color
clarity

Pls Urgent advice required vanadium chrysoberyl

puppyguts

Shiny_Rock
Please help. Just after advice really.

What would you pay?

Will need to get back to the seller asap

I have the opportunity to buy a 3.25ct GIA certified "vanadium" chrysoberyl. Loupe clean. Square cushion. Precision cut. Beautiful minty green. No window.

It's perfect. It's just $$$ ... I'm having a bit of buyers anxiety. I have been looking for a while. Will I be able to find another large, Beautiful stone? Probably not.

The price is high (for me). It will be my biggest purchase (other than house and car).

Reluctant at this stage to post pics or advise what seller. I have made severa purchases in the past from the same seller and have always been happy.

It's priced at over $2000/ct

Would you buy it. If it put you in debt..?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
puppyguts|1488341773|4135082 said:
Please help. Just after advice really.

What would you pay?

Will need to get back to the seller asap

I have the opportunity to buy a 3.25ct GIA certified "vanadium" chrysoberyl. Loupe clean. Square cushion. Precision cut. Beautiful minty green. No window.

It's perfect. It's just $$$ ... I'm having a bit of buyers anxiety. I have been looking for a while. Will I be able to find another large, Beautiful stone? Probably not.

The price is high (for me). It will be my biggest purchase (other than house and car).

Reluctant at this stage to post pics or advise what seller. I have made severa purchases in the past from the same seller and have always been happy.

It's priced at over $2000/ct

Would you buy it. If it put you in debt..?

1) is it a honest trustworthy seller with a stellar reputation?

2) What is the return policy?

3) A picture would help,although it's not always an accurate determination of quality.

puppyguts

Shiny_Rock
Yes trustworthy seller, on the coloured vendor list
Full return policy
Reluctant to post pics as stone is not yet listed and will give away the seller

puppyguts

Shiny_Rock
untitled_67.png

using my very best paintbrush skills, picture 1

puppyguts

Shiny_Rock
u2.png

pic 2

measurements are 8.5 x 7.7

GIA cert states vanadium (if that makes any difference?)

indoor hand shot: u3.png

puppyguts

Shiny_Rock
i'm going into a gym class now, please throw out a quick yay or nay. any feedback will be much appreciated

cm366

Shiny_Rock
Do you like the colour? It's more yellow than I think of when I hear 'mint', but it's certainly much more green than the average chrysoberyl and it's easy to believe it's coloured by vanadium!

puppyguts

Shiny_Rock
I do like the colour. If it was half the price I would have bought it without a second thought.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do yourself a favour and ask them to take a clear photo inside and outside of the stone sitting on the back of a hand, so you can clearly see how green it is or isn't and the shade it is or isn't. I hate stones on black backgrounds personally......

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ditto arkieb1. Black backgrounds may intensify colours. I prefer a hand shot.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I could be wrong, but I think the OP has put the black background in using paintbrush to obscure the vendor identity.

For me it would depend what my initial budget was, and what else I might need to firgo if I exceed that budget.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the price is fair enough. It's hard to gauge as they are so few and far between but I would pay that, myself.

The cut looks like perfection. The color seems lovely from what I can tell. The size is huge . If you can afford it I'd do it. Hell if I could afford it I'd do it lol. I don't like going in debt for jewels though so I would sell sell sell to afford it.

Oh, but I would never buy a gem if it puts me in dept. That seems wrong to me. Gems are not really necessary item. For debt? No way!

S

SparkliesLuver

I might be too late to the party, but ...

If I love every single thing about the stone, and I highly, highly doubt I'd find another one, then I'd probably go into debt for it; however, are we talking a couple months debt or like years? Months, okay. Years, not so much.

Keep us posted on what you decide! :appl:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From what I've learned recently, those babies are freaking hard to get. If you love the color, I'd definitely go for it (especially since you are familiar with the seller and they have a return policy). :D
If it's going to put you in debt for more than a few months than maybe not (you wouldn't be alone in putting new things on a CC).

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I would certainly pay 2k per carat for a fine 3+ carat V.chryso. But based on the pics you've posted I wouldn't pay it for that stone. the vanadium bay be present, but those pics don't show an eye popping vibrant minty green with blue. I'm sorry to say I find it a little drab and yellowy.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VapidLapid|1488378525|4135173 said:
I would certainly pay 2k per carat for a fine 3+ carat V.chryso. But based on the pics you've posted I wouldn't pay it for that stone. the vanadium may be present, but those pics don't show an eye popping vibrant minty green with blue. I'm sorry to say I find it a little drab and yellowy.
I feel the same way. It's nice but not nice enough for me to splurge at $2K/ct.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not worth going into debt, so your other questions are moot.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As there is a return policy, and you have very positive experience with this dealer and presumably know how to read/interpret his photos, I'd probably buy it so I could see it in person ... but FWIW like others I am somewhat underwhelmed by what I see in the photos.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VapidLapid|1488378525|4135173 said:
I would certainly pay 2k per carat for a fine 3+ carat V.chryso. But based on the pics you've posted I wouldn't pay it for that stone. the vanadium bay be present, but those pics don't show an eye popping vibrant minty green with blue. I'm sorry to say I find it a little drab and yellowy.

+1 - I'd pass.

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
I will pay for that price if it's this color :angel:

1542246b200dc6fb60fc333deb83ad86.jpg

austinj

Shiny_Rock

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
austinj|1488389568|4135225 said:
If I had that kind of money to spend right now, I would probably rather get a merelani mint custom cut like Endless Summer`s beautiful asscher! You could probably get one cut in the 3-5 carat range for that price (correct me if I am wrong). And you will get that beautiful mint color!
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/files/jw_mint_garnet_-_on_druzy.jpg']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/files/jw_mint_garnet_-_on_druzy.jpg[/URL]

I was going to suggest the same, depending on how often you plan to wear the ring, and how hard you are on your jewelry. You won't be able to get a 5 ct blue-green for that price, even wholesale, but you might be able to find one in the 3 ct range, including the setting.

puppyguts

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone

The black background was me colour it in to hide the vendor identity.

I think I'm going to pass on this one. I tend to agree with OTL. If it was that colour I'd buy it too. I was expecting a little more blue- green.

I do really like the colour/cut/size. But the price point is a little high for me.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To be honest, it looks like a typical greenish chrysoberyl without vanadium. You might want to look at mint tsavorite as an alternative if you want a minty color.

Is there a rule how much vanadium must be in a stone to be called 'vanadium chrysoberyl'?

This is the chart provided for the stone:

vch307-certab.jpg

Not that understand what it means but perhaps somebody can explain?

eos512

Shiny_Rock
a minty bluish-green chrysoberyl will deserve the money that you are going to pay. But i dont think it works for a yellowish-green. Yellowish-green is very common in the chrysoberyl family. I think the same story also happens in the disccusion about the cobalt spinel

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I disagree with everyone that says it looks like a typical Chrysoberyl I've seen enough to know they don't have cool tones like that. Could it be more blue? Sure. But I don't find it drab and I don't find it yellow. I'm not going into debt over it but it's not a typical Chrysoberyl color. Also it's rare to have vanadium in it, something special in that regard so I don't think any mint colored stone would be a good substitute.

I know for me a mint garnet in place of a vanadium chrysoberyl is like moissy instead of a diamond.

But I get it's not the most striking green in his photos.

S

SparkliesLuver

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results