shape
carat
color
clarity

Please vote: Setting for my AVC

Which setting should I choose? (elongated AVC)

• keep the original: solitaire

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • pave band

Votes: 16 42.1%
  • tapered baguettes

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • 2 small round diamonds

Votes: 3 7.9%

• Total voters

hyoid

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone!
Can you help me figure out which setting would suit my elongated 1.35ct AVC?

The current setting I have is a simple cathedral solitaire. I love solitaires, and that's precisely the problem. All my other (gemstone) rings are in solitaire settings, too ;-) So I'm wondering if there is another setting that's a little more interesting and different for my AVC.

Here are some of the settings I'm considering (please vote, thank you!). The new setting will be in platinum and not in the metal color shown in these pictures. Also, I don't like to stack rings, so I won't be wearing this ring with my wedding band.

1. Original solitaire setting
office.jpg

2. Diamond pave band
thin diamond pave.jpg

3. Tapered baguettes
tapered baguettes.jpg

4. Small round diamonds
two tiny round sidestones.jpg
Would it be distracting to have sidestones or pave band next to the AVC?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted to keep the original (or at least keep a plain metal band -- no diamonds). Your stone is beautiful and should be the star of the show. Other diamonds distract from the center, IMO. :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of the choices I say leave her alone!:wink2:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@hyoid, I love your AVR, but I can completely relate to your desire to change its "outfit" a little bit! While I think that solitaires are super classy and showcase the diamonds well, I actually don't think that they do justice to antique cuts as much. I alsolutely adored @JDDN 's CvB custom three stone AVR. It is definitely one of my all time faves! You can see pics here:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/custom-cut-avc-in-cvb.229336/#post-4138520

I also saw this on VCs IG page the other day and thought that it was stunning, made me wish for an AVR/CER: https://instagram.com/p/BW5hmeyjGOh/

I would do one of these designs/similar designs. I would not use rounds as side stones, I find that the modern cut will clash with the vintage. I don't mind the baguettes, I think that @sparkleaddict / @jenniann AVR ring has baguettes as side stones. Perhaps, she can share a photo :)

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm biased as my OEC e-ring has baguette sides so I love that look. I would suggest you could also look at having French cuts flanking it if you wanted to have a bit of a different bling next to that gorgeous AVC? Otherwise, I think it's pretty perfect as is. Although I've been looking at Erika Winters settings recently and am completely in love with the Grace that has petal sides - the top down view is really different IMO. Would that be an option for your AVC?

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd have to agree with others...of the choices listed, I'd leave it as is. BUT I would totally prefer some delicious French cuts flanking your center as foxinsox recommended!! :lickout: Not the cheapest option though!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am struck by the grace and subtle presence of the square cushion with the 2 small diamonds - for your rectangular cushion, though, I'd go with two small single-cuts nestled on each shoulder - I think that would be beautifully elegant.

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have to agree with some of the other posters, I am not crazy about the options listed. I also feel the same as you did that I want my rings to be different.

IMHO, your current setting is beautiful, but an antique stone really shines in a vintage inspired setting.

Have you see this setting? I am sure that Erica can customize if you prefer prongs over a bezel and it can be done in the metal of your choice.
http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/the-amanda-solitaire-setting/

hyoid

Rough_Rock
Thanks for voting, and for your comments! I really appreciate everyone's input and suggestions <3

SimoneDi, I agree with you that JDDN's 3-stone ring is beautiful, thanks very much for the link (and thanks for understanding my desire to change the AVC's outfit)! Looks like her sidestones are french cuts, which are probably out of my budget. I'll be sure to keep this setting in mind, though, and hopefully create something similar in the future!

foxinsox, your setting with baguette sides is amazing :love: My friend also has baguette sidestones (though her center is an MRB), and I just love how classy it looks. I'm wondering how it will look with an AVC in the center.
I think Erika Winter's Grace ring is really unique and graceful. I'm not ready to venture out that far yet (I've only had very plain settings for my rings), but maybe someday.. thanks for bringing it up!

ac117, I think french cuts are lovely and perfect for antique cushions, too, thanks for suggesting it! I really wish I could afford them :cry:

marymm, that last ring/setting has always been my dream ring, I'm so glad you voted for it! Do you think single cuts will look different than full cuts at this size? If they do, and their bigger/bolder flashes are less distracting, I would totally consider this setting.

