Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

please tell me what you think of this...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

antiquediamond

Rough_Rock
I saw this stone on www.diamondwholesale.cc. I''ve broadened my horizons as rounds seem a lot easier to find than OEC''s w/ GIA cert. which I now understand is VERY important. Tell me what you think...
F
Depth: 61.8
Table: 62
Lab: GIA
Gdl: ?
Culet: Small
Sym: good
Polish: good
Flr: none
meas.: 6.14 x 6.25 x 3.88
ONLY $2,999

NOTE: I want my diamond to look bigger big, the bigger the better, but well cut. Of these specs, which one(s) do you look at to see that you''re getting a bigger looking diamond? My guess is smaller depth/larger table??

rbjd

Shiny_Rock
That table looks kinda big. A smaller depth will give you a larger spread and hence a bigger look. That stone is also a little out of round maybe. I'd go with a smaller table and a smaller depth.

antiquediamond

Rough_Rock
What does "a little out of round" mean?
A well-cut diamond? Acceptable depth 57-64? Table? 53-64? Do these numbers sound right?
What's the "worst" cut, clarity, color any of you would go to for a round and still have a quality stone?

rbjd

Shiny_Rock
"Out of round", meaning lopsided. It is 6.14x6.25, that's over a millimeter out of round for a less than one carat stone. That would trouble me. That means it probably doesn't have very good symmetry. It sounds far from ideal cut for a round brilliant.

I personally would stick to a table between 54 and 57. I personally would stick to a depth between 59.9 and 61.5. I personally would go for clarity of no less than VS2. Color doesn't matter so much to me.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Table's rather big. The standards for a RB are rather more stringent than the ones for an OEC. You can pass off the quirks of an OEC because it's an antique; with a RB you can only say it's cut poorly.

BTW, did you say that you're giving up the OEC hunt because you're having a hard time finding one with a GIA cert? If that's the issue, I wouldn't worry about it. A GIA or AGS or HRD cert is important with a modern diamond, but it's hardly standard with an OEC. What you need is a vendor whose eye you can trust, an appraiser, and a good evaluation period.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 7/14/2003 5:58:32 PM antiquediamond wrote:

NOTE: I want my diamond to look bigger big, the bigger the better, but well cut. Of these specs, which one(s) do you look at to see that you're getting a bigger looking diamond? My guess is smaller depth/larger table??
----------------

If you want to go bigger go for a near colorless G/H SI stone with a better cut.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Jewelry for Women in their 20s
    Jewelry for Women in their 20s
    Our Favorite Jewels from the 2021 Golden Globes
    Our Favorite Jewels from the 2021 Golden Globes
    Paris Hilton is Engaged
    Paris Hilton is Engaged

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.