Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity
  • Pricescope Upgrade/Maintenance Is Complete.

We still have a few things to iron out. If you see any bugs, issues or have any concerns, let us know here in this discussion.

Polishing platinum

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Holy

Rough_Rock

I recently purchased a few platinum rings (all are Pt 950/Ruthenium 50). What type of cloth or other item wil properly polish platinum? Will a "normal" jewelry cloth work? I know that the wearing and polishing properties of platinum and gold and other metals are different; does this mean that I need a specific type of cloth or tool?

Will I even be able to do a proper job of polishing the platinum or will I have to take the items to a professional?

(I posted this in another forum also for more visibility in case this isn''t the best one. Hope no one minds!)

Thanks!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You won''t be able to polish platinum much with a jewelry cloth. It requires a tougher compound to wrok the surface than gold. Of course, keeping it clean is something that you can do and a good cleaning cloth will help some.

Holy

Rough_Rock
Then what can I get instead or in addition? Thanks.

DBM

Shiny_Rock
a full polish and rhodium will probably cost about$20 and will look like brand new so you might want to just consider taking it to a jeweler. alternately the jeweler could just boil and steam it for you which can also make a big difference after alot of dirt has collected on it.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
My local jeweler charges something like $50 per ring, and an additional fee if you want it same-day. I thought that was really high, but when I posted a thread on it a while ago, others said that it was normal to be charged that much. So, while I prefer the shiny look of polished plat, I''ve come to accept the patina that develops over time (a SHORT time)!

DBM

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/20/2006 8:34:39 PM
Author: gailrmv
My local jeweler charges something like $50 per ring, and an additional fee if you want it same-day. I thought that was really high, but when I posted a thread on it a while ago, others said that it was normal to be charged that much. So, while I prefer the shiny look of polished plat, I''ve come to accept the patina that develops over time (a SHORT time)!
in fairness to your jeweler that could be a fair jeweler price, i was thinking in terms of cost here in the district

Holy

Rough_Rock
So is this something that I simply won''t be able to do at home?

Holy

Rough_Rock
What chemicals, cleaners, soaps, etc., should I avoid while wearing my lovely new platinum (950 platinum/50 ruthenium) wedding band from e-weddingbands.com? Probably a stupid question, since platinum is generally non-reactive.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.