shape
carat
color
clarity

Please show me your backsplash...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And console together thanks to Greg. Moving the stereo equipment and tv stuff/tivo to it will be a project in itself and not doing that now. But here it is freshly put together.

Tommy ever so helpful as Greg's assistant. Inspecting all the pieces making sure everything is there and nothing is damaged. What a good boy he is.:halo:
gregtommyandconsole.jpg

and voilà
console.jpg

Not where we are placing it of course but just where he put it together.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
4F25B235-7EB0-4F14-9654-13ECB7678870.jpeg

Attachments

• FD847FD2-AA4B-4A3C-9616-C3E3111635CE.jpeg
    FD847FD2-AA4B-4A3C-9616-C3E3111635CE.jpeg
    175.2 KB · Views: 11

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, some fabulous remodels going on. I wanted to post some kitchen backsplash ideas. My home is a wood bungalow, and i have a lot of earthy and green tones in house. However, i also don't mind a clean cheerful look for kitchen. First is "riverbank" mix of porcelin and slate. 2nd is larger white subway tile with wavy or faux Bois texture. Third are white tiles in Chevron design. I am looking in the $ 3-11 square feet price level. IMG_20180604_072328565.jpg IMG_20180604_072415478.jpg IMG_20180604_072444992.jpg

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please excuse the mess!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, what do u think of idea of the river bank, paired with 2x4" white subway tile? Like the dark color on bottom first 3" and white above it?

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi partgypsy,

I wish I was better with color, but I'll say I think I prefer the subway tile, for its lightness and less busy-ness, if that makes sense. I find that Houzz is pretty good with people making helpful suggestions.

Did you just have the counters installed? Are you happy with the seam? I am no expert, but it seems like it could have been cleaner?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @partgypsy my taste runs to the very simple so I find those choices less than optimal for me. Too busy a pattern and too much going on with the countertop that sort of clashes with the backsplash choices in my opinion.

I think of those choices subway tile would be my preference but without the waviness and texture. To pick up the white in your counter tops. Subway tile is a classic. We did a version of subway tile backsplash in our kitchen but in grey and white marble. I really love it.

So my vote (not that you should give it any weight whatsoever) is for a simple understated subway tile backsplash that goes with many different styles. And of all your above choices the second one is the one I would choose if it had to be one of those three.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm with missy on this. Combined with your countertops, I find the tile choices to be a bit chaotic. I like the chevron, but combining very linear tile with your countertops just doesn't seem to work for me. You could combine simple subway with the porcelain and slate, but I would start with a course or two of subway, then the 3 or 4 inches of color with the balance subway. The problem there is the repeat, and waste. You may need to select a more uniform slate with a repeat within each sheet.

Have you looked at white waterfall tile? Simple with alittle movement.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
9E2E6E49-14EE-4AA0-B6A6-5B0870B81341.jpeg
Love the stone but very unhappy with the installers. My kitchen is on the second floor and they threw the old counter off of the balcony. Took a gouge out of the driveway and scraped their van. DH contacted the sales person, but doubt much will come of it. 3 other people at work have used this company and they are supposed to be the best in the area so we didn’t expect that. Ugh.

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Love the stone but very unhappy with the installers. My kitchen is on the second floor and they threw the old counter off of the balcony. Took a gouge out of the driveway and scraped their van. DH contacted the sales person, but doubt much will come of it.

Oh, dear! Is the driveway bad? I hope that they do something for you. I had a couch delivery once and they put a scrape in my front door bringing it in. When I called to complain they gave me a credit to compensate for the damage.

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Wow, some fabulous remodels going on. I wanted to post some kitchen backsplash ideas. My home is a wood bungalow, and i have a lot of earthy and green tones in house. However, i also don't mind a clean cheerful look for kitchen. First is "riverbank" mix of porcelin and slate. 2nd is larger white subway tile with wavy or faux Bois texture. Third are white tiles in Chevron design. I am looking in the $ 3-11 square feet price level.

I'm most drawn to the textured subway tile for a light and bright option, esp with your light wood cabinets and your countertop. I like the subway tile's simplicity (with a bit of texture for interest). I'm terrible at knowing how to mix patterns, so I can't offer any suggestions about doing accent bands or anything like that!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that's crazy, Chemgirl, what were they thinking? On the other hand, your new counter does indeed look very nice!

I've been mostly avoiding our project. I went to two stone places, ignored at the first one, not feeling like I knew what to choose at the second one. So, I finally reached out to a designer. He won't handle the whole project, but will give us design guidance, will shop with us, and will take us through this as an orderly process. Here's are my current inspiration kitchen. Tile will likely be colored glass, however:

https://www.houzz.com/photo/4509093-traditional-kitchen-traditional-kitchen-chicago

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@partgypsy I'm with the others, I like the subway tile too, the first one is too dark imho. the 3rd too busy, now I agree with @missy about the plain tile, but it's your kitchen and if you like the Bois texture then you should go for it, I missed if the granite is new or are you replacing it? the granite there is beautiful so something very simple on the wall will complement the granite you have there now, I like chevron but to me it has to be used in a very large kitchen, I considered it for a while in my redo this past March but my decorator pointed out that it would overpower my granite.. REMEMBER it's your kitchen and I am basing my opinions on my crazy assed taste (this is why I hired a decorator :) ) have you thought about white glass tile? I'm on a glass kick. :)

peace.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@chemgirl gorgeous stone! WTF on the laziness of the installers..

