shape
carat
color
clarity

Polar vortex temp check

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Currently -7 with god knows what wind chill here in suburban Chicago. Stay in and stay safe! :knockout:
Was the same here at 7:30. Forecast is 60 on Sunday. :lol:

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We have Smooth Fox Terriers and for this sort of cold, they get booties and jackets, even for just quick "pee breaks" outside. I bought balloons (at a party store) and cut the necks off, so they're fast n' easy to put on/take off. They also *stay* on and adapt to their foot shape, unlike many booties that are constructed of heavy/stiff fabric. Many pet stores carry heavy-duty balloon-style booties if your dog's paws are larger than retail balloon.
The balloons as booties is a genius idea! Thanks for sharing =)2.

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
You’re welcome! A few years ago I saw a little dog on the subway with the most glam, sparklie-gold booties. Turns out they were balloons, so I raced out to buy some.

Party store ballons are my fave, ‘cause they’re sold individually which means lots of fun colors to mix ‘n match. The first time I chose white ones (like the wee ones’ legs/feet). Mistake! In the snow, I could never tell if the booties were on or had gone missing. LOL! Now they wear brilliant booties, in all manner of colors, easy to see in the snow. :P2

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

How big are the retail balloons? I used to have a Newfoundland (who had massive paws) so I know he was too big for any normal size booties, but now I have an average size dog (about 80 pounds). Would balloons fit him? (I love these tips!)

Deb :wavey:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wind chill is at -54 here.

If I hadn't just finished a book about North Dakota, I would say you have to be kidding me. But in the book the air temperature went down to -31 degrees at night! I have never experienced cold of lower than about -5 degrees! -10 degrees at the coldest! I cannot imagine it. My breath is sucked out at -2 degrees F.

Deb/AGBF

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
If I hadn't just finished a book about North Dakota, I would say you have to be kidding me. But in the book the air temperature went down to -31 degrees at night! I have never experienced cold of lower than about -5 degrees! -10 degrees at the coldest! I cannot imagine it. My breath is sucked out at -2 degrees F.

Deb/AGBF
Once you get below about -10 it doesn't get much worse even up to -40

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Still shorts weather! Ima.jpg

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You’re welcome! A few years ago I saw a little dog on the subway with the most glam, sparklie-gold booties. Turns out they were balloons, so I raced out to buy some.

Party store ballons are my fave, ‘cause they’re sold individually which means lots of fun colors to mix ‘n match. The first time I chose white ones (like the wee ones’ legs/feet). Mistake! In the snow, I could never tell if the booties were on or had gone missing. LOL! Now they wear brilliant booties, in all manner of colors, easy to see in the snow. :P2
Um, we need pictures :)

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh stay safe everyone ;(

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
28F with heavy wind gusts and light snow right now. Forecast showing 6F tonight. Afraid to think what my heating bill will be this month:eek2:

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Would now be a bad time to say that it's currently 70* outside??? :whistle::angel: Bonus of living in the desert, this "polar vortex" isn't having any effect on us. Stay warm all of you (Cozy: hits post and then runs and hides)...

28rrvj.jpg

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
currently -1 and feels like -22 in Ohio....

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel silly for complaining about it being in the low 30's the last couple mornings (afternoon it gets up to 50's).

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
-26 when I got up this morning. We’re up to -13 with windchills in the -50s.
We’re expecting -30 overnight. Bright sunny skies glistening on 15 -16” snow cover. Basically the coldest place on earth right now, but dang if it isn’t beautiful! :roll2:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
242FB4CB-F92A-4548-A734-B347EA420EEC.jpeg It’s up to -12! Heatwave! I had a dr appt this morning at -18 and it was colder than butt cold.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Also in Ohio.......was -6 with wind chills of -35 mid- to late-morning. Now it's a balmy 3 with wind chills of -5 to -12. The temp is supposed to keep rising over the next few days, with 3-5 inches of snow arriving Thursday night, then highs in the 50s Sunday through Wednesday. Then plunging cold again....

