shape
carat
color
clarity

Polishing platinum

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Holy

Rough_Rock

I recently purchased a few platinum rings (all are Pt 950/Ruthenium 50). What type of cloth or other item wil properly polish platinum? Will a "normal" jewelry cloth work? I know that the wearing and polishing properties of platinum and gold and other metals are different; does this mean that I need a specific type of cloth or tool?

Will I even be able to do a proper job of polishing the platinum or will I have to take the items to a professional?

(I posted this in another forum also for more visibility in case this isn''t the best one. Hope no one minds!)

Thanks!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You won''t be able to polish platinum much with a jewelry cloth. It requires a tougher compound to wrok the surface than gold. Of course, keeping it clean is something that you can do and a good cleaning cloth will help some.

Holy

Rough_Rock
Then what can I get instead or in addition? Thanks.

DBM

Shiny_Rock
a full polish and rhodium will probably cost about$20 and will look like brand new so you might want to just consider taking it to a jeweler. alternately the jeweler could just boil and steam it for you which can also make a big difference after alot of dirt has collected on it.

Holy

Rough_Rock
Rhodium plating for platinum?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
it is a personal preference thing.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
My local jeweler charges something like $50 per ring, and an additional fee if you want it same-day. I thought that was really high, but when I posted a thread on it a while ago, others said that it was normal to be charged that much. So, while I prefer the shiny look of polished plat, I''ve come to accept the patina that develops over time (a SHORT time)!

DBM

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/20/2006 8:34:39 PM
Author: gailrmv
My local jeweler charges something like $50 per ring, and an additional fee if you want it same-day. I thought that was really high, but when I posted a thread on it a while ago, others said that it was normal to be charged that much. So, while I prefer the shiny look of polished plat, I''ve come to accept the patina that develops over time (a SHORT time)!
in fairness to your jeweler that could be a fair jeweler price, i was thinking in terms of cost here in the district

Holy

Rough_Rock
So is this something that I simply won''t be able to do at home?

grapegravity

Shiny_Rock
Try gemcare product...

Holy

Rough_Rock
What chemicals, cleaners, soaps, etc., should I avoid while wearing my lovely new platinum (950 platinum/50 ruthenium) wedding band from e-weddingbands.com? Probably a stupid question, since platinum is generally non-reactive.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results