shape
carat
color
clarity

Political Discussion Subscription Service Membership

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is debate politics, which is very mixed, but huge. I rarely go there because threads move so fast its hard to keep up with more than one or two at a time.

I don't know that site. but I get attached to people where I spend a lot of time (like here). When I was on a Golden Retriever forum I would have talked politics, but it was forbidden. I did do it to some extent on a language learning site. It was far too international for much discussion of US politics, however. :))

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not on FB, but I have other political places to go.
I guess we are the only 2 person on earth who's not on FB... :oops:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
My two coppers: I like it better here without the political discussions, to be honest.

Political opinions have a way of popping up in your face and also of spilling over into other threads on forums, even when that's not the focus of a forum. I wouldn't doubt if more people leave a forum over it than are brought in or kept around by it. There are already many, many other places for political discussion. In fact, it's hard to get away from these days.

It's all gotten so divisive in the US that in real life, friends and families fall out over it when they got along just fine before. There are people whose company I enjoy far more, whether online and in real life, when I don't have to hear their political opinions. I'm happy to not tell them mine in return lol. And of course there will always be people coming and going on any forum and a certain percentage of them will always be arrogantly ignorant or whatever.

I was on another forum that started a separate, password-only section to discuss politics for the same reasons, the mods were tired of referee-ing. It was free of charge but still soon died out from lack of exposure. And when the mods have shut certain discussions down from all the problems, I doubt it will be any better without any moderating. The unmoderated forums I've been on were cesspools.

All that said, it doesn't make any difference to me if there's a subscription section for politics. The separate section on that other forum had no effect on me at all while it lasted, (I didn't join it) except that, as mentioned above, I started to like some of the people more when I no longer heard their political opinions.

Last edited:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm kind of losing patience with the naysayers. Politics was complained about and ended due, IMO, to some who didn't want it here. Now there's been a workaround proposed where no one even has to see political threads, and that's not wanted either.

Well. don't lose patience with me. I never complained about the political talk. I also did not complain about Andrey's decision to end it because it is against the forum rules to do so. (It is also very ungrateful to do so. He and Ella have put up with a lot.)

I am not sure I like this solution, though. I am not sure I will join. I don't see why you would apply a pejorative term like "naysayer" to someone like me, when this thread asked who would join a forum we had to pay for. I mean one has to say "yea" or "nay" to that question.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Well. don't lose patience with me. I never complained about the political talk. I also did not complain about Andrey's decision to end it because it is against the forum rules to do so. (It is also very ungrateful to do so. He and Ella have put up with a lot.)

I am not sure I like this solution, though. I am not sure I will join. I don't see why you would apply a pejorative term like "naysayer" to someone like me, when this thread asked who would join a forum we had to pay for. I mean one has to say "yea" or "nay" to that question.

You were not one of the people I meant, unless you did a bunch of reporting and complaining that politics was allowed to begin with.I think for the most part we know who they are.

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
and if I read it and don't like it, I keep my mouth shut and don't post

This rule didn't apply to political discussions, unfortunately. I personally had been receiving 10-15-20 angry and hostile responses from many members at once to whatever message I posted if people didn't like it. Zero tolerance! I even had been honored to have a separate thread started by someone dedicated to me personally. It is easy to go past many topics these times, political subject is not one of them. People proved they can't have civil and respectful discussions, otherwise some members won't suggest having 100% unmoderated political sub forum where everything but **** is acceptable. So far only DF agreed to entertain the opposite side. Maybe this will keep discussions calm? I hope so and sincerely wish you all good luck.

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for thinking of me @jaaron! :lol: :clap:

Us wealthy old white women have to do something with our money, DF, and you know I've been dying to introduce a little education into your sphere. :lol:

Just make sure to leave that diamond home when you have your eligibility interview...

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
once a comunity goes pay to play it is never the same even if it is just a sub-forum to start.
Not a fan
Also why would someone want to supply a site content and have to pay for it too?

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I personally find the idea of a subscription based political forum which is in a site that is otherwise all about free information and knowledge to be a bit distasteful but I ultimately will respect the decision that the mods make.

I won't be participating anyways but I fear that the idea that you cannot access a section of our diamond/jewelry site without paying for it & or embarrassingly asking for a scholarship subscription will create a hierarchy here on PS, where inside jokes created will be spread on random threads and will make others feel uncomfortable.

Do I think that political debate and speech is important?

Incredibly so, especially in our current climate.

Do I think that it belongs in PS?

Absolutely not.
I think past discord has shown that not everyone nor can everyone play fair and still treat everyone with kindness or empathy.

I'm not talking about koombaya* either but just treating eachother with dignity, from human to human.
Everyone was given warnings by the mods that we were about to lose the political forum yet nothing changed, so in my opinion by reinstating it but charging a subscription fee sets an odd precedent.

The attractive thing about PS to me was that no matter who you were or how much money you made, you were accepted and we could each share our love for diamonds, colored stones, & jewelry: It always felt like an even playing field.

