickly I prefer the L, but I also prefer warmer diamonds, especially old cuts :)

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a wonderful dilemma to have, they are both big and beautiful stones, you can't really go wrong with either IMO. I prefer the L out of the two, maybe I'm a bit swayed by the size but you only go around once in this life, why not live large lol.

In certain pics the facet pattern of the K does look a bit more organized than the L, but from a normal viewing distance I'm not sure that's really too noticeable? It's great that you can compare them side by side so that you can see for yourself. I have an OEC and the faceting pattern isn't what would be considered perfect, but when I look at my stone during the course of the day all I really see is sparkle. I'm not dissing the importance of faceting pattern, and luckily you can decide for yourself which you prefer.

I know you can't judge color in pics, but yours are good and I really can't detect any difference in color. I don't think I'm that color sensitive though, and there might be differences in different lighting situations. You mention seeing color from the side with the L, so you need to decide if that is going to bother you. Again, you're the best judge of that since you have both in hand.

Being self-conscious about size seems to be a concern, you seem to have mixed feelings right now - but the K is a very large stone too, so you might face the same issue with it as you would the L. Those ring holders make diamonds look even bigger because the stone sits up so high in them. But both stones are still big though lol! I think both sizes look very elegant and beautiful on you.

You mentioned the inclusion several times, you'll have to figure out how well you can see it and if it bugs you. My diamond is an EGL SI2 and I can only see the inclusion in specific lighting conditions, the stone has to be 3 inches from my eye and tilted in a certain direction. I truly cannot see it 99.9% of the time so it doesn't bother me. But this might be the deciding factor for you, the K might be the better choice if the inclusion is bothersome to you.

My last thought is that the price difference is fairly substantial (at least to me :cheeky: ) so that is something I would keep in mind if I was deciding.

These are just my non-expert thoughts - good luck with your decision, thanks for sharing with us, it's fun to imagine having to make such a choice!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"On paper" - based on your descriptions of the stones, I'd say Stone 2. Less expensive, more symmetrical, slightly larger, and the color difference is minor. As to the carbon spot - there was a time that would have ruled out a ring for me. Then I got my 3-stone OEC ring, which I love, and noticed that there is a small black crystal in it's "VS2" center stone. From the side I can spot easily with my 30X loupe, but without my loupe... not a chance. Since I love my ring and I'm not about to fool around with it, I learned to love my little crystal too (which is actually very neat - it's kind of boomerang-shaped.) So a small black spot would not be a deal-killer for me, although I totally understand why it might be for many others.

In Pictures however, I really like how Stone 1 looks on your hand, and for some reason I like the facet pattern on Stone 1 better. So I voted for Stone 1. HOWEVER I'm also aware that the temporary "rings" don't really reflect how each stone will look on your hand in its final setting, and that you'll be making setting choices that will change how the stone looks relative to your hand.

Dee*Jay|1445089176|3939224 said:
He said, "YOU might be able to tell the difference but to the entire rest of the world you would have one big (9.70 mm) diamond or a different big (10 mm) diamond. No one else will EVER be able to tell the difference."

This!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You did ask for opinions and this is not the Show Me the Bling forum where you only offer compliments, and I'm going to get flogged for saying this but ...
IMO the larger one is too big for your hand.

Yes, people vary.
If you want that look then go for it.

On this topic, Liz Taylor nailed it.
I'm too lazy to look up the exact quotes, but ...
Liz met Princess Margaret, who responded to Liz's 33-carat asscher ring by saying, "How Vulgar!"
But when the princess tried it on Liz didn't miss a beat.
She said, "It's not so vulgar now, is it?"

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I adore the L.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does it have to be one of these two stones? Because, based on your posts here, it doesn't sound to me that either of them really "sing" to you. It seems to me that if the larger stone had the table/crown and clarity of the (slightly) smaller stone, *that* would be your dream stone...

No reason to settle - though it may take more time, your OEC is out there - I think if you choose one of these simply because both of them are available and physically in front of you (and of course both are beautiful), and not because every time you look down at your hand, you think "gosh almighty, this rock is really it!" - well, I think disappointment will set in at some point that you didn't end up with your holy grail stone.

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock
kenny|1445102334|3939302 said:
You did ask for opinions and this is not the Show Me the Bling forum where you only offer compliments, and I'm going to get flogged for saying this but ...
IMO the larger one is too big for your hand.

Yes, people vary.
If you want that look then go for it.

On this topic, Liz Taylor nailed it.
I'm too lazy to look up the exact quotes, but ...
Liz met Princess Margaret, who responded to Liz's 33-carat asscher ring by saying, "How Vulgar!"
But when the princess tried it on Liz didn't miss a beat.
She said, "It's not so vulgar now, is it?"

This does not offend me AT ALL. This is why I asked. ALL opinions are welcome! Thank you Kenny and everyone else for helping me make this decision. Truthfully I really love both diamonds. My head is telling me the K (higher color, cleaner, better profile) but for some reason I just keep coming back to that L. Hmmmm.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mama looks better on your finger to me .

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm repeating myself, but I think the 2 things you have to consider is if the inclusion and the tint from the side view are going to bother you. Unless I'm missing something, those seem to be the 2 main issues.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think we (or you) are getting an accurate view of what either stone will really look like given that they are in those crazy high temp settings, which makes everything look like the light beacon on top of the Eiffel Tower.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The L is a really nice size when you compare to the K & I think both look great on your finger. As for colour, I am colour sensitive & I saw the difference between J-K-L but if you aren't then I think there is no issue between the K & L. I do like the K's faceting better though. The wonky dimensions won't be so noticeable once it's been set. If you choose a halo, that will help camouflage it as well. For $4K more, I would stick with the K. I read your last response just before I typed my response but if you keep going back to the L, then you keep going back to the L. ;)) I understand it's a lot of money & you can analyze the numbers to death but in this case, either choice is beautiful, so you just have to go with your heart. :))
Judy

baroque

Shiny_Rock
I vote Papa all the way! Beautiful stone! BTW, I have a VS2 stone and I can see a "freckle" in the table off to the side when I look very closely. Doesn't bother me and if my budget could have gone bigger in carat, I sure would have! Beautiful faceting in both stones though, you can't go wrong!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I liked the way Mama Bear looked better but...if you are after size I dont think Papa Bear was looking to bad himself!

Edit - apparently your kids have logged on and voted 3 times :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results