shape
carat
color
clarity

Please show me your backsplash...

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, small update. They (builder) wrote back some fluff and spin on why they wanted so much for the refrigerator. We told them to shove it, and we'll either use it for the time being or try to sell it after settling.

For the granite (which @missy, by the way, was NOT the cost of the entire granite but just the cost of upgrading from Level 1 to Level 4... I forgot to mention that our home started with a Level 1 cost built in), I got them to give us free bullnose edging on the rest of the granite/quartz in the home (9 countertops) so I approved that one. To get exactly the granite we want with an edge that I love, I think it's reasonable for a $2500 upgrade.

One misstep on their end though... we paid for an upgrade to level 7 cabinets in the kitchen at the time of purchase as part of a big "Epicurean 2" upgrade but at the design gallery we ended up choosing level 9 (Decora full wood with raised paneling) cabinets. It was submitted for pricing but they mistakingly said it was already covered, so that probably saved us a few thousand dollars :dance: I know they might try to come back at some point and change it but it was signed off by THREE of their people, and is a legally binding contract, so...... Score one for the good guys! :mrgreen2:

We also got back a couple more NSO's today, both of which had reasonable mark-ups so I approved them. One was for the sinks and faucets I wanted in the laundry rooms and the other was to upgrade all of the hardware inside/outside the home oil rubbed bronze instead of brushed silver.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For the granite (which @missy, by the way, was NOT the cost of the entire granite but just the cost of upgrading from Level 1 to Level 4... I forgot to mention that our home started with a Level 1 cost built in), I got them to give us free bullnose edging on the rest of the granite/quartz in the home (9 countertops) so I approved that one. To get exactly the granite we want with an edge that I love, I think it's reasonable for a $2500 upgrade.

Aww that's too bad but I did think WOW that is super inexpensive haha. At least that upgrade cost for the edge is quite reasonable so woohoo for that!

One misstep on their end though... we paid for an upgrade to level 7 cabinets in the kitchen at the time of purchase as part of a big "Epicurean 2" upgrade but at the design gallery we ended up choosing level 9 (Decora full wood with raised paneling) cabinets. It was submitted for pricing but they mistakingly said it was already covered, so that probably saved us a few thousand dollars :dance: I know they might try to come back at some point and change it but it was signed off by THREE of their people, and is a legally binding contract, so...... Score one for the good guys! :mrgreen2:

YESSSS!!!!
1236057qd9orpxyzi.gif
woohoo001.gif
Score one of the good guys indeed.:appl:

It's all coming along so well. Cannot wait to hear (and see) more updates.

984406ju1tuish9n.gif

@elizabethess any more updates? How's it all going? Hoping everything is proceeding smoothly for you guys too.:appl:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to add that last night was the first time we used the kitchen in any meaningful way as we are here for the next 5 days or so and we cooked here last night. WOW. Better than I could have imagined.:kiss2: At first I felt oh that island is HUGE and too big but no, it is PERFECT. So functional and all the storage space in the new kitchen is ridiculously amazing. And the kitchen is so bright and beautiful and clean. I LOVE it. Beyond my wildest dreams. 100% worth the aggravation and cost of the whole affair and just wanted to say hang in there all you renovators.

Hoping y'all end up with the home/kitchen of your wildest dreams too. So no matter what stress you are undergoing atm due to the renovation process keep the faith it will all work out just as well.:appl:

Sending happy renovation dust to all of you.
fairy%20dust.gif
1899448obhhwxi0xs.gif
1899449huiscpgoci.gif
sending_flowers.gif

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to add that last night was the first time we used the kitchen in any meaningful way as we are here for the next 5 days or so and we cooked here last night. WOW. Better than I could have imagined.:kiss2: At first I felt oh that island is HUGE and too big but no, it is PERFECT. So functional and all the storage space in the new kitchen is ridiculously amazing. And the kitchen is so bright and beautiful and clean. I LOVE it. Beyond my wildest dreams. 100% worth the aggravation and cost of the whole affair and just wanted to say hang in there all you renovators.

