shape
carat
color
clarity

Please vote on side stones for 1.66 carat to fix ring!!

cluelessupgrade

Rough_Rock
I posted a couple weeks ago about my 3-stone engagement ring that I "upgraded" as a Christmas gift to become a 5-stone. My original ring was a .43 center with .25 sides. I admit I knew nothing about diamonds when my DH and I on a whim stopped by our local jewelry store and asked them to help design something and pick out a new larger center stone. They designed a 5-stone ring with a 1.52 carat center stone, flanked by my original .43 on one side, with an additional .43 that we purchased and used my .25 sides. When the ring was done, I was not only disappointed with the stone we chose--a 1.52 carat EGL SI3--which I now know was a ridiculous waste of money, but the ring proportions looked out of whack and too wide for my finger. Plus, the ring was sized at 5.5 and it turns out I'm 4.5. Trying to remedy the situation the cheapest way possible, I thought sizing it plus getting a larger center stone would help the proportions and make it less wide, so I upgraded the stone to a GIA certified 1.66 carat hearts and arrows H S12, which I really love. However, the ring still is too wide for my 4.5 finger--the prongs are sharp and HURT when I put my fingers together. :wall: And, the proportions still look wrong to me.

We now have just under $16K invested in this ring. (The new stone cost $12,840, though I got full credit for what we paid for the original stone. I realize now I could have gotten a much nicer, larger stone on-line, if only I had found this site earlier!) It is driving me crazy. I now have decided I need to go back to a 3-stone ring using my current 1.66 center and two of the sides. I found a beautiful trellis setting on WF and am thinking of ordering it and having my local jeweler set the stones. Here is a link to the setting:

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/three-stone/3-stone-trellis-diamond-engagement-ring-1026.htm

My question is whether I should flank the 1.66 center with my .43 carat sides or the .25 carat sides. On my original thread, several posters suggested I do this with the .25s and use the .43s for earrings. I am leaning towards that option, but instead of making earrings, saving the .43s for an upgrade in a few years, maybe to a 2.2 center. In the meantime, I really love the WF trellis design, and it's only $1500, so that seems a cheap fix.

Would you please vote as to whether you think the .25 sides or the .43s will look better? I do want the center stone to stand out on my 4.5 hand, so I'm leaning .25. I'm attaching a few pics. Thanks so much!!

Here is a current shot from the top of my ring the way it is. You can see how wide it is:
photo_1_150.jpg

Here is a profile shot of my ring. I actually like it from this angle, but I think it was just not designed right, which causes the prongs to stab into my fingers:
photo_2_139.jpg

Here is a pic covering up the .25 ends, which gives you an idea what it would look like with the .43 sides.
photo_3_93.jpg

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the .43s. I'm guessing you'll get a split vote here though. Some people really prefer more of a size differential. To MY eye the .43s looks balanced.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the .43s too.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the .43s too. I think the .25s would be too small.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the .43s also, looks good proportionally imo and will give you nice finger coverage. Sorry for the trouble you've been having, a 3 stone in a trellis setting will be beautiful!

Downsy

Shiny_Rock
I vote 43's!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The .43's look amazing with your center stone. Looks very balanced and nice on your fingers.

If you were to use the .43's for this current ring, can you still use them to upgrade later to the 2.2 center you mentioned? In other words, would you be keeping the ring you are about to make and buy an additional 2.2 carat or will you use the stones in this ring to upgrade? If it's the latter, then I see no reason not to use the .43's now.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The .43's are perfect with that center stone! I actually have a 1.65 that I was thinking of adding side stones, and that was the size I liked best!

You can always set the .25 stones in a halo earring setting. I would make the ring proportional. You can still use the .43s if you upgrade later to over 2 cts. But this looks like a great size 3 stone ring on you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results