color
clarity

POLL: Papa Bear or Mama Bear??

Which stone for Goldilocks?

• Papa Bear (4.02 L)

Votes: 22 42.3%
  • Mama Bear (3.50 K)

Votes: 25 48.1%
  • You should save your $$ and a whole lot of time spent staring at PS and take your kids to Disneyland

Votes: 5 9.6%

• Total voters

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If this is an accurate photo reflecting what you see irl,it reflects why I think the K symmetry is better.

compare2_0.jpg

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock
It is, sort of. I found it hard when holding two stones in stone holders in one hand to get them both facing perfectly at you at the same time. Usually one ends up looking a little teensy bit tilted.

Is it the table facets you're referring to on the symmetry? I.e. The flower petals? Because to me, the K always looks a little wonkier than the L overall, due to the off-roundness.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Veltiesmom|1445124737|3939395 said:
It is, sort of. I found it hard when holding two stones in stone holders in one hand to get them both facing perfectly at you at the same time. Usually one ends up looking a little teensy bit tilted.

Is it the table facets you're referring to on the symmetry? I.e. The flower petals? Because to me, the K always looks a little wonkier than the L overall, due to the off-roundness.

Yeah I'm referring to the facets under the table. I forgive off-round-ness as they've had a hard life lol.

The facets seem a better battern, I don't see as much of a pattern in your pics of the l. Plus seems like more of the facets are "on" at a time.

How will you set it, again?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to comment to those who voted for Disneyland (just in case it wasn't her kids).....I am quite sure she is is not going to deny her kids a trip to Disneyland due to upgrading her diamond ring. People who have the money to upgrade diamonds generally also can afford vacations, ya know?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the terms cut pattern and symmetry are getting confused. What you are saying is the overall shape is more symmetrical in the larger stone which I can clearly see Mama Bear has a more wonky outline. Niel is seeing the cut pattern inside the smaller stone which I observe appears to be more visually pleasing and symmetrical looking in your photos than the larger stone.

I think it depends if the inclusion that is bugging you in the big guy is prongable or you can hide it in a setting if so then I'd get the bigger stone, but I like size when it comes down to it.

Pluses for the smaller stone are higher crown more fire and if you can't hide the inclusion in the other stone being eye clean. Putting the smaller stone into an 8 prong setting or something like it will help hide the wonky outline....

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was one of those referring to symmetry but I guessed I wasn't clear. I was referring to symmetry of faceting inside the 3.50 ct. Since the outline of K isn't too off round, I can overlook that and would prefer the K's more symmetrical faceting to that of L's. I was under the impression that sometimes better symmetry in faceting would lead to better light performance but I may be wrong since I'm not a prosumer. But this doesn't seem to be the case here as you noted that the L has better light return. If so, symmetry in faceting isn't important in this comparison and you should just pick which makes your heart sings. Either way, both will appear huge to others. Personally I voted for K due to better symmetry, more fire, less side tint and no black speck compared to L. But K is $4k more so the L is a better choice if you're alright with the side tint of L and the occasional glimpse of black speck.

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock
How will you set it, again?

I think I will set in a vintage-style mounting - I am contemplating a solitaire with single cuts on the shank. Or perhaps the lovely CvB Chloe.
No halo or bezel.

Oh and yes - the Disney thing was but a joke. :sun:

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am having a hard time deciding!I think they are both stunning.If It were me, I would go with the bigger one.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I prefer warmer colors, personally-I have L's and an M and they are perfect for me. Having said that, I prefer the patterning in the K over the L a little bit more, and I don't see the off round shape of the K b/c I'm too busy looking at the facets.

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I prefer the faceting on the K.

My J has an inclusion that is visible in bright, bright, direct sunlight sometimes. It really bugged me at first, but it's rare that being in that the of light occurs for me. So I will live with it until I possibly upgrade (don't tell DH!). The inclusion would bug me if I could see it in many different light settings.

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
Lucky you!

It seems to me you like the 'L'. It is lovely on you. I also think it is a GORGEOUS diamond. That said-

I prefer the 'K'. For me, it would be an easy decision, that is how much I prefer it. High crowns slay me. I also prefer the faceting.

I'm not sure how you are going to go with the 'freckle'. It could be something that bothers you more over time. Do you find yourself looking for it? I have a freckle/small mole near my lip and could easily see myself rationalizing anything if I loved a diamond. If it was 'the one'.

If you have an emotional connection to the 'L', I think that is what you should pay attention to. This is 'your' diamond, which one do you love?

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go with your gut! If you lean toward the L, maybe it's choosing YOU.
It's bigger and on budget. I love it! "L" for love, for lucky, for luscious...

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think they're both beautiful.

If you are trying to talk yourself into the K, you should get the L. I think that is what your gut is telling you.

With diamonds, you should go with your heart. (my advice would be different regarding a relationship)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results