• no

Votes: 48 80.0%

• Total voters

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
jaysonsmom|1410891050|3751974 said:
kenny|1410838691|3751637 said:
I find it VERY annoying when people do 'cute' things with names, like Phrank.

You would find my son's name annoying then. I named my son "Jayson". The spelling was intentional, because hubby's name is Jay. Hubby wanted to name him Jay Jr. but I put my foot down. Didn't want to have to call him Junior to differentiate him from hubby. We live in So Cal, where most of the Latino population have a "Junior" at home. Jayson was the compromise, and I find it unique and not annoying. Most people have told me they like it. My son is just annoyed that he can never find mugs, keychains etc Jayson spelled OUR way.

Niel, If you and your husband have found a name that you both love I'd use the name and not care what others say or think, Agreeing on a name isn't as easy as it would seem. My husband and I had a hard time agreeing on a name for our dog. I can only imagine what naming a child would have been like.

If you choose to pick an unusual spelling I agree with what Jaysonsmom said above. I remember quite a few times my niece being in tears because we couldn't find a mug or keychain with the correct spelling of her name.

I will never understand people who feel the need to tell expectant parents they do not like the name they have chosen.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1410910490|3752190 said:
jaysonsmom|1410891050|3751974 said:
kenny|1410838691|3751637 said:
I find it VERY annoying when people do 'cute' things with names, like Phrank.

You would find my son's name annoying then. I named my son "Jayson". The spelling was intentional, because hubby's name is Jay. Hubby wanted to name him Jay Jr. but I put my foot down. Didn't want to have to call him Junior to differentiate him from hubby. We live in So Cal, where most of the Latino population have a "Junior" at home. Jayson was the compromise, and I find it unique and not annoying. Most people have told me they like it. My son is just annoyed that he can never find mugs, keychains etc Jayson spelled OUR way.

Niel, If you and your husband have found a name that you both love I'd use the name and not care what others say or think, Agreeing on a name isn't as easy as it would seem. My husband and I had a hard time agreeing on a name for our dog. I can only imagine what naming a child would have been like.

If you choose to pick an unusual spelling I agree with what Jaysonsmom said above. I remember quite a few times my niece being in tears because we couldn't find a mug or keychain with the correct spelling of her name.

I will never understand people who feel the need to tell expectant parents they do not like the name they have chosen

My husband and I have always agreed that for actual friends and family (vs virtual friends ;-) ) we would not divulge the name until its born. I've said before, but I think names are like haircuts. Before you do it everyone has an opinion. After people usually keep their opinions to themselves.

tuckie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I fully think that people are entitled to name their kids just about anything they feel is right - and similarly I am entitled to my opinion about those choices. That said, I should likely keep those opinions to myself!

My mother, father, brother and I have versions of the same name as our middle name, and I like this unifying naming trend.
The family I babysat for in my teens who named their daughters Brittnei (brittany), Breyze (breeze), Brooke, and Bryton (brighton)... now thats far too gimmicky (and confusing!) for me!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not think it is weird at all. Our identical twin sons have the same first letter because DH picked his uncle's first name that he liked and I picked the other boy's - a name I love, both start with J. Their middle names are my father's and DH's grandfather's.

As another cutesy thing, DH and I have the same first name only mine is the feminine version. Obviously that was not planned but sounds very cool during introductions. :D

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our older daughter's name begins with the same letter that begins our last name. Then she married someone whose last name begins with that letter, so now all three of her initials are the same letter. She has two little girls and both of them have first names beginning with that letter (middle initials are different). It sounds good having the first and last name beginning with the same sound, and I also think it is totally fine to have multiple people in a family with names beginning with the same letter.

We have friends who have 5 kids and all names begin with M as well as the dad.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I hated when ppl gave me advise on naming my children. Towards the end of pregnancy #1 when people asked I would snap back "We are calling him Lucifer! "

Ayhow Im personally not a fan of doing cutsty stuff like that where everyone has the same initial. My DH and I shared initials (first and last) so when we had kids we went out of our way to not use that same letter. However do what you want. They are your kids.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SB621|1410958886|3752453 said:
I hated when ppl gave me advise on naming my children. Towards the end of pregnancy #1 when people asked I would snap back "We are calling him Lucifer! "

Ayhow Im personally not a fan of doing cutsty stuff like that where everyone has the same initial. My DH and I shared initials (first and last) so when we had kids we went out of our way to not use that same letter. However do what you want. They are your kids.
Does it really fall under "cutie" carigory when its only two kids and its unintended?

