shape
carat
color
clarity

Please show me your ametrines

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
If you have an ametrine please show me!
These bi-coloured beauties have started to catch my eye and intrigue me, but I haven't found too many mentions of them here on PS. I think I need one :lol:

I'm considering making a pendant. Should I set it in yellow gold or rose gold?
I would love to see some inspiration and how others have set them! Anything I need to consider when purchasing?

Or any other multicoloured stones really. I'm also loving those watermelon tourmalines with the three colours if anyone has one of those :)

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t have any but ametrines are lovely and I have definitely been tempted by a few! I would say the main consideration is to be aware of the high cost of setting a stone. A simple bail wouldn’t cost much but custom work adds up fast. For that reason, I would first shop around for ready made or vintage pieces since the setting cost is already included.

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
I don’t have any but ametrines are lovely and I have definitely been tempted by a few! I would say the main consideration is to be aware of the high cost of setting a stone. A simple bail wouldn’t cost much but custom work adds up fast. For that reason, I would first shop around for ready made or vintage pieces since the setting cost is already included.

You are preaching to the choir here sister!!
Custom setting costs here in Australia are even worse than in the States.

The cost of custom settings definitely gives me pause. But even though ametrine is a "cheap" stone I figure it's pretty enough to get the same treatment as any other stone :lol:

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
20210718_112307.jpg

I have this one. I'm not quite sure how to set it.

Beautiful!! I've never seen colour as rich as that on an ametrine before!
What are the dimensions?

For my future ametrine I am thinking a pendant set east-west. Do you have any ideas or contenders for yours?

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful!! I've never seen colour as rich as that on an ametrine before!
What are the dimensions?

For my future ametrine I am thinking a pendant set east-west. Do you have any ideas or contenders for yours?

Thank you! It's 20x30, so definitely too large for a ring. My initial thought was to make it into an enhancer, but I think it's probably too heavy for pearls. So, if it ever gets set, it will be a pendant. I have no clue about the type of setting.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please be aware that the majority of what you can find sold online as "ametrine" is actually synthetic: https://www.gia.edu/doc/Russian-Synthetic-Ametrine.pdf. Anything you find for a very low price is sure to fit into this category.

Interesting....thanks for sharing. Mine was inherited from my Aunt who was an avid traveler and gem collector. Her collection was quite old. I'll have it evaluated, although I probably won't sell it.

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
Please be aware that the majority of what you can find sold online as "ametrine" is actually synthetic: https://www.gia.edu/doc/Russian-Synthetic-Ametrine.pdf. Anything you find for a very low price is sure to fit into this category.

Thanks @pokerface! I do remember reading about this a while back. How should one go about avoiding these? The low value of the stones means it probably isn't worth it to get certified.

I have no issue with synthetics (and often prefer them), but I would hate to think my vendor might be duped by them as well since they're so prevalent!

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
I think you'd be safe with a PS-recommended vendor who promises a natural stone. If you don't mind synthetics, then there's not much to worry about! Ametrine is not a pricy stone regardless; the most expensive ones I've seen are priced higher because of custom cutting.

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
I think you'd be safe with a PS-recommended vendor who promises a natural stone. If you don't mind synthetics, then there's not much to worry about! Ametrine is not a pricy stone regardless; the most expensive ones I've seen are priced higher because of custom cutting.

Oh yeah, it's not just the cost of custom settings, but custom cutting always gets me good. I can't help it. Like a moth to a flame.....

paragon1234

Shiny_Rock
I want an ametrine but most I've seen have massive windows. I also don't like a half and half split in colour. I like the look of this example I found from the gia site, so maybe fantasy cut is the way to go.
91634 636x358.jpg

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
I want an ametrine but most I've seen have massive windows. I also don't like a half and half split in colour. I like the look of this example I found from the gia site, so maybe fantasy cut is the way to go.
91634 636x358.jpg

Oh pretty! I love fantasy cuts in general, but I think some really cool stuff can be done with bi-coloured or dichroic stones.

That reminds me of this ametrine from Osiris Gems:

images - 2021-08-01T150509.702.jpeg

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
91634 636x358.jpg

I think this look (of color not cut) is called blended. That's how mine was marked above. This example definitely has better color though.

Rockcollector

Shiny_Rock
Thank you! I bought it from a very reputable local jeweler, so I’m sure it’s not synthetic

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
I don’t have one but saw a photo of this pendant a while back, they can be so beautiful in the right cut. This reminds me of a lily …
1627857796544.jpeg

Now that is a stunner!!!! It's sculpted so perfectly to take advantage of the purple and yellow parts :kiss2:

LisaLevine

Rough_Rock
Couldnt help but share this ametrine I was fortunate enough to purchase a little while ago. I'm certain this is natural. The stone was much the same as this photo sent by the vendor before the purchase. I love it and still thinking what I should do with it :) 20210602.jpg

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
Couldnt help but share this ametrine I was fortunate enough to purchase a little while ago. I'm certain this is natural. The stone was much the same as this photo sent by the vendor before the purchase. I love it and still thinking what I should do with it :) 20210602.jpg

Lovely!! I would be partial to an east-west set pendant for that oval! =)2 What options are on your shortlist so far?

paragon1234

Shiny_Rock
I found an ametrine that doesn't have a window. The colour is less saturated than my ideal, but it's big and cheap so it's ok as a starter stone. It's 15 carats. I think I'll make it into a pendant.
IMG_20210911_083754.jpg
IMG_20210911_084323__01.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results