Octo2005, I bookmarked the Amanda setting awhile back, it's one of the most gorgeous settings I've seen online so far! I don't know if I feel bold enough to go this fancy with my setting yet. But good to note that the AVC may look best in an vintage inspired setting :)

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
I voted solitaire, although the pave setting would be a close second.

I have a "premium vintage cushion" from GOG; they call it something else now. But I had it in a solitaire for a year and ended up resetting it. GOG set it higher than I preferred, and a local jeweler made a mess out of the prongs when he lowered it, so I had to move on and reset. After returning a James Allen knife edge pave setting, I chose a plain pave setting and had a WB soldered to it. I love the new setting and how the pave adds glamour to it all. However, I occasionally look at pictures of it in the soli and miss the simplicity and elegance! If I could go back, I would have made sure that it had been set low in the soli to begin with.

Your diamond is beautiful. Best wishes on your setting journey!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I happen to love a classic solitaire and that would be my vote EXCEPT for the fact that you're asking, which makes me think you're itching for a change. So I voted for the pave band. I think it suits your center stone better than your other options.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@hyoid I am so happy that you liked the three stone with French cut side stones! It is a truly stunning setting. Before you get discouraged by the cost, I would definitely shop around and ask for some quotes, namely from CvB and David Klass, they both specialize in vintage inspired and DK once provided me with a very reason quote for a ring design with many French cuts. CvB is obviously the original creator of the setting and her work is impeccable. :)

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What's your budget for the reset? A pair of French cuts probably wouldn't be too awful would it?
The second picture with the pave band is pretty gorgeous too - I would be a little worried about the prongs since there's no gallery rail at the top of the prongs so they might be vulnerable if you snagged them on anything. The double prong VC SimoneDi linked above looks fabulous with the antique cushion in it too so you know that your AVC would probably look just as amazing.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm biased I like either the French cuts or traps for sides or keeping the shank plain and putting a delicate halo around the stone. They are my two favourite ways to set AVCs.

hyoid

Rough_Rock
DaintyG, I just read your past threads about your journey to set your premium vintage cushion (that diamond is a beauty!). I think I'm where you were last year in terms of making my setting choices :kiss2: I think your current setting is perfect, but it's also interesting to hear that you sometimes think about your previous solitaire setting. I guess I'm the opposite right now-- because I have a solitaire, I want something more.

VRBeauty, thanks for chiming in! You're totally right that I'm itching for a change. But I'm also nervous that I'll spend money on a setting that I'll tire of quickly. This is why I can't make the leap to getting an antique setting. I've always been a solitaire girl, and I think* I want something slightly more dressy for my AVC at this point.

Thanks, SimoneDi & foxinsox, I'll email David Klass and CvB about the french cut sidestones. I'd like to spend around $2500 for the reset :oops2: and I quickly gave up on the CvB Giselle idea after seeing the listed price for a 14K setting. I'll certainly consider double prongs if the vendor I choose can make them small & delicate and not cover up the AVC too much (it's only 1.3ct).

arkieb1, I actually emailed Steven Kirsch about his Bloom setting a few days ago before I posted here on Pircescope (haven't heard back yet but I'm pretty sure his setting is way above my budget).
ring-bloom-halo-cushion-diamond-petals-platinum-steven-kirsch-01.png ring-bloom-halo-cushion-diamond-petals-platinum-steven-kirsch-04.png
I love the idea of a delicate halo + plain shank, but I think I'll have to see it in person first to know if it will be too.. fancy for my taste. I can't tell whether the delicate halo will make my center look too big for everyday wear.

Can I just say how thrilled I am to be receiving all of the above comments? I feel like I'm getting feedback from the superstars :dance: Thank you all so much!!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@hyoid I am glad that you are considering reaching out to DK and CvB! I hope that they provide you with quotes that you can work with!

Regarding the SK halo setting, SK created a very similar setting (halo + plain shank) for my friend! She still does not have the ring, so I can't post photos, but it is absolutely stunning and SK is a pleasure to work with. Pricing in the beginning of the year was $2800 for halo and plain stems, $3k for diamonds on stems, I am not sure if the petals will be extra, but the ring really turned out gorgeous!

Last edited:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous stone!!! I agree with Arkieb: I would opt for french cuts, traps or a delicate halo. You could also ask a quote for David for a halo.

What could help is to visit several local jewelers so see whether you love the look of a halo on your hand.

