Which stone do you like better?

• The Emerald

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • The Asscher

Votes: 25 86.2%

• Total voters

LoveMeDo

Shiny_Rock
Hi! Would anyone with emerald cut expertise please help me evaluate the following two stones? They're quite different both in size, shape and color, but both speak to me from what I've seen so far!

The Emerald is a larger stone (5ct+) and much more elongated. I'm told it's amazingly clear and faces up very white. A few videos:

Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 12.33.48 PM.png

The Asscher is a bit smaller in size (4ct+) but is much whiter and an antique stone:

Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 12.35.42 PM.png

I'm ultimately looking for a bright stone with as little light leakage as possible. Do you guys have any thoughts??

Thank you!!

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
It's a very black/white question for two cuts that have so many grey areas in terms of what's considered desirable. For example, I voted Asscher but I'm not a fan of larger stones that have longer corner edges as they start looking like an octagon. The 4ct Asscher looks lovely but I would choose an EC over it. It's just not my idea of a perfect Asscher but it might be yours!

As for the 5ct EC though, I couldn't pin-point what the problem was for me, but it looks like it barely has any corner edges? It looks like a Carre cut on an emerald. Everything else about it is gorgeous but it's not my ideal EC lol

What matters is if you like them, and which look you prefer.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I just stumbled upon @MakingTheGrade 's emerald cut ring on this thread: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-thin-super-sparkly-band.260866/#post-4842722

Her EC is more to my taste personally. It has a more antique look (I think it may be an antique emerald?) whereas your EC has a more modern look with smaller corners. I'm not sure if you've seen other ECs and Asschers in your hunt but if those two speak to you, then it's a matter of choosing which cut appeals to you the most. If unsure, go and check as many more as you can out. 4/5ct is worth the hunt to find the perfect one for you!

LoveMeDo

Shiny_Rock
I just stumbled upon @MakingTheGrade 's emerald cut ring on this thread: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-thin-super-sparkly-band.260866/#post-4842722

Her EC is more to my taste personally. It has a more antique look (I think it may be an antique emerald?) whereas your EC has a more modern look with smaller corners. I'm not sure if you've seen other ECs and Asschers in your hunt but if those two speak to you, then it's a matter of choosing which cut appeals to you the most. If unsure, go and check as many more as you can out. 4/5ct is worth the hunt to find the perfect one for you!

Thank you so much for the feedback! I think I’m leaning more toward the 4ct asscher as of right now - it’s an antique stone and I LOVE this cvb setting with a similar size/cut. For this setting I love the cut corners...I just want to make sure the stone performance and light return are amazing. The Emerald caught my eye as a great large, clean stone for a solitaire - but I’m thinking I might enjoy more details to look at.

1781C496-9C24-4E84-822E-DA0EF3A68C9D.jpeg

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
They are both emerald cuts as both have a keel technically.

LoveMeDo

Shiny_Rock
They are both emerald cuts as both have a keel technically.

This is true, thank you for clarifying! Are you able to tell from the videos if the cuts on these seem ok from a performance and light return perspective? Especially the second one, the antique. Thank you!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That first Emerald looks very static. Steps dont look like they are flashing on/off. Not sure if its the stone or the video but I dont like what I see.
(I would need to see an upclose video but would need to make sure the camera isnt blocking the light).

The second stone looks better but I would still need to see a better upclose video.

LoveMeDo

Shiny_Rock
That first Emerald looks very static. Steps dont look like they are flashing on/off. Not sure if its the stone or the video but I dont like what I see.
(I would need to see an upclose video but would need to make sure the camera isnt blocking the light).

The second stone looks better but I would still need to see a better upclose video.

I was concerned about the emerald looking glassy in the videos...I'm really leaning away from it at this point.

Here is another photo and a few more videos of the other one - would love to hear your thoughts!

50278-Hand 3.jpg

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Ahhh! Yes, the second stone is an EC too, going by the latest photo. Very nice stone and I would much prefer that to the first 5ct one. It's not a super elongated EC, and from a distance and depending on setting, might look within the bounds of an Asscher ratio, but unless you're after that 1:1 square, I think it's got nice proportions. Love to see some outside videos :D

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Totally agree about the emerald. I would pass if this is all I could see.
With regard to the asscher, is it the one from Jogani? I have seen the videos and it looks gorgeous. But I hesitate due to the strong blue Fluor on a D. If you don’t mind then I would definitely be willing to examine it IRL.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Asscher (square emerald :tongue: ) for me!