I just want my kids to have strong names I like. They happen to start with M

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
With two children, people will probably still think that you did it deliberately, Neil. But you can still ignore that, because, as the saying goes, you can't please everyone. lol

I voted "yes, it's weird" because (no lie) the first thing that sprang to my mind when I read the question was the Kardashian family with all of their K names. Personally, I would go for dignified names with traditional spellings. I would not saddle a kid with a name that looks like some illiterate person dreamed it up. I think I have a particularly nasty streak when it comes to those names, because I live in an area full of welfare mamas and ghetto people and bona fide illiterates, and the crap they come up with for children's names is appalling. If you've never actually had to associate with some of those goofballs, then you (thankfully) have no mental images that pop into your head whenever you see some kooky spelling. But I do. And I would NOT want to send my kid out into today's ultra-competitive job market with ANY KIND of name that hints at "a questionable upbringing."

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Niel, are you ok with disclosing the name you chose for your DS? Might help others in this thread when deciding if it's weird or not.

It seems like most people have voted "No, it's not weird" but you're still having doubts. If you are uncomfortable with it, don't do it. Another name will come to you and even if you're meh about it, it'll grow on you. That's sort of what happened with me. My DH and I had to compromise on a name that was not #1 for either of us, but now that we've decided, we're very excited about it (and to meet her in 20 or so weeks)!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TC1987|1410971461|3752518 said:
With two children, people will probably still think that you did it deliberately, Neil. But you can still ignore that, because, as the saying goes, you can't please everyone. lol

I voted "yes, it's weird" because (no lie) the first thing that sprang to my mind when I read the question was the Kardashian family with all of their K names. Personally, I would go for dignified names with traditional spellings. I would not saddle a kid with a name that looks like some illiterate person dreamed it up. I think I have a particularly nasty streak when it comes to those names, because I live in an area full of welfare mamas and ghetto people and bona fide illiterates, and the crap they come up with for children's names is appalling. If you've never actually had to associate with some of those goofballs, then you (thankfully) have no mental images that pop into your head whenever you see some kooky spelling. But I do. And I would NOT want to send my kid out into today's ultra-competitive job market with ANY KIND of name that hints at "a questionable upbringing."

I would hope you're referring to the sub conversation about alternative spellings only, because unless you're aware of my name choice you don't know whether its traditional or not.

Also isn't one of the kardashians named Robert?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SMC|1410971875|3752525 said:
Niel, are you ok with disclosing the name you chose for your DS? Might help others in this thread when deciding if it's weird or not.

It seems like most people have voted "No, it's not weird" but you're still having doubts. If you are uncomfortable with it, don't do it. Another name will come to you and even if you're meh about it, it'll grow on you. That's sort of what happened with me. My DH and I had to compromise on a name that was not #1 for either of us, but now that we've decided, we're very excited about it (and to meet her in 20 or so weeks)!

I know that does happen bit no I don't want to pick a name I feel"Meh about."

This isn't our first go 'round. This boy name was the only name we liked last time and hasn't changed in the 3 years sense we had started looking last time. And admittedly with my gender disappointment I feel like picking a name I'm indifferent about will just make the situation worse.
When my DD was born we didn't get our first choice, but at the same time neither DH nor I felt at all like we settled.

I totally get what you mean about if I'm uncomfortable don't do it. But problem is I'm uncomfortable about doing it and heartbroken about not doing it. Blah.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel, Your last sentence says it all. Better to be a little uncomfortable than heartbroken.

Someone is going to have an opinion no matter what you do. Pick the name you love for your baby. Chances are you won't even be in touch with the people who don't like it in ten years!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gender disappointment? Are you having a hard time deciding on a name b/c you were hoping for a girl?

I feel like it's a danged if you do danged if you don't thing in some ways. People will *always* have an opinion about what you name your kids. Always. You can't please everyone, (nor should you, everyone should just go suck an egg) and you can't see into the future to learn what name will make your kids happy-at some point everyone hates their name, and kids will find *something* to tease every single child about. Always. My Gramma w/the Kitties was completely be*side* herself when we told her our name choice for London. It's not a "name" blah blah blah, she was SO upset. The sister of my mom's boss gave me the what-for about it, and I very nicely told her with a smile she could insert her opinion into her backside. Then once London was born, all I heard was there was no other name that we could've picked b/c it fit her so well, and they were so happy that we'd named her what we wanted. And *Trapper* ohhh my word. Who names their kid *Trapper*?? Especially when we'd called him Gunnar until I was 8 months along, and then I had a panic attack b/c I knew we'd been calling him the wrong name, so we changed it and never told anyone.

Name that baby the name you want to name that baby. It wouldn't be fair to him to give him any less. (Unless it's like...Mike Hunt or Dick Trickle or something...just...no... ;-) )

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Why do we have to label everything. Does it have to be "weird". Can't it just be?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tuckie|1410916709|3752237 said:
I fully think that people are entitled to name their kids just about anything they feel is right - and similarly I am entitled to my opinion about those choices. That said, I should likely keep those opinions to myself!

