shape
carat
color
clarity

WARNING! Political and Contentious Discussion Ban

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A question for people who feel strongly about the 'rules'.. Who makes you read the poltical threads? I don't read about Pearls because I have zero interest in pearls, I don't like some of the diamond cuts people post, I just skim and move on.. no one was dragged into a thread, those who come in are people who want to discuss, those who find the diamonds etc and SMTB etc should move on by.. who is dragging people in?

Politics matter.
It affects everything.

That's why it interest me, and I read and post (a relatively small amount) on some of those threads.

What does that have to do with following rules you agreed to follow?

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A question for people who feel strongly about the 'rules'.. Who makes you read the poltical threads? I don't read about Pearls because I have zero interest in pearls, I don't like some of the diamond cuts people post, I just skim and move on.. no one was dragged into a thread, those who come in are people who want to discuss, those who find the diamonds etc and SMTB etc should move on by.. who is dragging people in?

I believe you're missing the point.

The issue is about being respectful.

Within the political threads, there were too many posts with disrespectful comments.

PS owners/admin want to have a Forum that has a respectful environment.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The internet is HUGE and there are plenty of social media sites dedicated to political discussions & debate without further muThercking up PS or creating unnecessary headaches/work for Owner/Admin - regardless of whether they do it for free or fee.

The same is true for all non-jewelry discussion here which is why the last time this discussion arose, I suggested getting rid of ALL forums that are not jewelry related. If people want a place of peace and escape from the crap life can throw at us, then keep PS focused on its purpose. I know that suggestion displeased those who post on other sub forums here.

As far as your idea that a hidden sub forum could tarnish PS reputation, the public contentious discussions that have taken place here over the years doesn't appear to have done that to any discernible degree so I see no reason to think that a hidden forum would. As far as cancel culture affecting PS, it has done that many times when a vendor has fallen out of favor and the angry mob attacks the vendor's reputation and boycotts the vendor. This has happened here long before cancel culture became a thing.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are all different, so am I to think that this is the Red Cross, nope, this is a business, I liked being able to talk about politics and I find exchanging of words a good thing in what I deem dark times. I think PS is a place that encourages vendors to advertise and jewelry lovers to admire and spend, and I feel in my own way that I helped support PS by buying from the vendors, I am not saying kiss my derriere I am saying that what attracted me to PS were the OEC and ACAs etc AND political discussion their rules my choices.. I see nothing wrong with that, but others OBVIOUSLY do.. their problem not mine. i have ALWAYS followed the rules, I have never name called, calling people petulant, etc. It is amazing to me how MANY people cannot read my comments and just leave it. I believe what I say is true, no one has written anything here that makes me thankful, it's business all business.

:halo::)

Why did you agree to follow PS terms, while you now so clearly violate them?

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Yssie, I recall the incident, and I did not think you were racist. There are some who look at everything from a particular point of view and conclude whatever is said is racist or whatever their cause is-sexist, zenophobic etc. Someone reported me once for something similar. I explained to Admin and they understood. I did feel for you.

No, we wont change the outcome of an election or much of anything going on in the world by posting on PS. Once in a while one of us is moved to send a check to some candidate. But, we share our thoughts and as Lissiflo said above in her post, we do get some insights into one another. We gain a certain amount of understanding. Which brings me to:

DecemberFire, your post offends me the most. I do believe that Admin will take my appeal to keep political threads open as it s meant- an appeal without arrogance or dictatorial in any way. Its my hope that they will.

Why is it that those that are offended will not stop reading these posts? DS,6000, you are the first person I would want help from for a diamond purchase. But, please, just stop reading these posts if they upset you. There are many threads I have no interest in. I don't read them.

We are stakeholders in PS. Owners, employees and customers are all stakeholders. Each is part of the entity. Each can have a voice.

Annette

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DecemberFire, your post offends me the most. I do believe that Admin will take my appeal to keep political threads open as it s meant- an appeal without arrogance or dictatorial in any way. Its my hope that they will.

Why is it that those that are offended will not stop reading these posts? DS,6000, you are the first person I would want help from for a diamond purchase. But, please, just stop reading these posts if they upset you. There are many threads I have no interest in. I don't read them.

I know people are 'passionate', 'invested', 'stressed' due to various factors, etc., but this is not an employee-owned business; you don't get to tell PS what to do or not to do, or tell them its the wrong time to make certain decisions. Voice your opinion in a respectable manner, if you wish, but keep in mind that the decision-making authority rests elsewhere.

OK, well, thanks for sharing that with me.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As I told Ella previously, if it's PS's intent to be a haven for old rich racist ladies, that's your prerogative (and you're killing it), but I want no part in that. Good luck.
:eek-2:...Please raise your hand if you are one of these ladies.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know that suggestion displeased those who post on other sub forums here.

