shape
carat
color
clarity

Poll: 2 piercings

Do you think double ear piercings look unprofessional?

• A. Yes

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • B. No

Votes: 46 64.8%
  • C. It doesn't matter bc the piercings will not be obvious when earrings are not worn.

Votes: 7 9.9%

• Total voters

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi. My 17 yr old daughter has been insisting that she wants to add another piercing to her ear. I'm not a fan. Mostly, i worry that when she goes on job interviews and eventually on to be a professional, the piercings may look sloppy. Maybe I'm just too biased so I told her I would leave it up to you all. Please vote and or provide input.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In no way do I think it's going to have an influence on interviews. Hell, my 80yo grandmother has two holes in her ears.

I had 3 at one point in my life, but I let the top bit close. I rarely if ever wear 2, and when I don't you cant barely even see the holes.

It's ear lobe piercings. It's almost expected for women to have them. Two to me is a non issue.

Also shes 17, shouldn't the choice be up to her?

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
I am about to turn 60 and have had a second piercing for almost 40 years. I've always worn something small in the back. The last few years I've worn .20tcw baby bezels.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NonieMarie|1452991784|3977003 said:
I am about to turn 60 and have had a second piercing for almost 40 years. I've always worn something small in the back. The last few years I've worn .20tcw baby bezels.

I bet those baby bezels look very lovely

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1452991498|3977002 said:
In no way do I think it's going to have an influence on interviews. Hell, my 80yo grandmother has two holes in her ears.

I had 3 at one point in my life, but I let the top bit close. I rarely if ever wear 2, and when I don't you cant barely even see the holes.

It's ear lobe piercings. It's almost expected for women to have them. Two to me is a non issue.

Hi. I don't want to turn this thread into a parenting advice column. Ive raised an awesome daughter who still values my opinions. If future posters could just stick to the question that would be ideal.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nala|1452992048|3977006 said:

Hi. I don't want to turn this thread into a parenting advice column. Ive raised an awesome daughter who still values my opinions. If future posters could just stick to the question that would be ideal.

Does she value our opinion? Since you said you'd leave it up to us ;-)

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1452992116|3977007 said:

Does she value our opinion? Sense you said you'd leave it up to us ;-)
She knows that in jewelry matters, which this is, I do my research here.

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
I have three lobe piercings, and I also used to have two cartilage piercings (I let them close up due to issues with keloids, but I loved them and wish I could still have them). The piercings have never been an issue for me. I currently work in higher ed, and have also held positions in magazines, public relations, k-12 education, non-profit, recruiting, and also worked at a circus school (I've had a pretty eclectic professional journey!). I wear my hair down most of the time, so my piercings aren't usually all that noticeable anyway.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
I voted no. I had three piercings per ear from around 17 to my mid twenties. I let the third holes close but still wore earrings in the second piercing for many years.

If she wears her hair covering her ears it will hardly be noticeable. With all of the self expression going on now, tattoos & piercings, a second ear piercing is nothing. I think our society as a whole is extremely open minded. I love a lot of the cool piercings I see on the younger crowd, including the nose & Marilyn piercings. If I was a bit younger I would get a Marilyn piercing.

I own a business & all of my employees have multiple piercings & visible tattoos, btw.

Unless your daughter is going into an extremely conservative field, I would say it's okay. I honestly don't know what career would have a problem with it :?:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I work for a very conservative company and while many of our new college grads likely have several piercings (not only in their ears) and tattoos they are not displayed at work. My 17 year old daughter has two in each ear, my 20 year old stepdaughter three in each ear, one in her nose and one in her belly button. I think it's really about your line of work and what is acceptable. My daughter wants to be in music. I think she could get away with many things that maybe someone else might not be able too.

As for me, I nearly passed out getting my ears done once, I wouldn't survive twice let alone a tattoo... Giant sissy!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My girls both have two and that's it. They wear tiny diamonds in the second piercing. It seems to be pretty common for most girls to have two where we live. More than that, I would not be thrilled about.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the are piercings in the lobes, two is not unprofessional. Gauges or something might be a different question. I have worked in law firms for 29 years and have had doubles in each lobe that whole time. Seven years ago, I got a third in my left lobe and still work in a law firm. So I voted no, it's not unprofessional.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I work in a conservative office and some of my co-workers have more than one ear piercing. Doesn't affect them professionally. If interviewing look is a concern, she can always remove second piercing. I'm with you on not being a fan but mostly because of discomfort. I found getting my ears pierced very painful the first time around so never went beyond one per ear.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's not the 2 piercings but what she puts in them lolol. If she puts in door knockers and only has one piercing (now I'm dating myself :lol: :lol: :lol: ), or those see the world through your lobe gauges, that could impact her professionally.

