shape
carat
color
clarity

Polar vortex temp check

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Currently -7 with god knows what wind chill here in suburban Chicago. Stay in and stay safe! :knockout:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's -8 here in Belvidere at TR's house, and a balmy -3 downtown!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What was this baby thinking coming today?

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
-31 F here. - 52 with the windchill. It is so cold!!! My car almost didn’t start.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
-31 F here. - 52 with the windchill. It is so cold!!! My car almost didn’t start.

CMD, my car has been sitting outside undriven for over a week now while I've been in Aspen and I decided I better start it today just to see if it would! I brought it up here to TR's and it's going to spend the next 36 hours in his garage... although I'm not sure it will get warm enough in there for the snow on it to melt...

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good plan! I’ve never heard a car make noises like mine did at the end of the workday today. It was 20 minutes before the brakes and power steering unfroze.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DFF169E1-67DD-4637-9824-41ACEF4BB7BD.jpeg
On the news just now. Air temp -23F. Feels like -53 with the wind.

Stay warm everyone!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here in Australia we are melting ! :oops:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Currently -7 with god knows what wind chill here in suburban Chicago. Stay in and stay safe! :knockout:

I'm fairly close to you. Definitely staying inside other than the 2 appts we have to go to tommorow. Too cold to be traipsing around, let alone with my 9 month old. You stay warm too!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lowest we'll get here is -6 with a windchill at -28. 50s by the weekend...
Schools and government offices are closed tomorrow, 2 hr delay on Thursday. Mother Nature put us all on a timeout. Ugh.

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's -16 here with windchills of -43 and expecting windchills of -55 tomorrow morning. With all the fine powdery snow blowing the sky was hazy all day and the roads have been drifting over.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
1 degree here and I can’t stop thinking about the movie The Day After Tomorrow!

I have a question for those of you with dogs. How are you handling them going outside to do business? It will be -8 when they go out in the morning and they are saying on the news not to go outside with exposed skin. My dogs don’t like to wear coats and I’m also worried about their paws on the freezing snow.
Any tips or advice on how to keep them protected?

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Image1.jpg
Still shorts weather but getting close to cold enough for pants.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1 degree here and I can’t stop thinking about the movie The Day After Tomorrow!

I have a question for those of you with dogs. How are you handling them going outside to do business? It will be -8 when they go out in the morning and they are saying on the news not to go outside with exposed skin. My dogs don’t like to wear coats and I’m also worried about their paws on the freezing snow.

I've seen suggestions of bringing a patch of grass in the garage for dogs. Too cold to be safe even for quick potty trips!

ETA: I know there is little grass and very hard ground so I don't know how feasible this is. My dog was suitably upset by the wind last year that he pooped in a cat box. Not saying that will work (I didn't try to get him to do that. Just happened...) but hoping maybe it will help.

Last edited:

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
24 degrees with wind chill of 16. Schools scheduled for 2 hour delayed opening as of now.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
-13 and going down down down....

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've seen suggestions of bringing a patch of grass in the garage for dogs. Too cold to be safe even for quick potty trips!

ETA: I know there is little grass and very hard ground so I don't know how feasible this is. My dog was suitably upset by the wind last year that he pooped in a cat box. Not saying that will work (I didn't try to get him to do that. Just happened...) but hoping maybe it will help.

Thank you for the advice! These are the times when I wish I had potty pad trained them as a back up plan. That’s too funny that your dog went in the cat box =)2, better than the carpet for sure!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the advice! These are the times when I wish I had potty pad trained them as a back up plan. That’s too funny that your dog went in the cat box =)2, better than the carpet for sure!

65 pound dog... Potty pads just don't cut it sometimes! The cats were not amused.

I hope you figure something out that works for them. It is too cold for them or you to be outside. Stay safe!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stay safe and warm folks! Those temperatures make my teeth chatter just reading them!

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock

We have Smooth Fox Terriers and for this sort of cold, they get booties and jackets, even for just quick "pee breaks" outside. I bought balloons (at a party store) and cut the necks off, so they're fast n' easy to put on/take off. They also *stay* on and adapt to their foot shape, unlike many booties that are constructed of heavy/stiff fabric. Many pet stores carry heavy-duty balloon-style booties if your dog's paws are larger than retail balloon.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thinking of all you lovely ladies in the deep freeze today...stay safe, stay warm and stay cozy. Sending warm hugs your way!

stonefireplace.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think we are only getting one cold day in southwestern Connecticut...and it's not that cold. It has already warmed up to 19 degrees F. So cold but nowhere near what we can get here. The puddles (we got tons of rain for months) are all frozen.

Check out this article in "The New York Times".

"U.S. Midwest Freezes, Australia Burns: This Is the Age of Weather Extremes"

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/29/climate/global-warming-extreme-weather.html

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Minus 3 degrees here lol. Its sunny so I am hoping it helps a little bit since we have to take the baby with us.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the GTA we're at -17F with the windchill. Not nearly as bad as what I grew up with, which was -40F all the time in the winter and sometimes windchill that reached -75F. You can't breath at that temp. It was rare to go that low, yet it did. Ice would be on the water well into May and sometimes June. So glad I moved away!:eek2:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wind chill is at -54 here.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results