The strong blue Fluor is cool IMO :) but the market does not think so... lol

I would ignore 'fashion', though, and get what I liked!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes this is exactly what I thought as well watching the videos. Something about the first stone. It's not lively as far as I can tell. The second stone is much more appealing to my eye. But I would need to see more videos to be able to say yes take the second stone. Don't settle. Make sure it is what you want and would love wearing.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The second one is definitely more appealing in my eyes. Have you checked it out in different lighting situations (outside). Specifically, outside under
the shade of a tree (if it's a good stone) should let the steps do their flashing/walking. Shouldn't see too many steps off (black) at the same time (I dont think
it has this issue). Shouldn't be able to see through the stone.

The shape is appealing.

Are you seeing the stone in person or is a jeweler sending you videos?

LoveMeDo

Shiny_Rock
Totally agree about the emerald. I would pass if this is all I could see.
With regard to the asscher, is it the one from Jogani? I have seen the videos and it looks gorgeous. But I hesitate due to the strong blue Fluor on a D. If you don’t mind then I would definitely be willing to examine it IRL.

Yes it is! I’ve seen it in person and it doesn’t look hazy whatsoever. I actually love the SBF! I don’t think it should even appear unless under direct sunlight right? I also love the idea of having a D color stone.

On the flip side, the diamond is quite pricey so I don’t want to make any mistakes. I love that CVB setting so much. I just need to decide if I would ever tire of such a specific ring...

It’s all very confusing. I love so many different rings and diamond shapes. If I don’t do an Emerald, I have also considered an ACA in Victor Canera halo. I know that’s totally different, but I keep going back and forth.

Really appreciate all of the feedback so much!!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes it is! I’ve seen it in person and it doesn’t look hazy whatsoever. I actually love the SBF! I don’t think it should even appear unless under direct sunlight right? I also love the idea of having a D color stone.

On the flip side, the diamond is quite pricey so I don’t want to make any mistakes. I love that CVB setting so much. I just need to decide if I would ever tire of such a specific ring...

It’s all very confusing. I love so many different rings and diamond shapes. If I don’t do an Emerald, I have also considered an ACA in Victor Canera halo. I know that’s totally different, but I keep going back and forth.

Really appreciate all of the feedback so much!!

I totally understand. I think a D in a step cut would be AMAZING. I was just worried if I ever had to resell, I the strong blue fluor with a D might make it difficult. Are you ok with those twinning wisps? I was just thinking that for that money, I could not compromise that much. If you aren't worried about these things, I would totally consider it. Whether you would get tired is a hard call. I think this varies for each person. My "getting bored" timeline is about 2-3 years. You could always resent. And when you do get bored, you may be plenty ready to get something new. I would check with Victor to see if he is willing to set an ACA before you commit to an ACA.

Jr3

Rough_Rock
I have seen some extremely lovely emeralds, keep looking!! This one is not attractive to my eye at all in my absolute honest opinion. I like the emeralds that have clipped corners though (if that is what it is called) I am no expert, but I can tell you I have seen some emeralds that are beyond breathtaking. A few from Leon, some from graff and harry winston

I love @gummibears ring, and cannot remember who owns "kruppy" but it is also a Leon ring I believe and they are both exquisite!

LoveMeDo

Shiny_Rock
I totally understand. I think a D in a step cut would be AMAZING. I was just worried if I ever had to resell, I the strong blue fluor with a D might make it difficult. Are you ok with those twinning wisps? I was just thinking that for that money, I could not compromise that much. If you aren't worried about these things, I would totally consider it. Whether you would get tired is a hard call. I think this varies for each person. My "getting bored" timeline is about 2-3 years. You could always resent. And when you do get bored, you may be plenty ready to get something new. I would check with Victor to see if he is willing to set an ACA before you commit to an ACA.

This completely makes sense! I'm always so interested to find that people see fluorescence as a negative. If it has no visible impact on the stone or its performance, I guess I don't see why it would be an issue. I know it's more desirable in lower color stones, but if that's what it takes to get a D color stone...might be worth the "sacrifice." :)

Do you think the twinning wisps compromise the strength of the stone? That's what would be of most concern to me.

Thank you!!

LoveMeDo

Shiny_Rock
I have seen some extremely lovely emeralds, keep looking!! This one is not attractive to my eye at all in my absolute honest opinion. I like the emeralds that have clipped corners though (if that is what it is called) I am no expert, but I can tell you I have seen some emeralds that are beyond breathtaking. A few from Leon, some from graff and harry winston

I love @gummibears ring, and cannot remember who owns "kruppy" but it is also a Leon ring I believe and they are both exquisite!

