shape
carat
color
clarity

Pls HELP with new earrings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m thinking of these as the "dangling" parts to my new earrings (with the upper part) being my existing 0.50-ish each RB G colour, so-so cut stones (they measure about 5mm in diameter each):

http://www.abazias.com/database/NewDiamondInfo.asp?stock=33815977 - there are 2 that are practically identical; or these:

http://www.abazias.com/database/NewDiamondInfo.asp?stock=35478790
http://www.abazias.com/database/NewDiamondInfo.asp?stock=35478793

The funny thing is that for each of these pairs, the two diamonds are almost identical. In addition, there doesn''t appear to much infor available. I''ve requested more infor and forward these later. But based on what''s here so far as well as the shape and sizes, what do you think?

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
I personally prefer the pears. I think the sharper edges of the triangles would clash with the RB''s, and is a bit more trendy. The pears at least have some roundness to them so they would match better. Are you planning on making the drops detachable?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i like the cohesive drippy drop look of the pears.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would definitely go with the pears-I think they''ll look great! The trillions just don''t do it for me, and I don''t think they''d look as good with the rounds.

But you mentioned your RB earrings you have now are just so so...have you thought about trying to sell them and getting better quality RB earrings you''re completely happy with before you buy these pears? That way you''re not spending extra money on a pair of earrings you don''t really like. Just my two cents!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Orbaya, for your reply. I like the pears better myself too. However, I am rather torn as I am thinking of asking Leon to put larger pears as a detachable part to my larger studs (1 carat each), as his work is so gorgeous that I''d like to save the money for that project later. In the meantime, I am thinking of maybe trillions or even ovals to match my smaller studs, for variation. It''s also doubtful that the local jeweler here in Singapore can make jackets for me.

Do you think size-wise, that I am on the right track?

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Bell and Thing2of2. Looks like the general consensus is for the pears. Pls see my reply above. I like the look of the pears too, but am thinking of may be something different for these stones.

Thing2of2, these smaller studs are DH''s wedding present to me. So whilst they''re not ideal cut, I treasure them for sentimental reasons. Thanks though.
1.gif

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
I think the size is good...at least what I am picturing in my head is! If you choose something other than the pears, I''d recommend something that is more rounded (has softer corners). I think ovals would be nice too. My favorite is the pears though. Make sure you have them detachable...you can switch out the look by using colored gemstone studs with the diamond drops too!
30.gif
It''s all about options!
2.gif

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi LienTN.

So, if I understand this correctly, you have a pair of 0.50-carat each studs that your hubby gave you as a wedding gift. These are sentimental and you will not be trading them. However, you are getting 1.00-carat each studs in addition.

You are thinking about how to use the 0.50-ct each sentimental studs so that you will wear them once you have the larger ones.

Here''s what I suggest. Use your 0.50-carat each diamonds as part of the drop! I think that would look fabulous and get you the most use and bang for your buck.

You can wear the 1-carat each studs regularly and then for special occasions you can add the "earring jacket" or drop. Each drop will have one 0.50-carat and one pear (or one trillion). I might opt for a slightly bigger pear, if you use pears. I think these trillions would be nice. It really depends what looks better on your ear.

If you are like me, you will wear your new studs all of the time and other earrings will become superfluous. Using the old diamonds in a drop will be your best bet. Also, if you upgrade again, you can just add the 1.00-carat diamond to the drop for a "Journey" type effect.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Orbaya, I am definitely going for detachable dangling parts. Two sets of earrings for the price of one!
3.gif

Starryeyed, sorry I didn''t explain properly at the beginning. I already have a pair of 1+ carat each (2+carat tw). The other ones are also in fact not 0.50 carat each, rather 0.60 carat each (about 1.2+ cttw).

I am definitely going to get pears now. But I am a bit confused still as to whether to get larger pears to go as detachable parts to the larger studs (which I do wear on a daily basis) and have Leon Mege do them - as I think the cost would make it quite prohibitive to do this with the smaller studs and would not do justice to "the master"''s work-of-art. Then I can wear them with the dangling parts for more dressy occasions.

So I am still thinking maybe of some other shape for the smaller studs (which I personally are too small to wear on their own
2.gif
and are thus left untouched, which is a bit of a waste). Perhaps I will go with ovals for the smaller studs and not make them detachable, as I doubt a local jeweler can do the jackets. I am thinking maybe I could then wear these for semi-formal / cocktail occasions, no? yes?