The thing is, even after your piercing closes, you will have an indent there. I have seen male colleagues with that dent in one ear. It was the 90s, right, when all the boys had one earring? :lol: :lol: :lol:

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
When she is 18 it will be a non-issue since she won't need your permission. If you are uncomfortable with it let her wait a year. She will survive. And you will not be going against your better judgement.

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
She can always take out the second piercing and wear her hair down so it won't be noticeable. If they were gauges then that would be a bad idea.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I agree with pinto bean- it's what is put into piercings that may change the overall look to the piercings/ facial / first impressions.

Sadly, I feel that in today's society, the look counts for most of it. Look at how the kardashians make their empire- it's about their looks.

I am more traditionalist- studs/ hoops / dangles. Some of the other jewelry items- expanders are more hipster and works for certain individuals. But I also like to think I am progressive in my thinking.... I guess it all depends on how she wants to wear the jewelry. I feel jewelry has to reflect who she is and also the circles that she mixes/ works with. If a second piercing works for her, great. If it is a stud/ hoop in the 2nd piercing and it is in keeping with how confident she feels- go for it.

I am hoping hat my girls will get their ears pierced- heck I already bought them their first pair!!! They are now 4.75yo and 2.25yo!!!! For me if they wanted a second one- I would give the same advice- is it something you want? Make sure that the second piercing jewelry reflects appropriately in the circle that they work and socialize with. Yes, I am be sign to the societal norms in some respects, but I would hate for them to feel ostracized for having multiple piercings on her ear lobes. Yes, we can educate ppl in the sense of acceptance, but hopefully not to the detriment of their careers.

Do her friends have 2nd / multiple piercings?

It may be something that she will like for a bit and maybe not... If not, she can stop wearing jewelry in the second piercing....The indent can be there, but does it distract from her personality?

There are lots of opinions on this and I hope I haven't confused your thinking....

Btw: I have 2 piercings in each ear and for a male in my neck of the woods, it is rare. Both are diamond studs.
0.5ct princess in one and a 0.1ct round in the other.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gregchang35|1453003505|3977094 said:
I agree with pinto bean- it's what is put into piercings that may change the overall look to the piercings/ facial / first impressions.

Sadly, I feel that in today's society, the look counts for most of it. Look at how the kardashians make their empire- it's about their looks.

I am more traditionalist- studs/ hoops / dangles. Some of the other jewelry items- expanders are more hipster and works for certain individuals. But I also like to think I am progressive in my thinking.... I guess it all depends on how she wants to wear the jewelry. I feel jewelry has to reflect who she is and also the circles that she mixes/ works with. If a second piercing works for her, great. If it is a stud/ hoop in the 2nd piercing and it is in keeping with how confident she feels- go for it.

I am hoping hat my girls will get their ears pierced- heck I already bought them their first pair!!! They are now 4.75yo and 2.25yo!!!! For me if they wanted a second one- I would give the same advice- is it something you want? Make sure that the second piercing jewelry reflects appropriately in the circle that they work and socialize with. Yes, I am be sign to the societal norms in some respects, but I would hate for them to feel ostracized for having multiple piercings on her ear lobes. Yes, we can educate ppl in the sense of acceptance, but hopefully not to the detriment of their careers.

Do her friends have 2nd / multiple piercings?

It may be something that she will like for a bit and maybe not... If not, she can stop wearing jewelry in the second piercing....The indent can be there, but does it distract from her personality?

There are lots of opinions on this and I hope I haven't confused your thinking....

Btw: I have 2 piercings in each ear and for a male in my neck of the woods, it is rare. Both are diamond studs.
0.5ct princess in one and a 0.1ct round in the other.

