shape
carat
color
clarity

Please tell me if the diamond is setting too low.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rockbie

Rough_Rock
It looks ok in person but from this picture it doesn''t look right. the diamond looks like it dropped.
I already talked to the person who set the diamond and he said that''s ok and the diamond is secured.
Does it look right to you? if not what would you recommend?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
did you attach a pic? I don''t see anything...

rockbie

Rough_Rock
Oops! I thought I did.Thanks mrssalvo.

newps.JPG

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
is that a pic of the diamond set?
33.gif

the prongs don't look like they are even touching the stone. it looks like a diamond was just placed into a setting as an example.

rockbie

Rough_Rock
Belle, doesn''t it? but it is set. So I don''t know...I am scared I will loose the diamond

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
rockbie, is that a pic of the diamond set? for sure? it doesn''t look like it is set in that pic.
if you have the ring, it''s easy enough to tell if it is set well.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rockbie, do you have a side view pic?

rockbie

Rough_Rock
Belle,
Yes, I do have the ring and the diamond seems stable. It doesn''t move. I looked at all the pictures posted in PS and none looks like mine..
emcry.gif
so I don''t know..

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is your original thread with more pics (link).

Honestly, it just look weird to me--like the prongs aren''t holding the diamond. Especially the lower right-hand one in the picture that you posted in this thread.

You said originally that the stone looks like it "dropped" -- has it moved lower in the setting since you got it? Can you take it to a jeweler and ask them about it?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2006 2:45:39 PM
Author: rockbie
Belle,
Yes, I do have the ring and the diamond seems stable. It doesn''t move. I looked at all the pictures posted in PS and none looks like mine..
emcry.gif
so I don''t know..
i don''t think there are too many pics of diamonds that are just sitting in rings here on ps.
do you have any other pics?

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have any from the side? One from the top isn't enough... at least for me!

*M*

ETA: I looked at the other thread and I agree with Mrs.Salvo. The bottom right prong doesn't even look like it is touching the diamond.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
In that other thread it looks like the stone is being held by only 2 prongs!
23.gif
23.gif

rockbie

Rough_Rock
Dee,
yes I do.

side-ps.JPG

rockbie

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/13/2006 2:47:48 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
Here is your original thread with more pics (link).

Honestly, it just look weird to me--like the prongs aren''t holding the diamond. Especially the lower right-hand one in the picture that you posted in this thread.

You said originally that the stone looks like it ''dropped'' -- has it moved lower in the setting since you got it? Can you take it to a jeweler and ask them about it?
Yes Dee,
I noticed that from looking at the pictures. And I did asked the jeweler and he said It''s ok and the diamond is securely set and he also told me not to worry.
So I don''t know what to do
33.gif

rockbie

Rough_Rock
poptart and :) ,
yes it looks like that from the pictures that''s why I am worry.
8.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t know about it being too low...none of the pictures allow me to really see, but it does look like the prongs aren''t touching the diamond! Do you have a good side picture?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d like to see a profile shot too but from the top shot it doesn''t look like the prongs are holding/touching the diamond at all to me either. I''d definitely want it fixed..

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
1. is the stone insured
2. have you had it appraised since it's been set
3. if no to #1 & #2 ... do both a.s.a.p.!!1

It doesn't look right to me & didn't look right when you first posted your original thread. I didn't say anything because your post was "I'M DELIGHTED" ... didn't want to worry you unnecessarily if indeed it looked fine in person.

I kinda don't trust that local jeweler of yours -- if you're not happy they shouldn't just be saying "no, no - it's fine" ... they should be figuring a way to make you happy.

Get an objective opinion if you haven't already (an appraiser probably).

On a happy note: the stone ROCKS!!!
1.gif

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
The bottom right prong does look a bit off to me. I think, however, that all of the prongs are touching the stone. When I looked at the pics in the other thread, it looks more like it''s an optical illusion. Some type of reflection perhaps? I agree though that if you''re not happy you should have them fix it. On the other hand, I am also not happy with the setting of my ring (one prong of mine was actually not touching the stone when I received it!), but I brought it back once and had them "fix" it and it''s at least secure now (the prongs are unevenly spaced, though
7.gif
). I have a really hard time standing up for myself with something like this, so I get that it''s easier said than done. Especially when they''re telling you everything''s fine.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2006 3:25:23 PM
Author: decodelighted
-- if you''re not happy they shouldn''t just be saying ''no, no - it''s fine'' ... they should be figuring a way to make you happy.