So fantastic! Very happy for you! That is the best feeling, and is everything to hope for :appl:

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
First design team meeting today, in the kitchen. They encouraged us to tell them all of our wishlist ideas (and what we were fine to compromise on) and they're going to run with them... we'll see what makes the cut for the final design :) A bit of a bummer when we discovered the soffit above the cabinets was NOT simply cosmetic and did indeed contain some pipes from upstairs bathroom. Silver lining: if we're going to be delving into moving plumbing anyway, we're not so tied to current sink placement, which led to a new layout idea that I love! I'll see if I can sketch it out to show you all :)

Next meeting in the showroom on Tuesday to talk about style, finishes, etc.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hoping y'all end up with the home/kitchen of your wildest dreams too. So no matter what stress you are undergoing atm due to the renovation process keep the faith it will all work out just as well.:appl:

Sending happy renovation dust to all of you.
fairy%20dust.gif
1899448obhhwxi0xs.gif
1899449huiscpgoci.gif
sending_flowers.gif

I'm so happy for you @missy and can 100000% percent relate!!!! The process was extremely painful, but man oh man does it give me SOOOO much joy to cook in now!!!! :dance:

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That's awesome Missy!!! Nothing like feeling as though all of ones hard work and patience has paid off. I hope you and Greg opened a nice glass of wine to toast the new kitchen!

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First design team meeting today, in the kitchen. They encouraged us to tell them all of our wishlist ideas (and what we were fine to compromise on) and they're going to run with them... we'll see what makes the cut for the final design :) A bit of a bummer when we discovered the soffit above the cabinets was NOT simply cosmetic and did indeed contain some pipes from upstairs bathroom. Silver lining: if we're going to be delving into moving plumbing anyway, we're not so tied to current sink placement, which led to a new layout idea that I love! I'll see if I can sketch it out to show you all :)

Next meeting in the showroom on Tuesday to talk about style, finishes, etc.
It sounds like you selected a great team. It's always a positive sign when they want to know your dreams because they of course want to make them come true as much as possible.

Looking forward to seeing the sketch!

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Forgive my scribbles! Not accurate but you can get the gist of placement.

One of the problems of the kitchen is that it the work space is reduced by half by the 'eat-in' section, which has a big window that comes down below counter level, preventing any cabinets being installed there. While we *love* being able to see outside (it looks over a deck and the back yard) and the light it brings, we also desperately need more storage.

Current:
before.jpg

I suggested we could shrink the window (height and width) and run cabinets the entire length of the wall. We'd take out the pony wall and instead have cabinets go into a peninsula which could have overhang and stools for seating on the other side). The fridge would move to where the stove currently is, and the stove would relocate where the now-smaller window is.

1st thought.jpg

Once we learned there was some plumbing in the soffit (it's coming out to allow for ceiling-height cabinets) and we'd have to mess with redirecting pipes anyway, the team suggested closing up the sink window (it's just a small crank-out), putting the stove and hood *there* (farther away from living room area = better!), shortening the picture window area (but keep the width) and then moving the sink under it. I like this idea much better.

after.jpg

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium

One of the problems of the kitchen is that it the work space is reduced by half by the 'eat-in' section, which has a big window that comes down below counter level, preventing any cabinets being installed there. While we *love* being able to see outside (it looks over a deck and the back yard) and the light it brings, we also desperately need more storage.

Current:
before.jpg

I suggested we could shrink the window (height and width) and run cabinets the entire length of the wall. We'd take out the pony wall and instead have cabinets go into a peninsula which could have overhang and stools for seating on the other side). The fridge would move to where the stove currently is, and the stove would relocate where the now-smaller window is.

1st thought.jpg

Once we learned there was some plumbing in the soffit (it's coming out to allow for ceiling-height cabinets) and we'd have to mess with redirecting pipes anyway, the team suggested closing up the sink window (it's just a small crank-out), putting the stove and hood *there* (farther away from living room area = better!), shortening the picture window area (but keep the width) and then moving the sink under it. I like this idea much better.

after.jpg
I'm a fan! That's a very functional layout and still gives you plenty of natural light.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium

after.jpg

Yes!!! I wasn't sure if shortening the window would be a possibility like I mentioned in one of my other posts in order to add the peninsula so I totally had something similar envisioned for you!! Their suggestion for the stove makes total sense though and I think this layout will be a much better space! :appl:

