shape
carat
color
clarity

Please suggest setting ideas for antique diamond

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My 1.66 ct L SI-1 Old Mine cut finally arrived. It is a chunky ring pop of a diamond with a sky high crown and an extremely thin girdle. The diamond measures 7.44 by 7.14mm and appears to have more of a brown tint to my eyes than the yellow that appeared in the video which was posted in a previous thread. I would really appreciate some setting ideas .

fullsizeoutput_1e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1f.jpeg

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1d.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1d.jpeg
    57.3 KB · Views: 56

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Without knowing your tastes and preferences, it’s a bit hard. That stone looks like it would be pretty in just about any setting.. a thin rose gold bezel could play up the brown undertone, an icy white halo, tab prongs.
What settings do you like and is there anything in particular you’d like to show off about the stone eg its shape, colour, size etc?

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Without knowing your tastes and preferences, it’s a bit hard. That stone looks like it would be pretty in just about any setting.. a thin rose gold bezel could play up the brown undertone, an icy white halo, tab prongs.
What settings do you like and is there anything in particular you’d like to show off about the stone eg its shape, colour, size etc?

I love Art Deco and Georgian pieces but wondered if this might be a little modern for them. I also like target rings and onyx inlay rings. As for metals, I wear white and rose gold. Do you think the shape is a little wonky for a bezel? It is not exactly symmetrical.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love Art Deco and Georgian pieces but wondered if this might be a little modern for them. I also like target rings and onyx inlay rings. As for metals, I wear white and rose gold. Do you think the shape is a little wonky for a bezel? It is not exactly symmetrical.
It looks like an OMC to me so would look great in either of those styles of settings given when OMCs were cut. A good jeweller will be able to make it look symmetrical in a bezel.
If you like onyx and target halos, CVB has a very beautiful onyx target ring setting that could be exactly what you're looking for.
Whatever you do choose, protecting the thin girdle would be a good idea.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, a blackened silver Georgian collet with a warm almost-coppery rose gold underneath it would look incredible! It's an acquired taste, I know. But mine cuts look so soulful mounted that way.

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
I’m a big fan of a bezel for an old, thing girdled stone.

A good bench artisan can build the depth of the bezel to smooth out a wonky girdle.

My new to me OMC in a full bezel - 2A46FA3F-F3EB-496C-8D68-5BC4B14E20F7.jpeg

And my 2.75 transitional pear with a super extra fine girdle - 52AF8736-AFFC-4217-AD3F-E6D632211110.jpeg

While these stone’s girdles are rine, I still bezel set the center stone for a vaguely Art Deco, geometric vibe - E1FF59B1-B7A3-4988-9904-E29B4E117C9F.jpeg

Last edited:
Q

Queenie60

I would suggest you reach out to Caysie Van Bebber @ cvbinspireddesigns. She's on Etsy and has a great eye, great style and can make this beautiful stone sing!!! Good luck.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perfect excuse to BEZEL!!!

Doesn't need to be completely symmetrical to bezel. And if it does bother you, ask the jeweler to use the bezel to make it seem more symmetrical. Done.

You won't notice.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a Georgian style setting would complement your diamond beautifully. Pieces from that period often have asymmetrical cutting.

You could do a Google image search for "antique Georgian rings" to get ideas.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some ideas:

Sin City Finds
1579223146645.jpeg

Platt Boutique
28A97B8B-4D4A-46FE-9309-70AE1369FE0F.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results