I love this site but if my fears are correct & the subscription thread creates a weird hierarchy then I unfortunately don't see myself wanting to spend much time here.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
FB is an awful way to discuss anything. It's difficult to find past posts and becomes awkward to follow replies/posters on subjects where there are a lot of comments.

I agree
Im in a very small group of only a handful of people and where i know everyone and i get lost everytime i go in there

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I guess we are the only 2 person on earth who's not on FB... :oops:

Your lucky
I hate it
I only joined because Gary's daughter has cancer and she posts updates and if we don't follow along her aunty blows everything out of proportion

And then 2 freinds got banned from my Springsteen forum and i didn't want to loose contact

Stay away from Facebook as long as you can
People you have zero intetest in reaquantancing yourself with turn up out of the woodwork - i ignore even family on there

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I respectfully disagree @TheGarnetGirl.

Some people really enjoyed the politics discussions. I don’t think there is anyone here that wants there to be any type of a hierarchy on PS. If anything I think it shows what a tight knit community this is with people offering to help others if there are fees involved. if anything it shows that members want everyone included.

Last edited:

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
Yup! , rule #1... don't be a cry baby! ;(

When children complain to the teacher, they don't insult their protector. I can't imagine someone insulting Ella while complaining. But she stated that both sides, not only awful and bad tempered supporters of You Know Who had been disrespectful and rude. That is the worst IMO. People can't keep their emotions controlled by themselves. They can't behave like adults.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
To all the folks trying so hard to block what is being proposed here, I say politely but firmly: please BUTT OUT.

You don't have to like it. You don't have to want to participate in it. That's all fine. Those of us who would like it respect that, which is why we are proposing a solution that you don't need to be any part of or even have an awareness of. If those of us users who would like it and those who own, run, and moderate the forum are willing to come to an agreement around it and go forward to try it and see if it's viable, frankly, that's none of your business. If it doesn't work, in terms of practicality or business sense, that's not your problem. If it ends up having a deleterious effect on other parts of the forum that affect users there, I'm sure people will let the mods and ownership know and they can take appropriate action, up to and including canceling the whole idea.

Please stop trying to control the forum and the other users here.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Political discussion here shouldn’t be silenced right before an election. I respect and appreciate the site and the mod team, but think those of us who are willing to pony up to keep the conversation going should be able to do so.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
To all the folks trying so hard to block what is being proposed here, I say politely but firmly: please BUTT OUT.

The question was posed for ALL...not only those in support.
No one here has the power to block anything...only to offer their perspectives, even the ones you don’t like/agree with.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Obie Girl, I was so worried you weren't interested. I had you in y count, but when Deb wasn't interested I said to myself, Damm those assumptions. Deb it won't be the same without you. I would really miss you, really. You were in my first five count. Look it may die a natural death.

Annette

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
What about me?

I just checked, The New York Times has their official page on FB, as well as ALL political figures that you like.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Callie-- I must go to the hospital tonight. Please wait a few more days and then send the tally to Andry. Ask him how he is leaning? Ask him what else we can do to persuade him.

In my original post, I believe I only asked for yeses. All I wanted was a count of people who would join. Sorry, Obie is right.

Annette

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I miss the discussions with both @smitcompton and @OboeGal , I learned a lot from so many here and really miss these discussions.

I wonder if they would allow separate forums one for Democrats and one for a Republicans. it would stop the arguing and people could still discuss what was happening in the world. I would have so appreciated hearing your thoughts on today‘s news.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh @smitcompton. Please take care of yourself. I wish I had a way to reach you off line. Callie

I’ll take the tally in a few day and contact Andre.

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
To all the folks trying so hard to block what is being proposed here

No one is blocking anything, people either agree to join this closed group or disagree. Some are sharing their opinions on why they won't join or would be joining later. But no one opposes your decision to join or criticizes it. I personally am happy that there may be a solution and everyone who wants to have political discussions here on PS, will be able to do so. It will be unmoderated and people will be freely choosing their words. Since only DF agreed to join from the conservative site, there will be mostly polite and friendly discussions.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The question was posed for ALL...not only those in support.
No one here has the power to block anything...only to offer their perspectives, even the ones you don’t like/agree with.

Incorrect. Re-read OPs post. It's specifically directed to ONLY those who want current topics/politics. Her first and last sentences make that abundantly clear.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
please BUTT OUT.

frankly, that's none of your business.

Wow. Just Wow. Butt out? None of my business? Is that anyway to address other members of this forum, OboeGal?
I have been a member here for 13 years. Now there will be a forum that I have to pay for to participate in.
It just got very cliquish here on PS.

Last edited:

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
Incorrect. Re-read OPs post. It's specifically directed to ONLY those who want current topics/politics. Her first and last sentences make that abundantly clear.

Please excuse my error. Apologies for interrupting yet another echo chamber moment here on PS.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results