Totally agree on the Emerald. I'm now wondering why I even considered it. Honestly, it was likely the size and price combo - which are not the factors that should be guiding me in this process!

What do you think of the second option, the more square shape with the clipped corners?

Thanks!

Reactions: Jr3

Jr3

Rough_Rock
Totally agree on the Emerald. I'm now wondering why I even considered it. Honestly, it was likely the size and price combo - which are not the factors that should be guiding me in this process!

What do you think of the second option, the more square shape with the clipped corners?

Thanks!

I like it a lot better (I really do not know a lot about emeralds or asschers I just go based off what the eye likes lol) but it would not be my personal choice as I would buy a 1 carat D IF emerald with the clipped type corners like gummibears ring and the kruppy ring someone has on here - ill see if I can find pictures for you.
I could never pull off anything bigger than a carat haha

BUT my personal preference out of the way I like it a lot for an asscher and think it would be a lovely stone for the settings posted on here or even as a solitaire!

Jr3

Rough_Rock
Screenshot_20201026-144239_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20201026-144250_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20201026-144455_Chrome.jpg
these are beyond gorgeous

LoveMeDo

Shiny_Rock
Screenshot_20201026-144239_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20201026-144250_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20201026-144455_Chrome.jpg
these are beyond gorgeous

Beautiful, thank you for pulling those references! I guess technically the second option I posted is an Emerald with clipped corners but it strikes me more as an asscher. Either way, it feels very special! Now just need to think on it a bit more...

Reactions: Jr3

Jr3

Rough_Rock
Beautiful, thank you for pulling those references! I guess technically the second option I posted is an Emerald with clipped corners but it strikes me more as an asscher. Either way, it feels very special! Now just need to think on it a bit more...

It is an antique too, right? It looks to me to be a pretty special stone:) going back and re watching the videos!! Also, so welcome!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

videos of the D SI1.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This completely makes sense! I'm always so interested to find that people see fluorescence as a negative. If it has no visible impact on the stone or its performance, I guess I don't see why it would be an issue. I know it's more desirable in lower color stones, but if that's what it takes to get a D color stone...might be worth the "sacrifice." :)

Do you think the twinning wisps compromise the strength of the stone? That's what would be of most concern to me.

Thank you!!

I think inclusions are very personal. I have a mental block about SI1s, and just don't like twinning wisps not because I worry about the integrity of the stone, but rather they're there at all. In MRBs, I know some people prefer them the most. I meant that for that much money, I want a cleaner stone, and not strong blue fluor on a D. But if YOU love it, and different things bother you, then definitely do what is right for you. I think from a visual standpoint, that is a GORGEOUS stone, and I do LOVE a D stepcut. I do wonder about one point. Are the twinning wisps visible to the naked eye? That would bother me, but maybe not you. Or maybe they are not visible. Those are just harder to conceal in a step cut.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Late to this thread, but I don't like the cut on the J at all. I do love the D other than I'd absolutely have to see it in person to know if I could handle SI1 clarity in a step cut that size. But I absolutely adore the setting by Caysie you posted above! That would be a dream ring for sure!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
An antique stone that's a D! Oh baby that gets my vote!

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
yes, to the antique d! i just LOVE that octagonal ring with the air gap and the compass points!!

LoveMeDo

Shiny_Rock
Late to this thread, but I don't like the cut on the J at all. I do love the D other than I'd absolutely have to see it in person to know if I could handle SI1 clarity in a step cut that size. But I absolutely adore the setting by Caysie you posted above! That would be a dream ring for sure!

Isn't that ring beyond amazing?? I would hope I wouldn't tire of it - I drool over all of the posts about that ring frequently!!

LoveMeDo

Shiny_Rock
yes, to the antique d! i just LOVE that octagonal ring with the air gap and the compass points!!

Right?? It's honestly one of the most amazing pieces of art I have ever laid eyes on!! Sigh. :kiss2:

LoveMeDo

Shiny_Rock
Went back to see it - there's no doubt that this is an amazing, amazing stone. The only way to describe this diamond is to say that IT GLOWS. It literally glows. I took it into all different types of light, including the most harsh yellow light I could find, and it still shined white and bright.

The stone is crystal clear without being transparent, with no haze or milky appearance. You cannot see a SINGLE inclusion without a loupe. You can see a couple small ones just a tiny bit in close up photos, but not at all with the naked eye. They still feel that this is an antique asscher vs. an emerald - it doesn't really matter to me either way, because it's just gorgeous!

I'm going to think about it a bit more, but mostly from a financial standpoint. I really do love it so much... :loopy:

F513F663-2440-4D6E-826A-81525780EA76.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results