My guess is those other thread topics/sub-forums don’t cause Admin the headaches that political threads/sub-forum cause/would cause. Just my assumption though, as I don’t go digging down multiple levels in the rare visits I make here anymore (largely due to the increase in discourse).

Each can have a voice.

Each member has a voice; and it sounds like the owner listened to all those voices & made a decision, which is his right.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:eek-2:...Please raise your hand if you are one of these ladies.

Put up your hand DF!

We're all (apparently) old rich racist ladies.

:lol:

On that note, its late, I'm going to bed.

Three pages debating/discussing a thread that did not have a poll, did not ask for opinions, but simply stated a decision that has been made by those with the authority to make such a decision.

PS Admin all deserve wonderful gift baskets for their patience and professionalism.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the problem with political discussions nowadays is that people confuse their freedom of speech with their sense of entitlement. While you have the right to say exactly what you think, everyone else has the right to tell you what they think of it. If your opinions can't withstand criticism, then maybe they weren't very good to start. Too many people don't understand this and complain bitterly that their rights are being infringed. Naw, you're not entitled to an adoring audience.

@liaerfbv makes some pretty good points. It's not just PS though; American society puts more emphasis on tone policing than racial justice. I also thought seriously about leaving PS when I was put on a time out despite the racists on this board going unpunished, but how's that any different from anywhere else in the US? I'm not going to find racial equity and enlightenment on a jewelry forum.

I'm not sure I really care anymore whether political discussions are banned on PS. Maybe it's for the best.

@JPie, @liaerfbv, always <3
Smart, thought provoking, open minded, open hearted posters who make me think.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My guess is those other thread topics/sub-forums don’t cause Admin the headaches that political threads/sub-forum cause/would cause. Just my assumption though, as I don’t go digging down multiple levels in the rare visits I make here anymore (largely due to the increase in discourse).

Oh for sure there isn't that much drama with those threads. My original suggestion was predicated on the notion that PS shouldn't entertain political discussion because it isn't a political forum. Under that assertion, neither is it a divorce, fertility, health, etc. forum. So if folks want pure bling, give 'em pure bling. Obviously, it's just my (unpopular) opinion.

I was curious about your concern about PS reputation being harmed by political discussion/hidden forum and did a quick search. What I found was rabid disapproval of Rocky Talky among (mostly young) people who think that the "fossils" that give advice there don't know nothing from nothing. No mention of other forums but I didn't spend much time digging.

Adieu the_mother_thing. While we are far apart on our political views, as I've said before, there were many times when your words gave me an "aha" moment.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Three pages debating/discussing a thread that did not have a poll, did not ask for opinions, but simply stated a decision that has been made by those with the authority to make such a decision.

If they didn't want to provide the opportunity for discussion (and blowing off steam), don't you think the thread would have been locked.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

To be fair, there have been warnings posted for weeks/months now, I think ... in multiple threads & a ‘warning thread’ as well, IIRC. I started following Ella’s posts via email, and while I haven’t been on PS, I have seen the posts/warnings. So if anyone is actually shocked by this decision, I’d hazard a guess they were either too busy contributing to the problem or haven’t been in Hangout in the last year+.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it time for pie yet? I'm in NY right now and would love a pizza pie.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm in NY right now and would love a pizza pie.

Wicked woman. I'd give my pinky finger for a legit NY pizza. The best we have here is Mountain Mike's and the thing I like best about it is that the pepperoni gets all crispy and curly on the edges. I don't like flaccid pepperoni.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was curious about your concern about PS reputation being harmed by political discussion/hidden forum and did a quick search. What I found was rabid disapproval of Rocky Talky among (mostly young) people who think that the "fossils" that give advice there don't know nothing from nothing. No mention of other forums but I didn't spend much time digging.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@diamondseeker2006 They were also critical of the HCA. I only scanned through one thread and it was legit funny. "Old white men" got the brunt of the criticism but, of course, some had to chime in about the "old white women." There is no pleasing some people. Do you remember the male poster who didn't last long here when he complained about the old wrinkled fingers in photos here that sported fabulous bling and how revolted he was by that? LOL.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wicked woman. I'd give my pinky finger for a legit NY pizza. The best we have here is Mountain Mike's and the thing I like best about it is that the pepperoni gets all crispy and curly on the edges. I don't like flaccid pepperoni.
When the pepperoni "bananas up" on the edges

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@diamondseeker2006 They were also critical of the HCA. I only scanned through one thread and it was legit funny. "Old white men" got the brunt of the criticism but, of course, some had to chime in about the "old white women." There is no pleasing some people. Do you remember the male poster who didn't last long here when he complained about the old wrinkled fingers in photos here that sported fabulous bling and how revolted he was by that? LOL.
I'm at the point of, " go ahead, buy the bad diamond. Someone's gotta put the inventory out of its misery!"