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On another note, I'm having major stool issues and NOT in the way you may first think about :lol: I just don't know which direction to go in for these darn chairs. I love RH's Madeleine armless stools in brown oak with the pad (not the cane) but can't stomach the price right now. I've been calling the outlets to see if they get any in but no luck yet. I feel like I've scoured the entire internet to find something that's just right but I'm having a tough time. DH keeps asking if I've ordered them and I keep saying not yet...he asks what the problem is and I get all flustered trying to explain that I don't 100% know what I want or what is functional/durable. I do like all-fabric chairs but don't think those are practical for the stools since we'll be using those all the time. I bought tufted dining room chairs that I love so I'm ok with not having that for the stools. I don't want anything too light in color, I like grey but haven't found any in grey that I love, I'm okay with brown wood but don't want anything too light bc it just won't go, they have to have a back for comfort, most things that I really like are non-swivel bc I find most swivels too clunky (although I just found 1 that I like and ordered to see how it looks in person) but I wonder if I'll find non-swivels annoying and inconvenient over time??? I don't know...smh...these decisions are just so tough and sometimes I just want to buy like 8 different chairs to see them in person but DH says that's nuts and unnecessary ;(

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On another note, I'm having major stool issues and NOT in the way you may first think about :lol: I just don't know which direction to go in for these darn chairs. I love RH's Madeleine armless stools in brown oak with the pad (not the cane) but can't stomach the price right now. I've been calling the outlets to see if they get any in but no luck yet. I feel like I've scoured the entire internet to find something that's just right but I'm having a tough time. DH keeps asking if I've ordered them and I keep saying not yet...he asks what the problem is and I get all flustered trying to explain that I don't 100% know what I want or what is functional/durable. I do like all-fabric chairs but don't think those are practical for the stools since we'll be using those all the time. I bought tufted dining room chairs that I love so I'm ok with not having that for the stools. I don't want anything too light in color, I like grey but haven't found any in grey that I love, I'm okay with brown wood but don't want anything too light bc it just won't go, they have to have a back for comfort, most things that I really like are non-swivel bc I find most swivels too clunky (although I just found 1 that I like and ordered to see how it looks in person) but I wonder if I'll find non-swivels annoying and inconvenient over time??? I don't know...smh...these decisions are just so tough and sometimes I just want to buy like 8 different chairs to see them in person but DH says that's nuts and unnecessary ;(
Okay, I MAY have something that works for you. I took a look at the chair you liked and thought, "Huh! That looks exactly like the chair we're using for our wedding!" Which of course means that A) I love your style, and B) I had a brilliant idea!

Check catering supply websites. Here's one I found that has a lot of options for bar-height stools and better prices than RH: https://www.webstaurantstore.com/42...e-material:wood&filter=seat-height:bar-height

It's been filtered to "bar height" and "wood".

I'm sure there are others too that may work. Good luck!

ETA: After doing some more searching, I see there really isn't that much difference in RH's (member) prices and the prices of the vendors I've seen so you may want to just get what you love? I see they're on sale/clearance now too - https://www.restorationhardware.com...p?productId=prod1617096&categoryId=cat1661030

Last edited:

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I MAY have something that works for you. I took a look at the chair you liked and thought, "Huh! That looks exactly like the chair we're using for our wedding!" Which of course means that A) I love your style, and B) I had a brilliant idea!

Check catering supply websites. Here's one I found that has a lot of options for bar-height stools and better prices than RH: https://www.webstaurantstore.com/42...e-material:wood&filter=seat-height:bar-height

ETA: After doing some more searching, I see there really isn't that much difference in RH's (member) prices and the prices of the vendors I've seen so you may want to just get what you love? I see they're on sale/clearance now too - https://www.restorationhardware.com...p?productId=prod1617096&categoryId=cat1661030

Thanks for the link!! I'll check them out!! I wish the ones I want were on sale but they're not....I need counter height (not bar height) and I wanted the armless version with a padded seat in the brown oak (not the cane/wicker like seat): https://www.restorationhardware.com...t.jsp?productId=prod6470248&categoryId=search

I'm also not an RH member plus they charge $199 shipping and tax so it adds up quick! :oops: Appreciate the help :)

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Started picking things in the showroom yesterday and my brain is melllllting!!!! Ack! I was fairly certain of most selections, but to bring it back to the original topic... I'm stuck on the backsplash! Nothing jumped out at me. I struggle with colors that are not white, grey or otherwise very light/muted. I struggle with anything that has too much contrast (like strong veins, or multicolor tiles that include a wide light to dark spectrum) because it feels too visually active (for me and my weirdo eyes). But, when she (patient design person) picked out white and grey marble-type tiles then I worried they didn't quite go with the white and grey counters. In short, I'm probably a nightmare client! Really struggling.