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Loves Vintage I hear you! glad you found someone you feel comfortable with.. I love glass tile. PIx!!!Pix!!!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, I'm not super happy with the two very obvious seams. But it was a friend who installed it, rather than having the professional installation (1.9K versus say 550 all in). In this case I got what I paid for so I can't complain. I might be able to improve by tinting the caulk or replacing with a better matching caulk. Which makes me feel less precious about any of the choices I make, as while anything will be better than what was there before, there are a whole number of little things that would bug a normal person so it is better to just focus on usability than looks ... The stone/slate combo unfortunately is no longer an option. I ordered a number of different options from Home Depot, all but 1 arrive by next week, and there I will make my final decision. Some of the top contenders are these:

off-white/ivory mini subway
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Daltile...m-Ceramic-Mosaic-Tile-BT0121BWHD1P2/203213497
white 2" x 4" mini subway
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Jeffrey-Court-Classic-Brick-11-5-8-in-x-11-5-8-in-x-6-mm-Porcelain-Mosaic-Tile-96024/207089041?keyword=jeffrey+court+classic+brick+mosaic&semanticToken=21050+++>++++st:{jeffrey+court+classic+brick+mosaic}:st++cn:{0:0}++jeffrey+court+{brand}+classic+brick+mosaic+{rest}+

Or if I must have color, something more I like these
green rustic subway tile
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Splashb...ll-Subway-Tile-CATALINA3X6GREENLAKE/206496900
"vanilla subway tile"
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Splashb...Wall-Subway-Tile-CATALINA3X6VANILLA/206496899
They also have a gray color I like.
I do like color so it will be hard for me to do all white backsplash. Especially as I got rid of my white sink and appliances. Off white is OK.

Last edited:

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
partgypsy - Totally gotcha on the seams now. I'm sorry I even mentioned it. I have spent some time reading on Houzz and they talk about the seams so much that the few times I've gone shopping, it's one of the first things I ask about. Of course, it is a small concern, and I totally agree, if a friend did the install for a deal, I wouldn't even think about it.

tekate - I will say that I like that glassy looking subway tile that looks like it belongs in a beach home. I, however, do not live at the beach! It is things like that that make me crazy, well, that and Houzz. So we are not going shopping until next weds, so I don't have much to share by way of photos, but he designed this kitchen. Of course, mine will not look like this. I have a peninsula that I don't want to change. I have old cabinets that we are having painted. These are the original cabinets, late 60's solid oak, that we are really committed to keeping -- I see it in part as being green and also just like the quality and the usefulness they've provided for 50 years already! Also, these counters are quartz (man made) - I think they look great and may better suit our lifestyle. But, we are going to a stone place together and I am thrilled about that.

Quick question for you on designers -- did you use all of their suggested vendors? glass tile kitchen.jpg

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
partgypsy - Totally gotcha on the seams now. I'm sorry I even mentioned it. I have spent some time reading on Houzz and they talk about the seams so much that the few times I've gone shopping, it's one of the first things I ask about. Of course, it is a small concern, and I totally agree, if a friend did the install for a deal, I wouldn't even think about it.

tekate - I will say that I like that glassy looking subway tile that looks like it belongs in a beach home. I, however, do not live at the beach! It is things like that that make me crazy, well, that and Houzz. So we are not going shopping until next weds, so I don't have much to share by way of photos, but he designed this kitchen. Of course, mine will not look like this. I have a peninsula that I don't want to change. I have old cabinets that we are having painted. These are the original cabinets, late 60's solid oak, that we are really committed to keeping -- I see it in part as being green and also just like the quality and the usefulness they've provided for 50 years already! Also, these counters are quartz (man made) - I think they look great and may better suit our lifestyle. But, we are going to a stone place together and I am thrilled about that.

Quick question for you on designers -- did you use all of their suggested vendors? glass tile kitchen.jpg

A thought...you can update your old cabinets with a lot of the accessories currently used is upscale cabinetry. By that I mean cutlery drawers, in drawer knife blocks, pull outs etc. It's a home run. We found a company that makes the accessories to retro fit into old good quality cabinets.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, thanks for the tip. Hmmm, we do have two drawers that pull out (under the cooktop) where you open the cabinets and then the two drawers pull out . . . I wonder if we could turn those into two drawers that just pull out without having to open the cabinet to access them? A drawer knife block is suddenly sounding like a must-have too! I'll look into it. We are also replacing knobs/handles, the sink, double ovens (may do oven/microwave) but I do have times when I am baking in both ovens, so I guess that's a question of whether I want a microwave on the counter and the ability to bake a lot at once 4 or 5 times a year vs. micro off the counter. Probably micro off the counter!