Starryeyed, what is "journey type effect?"

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
What about dangling marquis stones? That would be pretty, or do gemstone pears instead of diamonds pears, they might be more budget friendly.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2007 7:17:16 AM
Author: lienTN
Starryeyed, what is 'journey type effect?'
Journey diamond jewelry is a line manufactured and promoted by one of the DeBeers sightholders. Maybe you don't have the ads in Singapore, but here in the US, the were a slew of Journey ads at the holidays. Here is an excerpt from their site:

The Diamond Journey celebrates a woman’s life-long love affair with diamonds. As a woman goes through life, diamonds take on special meaning and help mark sentimental and endearing moments that can be cherished forever. Every diamond jewelry piece that a woman owns is as unique as the woman who wears it....we recognize that diamond jewelry acquisitions in life usually revolve around heart tugging celebrations. We call these moments “The Diamond Journey's Touch Points”.

Their pieces feature a string of diamonds in a row usually. They have a pendant with a series of diamonds in a soft "S" shape in increasing size. It's suppose to symbolize the growth of love or something.

What I am suggesting is that you start earring jackets that incorporate the diamonds from your smaller studs. I have attempted a drawing. Each time you upgrade your studs, you can add the old diamonds to the jacket/drop. That way, your earring jackets are a symbol of all the milestones in your life for which you've received new studs.

Attachments

• LienTNdrop1.PDF
    9.9 KB · Views: 23

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Trying again....

LienTNdrop2.jpg

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
i prefer the pear. the triangle shape is too ubrupt. doesn''t flow as well as the pear.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Well, if it were me, and I had two pairs of stud/dangly combos, I''d probably end up wearing the bigger ones most of the time...

When it comes time to have the jackets done, you might consider mechanisms like these:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-detachable-drop-earrings.50634/

They bring the drops forward, directly under rather than slightly behind the studs. Great look.

Here''s a pic:

0gizo9.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
the pears look very fluid and graceful, that would be my pick.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2007 3:23:57 PM
Author: kcoursolle
the pears look very fluid and graceful, that would be my pick.

ditto!!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Starryeyed, many thanks for your reply and cute drawings
1.gif
. I did suspect that you may have meant something like that but wasn''t quite sure about the meaning behind "journey". The ad reads great (gosh, I am so brain-washed by De Beers and seriously don''t mind in the least!
3.gif
). I''ve never seen such ads in Singapore, maybe it is just a matter of time. The idea is really a great one, but unfortunately the cut of my smaller earrings is really not comparable to the larger ones''. n I wonder though if I should try this style out in jackets, with these smaller ones in the middle, surrounded by smaller pave and the pears (maybe even fancy colour) at the bottom, perhaps with pave also. Then the larger studs can be on the top and I can still wear them on a daily basis, adding the jackets for more dressy occasions. Maybe with the length and the pave, no-one would notice the cut difference (?).

Jcrow, Kcoursolle and MrsSalvo, pears it is then!

Widget, thanks for the link and pic. Very helpful. I am sure you''re right. So maybe something like I what wrote above would be best.

I am still thinking of going to Leon Mege for the custom work. I''ve also been researching for fancy yellow pear-shaped stones at Diamond by Lauren but they don''t seem to have a pair of the size I''d like at the moment. Shoudl I consider asking Leon to source these for me, or shoudl I just ask him to do the custom work for the jackets?

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2007 10:40:20 AM
Author: lienTN
Thanks, Bell and Thing2of2. Looks like the general consensus is for the pears. Pls see my reply above. I like the look of the pears too, but am thinking of may be something different for these stones.

Thing2of2, these smaller studs are DH''s wedding present to me. So whilst they''re not ideal cut, I treasure them for sentimental reasons. Thanks though.
1.gif

Oh, I understand completely...I am very sentimental and I would treasure those forever also. (And I hope I didn''t offend you with my comment!)

It looks like you are going to go for the pears and I can''t wait to see the finished product! I hope you''ll post pictures when they''re done!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Miranda, thanks for the link. Those are pretty. Mine would be something along that line.

Thing2of2, you absolutely didn't offend at all
1.gif
. You weren't to know. And I value all opinions, advice and comments.

Will definitely post pics when they are finished. Might be a while though, particularly if I want the fancy yellow stones, which I am tending towards. I can't wait, actually, v. excited... beautiful fancy yellow pears with pave, put together with my RB's and best of all they will be done by "The Master"!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results