Note: my inability/fear of mixing and matching is also why I rarely wear more than one non-neutral color at a time, and definitely never more than ONE accessory. No layering, no scarves over things, nor multiple jewelry items. :doh:

They're ordering some more samples that I was sort of into, but I'm unsure. This is where I get tempted to just paint the wall and call it a day. But, my designer is gently stretching me to pick something with a little visual interest or texture because everything else is so minimal/plain.

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Also: I'm 87% convinced that I want to do a tuxedo kitchen (with wood on bottom and white on top). Which could be cuckoo, but my gut says will lighten up things without putting white cabinets in reach of my sticky-fingered 4yo).

Some white/wood tuxedo inspo pics:
tux.jpg
tuxedo inspo.jpg

81583fdd75033fc06e6d022ec0c1560b.jpg

Attachments

• tuxedo inspo.jpg
    tuxedo inspo.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 10

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I just want to buy like 8 different chairs to see them in person but DH says that's nuts and unnecessary ;(

I have felt these feelings! I usually give in and order a bunch :D Not suggesting that it's not nuts and unnecessary, it probably is! Oh, well?

Looking forward to hearing what you go with!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@elizabethess I love the look of the tuxedo! I have never heard of it. If you can a bit of zing in the backsplash is a good thing, BUT remember you have to live there not the designer :) love your choices.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the tuxedo look is pretty. Not for me as I prefer a more matchy cabinet look but I think it is a lovely look in general and if you love it @elizabethess go for it. The reasons behind it is quite sound and this way your LO cannot do much damage with sticky fingers haha. And @Tekate is so right. Make the choices you love because when all is said and done the designer goes home and you live with the choices.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I can totally relate to this and I would just order all your choices to make sure. But I am crazy like that. Hahaha. Probably your dh and my dh could get together and have lots to chat about re their nutty wives.:lol: But that makes us all that more lovable no? ;-)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes get what you love and a little bit of cost difference isn't worth not getting what you really want if you know what that is. Cannot wait to see what you decide!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@elizabethess, I really like the tuxedo look a lot! The white brightens things up and the wood adds coziness and warmth, very pretty. And yes, a great way to hide those fingerprints lol.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can totally relate to this and I would just order all your choices to make sure. But I am crazy like that. Hahaha. Probably your dh and my dh could get together and have lots to chat about re their nutty wives.:lol: But that makes us all that more lovable no? ;-)

Easing him into it by ordering 3 at a time...before you know it we'll have 9 in the house and he'll realize he was bamboozled :lol:

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Easing him into it by ordering 3 at a time...before you know it we'll have 9 in the house and he'll realize he was bamboozled :lol:
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Love it.

Now, how to do that with diamond rings..... :roll2:

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also: I'm 87% convinced that I want to do a tuxedo kitchen (with wood on bottom and white on top). Which could be cuckoo, but my gut says will lighten up things without putting white cabinets in reach of my sticky-fingered 4yo).

Some white/wood tuxedo inspo pics:
tux.jpg
tuxedo inspo.jpg

81583fdd75033fc06e6d022ec0c1560b.jpg
Okay, I can kind of see where you're going with this. I'd never head of "tuxeoding", but I can definitely see your rationale. One thing I'd probably suggest is making it a very distinct difference between the white and wood. In other words, I'd go pretty dark with the wood. And then do a light countertop with a backsplash or other decorative accents that pulls in the colors of the two cabinets. Make sense?

Here are a few examples I just found with a quick google search.

