shape
carat
color
clarity

please tell me what you think of this...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

antiquediamond

Rough_Rock
I saw this stone on www.diamondwholesale.cc. I''ve broadened my horizons as rounds seem a lot easier to find than OEC''s w/ GIA cert. which I now understand is VERY important. Tell me what you think...
F
Depth: 61.8
Table: 62
Lab: GIA
Gdl: ?
Culet: Small
Sym: good
Polish: good
Flr: none
meas.: 6.14 x 6.25 x 3.88
ONLY $2,999

NOTE: I want my diamond to look bigger big, the bigger the better, but well cut. Of these specs, which one(s) do you look at to see that you''re getting a bigger looking diamond? My guess is smaller depth/larger table??

rbjd

Shiny_Rock
That table looks kinda big. A smaller depth will give you a larger spread and hence a bigger look. That stone is also a little out of round maybe. I'd go with a smaller table and a smaller depth.

antiquediamond

Rough_Rock
What does "a little out of round" mean?
A well-cut diamond? Acceptable depth 57-64? Table? 53-64? Do these numbers sound right?
What's the "worst" cut, clarity, color any of you would go to for a round and still have a quality stone?

rbjd

Shiny_Rock
"Out of round", meaning lopsided. It is 6.14x6.25, that's over a millimeter out of round for a less than one carat stone. That would trouble me. That means it probably doesn't have very good symmetry. It sounds far from ideal cut for a round brilliant.

I personally would stick to a table between 54 and 57. I personally would stick to a depth between 59.9 and 61.5. I personally would go for clarity of no less than VS2. Color doesn't matter so much to me.

lucy

Rough_Rock
what would "out of round" be for a 3 carat?
thanks

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Table's rather big. The standards for a RB are rather more stringent than the ones for an OEC. You can pass off the quirks of an OEC because it's an antique; with a RB you can only say it's cut poorly.

BTW, did you say that you're giving up the OEC hunt because you're having a hard time finding one with a GIA cert? If that's the issue, I wouldn't worry about it. A GIA or AGS or HRD cert is important with a modern diamond, but it's hardly standard with an OEC. What you need is a vendor whose eye you can trust, an appraiser, and a good evaluation period.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 7/14/2003 5:58:32 PM antiquediamond wrote:

NOTE: I want my diamond to look bigger big, the bigger the better, but well cut. Of these specs, which one(s) do you look at to see that you're getting a bigger looking diamond? My guess is smaller depth/larger table??
----------------

If you want to go bigger go for a near colorless G/H SI stone with a better cut.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results