shape
carat
color
clarity

Plus size and non traditional dresses?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/30/2008 12:42:36 PM
Author: merrymunky
I would add straps to this.

I love this one! Would you consider getting one made? You could go to a bridal store and find a style that suits you and then get it made in the colours that you want it in.

merrymunky

Brilliant_Rock
If it wasn''t too costly then yes...a custom dress would be fantastic. I have no idea what my budget will be. We''re not going to have a fussy huge wedding anyway so I don''t want to spend a vast amount of money on the dress.

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
How about looking into quinceanera dresses? They tend to be higher quality materials than prom dresses, and come in all sorts of colors. I like this one because it combines the formal traditional wedding style, but in the bold red color...plus the price is great and comes in sizes 2-32!

http://www.thebridalshop.com/bonny_quinceanera/5713.htmhttp://www.thebridalshop.com/bonny_quinceanera/5713.htm

5713.jpg

Rock Your Socks

Shiny_Rock
i too am a plus size gal and if i was bold enough i would of gone for a red dress but oh well,

here''s some of the dresses i found for you...

this one is simple....

1902frontimage-B.jpg

Rock Your Socks

Shiny_Rock
here''s a cool one i found....

1725realpersonimage-B.jpg

Rock Your Socks

Shiny_Rock
here''s an actual plus size bride in a red dress...i know it''s not what you want style wise but i think it gives you an idea of what it would look like....

psbride01.jpg

Rock Your Socks

Shiny_Rock
another real bride....hope i helped....!
5.gif

JENNIFER%20KREFT%204.jpg

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Offering a bit of advice as a former plus-size bride (well, still plus size, just not the bride anymore :) - here in the US, most bridal stores will order just about any size - I tried on a dress that was a size 14, and we ordered it in a size 28 (Canadian..which I think was about the same as UK sizes?). Trying on tiny dresses was terrifying to me at first, but most are really open in the back, so they clamped it to my full strapless bra so I could see the look. I was surprised how well the dresses looked like they fit that way.

Like you, I was also looking for an unconventional dress - I wanted tea-length, so I looked at a LOT of bridesmaid dresses before deciding to alter a traditional gown. Going with a BM dress may be the route you might want to take - I was SHOCKED at how bridal-y bridesmaids gowns had become. Another route though may be to alter like I did/make fabric change requests for an existing dress. I found out that since the dresses are typically made to order, you can make changes to the gown and fabric if the company carries those fabrics in another garment. So if you love a wedding dress, but want a red bodice on it, the company can usually arrange that (for a fee - my BM dresses had custom paired fabrics to achieve the right color aqua, and I think they were $30 extra per dress). On my gown, the dress came with a champagne ribbon and I had it switched out to white. These things are relatively easy - you just need to be able to visualize how to make the changes and have a store that works well with that (I used a small salon rather than a big bridal mega-store - in this case, I felt like the mark-up on the dresses was well worth the better service).

Last thing- style. I should preface that I didn''t heed any of this advice, and I''m happy with how my dress looked, but -

Strapless dresses make curvy brides look curvier. I cannot believe how huge my chest looked when I saw pictures. For that reason, I''d consider straps or even a little cap sleeve. Boatnecks though are usually a bad idea.

A waistline that goes straight across the hips may not be the most flattering, either. While not necessarily in style, something with a little curve or V at the hips may look better - and depending on the cut of the dress, perhaps something with an empire waist.

The look that photographed the best in our shopping trip (and what I didn''t go for because it didn''t really fit the overall look of my wedding) is the style where the fabric is sweeped across the front and gathered at the size. When I saw pictures, I couldn''t believe how defined my barrel-shaped body looked.

And last (I did go with this advice) - the really stiff and shiny fabrics don''t really do much for a plus size. Matte fabrics seem to be more forgiving in photos.

Here''s a photo with the dress that I think had the best style to flatter a plus-size bride:

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Didn''t attach. Here''s the file this time -

I know this is not really the style that you''re going for (it wasn''t the right style for my wedding either), but I thought it was a flattering shape. But, when you start pulling things you do like (say, a deep red fabric, no beading, a different neckline) it may be easier to find a dress that you can customize.

notelmortonsdress.jpg

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
merrymunky, who makes those dresses you posted on the first page? I love the white one with the lace 3/4 sleeves.

merrymunky

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/30/2008 8:28:20 PM
Author: Rock Your Socks
Get rid of the bow on that and PERFECT. I love it!

@Guilty pleasure - That dress is a sincerity one I believe.

Elmorton - Thanks for your reply. So informative. I definitely do not want strapless...on that I completely agree with you. And on the satin/shiny look too. I would prefer a matte fabric that can be jazzed up with detailing instead.

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
merrymonkey - unfortunately, I don''t have any suggestions but I LOVE so many of the dresses that everyone else has found for you! I''m certain that whatever you decide upon will be amazing! I cannot wait to see what you come up with!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Check out Chantal Mallett - she does amazing dresses and is a plus size herself.

She''s expensive but you might get some ideas.

Also, a really good corset does amazing things - it might be worth having one made to wear under the dress, then you can wear it again later.

merrymunky

Brilliant_Rock
Wow...her site is amazing. Some of her dresses are stunning. WAY WAY WAY out of my price league, but stunning!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/30/2008 8:28:20 PM
Author: Rock Your Socks

That dress is stunning!

merrymunky

Brilliant_Rock
Oh heck...I have that website already saved to my faves. Seen some lovely gown and dresses there but somehow missed that stunner!

merrymunky

Brilliant_Rock
Ooooh, I found it. I saw this one months ago and loved it.

Pretty much top contender for a black gown so far. I would probably look horrific in it, but I love it.

415067.jpg

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
That dress is GORGEOUS.

lauralu

Brilliant_Rock
I thought so too, not my style, but gorgeous! I hope Merrymunky makes her way back to this thread before the auction is over so she can look at it

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results