I also love you current solitaire.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ring-bloom-halo-cushion-diamond-petals-platinum-steven-kirsch-01.png ring-bloom-halo-cushion-diamond-petals-platinum-steven-kirsch-04.png
I love the idea of a delicate halo + plain shank, but I think I'll have to see it in person first to know if it will be too.. fancy for my taste. I can't tell whether the delicate halo will make my center look too big for everyday wear.

Since you love this setting, why not reach out to David Klass to make something very similar? His prices are very reasonable, and I've heard he has an uber bench now, so even better quality! :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I wanted a stand-alone diamond wedding ring, I would have either side stones to make a 3 stone ring or I would have a split shank (with halo) to make the ring more subtantial looking. I'd also do an antique style setting with an AVC.

jenniann

Shiny_Rock
@hyoid, I love your AVR, but I can completely relate to your desire to change its "outfit" a little bit! While I think that solitaires are super classy and showcase the diamonds well, I actually don't think that they do justice to antique cuts as much. I alsolutely adored @JDDN 's CvB custom three stone AVR. It is definitely one of my all time faves! You can see pics here:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/custom-cut-avc-in-cvb.229336/#post-4138520

I also saw this on VCs IG page the other day and thought that it was stunning, made me wish for an AVR/CER: https://instagram.com/p/BW5hmeyjGOh/

I would do one of these designs/similar designs. I would not use rounds as side stones, I find that the modern cut will clash with the vintage. I don't mind the baguettes, I think that @sparkleaddict / @jenniann AVR ring has baguettes as side stones. Perhaps, she can share a photo :)

Sorry, not been paying attention lately! My avatar shows baguettes but these were subsequently cut into bullets - this is the final ring (although I have recently ugraded the AVC so am working with BE to reset the bullets with a sapphire and have a new project on the go with an AVR). Anyway, I loved this design, just felt the draw of a larger stone and the need to go back to a solitaire for my ER.......

Attachments

• AVC 3stone.jpg
    AVC 3stone.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 18

jenniann

Shiny_Rock
I should just add that BE's hand forged bench made the setting and did an awesome job, highly recommend them. Just realised I don;t think I ever posted this ring on PS, oops!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ac117, I think french cuts are lovely and perfect for antique cushions, too, thanks for suggesting it! I really wish I could afford them

How about just two of them - as sides. I am not seeing many pairs etc. but they must exist.

Noticed a series of three-stone rings with new-old brilliant cushions and all sorts of step cut & French sides & wild sides - perhaps useful reference WWW (too many to link each).

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is so amazing! What a masterpiece!:love: Can you please share the specs? All of your pieces have been gorgeous! Is the AVC your forever shape?

hyoid

Rough_Rock
Your ring is so amazing! What a masterpiece!:love: Can you please share the specs? All of your pieces have been gorgeous! Is the AVC your forever shape?

Yes, please do share the specs! This is an amazing setting, thanks so much for posting & sharing it! Can you tell me why you decided to go with bullets and not baguettes as your sidestones?

hyoid

Rough_Rock
@hyoid I am glad that you are considering reaching out to DK and CvB! I hope that they provide you with quotes that you can work with!

Regarding the SK halo setting, SK created a very similar setting (halo + plain shank) for my friend! She still does not have the ring, so I can't post photos, but it is absolutely stunning and SK is a pleasure to work with. Pricing in the beginning of the year was $2800 for halo and plain stems, $3k for diamonds on stems, I am not sure if the petals will be extra, but the ring really turned out gorgeous!

Oh, that really isn't so bad (price) for an SK ring! I still haven't heard back from him but some of his rings on the website are $5000-$7000, so I figured the Bloom setting would be out of reach for me. Maybe I'll contact him again, though I think DK and CvB prices are usually lower..?
I hope she posts pictures of her new ring on Pricescope when she receives it :)

hyoid

Rough_Rock
What a gorgeous stone!!! I agree with Arkieb: I would opt for french cuts, traps or a delicate halo. You could also ask a quote for David for a halo.

What could help is to visit several local jewelers so see whether you love the look of a halo on your hand.

I also love you current solitaire.

Thank you so much, Acinom <3
I'll go try a few different settings at a local jewelry store this weekend and see what a halo (hopefully they'll have a delicate halo) looks like on my hand.

hyoid

Rough_Rock
How about just two of them - as sides. I am not seeing many pairs etc. but they must exist.

Noticed a series of three-stone rings with new-old brilliant cushions and all sorts of step cut & French sides & wild sides - perhaps useful reference WWW (too many to link each).

Thank you, Valeria101! That link is really helpful, definitely gives me a lot of beautiful options to think about. Maybe too many ;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results