Ostracized? For simple none gauged ear lobe piercings? Is that a thing? I'm genuinely asking, is this a thing that's done in even the most conservative communities (save maybe the Amish)

I live in the bible belt and as o said my uber conservative grandmother had it done

If Michelle Obama can do it so can you ;-)

michelle_obama_dangle_earrings_dangling_diamond_-occ7ucps6xl.jpg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two lobe piercings with carefully selected earrings - probably not an issue in even conservative work environments.

ETA not an issue for a woman. A man might have to tread a bit more carefully, especially in conservative work environments and especially when they don't know you (as in during a job interview) and the appropriateness of clothing/jewelry choices can- rightly or wrongly - be part of how you're judged.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Niel,

i am unsure of what you are meaning by showing Michelle O.

If you had read the context of that particular paragraph, maybe it would make more sense to you about being ostracized. Pls read the preceding sentence. It talks about they type of jewelry worn in piercings.

Sorry if you had not read the entire paragraph to get my meaning.

As I have stated before, ppl judge you on appearance and the way you carry yourself in the first 5 mins.
If u are confident enough to do what you like and want- great; do it.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Apologies to the OP- nala, for the last post. But I hope my meaning came across better than was what had been interpreted by niel.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gregchang35|1453008311|3977139 said:
Niel,

i am unsure of what you are meaning by showing Michelle O.

If you had read the context of that particular paragraph, maybe it would make more sense to you about being ostracized. Pls read the preceding sentence. It talks about they type of jewelry worn in piercings.

Sorry if you had not read the entire paragraph to get my meaning.

As I have stated before, ppl judge you on appearance and the way you carry yourself in the first 5 mins.
If u are confident enough to do what you like and want- great; do it.

I did read you're entire paragraph. In fact, youe entire post. :wavey:

The picture of Michelle Obama was for the OP. Rather than posting to comments right in a row. Just showing that if flotus can do it, your daughter can probably do it too. ::)

To everyone commenting about guages, just a few things to consider. You don't go get your ears guaged, its a process if many months and stages. Typically someone who chooses to get their ears guaged don't get their second set guaged if they don't already have their first set. So, if she has no interest in gauging her first set, I doubt she wants to gauge her second. If she wants to gauge her first, probably already something to discuss

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It's pretty rude to try and control what people do on the internet. What was said is very relevant to your question.

FWIW, I agree with the majority of posters. 2 piercings is not overboard, or going to have much if ANY detriment to her future :rolleyes:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMHO, there are not many prominent women that are NOT associated with the entertainment industry with multiple pierced ears.

DK :))

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1453061896|3977194 said:
IMHO, there are not many prominent women that are NOT associated with the entertainment industry with multiple pierced ears.

Are you sure? I thought to myself last night, "who's is a very successful woman. How about flotus, does she have them. Quick Google search,and she did. " today I saw your post and thought, who is a successful, non 'celeb' who I could Google. How about Carly Fiorina?". Quick Google search later turns out she has multiple too. They just don't often wear them.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Christine Lagarde, Angela Merkel, Magaret Thatcher, HM The Queen as in Elizabeth II, Hlliary Clinton, to name a few.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1453063071|3977211 said:
Christine Lagarde, Angela Merkel, Magaret Thatcher, HM The Queen as in Elizabeth II, Hlliary Clinton, to name a few.

So some do, some don't. Maybe it's not lobe piercing that determine their success?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am in one of the most conservative roles imaginable in the financial industry (compliance officer) and have four piercings in my left ear and two in my right and I've got super short hair. I don't wear more than one earring in each ear ay more, just because the putting in/taking out ever day is a bit of a hassle, but when I was the chief compliance officer for a hedge fund some (but not THAT many) years ago I did wear all six earrings. No one batted an eye.

About her being 17, she is pretty much at the age where she is/soon will be likely piercing anything she wants as many times as she wants.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some of the responses have me chuckling out loud ::) Well, I'll just... ditto other PPs - even in the most conservative fields (law, finance) I too don't see two lobe piercings being detrimental to a young woman's career advancement :))

More than that, or a non-lobe second piercing... yeah, that'd probably be something to think about and talk about.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel a 2nd ear piercing is a very minor change that will not affect a professional look. I've been there with my DD and can only say that being supportive before, and then complimentary after will go a long way to making you both happy.
You might help her find a lovely tiny diamond to celebrate the new piercing : )

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results