Get an objective opinion if you haven''t already (an appraiser probably).

1.gif
I totally agree with Deco....I find your jeweler''s response to your concerns completely unsatisfactory.

An outside objective opinion from an appraiser is a good idea, too.

widget

rockbie

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/13/2006 3:07:52 PM
Author: FireGoddess
I don''t know about it being too low...none of the pictures allow me to really see, but it does look like the prongs aren''t touching the diamond! Do you have a good side picture?
FireGodless,
I hope this one work.

sideps12.JPG

Londonchris

Rough_Rock
It does look abit odd in the picture but could well be an optical illusion....hard to tell for sure.
Go someplace and ask an independant jewellers opinion.
While i`m here,your pic looking from above is a prime example of what i was on about in an earlier thread about having the facets or arrows line up.
I would have your arrows pointing North,South,East,West and to the prongs.
To me that would look neater.
Nice looking ring though
1.gif

rockbie

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/13/2006 3:25:23 PM
Author: decodelighted
1. is the stone insured
2. have you had it appraised since it''s been set
3. if no to #1 & #2 ... do both a.s.a.p.!!1

It doesn''t look right to me & didn''t look right when you first posted your original thread. I didn''t say anything because your post was ''I''M DELIGHTED'' ... didn''t want to worry you unnecessarily if indeed it looked fine in person.

I kinda don''t trust that local jeweler of yours -- if you''re not happy they shouldn''t just be saying ''no, no - it''s fine'' ... they should be figuring a way to make you happy.

Get an objective opinion if you haven''t already (an appraiser probably).

1.gif
Yes, I have it appraised after it''s been set . The appraiser didn''t say anything about it. And I didn''t notice anything wrong until I took the pictures and posted.

Londonchris

Rough_Rock
I just missed that last pic.
Does look abit odd,looks like they used a ball bur rather than a "diamond" shaped burr to cut a seat in the prong.
Not quite how it should be but it may be tight.
Id take it for a second opinion,hard to be 100% looking at a pic.

rockbie

Rough_Rock
Thanks LondonChris for your kind comment.
emlove.gif

I appreciate you all for your inputs.
emlove.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with what Londonchris said, and now the other pictures make sense after seeing this one. It looks like they didn''t cut small precise grooves in the prongs for the girdle of the diamond to fit into. I wonder if it''s only really *pressure* holding the stone in the setting right now? (Yikes! if that''s the case.)

rockbie

Rough_Rock
Ok, I am back!
Yesterday I was so worried so took the ring to the Gemologist that I had my ring appraised and a couple other jewelers to have them check my ring out. They all told me it''s fine. So I think it just the optical illusion that my 6.0 mega pixels camara created.
Now I have to get insurance for it. I called one place yesterday they told me $1.45 per $100. And my ring appraised at 34K with tax, so it works out to be $493 a year to insured
39.gif
.Almost as much as I pay for my house insurance.
39.gif

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/14/2006 11:26:02 AM
Ok, I am back!
Yesterday I was so worried so took the ring to the Gemologist that I had my ring appraised and a couple other jewelers to have them check my ring out. They all told me it''s fine. So I think it just the optical illusion that my 6.0 mega pixels camara created.
Now I have to get insurance for it. I called one place yesterday they told me $1.45 per $100. And my ring appraised at 34K with tax, so it works out to be $493 a year to insured
39.gif
39.gif
I''d check around and get some other insurance quotes! Mine ended up costing around $0.70 per $100 through USAA. I believe Jewelers mutual is less costly than what you were quoted!

rockbie

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/14/2006 12:04:18 PM
Author: ImpatientOne

Ok, I am back!
39.gif
39.gif
I''d check around and get some other insurance quotes! Mine ended up costing around $0.70 per $100 through USAA. I believe Jewelers mutual is less costly than what you were quoted!
ImpatientOne,
I hope I can get it at that rates. I am in Canada and everything cost more here.
40.gif

.70 per 100 is very good deal! my gf from DC she insured hers with Costco and she told me it''s .89 per $100 I thought her was good and yours even better!!! You did very well there.
36.gif

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, I am back!
39.gif
39.gif
Honestly, I wouldn''t pay for that much value to be insured. That sounds like an overly inflated appraisal value, way more than it would cost to replace your ring. You''d be paying way too much money annually to insure at that value. If it were me, I would only insure at replacement value so that I could save some $ on insurance. BTW, it is an absolutely beautiful stone!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results