My mother, father, brother and I have versions of the same name as our middle name, and I like this unifying naming trend.
The family I babysat for in my teens who named their daughters Brittnei (brittany), Breyze (breeze), Brooke, and Bryton (brighton)... now thats far too gimmicky (and confusing!) for me!

That's nothing. When I was in graduate school a classmate had a daughter and son named after him. His name is Marcien and his daughter's name is Marcy Ann and his son's name is Marcien. LOL. I just wonder why his wife didn't get any recognition re naming the kids yanno?

Gypsy said:
Why do we have to label everything. Does it have to be "weird". Can't it just be?

I completely agree. It is frustrating the way people (and I am guilty of this too unintentionally some of the time) always need to label others. I think we have made progress as the decades go by but we have a long way to go.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand your concern - you feel this is a decision that involves not only potential criticism of you but of your children as well. You mention a concern that your children might be teased about it - it's kind of impossible to predict if and over what a child will be teased about, but I can't really picture a kid being made fun of over having the same first name initial as his/her sibling (although, raising 2 kids of my own and seeing how kids can be I can't absolutely promise it won't happen ;( ). I do think it's unlikely though. When I was growing up there were several sets of twins in my grade with the same first initial, and nobody ever commented about it or seemed to notice. I think you should go with the name you and your dh love. Most decisions we make in life involve the possibility of others' disagreeing and throwing in their two cents and it's impossible to please everybody (and we shouldn't worry about doing that anyway :cheeky: ).

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know several families that do this, although none of them have named their pets using the same convention. Even if they did, I wouldn't think it's "weird," per se. Quirky perhaps, but not weird.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
KristyDarling|1411056898|3753186 said:
I know several families that do this, although none of them have named their pets using the same convention. Even if they did, I wouldn't think it's "weird," per se. Quirky perhaps, but not weird.

bay. ok. I had Mort before I met my husband. I didnt pick his name for any "M" reason.

He got names Mort (well mortimer ) because we bought his from an Amish family, he looks and acts like an old man, and I wanted to name him after a character I loved ( i picked one from the sims.

Then met my husband. His name also started with an M.

My DD was born and I wanted a different name for her. However the nickname of her first name would have ended up to be the same as my name. We specifically then made that name her middle name because i did not want people to call my daughter by the same name as me. So, we wanted a name that everyone had heard of, but you didnt really know anybody by that name. Plus, we preferred names that were popular at the turn of the century. Something strong, classic, professional, good for any age. So... we ended up with her name, it started with an M. Oh well. Didnt think about it

I was so sure this baby was a girl. We were using a similar system to pick this child's name, though we would be a bit lax on the popularity, as i absolutely fell in love with the name Josephine... but alas, this one had to throw a kink in my plan.

So we wanted a name that sounded good with our last name, strong, good for all ages, same style as before. And low and behold the only one we feel "fits" starts with an M too.

I feel like I need to stress this, we never planned to make it"a thing" or "cutsie", This is I guess what annoys me about my situation. I feel like I have put a lot of time and effort into thinking about this and getting this right for our family and child but to the casual observer its us beinng "cutsie"

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1411056462|3753182 said:
I understand your concern - you feel this is a decision that involves not only potential criticism of you but of your children as well. You mention a concern that your children might be teased about it - it's kind of impossible to predict if and over what a child will be teased about, but I can't really picture a kid being made fun of over having the same first name initial as his/her sibling (although, raising 2 kids of my own and seeing how kids can be I can't absolutely promise it won't happen ;( ). I do think it's unlikely though. When I was growing up there were several sets of twins in my grade with the same first initial, and nobody ever commented about it or seemed to notice. I think you should go with the name you and your dh love. Most decisions we make in life involve the possibility of others' disagreeing and throwing in their two cents and it's impossible to please everybody (and we shouldn't worry about doing that anyway :cheeky: ).

haha yes. Im guilty of this myself. I (apparently) am a part of a generation that feels everything they do is unique, and thus baby names need to be too. And I shouldnt but I judge. I just think spelling Lyndzee like that is... i dunno.

And I get judged for my DD's name. People always ask if its a family name... which is a nice way of saying "really? why THAT name?" Which i dont mind. But for some reason Im more worried about it this time

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1411058025|3753190 said:
junebug17|1411056462|3753182 said:

haha yes. Im guilty of this myself. I (apparently) am a part of a generation that feels everything they do is unique, and thus baby names need to be too. And I shouldnt but I judge. I just think spelling Lyndzee like that is... i dunno.