Picture16.jpg

white-kitchen-cabinets-gray-and-white-kitchen-white-kitchen.jpg

upper-cabinets-black-bottom-kitchen-cabinets-black-oven-on-black-wooden-floor.jpg

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Love the tuxedo idea, though it may become dated. With kids in the house, wood lowers will be more forgiving than painted lowers. I'm more concerned about the unavoidable damage an active family will subject the lowers to. Natural wood finishes are more forgiving than any painted finish. We went with a cherry island for that reason. It was an excellent choice. I think your inspiration photo will accomplish your goal and be more forgiving.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two updates - we got our official street address today (:dance:) and we purchased our flooring. I think I mentioned previously that our builder wanted a ridiculous mark-up for them to do it so we said “shove it” and are upgrading on our own; they’ll just install the basic selections that comes with the house.

Anyway, even though it won’t be installed for around ten months there was a once-a-year sale through Costco which got us a 19% rebate (which equates to roughly $5,000!!!). By doing it this way, all told we’re saving close to 20k... Crazy o_O

The flooring company Is a solid business that’s been around for decades and our sales guy has been with them for over twenty years. They will hang on to the product until we’re ready and will also help us deliver the pulled up carpet/wood and take it to a charity of our choice (probably Habitat for Humanity or a local women’s or homeless shelter), so all in all I feel good about this!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two updates - we got our official street address today (:dance:) and we purchased our flooring. I think I mentioned previously that our builder wanted a ridiculous mark-up for them to do it so we said “shove it” and are upgrading on our own; they’ll just install the basic selections that comes with the house.

Anyway, even though it won’t be installed for around ten months there was a once-a-year sale through Costco which got us a 19% rebate (which equates to roughly $5,000!!!). By doing it this way, all told we’re saving close to 20k... Crazy o_O

The flooring company Is a solid business that’s been around for decades and our sales guy has been with them for over twenty years. They will hang on to the product until we’re ready and will also help us deliver the pulled up carpet/wood and take it to a charity of our choice (probably Habitat for Humanity or a local women’s or homeless shelter), so all in all I feel good about this!

That's amazing news:appl: And woohoo Costco rocks! So happy for you @ILikeShiny. Smart way to get exactly what you want at a reasonable cost.
yayy.gif

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@elizabethess I love the look of the tuxedo! I have never heard of it. If you can a bit of zing in the backsplash is a good thing, BUT remember you have to live there not the designer :) love your choices.

I think the tuxedo look is pretty. Not for me as I prefer a more matchy cabinet look but I think it is a lovely look in general and if you love it @elizabethess go for it.

@elizabethess, I really like the tuxedo look a lot! The white brightens things up and the wood adds coziness and warmth, very pretty. And yes, a great way to hide those fingerprints lol.

Okay, I can kind of see where you're going with this. I'd never head of "tuxeoding", but I can definitely see your rationale. One thing I'd probably suggest is making it a very distinct difference between the white and wood. In other words, I'd go pretty dark with the wood. And then do a light countertop with a backsplash or other decorative accents that pulls in the colors of the two cabinets. Make sense?

Love the tuxedo idea, though it may become dated. With kids in the house, wood lowers will be more forgiving than painted lowers. I'm more concerned about the unavoidable damage an active family will subject the lowers to.

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I started seeing tuxedo (or "two-toned") kitchens a few years back; I'm not sure if it really caught on as a trend. It's just calling to me, and over the past week I couldn't get it out of my head, so I did call the designer yesterday to let her know that's what I want :) I absolutely think this could be dated or considered too quirky, but since we're truly hoping to stay here for many years, I figure I might as well go for it :)

@ILikeShiny We are on the same page re: the color balance. Currently we're extending the hardwood into the kitchen, the lower cabinets will be a stained chestnut color, the uppers are white (soft white, not icy). We picked quartz counters, white with some grey veining that imitates marble. Backsplash is still being figured out but I'm gravitating toward something in the light grey or white family. Waiting for samples on two linear glass tiles. Stainless hood, sink and hardware. The overall tones should be a little similar, I think, to this look that has similar cabinet colors, floor color, etc.:

acdb038f7fadc2c7c1901ea359d9724e.jpg

This is not my photo, I found a pic online of the tile we are getting a sample of, and a similar quartz countertop

db69c3af35f807dc4ec7c4c7a34800e5.jpg

Mood board I made over the weekend because I was obsessed :lol:
moodboard2.jpg

Attachments

• moodboard2.jpg
    moodboard2.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 8

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Congrats on the new address and the smart shopping!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results