Luckily, our collie tends to get right down to business and then right back in after potties, so I haven't needed to worry too much about her. (Perhaps because we give her treats after she comes in?) Knowing I wouldn't be able to walk her today, the last few days I've been making sure we did an hour, or close to it, each day. I try to get DH to come along on walkies when I can, as when it isn't "yard work season", he doesn't get any other exercise to keep his BP down. We all headed out together yesterday in the late afternoon, with heavy protest from him, and though it was sunny, it was about 12-13 with fairly strong winds. He only made it one and a half blocks before he announced that it just wasn't healthy, by golly! and headed back grumbling. (She and I went on another 45-50 minutes.;)))

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Would now be a bad time to say that it's currently 70* outside??? :whistle::angel: Bonus of living in the desert, this "polar vortex" isn't having any effect on us. Stay warm all of you (Cozy: hits post and then runs and hides)...

28rrvj.jpg

DH and I are SO talking about being either Florida or Arizona snowbirds after he retires!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
frozenwig.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been doing laundry and I put a load of jeans in the dryer but didn't start it because I was waiting for something else to add first. When I opened the dryer, which vents outside, the jeans were frozen solid.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock

I feel for those of you in freezing temps, I could never live in a cold place. Yes, I
m with Cozy Stiches, it was 70 degrees yesterday in So Cal yesterday, and 68 today. I was complaining to hubby that rain was coming on Thursday through the weekend, and highs will be in the 50's bbbrrrrrrr........runs and hides

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So Cal here, too. Gorgeous day. But. I do envy all the quality time you all spent with your loved ones today! Cozy and warm. No work! No school! And everything will be back to normal in a couple of days!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have been doing laundry and I put a load of jeans in the dryer but didn't start it because I was waiting for something else to add first. When I opened the dryer, which vents outside, the jeans were frozen solid.
That is funny!!!!!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So Cal here, too. Gorgeous day. But. I do envy all the quality time you all spent with your loved ones today! Cozy and warm. No work! No school! And everything will be back to normal in a couple of days!
There are plenty of homeless folks and outdoor workers that aren’t “cozy and warm.” This is life threatening and pains me to think of many who can’t take shelter and warmth for granted. Nothing enviable about this situation. (I don’t mean to rant at you nala, I know you meant well.:cry2:)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This afternoon I ran out to a store to get my daughter something she wanted. When I went out the weather was fine. It was cold, but sunny. Very, very light snow...like a flurry. We had no snow on the ground and there had been no forecast of snow here. On the short ride to the store the snow whipped up and I changed my radio channel from Sirius to AM which gave me the local weather. It said we were about to have "snow squalls" and to treat them like thunderstorms: i.e. to know they would be extreme but of very short duration. (Everyone in this area knows thunderstorms.) The driving advisory said there would be whiteout conditions on the roads and just to pull over and wait it out. It could be 15 minutes or an hour, but not very long. I got my food and made it home, but getting from the care to the house-a short distance-was painful! I got knocked around by a very, very cold, fast wind blowing harsh snow at me. I didn't want to leave the grocery bag or my purse in the car or leave the gate unlocked or unsecured with a bungee cord because I didn't want the dog to be able to escape and I felt every second out in the wind because I hadn't bothered with a hat or scarf! Wow! Snow squalls are a new one!

Deb/AGBF

Tonight it's supposed to be 3 degrees (real temperature) here with some weird windchill. High of 17 degrees tomorrow?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror while I was putting clean sheets on the bed... I'm wearing a giant fuzzy fleece that I bought off the clearance rack in the girls' department at Walmart a few weeks ago. To be fair, I AM warm... but I look like I'm being eaten alive by a giant blue teddy bear from the bottom up! :lol:

#polarvortexfashionfail

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah my best friend is in Wisconsin and his furnace broke and its cold :( So definitely nothing enviable and comfy about that:( Hes recovering from eye surgery so I'm pretty concerned about him obviously. I'm just glad he is getting it fixed tomorrow and I am definitely hoping for more normal cold soon. This minus degrees stuff is BS. Especially when you have to run errands like we did. I was so grateful it was sunny out. It really helped a lot. Still froze my face off though x.x

I admit it makes me giggle when my dad starts wearing his jackets when it gets under 70. He is so spoiled by our years in Florida lol. If I have my way we will move back there after retirement. Give me back my winters with 60 degrees!!

Edit: I too realise I sound cranky with my reaction to your comment Nala. Just kinda rubbed me wrong given my friend's situation and I apologise for being b****y

Last edited:

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We Texans certainly like to think we're tough when it comes to summer heat. But I know that I could never handle that kind of cold! Prayers for all of y'all. Stay warm!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results