shape
carat
color
clarity

POLL: HOT OR NOT? (or, do I have Buyer's remorse, or am I letting recent discouragement colour my decision-making?)

Awful? Awesome? What should I do?

• Return it and eat the shipping costs

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • Keep it and try to get as much use out of it as possible (cost per wear)

Votes: 17 48.6%
  • Keep it and go to therapy and/or Meditation class

Votes: 8 22.9%

• Total voters

VintageJewelryLover

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for your responses!

It was a fitful night of indecision and when I awoke, my decision was made, and here's why:

When I think of Hera, the cost never occurs to me. Can't even recall it exactly, when looking at her. I have mental peace with what I paid (and she definitely wasn't a 'bargain') and I look forward to experiencing her every chance I get. Same with Marjorie. Same with my 4-strand coral beads. None of them could be called a 'good deal' but regardless of actual price, it was fair enough and I will only lose a little when they move on. Peace. Pure enjoyment. Mind-clean, in Pricescope Parlance.

This chain was beautiful and really unique, but my mind couldn't let go of the twinge of pain in order to relax and enjoy the flush of pleasure in wearing it. My stomach kept sinking when I looked down at it.

So I contacted the seller to start the process (and, surprise! A new 're-stocking fee' of $14 which wasn't disclosed). That's what my grandfather would call "a sting in the tail".

I probably won't find another textured link chain like it again, but the sense of relief as I handed it over to the post office lady this morning has flooded me with endorphins and I think I made the right choice. I hope someone else loves it (and gets a better price than I did!)

But after all that, can I just say THANK YOU to everyone who voted, commented, or even silently read, my post. Having a community of engaged and interested people is incredibly valuable. Whether I made the right call or not, I appreciate the feedback.

With the feelings you had you made the right choice! You never want to feel regret and not enjoy a piece you are wearing.

OneKuhlChic

Shiny_Rock
Have been going through a bit of a personally challenging time lately, and my recent purchase is still within the return period (i.e.- I still have about 24 hours to decide).

Backstory: I've been trying to concentrate solely on building the 'Grand Tour' capsule, as it is the look I generally prefer for work (WFH via Zoom) and with this most recent purchase I jumped off the deep end, overspent my comfort zone (I mean, for a piece that in theory would be versatile enough for me to justify the expense). But after I received it, I started to lose confidence. It was about double the scrap value, and I'm generally frugal, and this makes me really uncomfortable. I usually try to minimise my losses at resale, and this piece would lose me a lot if I let it go again. But at the same time, I've never seen another one like it, and it lets me wear my Hera cameo as a bracelet.

Click for better view of texture: 0.jpg

It is a 14k watch chain, 15" in length, and over 25 grams. The Striated texture is what grabbed my attention. It has a satin finish, which I prefer to high polish. First pic is how I wore it Friday last, and then again yesterday I added the bangle:

bracelet 3.jpg

0.jpg
Does it look cheap, like brass? Is it awful? At 15", I won't be able to wear it as a necklace unless I attach an extender. Am I letting my fears and insecurities steer me wrong? Have you ever overspent and then been happy that you did? Will I regret returning it?

Sigh. Please tell me your thoughts.

Keep it and wear as a bracelet!!! I've been wearing my bracelet every day since 2009. It's worn, but well loved.
I've also been wearing four gold bangle bracelets on my other wrist every day for years.

The cameo is beautiful but not for every day wear. Out to dinner or something fancy but for work, I'd worry about damaging.
CF9BE3D5-077B-4ED5-99F0-63F271B9FF73.jpeg

OneKuhlChic

Shiny_Rock
Have been going through a bit of a personally challenging time lately, and my recent purchase is still within the return period (i.e.- I still have about 24 hours to decide).

Backstory: I've been trying to concentrate solely on building the 'Grand Tour' capsule, as it is the look I generally prefer for work (WFH via Zoom) and with this most recent purchase I jumped off the deep end, overspent my comfort zone (I mean, for a piece that in theory would be versatile enough for me to justify the expense). But after I received it, I started to lose confidence. It was about double the scrap value, and I'm generally frugal, and this makes me really uncomfortable. I usually try to minimise my losses at resale, and this piece would lose me a lot if I let it go again. But at the same time, I've never seen another one like it, and it lets me wear my Hera cameo as a bracelet.

Click for better view of texture: 0.jpg

It is a 14k watch chain, 15" in length, and over 25 grams. The Striated texture is what grabbed my attention. It has a satin finish, which I prefer to high polish. First pic is how I wore it Friday last, and then again yesterday I added the bangle:

bracelet 3.jpg

0.jpg
Does it look cheap, like brass? Is it awful? At 15", I won't be able to wear it as a necklace unless I attach an extender. Am I letting my fears and insecurities steer me wrong? Have you ever overspent and then been happy that you did? Will I regret returning it?

Sigh. Please tell me your thoughts.

It doesn't look like brass, it looks antiqued. You can clean the gold if you're worried about looking brassy. However, I'd lose the bangle as that detracts from the linked gold bracelet and does (sorry) look like brass...

goldnsilver

Shiny_Rock
Thank you everyone for your responses!

It was a fitful night of indecision and when I awoke, my decision was made, and here's why:

When I think of Hera, the cost never occurs to me. Can't even recall it exactly, when looking at her. I have mental peace with what I paid (and she definitely wasn't a 'bargain') and I look forward to experiencing her every chance I get. Same with Marjorie. Same with my 4-strand coral beads. None of them could be called a 'good deal' but regardless of actual price, it was fair enough and I will only lose a little when they move on. Peace. Pure enjoyment. Mind-clean, in Pricescope Parlance.

This chain was beautiful and really unique, but my mind couldn't let go of the twinge of pain in order to relax and enjoy the flush of pleasure in wearing it. My stomach kept sinking when I looked down at it.

So I contacted the seller to start the process (and, surprise! A new 're-stocking fee' of $14 which wasn't disclosed). That's what my grandfather would call "a sting in the tail".

I probably won't find another textured link chain like it again, but the sense of relief as I handed it over to the post office lady this morning has flooded me with endorphins and I think I made the right choice. I hope someone else loves it (and gets a better price than I did!)

But after all that, can I just say THANK YOU to everyone who voted, commented, or even silently read, my post. Having a community of engaged and interested people is incredibly valuable. Whether I made the right call or not, I appreciate the feedback.

I meant to say thank you for updating us! I'm glad to hear that you felt relief upon returning the purchase, that's definitely a sign that you were doing the right thing for your collection.

My stomach kept sinking when I looked down at it.

I can't describe how much I resonate with what you said there. To be honest it's what I feel every time I I look at or put on my ering after its recent failed repair that changed its look. I'd try so hard to make myself enjoy it, but it just gets worse the longer I spend with it. That's how I know I may just have to give up on this ring and figure out something new, but it's definitely easier said than done! I'm happy that your dilemma was easier to resolve.

The 10% restocking fee is a bummer, but I think it's worth it for having the item in your hands to make a fully informed decision. The way I look at it with online shopping when it happens, is that if I have to go into town (or another town) to check out things in brick-and-mortar shops, that takes gas/public transport money and extra precious time, so it works out about fair in the end if it's something I truly want to see. 8)

goldnsilver

Shiny_Rock
I returned it and paid the restocking fee. It was immediately relisted and sold for 30% less than I paid. The new owner got a much better deal and I wish them well!

Wow that's a pretty steep discount. Hope you'll find the chain that'll make your heart sing soon (if you're still on the lookout for one). The best thing about antique hunting, is that there's always something amazing around the corner!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results