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
A97A27BC-9C61-4867-B1E7-B45766073EEA.jpeg
All done. The installers wanted to fill gaps with clear caulk but I wasn’t really happy with that so I dragged a designer from work to the hardware store and we picked something that’s a bit closer of a match to the existing grout. I’m hoping it dries darker, but I don’t hate it as is. Plus it was $16, no idea how much a contractor would have charged us. Lots of caulk jokes at work. I’m a caulk queen, a professional when it comes to caulk lol.

The stones company was amazing re: the driveway and they are going to pay for it to be resurfaced. A bit of a hassle, but I can work from home that day and we’re downtown so we can find alternative parking.

Relieved!

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Partgypsy: will definitely help to see them with the counter, but I think the smaller ivory tiles could be a good match.

If you want colour, would a richer emerald green, glass subway tile appeal to you? It’s very different, but might work better with the counter than something very white.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kate - Did you ever post your final photos in here? I went back and saw the pretty blue subway tile and quart counters, but didn't see final photos?

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Our demo started this morning... eek! They'll be setting everything aside in the garage (cabinets, counter, sink, appliances) to be directly donated to another family, arranged by a coworker.

Did I mention that our close date for our current house is approaching so we're planning to move into the house next weekend, right in the midst of it all? Trying to stay calm and cool, it'll all be fine :pray: A little roughing it never hurt anyone, right?

Husband made a kitchenette for us in the living room (table, microwave, paper plates, etc.) and the new fridge will be delivered Wednesday and live in the living room there until it's time to be put in the kitchen. That, plus the grill outside (and takeout, and dining out!) should cover our eating needs while the work is done over the next months. :loopy:

Any updates from other folks in here? :)

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All done. The installers wanted to fill gaps with clear caulk but I wasn’t really happy with that so I dragged a designer from work to the hardware store and we picked something that’s a bit closer of a match to the existing grout. I’m hoping it dries darker, but I don’t hate it as is. Plus it was $16, no idea how much a contractor would have charged us. Lots of caulk jokes at work. I’m a caulk queen, a professional when it comes to caulk lol.

The stones company was amazing re: the driveway and they are going to pay for it to be resurfaced. A bit of a hassle, but I can work from home that day and we’re downtown so we can find alternative parking.

Relieved!

Chemgirl, your new countertops look amazing!!!! :love: I love the stone you picked out. I'm sure the grout looks good, that's one of those little details that pops out at us but nobody else even notices lol!

And I'm so glad the company is going to cover the cost of the damage, fantastic :appl: Enjoy your beautiful new countertops!

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Relieved!
I love how this turned out!!! And it’s great to hear that the stone company is stepping up. That’s always the sign of a good vendor =)2

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our demo started this morning... eek! They'll be setting everything aside in the garage (cabinets, counter, sink, appliances) to be directly donated to another family, arranged by a coworker.

Did I mention that our close date for our current house is approaching so we're planning to move into the house next weekend, right in the midst of it all? Trying to stay calm and cool, it'll all be fine :pray: A little roughing it never hurt anyone, right?

Husband made a kitchenette for us in the living room (table, microwave, paper plates, etc.) and the new fridge will be delivered Wednesday and live in the living room there until it's time to be put in the kitchen. That, plus the grill outside (and takeout, and dining out!) should cover our eating needs while the work is done over the next months. :loopy:

Yay! How exciting!! Well, at least the start of the reno part (and not the part about living with a make-shift kitchen :lol: ).

We’ve put all house discussions on hold until we return from our trip (one more week) but just before we left the got back to us with their offer on the tub we had requested and it was $3000 more instead of the $300 it should have been. Their explanation was a bunch of nonsense so we’ll take the other tub which is only missing one feature I had wanted (whisper quiet motor). I’m sure there will be more to deal with once we come back but that’s it for now!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Good luck @elizabethess! Exciting and it's going to be all worth it in the end.:appl:

My only update is I love all our choices in the kitchen and it is wonderful to have a huge island to spread out on and cook and prepare etc. and the new living room furniture is making me so happy too. Just how I envisioned it and I chose it all by myself so very satisfied that I was able to pull it off and that my dh loves it too.

Yay! How exciting!! Well, at least the start of the reno part (and not the part about living with a make-shift kitchen :lol: ).

We’ve put all house discussions on hold until we return from our trip (one more week) but just before we left the got back to us with their offer on the tub we had requested and it was $3000 more instead of the $300 it should have been. Their explanation was a bunch of nonsense so we’ll take the other tub which is only missing one feature I had wanted (whisper quiet motor). I’m sure there will be more to deal with once we come back but that’s it for now!

Good luck @ILikeShiny and hope you enjoy a wonderful vacation.:appl:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Loves Vintage here are some b4's! Now Lisa the decorator originally tried to bring the HOT colors down in the family area (my house is a ranch with 2400 upstairs square feet downstairs another 600 sq feet).. But I STILL felt it was too damn brown, orange and dark so we livened it with the second redo. :)

https://www.houzz.com/projects/1480504/austin-to-maine-home

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

You are taking all this so much better than I would.....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results