shape
carat
color
clarity

Please, tell me: KNOCK IT OFF!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
aw, indecisive...no, I''m on verizon, and apparently with any smartphone (including all the palms), you have to get a data plan
8.gif

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/18/2009 9:38:31 PM
Author: alli_esq
aw, indecisive...no, I''m on verizon, and apparently with any smartphone (including all the palms), you have to get a data plan
8.gif
Actually I was just there last week! Those phones came out before that policy so they can still be activated w/o a data plan but any newer PDAs need a data plan. You just have to be careful not to use the internet because it is pay as you go for that. My friend got the Centro w/o a data plan but I think the buttons are too little on it!

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Alli, unless you truly, truly cannot afford it, it sounds to me like you should get the Blackberry. (It''s taking a lot for me to say this right now since I am so not a Blackberry person
1.gif
!) Sometimes, when there''s something you want that much and that will make you feel more confident in your career, it is worth it to just spring for it. Is there something you could give up to be able to pay for it? Starbucks or lunch out or something similar? I would tell you to knock it off, but something tells me it would keep bugging you ''til you get one. I say evaluate your finances, and if you can afford it, go for it.

I''m sorry to hear about your work situation. It''s so frustrating when you''ve worked this hard for a great career, and it''s not working out the way you had imagined. I am feeling the same way these days--I''m doing what I want to do, but I''m only working part-time because of budget constraints and bureaucratic overextension at the place I was originally offered a job. It''s a long and complicated story, but basically I feel like, "Hey! I''m worth more than this! This isn''t what I signed up for!" Anyway, keep up the good work, be the best lawyer you can be, and hopefully you will be movin'' on up (and away from the semi-abusive boss) soon!

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Alli -

I''m a lawyer too and you''re using your very able legal skills to argue for the Blackberry, but in your heart you know it doesn''t make sense right for you right now. And feel free to tell me I''m totally off-base, but I get the feeling you''re hoping that getting a Blackberry will make your present job seem less - how can I say this politely?- sucky. It won''t. It will just take more of your money and if you were to lose your job over the next 2 years, would add an unnecessary expense and you''ll regret that you decided to spring for it.

Get an inexpensive phone that doesn''t look like a teenager''s and choose the most economical plan out there. If you''re a good and capable lawyer (and it sounds like you are), no one will give a hoot what phone you use.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2009 9:19:33 PM
Author: alli_esq
mz,

I am literally giggling aloud--I am holding a glass of wine browsing PS right now! LOL!!
and, i hope, wearing your new polish and lipstick!

mz

DebShine

Shiny_Rock
In my best Cher/New York voice: "Knock it Off."

You''re a lawyer, living it in NY, WOW, do you realize how cool that is?....here is a big CONGRATS for you... you deserve it.. be proud of it.
Bosses suck sometimes. You won''t be around him forever. A better/different job will come along. You are doing the right thing by staying in the job in the down trodden economy. Be proud of that.
Yes, there are a zillion reasons you can think of for this phone but none of them matter because YOU KNOW IT ISN''T NECESSARY YET or else I''m guessing you wouldn''t have started this thread. You know the right thing, now DO IT and be proud of it!

That help at all???? :)

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
indecisive: OMG--thank you SO much for telling me that! the verizon associates I spoke to (one in-store and one on the phone) BOTH gave me misinformation! I just ordered the palm centro, which doesn't require me to get the data plan after all! plus, it was free (so it's for me
2.gif
) thank you SO much, really
9.gif
I really didn't NEED the data plan, it was just something I WANTED...but I really really REALLY did need a calendar and contact list (and, duh, a working phone!) and this is perfect for that...plus, anything is an upgrade from my absolutely craptastic current phone
10.gif

kittybean: I am sorry to hear about your work situation too
7.gif
I know you and I graduated at the same time, and I'm so sorry to say that so many of us new lawyers seem to be disappointed with the way the market is and the jobs we've found ourselves sorta stuck in...you keep up your good work too, and I know you'll end up being a great, kind, sympathetic lawyer if you are anything like you are on PS
1.gif

rainwood: you have no idea how your post really got to the heart of what I was feeling. thank you so much for your insight--and you are absolutely, 100% right. my job won't be less sucky, no matter what device I use...and what you're saying about losing my job is completely right, and I'm glad I listened to you (and my gut)
21.gif

DebShine: you are also totally on target, and I appreciate your honesty. not sure about how "cool" I am, haha, but I am trying to be smart.

Thank you all again--I knew I could count on PSers to knock some sense into this head 'o mine!
4.gif

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Awww I am so glad you got what you wanted! Plus if situations ever change you can always add a data plan so you get the best of both worlds.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I had a pink centro and it was cute, fun phone. Good choice.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
I''m so happy to hear you got a phone upgrade. I hope you are satisfied with the new phone!

Are you trying to look around for other jobs, or are you planning on staying with this one for the time being? I found out today that I''m going to be a permanent attorney at my work instead of just a contractor, so even though no full-time hours still, I get an office, more hours, a regular schedule, and benefits! I was very pleasantly surprised.

Enjoy the new phone!

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 10:50:17 PM
Author: kittybean

I found out today that I''m going to be a permanent attorney at my work instead of just a contractor, so even though no full-time hours still, I get an office, more hours, a regular schedule, and benefits! I was very pleasantly surprised.

Oh, kittybean, that''s great! congratulations! at least it seems like some stability in this crazy economy--I''m so happy for you
9.gif

Date: 2/19/2009 10:50:17 PM
Author: kittybean
Are you trying to look around for other jobs, or are you planning on staying with this one for the time being?

I have sent my resume around, but this field is very difficult...it''s a very small community and mostly the lawyers who practice in family law work in solo or very small practice, so being a newbie, it''s very hard to find out who is looking for an associate. Plus, I''ve only been on the job since August, and I haven''t been admitted in NY yet (it''s a long process and my application is still pending...as it has been for about 7 weeks at this point), so my worth is probably questionable to hiring firms right now.

I think the issues I have at my job are (aside from my boss just totally not respecting me): (1) he has never had employees before, so he''s really not used to (nor does he care about) the process by which you get the best work out of your staff--and being extraordinarily moody is not that way. He demands things that are often impossible, and when they aren''t accomplished, he blames us (and in particular, me); and (2) he just simply doesn''t understand that I am a new attorney, and there are things that I just won''t understand or know right off the bat. There is a reason he got me for so cheap, after all, but he doesn''t seem to want to acknowledge that.
7.gif

I am trying to make the best of it and learn whatever I can while still staying out of his way as much as possible, since he really can bite a person''s head off without much trouble.

I am learning a lot about the law of attraction lately (which I plan on eventually starting a thread about), so I am not focusing on the things that I cannot change--I just know that there is something better out there for me, and I am simply waiting to find it
2.gif
I am happy that things are looking up for you, kittybean, and I wish you the very best!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results