And I get judged for my DD's name. People always ask if its a family name... which is a nice way of saying "really? why THAT name?" Which i dont mind. But for some reason Im more worried about it this time

Oh I know, I judge too sometimes! We all have likes and dislikes so we're going to have thoughts and opinions about things. It's a part of human nature, I guess. Although, I find as I get older that I have more of a "live and let live" attitude - also, I"m having some personal issues and I'm so wrapped up in what's going on in my life that I really don't care as much what other people do lol! And at 54 I still find myself caring what others think, although I'm getting better at not letting other people's opinions affect me too much. Easier said than done though!

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
redwood66|1410922608|3752288 said:
I do not think it is weird at all. Our identical twin sons have the same first letter because DH picked his uncle's first name that he liked and I picked the other boy's - a name I love, both start with J. Their middle names are my father's and DH's grandfather's.

As another cutesy thing, DH and I have the same first name only mine is the feminine version. Obviously that was not planned but sounds very cool during introductions. :D

My FI and I have the same thing. We've been together for just over 3 years and I'm already tired of the inevitable look and comments that come after giving our names. LOL

I am a Junior and all of my siblings (4 of us) have the same initial. Never got negative comments, but people definitely picked up on it.

In another weird coincidence, My FI has the same name as her Mother, so we're both juniors. However being of Caribbean descent, very seldom is anyone called their ACTUAL first name. So most people don't even realize that I'm a junior, and almost no one knows that she is.

Niel, I don't think you should think twice about it. Use the name you want and don't bother with what others think.

gem_anemone

Brilliant_Rock
My cats names both begin with D. The second cat was given a D name on purpose to be "cute". My son came after the two cats and his name begins with a D too. It was not on purpose. It just happened to be a name we liked. Other people probably think we did it on purpose, but we can't control what others think. Oh well!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel, I wouldn't consider the pet's name to be a factor. Most people who know you aren't going to know your husband's M name, both your children's M names, and your dog's M name. I hate to be morbid, but there's also a pretty good chance that by the time your youngest starts school and starts inviting other kids and their parents over (the only people besides close family that would then know enough M's to comment and pass judgement) that Mort the dog will be departed.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not at all weird. Most people in my family - even extended family - have names that start with C. Me, my father, brother, grandmother, countless cousins. What IS weird is my name, my parents's names, and my brother's name all rhyme. MOREOVER they rhyme with our last name. And it was accidental.

They are all totally regular names though - nobody spelled anything "creatively" or made up a name.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts|1411166350|3754033 said:
Not at all weird. Most people in my family - even extended family - have names that start with C. Me, my father, brother, grandmother, countless cousins. What IS weird is my name, my parents's names, and my brother's name all rhyme. MOREOVER they rhyme with our last name. And it was accidental.

They are all totally regular names though - nobody spelled anything "creatively" or made up a name.

That's weird! Not in a "quirky" sense but in a coincidencal sense. Like, how funny it happened that way!

Do people usually notice?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1411170931|3754062 said:
distracts|1411166350|3754033 said:

That's weird! Not in a "quirky" sense but in a coincidencal sense. Like, how funny it happened that way!

Do people usually notice?

They don't usually notice with the whole family. Only a few people have. But with my name they notice a lot - I think because it's more cutesy sounding. They're all nicknames (with -y and -ie endings), which is also why people don't notice that all of our names begin with C, since my nickname doesn't.

Also though since the names begin with C, there are a lot of sounds there - hard C as in Cat, Ch as in chuffed, Ch as in charade, C as in Celia... I can't think of any more, but that's certainly a lot right there.

DNB

Rough_Rock
Why do you think that's weird? I know several families like that. My two sisters and I and our father's names all start with the same letter also. I know siblings whose names not only start with the same letter, but are basically the same name. I won't use their real names, but think something like Bill and Billie Ann (boy and girl)

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My advice would be to go with your heart and the naysayers/bullies be d*mned! When I was pg with DS, hubby and I couldn't agree on even one name and basically chose one because we had to. I love the nickname but not the "official" birth certificate name. He's Nathan (I preferred Nathaniel) and we call him Nate. That was as close as DH and I could come to agreement. Luckily, our son IS a Nate...the name fits him...but I cringe when people call him Nathan. Don't do that to yourself (or your child). Go with what you love (I'm gathering that it's not something so out there like "Fiat" or "Thor" that would likely result in teasing).

Good luck!!

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
As a high school teacher that has 120 names to learn every year and who has had many, many siblings as students over the years, I can tell you it's a very common thing to do. So if by weird you mean infrequent or unusual, the answer is emphatically NO.

The time when you are introduced along with your siblings is short. Then it's just you, your first name and last. When was the last time someone learned my siblings' names at the same time as mine? Hi, I'm Maria D, sister of Marvin, Moses and Mable. Nope, doesn't happen.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They will be lovely individual people who happen to share a first letter. Which I think is nice.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results