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol:

I haven't bought bananas in a long time....
Forget pepperoni, I'd love some kielbasa right now. It's bigger, more filling, less salty, and more bang for the buck.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Matata Just to clarify - not being argumentative ... my ‘risk’ stance about the sub-forum isn’t so much who might complain/why; it’s just a natural response/carry-over from my professional life which considers extended ‘reputational risk’ factors in all decision-making. In this case, given the very reasons for the topic ban, it’s not inconceivable at all to me that someone who ‘agrees to play in the new sandbox’ might get upset by something posted, take a screenshot of it and run elsewhere to share it ... without any context ... but with PS’ logo/branding. I get cancel culture isn’t new; just seems to be an unnecessary risk for a business (to have their brand potentially misrepresented) in an already volatile environment/economy, especially one that generates revenue from a “luxury” product/purchase.

I’m surprised - with so many smart people w/diverse talents on PS - that someone doesn’t have the skill set to launch exactly what you describe but on their own/separate from PS ... make their own rules, etc. Voila - problem solved, it’d seem.

I'm at the point of, " go ahead, buy the bad diamond. Someone's gotta put the inventory out of its misery!"

:lol-2: :lol-2: Good siggy candidate!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m surprised - with so many smart people w/diverse talents on PS - that someone doesn’t have the skill set to launch exactly what you describe but on their own/separate from PS ... make their own rules, etc. Voila - problem solved, it’d seem.

Several years ago, there was a revolt here (there have been a few) and a number of posters formed a FB group for the purpose of being free of its rules. I don't have first-hand knowledge and it was allegedly a closed by-invitation-only group but rumors leaked here that members of the group were disparaging about PS and some of the posters here. The brouhaha eventually died down, some of the FB members still posted here and said that the group wasn't as mean as described by an ex-member but the damage was done and it took awhile for the brouhaha to die down. Homo Sapiens, the drama species.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Forget pepperoni, I'd love some kielbasa right now. It's bigger, more filling, less salty, and more bang for the buck.

What, no eggplant!?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Several years ago, there was a revolt here (there have been a few) and a number of posters formed a FB group for the purpose of being free of its rules. I don't have first-hand knowledge and it was allegedly a closed by-invitation-only group but rumors leaked here that members of the group were disparaging about PS and some of the posters here. The brouhaha eventually died down, some of the FB members still posted here and said that the group wasn't as mean as described by an ex-member but the damage was done and it took awhile for the brouhaha to die down. Homo Sapiens, the drama species.

I know that there are a few private FB groups. I was part of three for a few months - a tiny subset of the totality, I’m sure. I observed three commonalities:
1. A group confidence that that group was a better place to participate than PS proper, and a general disdain for PS that occasionally erupted into active, gossip-filled denigration,
2. A near complete lack of any technical discussion - these groups were NOT subbing for RT or the informative CS threads, and
3. A quantity of manufactured drama that I’ve quite honestly never witnessed before in my life.
I left all the private PS FB groups and I can’t say I miss them, though I do occasionally wonder what the latest crises might be.

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
All topics of social importance will be political since it is policy -- either set by government bodies or ignored by government bodies -- that drive the issues. @Ella, would you consider re-creating the SteamRoom that existed before your time and Andrey's time here? An unmoderated hidden subforum where topics that may become heated can be discussed with impunity?

If that's a possibility, it should be understood by participants that they enter at their own risk. Perhaps set up a threshold of who has access -- such as members with over a certain amount of posts (perhaps 100 posts) to weed out those who join just to cause trouble. A notice could be sent to those who reach the threshold of posts that the forum exists and if they wish access, they have to tell you so before you grant access.

we tried that on my Bruce Springsteen forum
you had to apply for acess and then it was only visible to approved members and not public
it didn't last
something someone once said has stuck with me
has even one person ever changed political 'sides' due to a post on an internet message board ?
i admit i enjoy the solidarity of finding other people who view politics from the right but if it results in falling out with nice people is it really worth it ?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What, no eggplant!?

some of us maybe are happily getting eggplants, sausage, kielbasa, etc and are just too exhausted to fight in political threads. ‍♀️

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
some of us maybe are happily getting eggplants, sausage, kielbasa, etc and are just too exhausted to fight in political threads.

Braggart.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
some of us maybe are happily getting eggplants, sausage, kielbasa, etc and are just too exhausted to fight in political threads. ‍♀️
Eggplant's all yours, vegetarian.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results