shape
carat
color
clarity

Please share your photos of nature, wildlife, etc.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last year, I saw a Bohemian Waxwing (photos posted earlier in this thread).
This past weekend, I spotted a Cedar Waxwing.
Then he spotted me.

0I5A5663.JPG

0I5A5669.JPG

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
awesome Cedar Waxwing pics, love the second one.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
check your monitors color temperature setting. It should be 6500k it is likely set to 9300k
Some newer monitors don't have a setting for directly setting it, set it to photo mode should get the correct color temp.

Thanks! I couldn't find the setting, but did come across something regarding colour management and photo mode. After some sleep and a couple of cups of coffee, I'll go back and verify that. Its about 1:30 a.m. here and my brain called it a night a while ago. :lol:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
awesome Cedar Waxwing pics, love the second one.

Thanks!
Yes, the look he's giving in the second photo made me think I was in serious trouble! :mrgreen2:

Prior to last year, I'd never even heard of a Bohemian Waxwing or a Cedar Waxwing.
For anyone unfamiliar with these lovely birds, I'm reposting the Bohemian Waxwing so both types appear on the same page.

IMG_3946 NW.JPG

IMG_4097 NW.JPG

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Jordy, can I just say that I love that gorgeous opal in your avatar!
The photo and the stone are amazing! :love:

Thank you DF!! The fine handywork with the camera is by Mrs Jordy, she uses a Canon 100mm macro and Canon 700d. She's the photography guru though, I just cut opals!! :mrgreen2:

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sharon,
I saw that on the Cbc Facebook page earlier and I was the only way that photo could be more Canadian was if the Mountie had a Timmies double double! :lol:

Not wildlife but not quite pets. In the garden. 20170712_131458.jpg

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks!
Yes, the look he's giving in the second photo made me think I was in serious trouble! :mrgreen2:

Prior to last year, I'd never even heard of a Bohemian Waxwing or a Cedar Waxwing.
For anyone unfamiliar with these lovely birds, I'm reposting the Bohemian Waxwing so both types appear on the same page.

IMG_3946 NW.JPG

IMG_4097 NW.JPG

I love the two in this post better, just because the eyes are better exposed. I find myself wanting the raw image of the first two just so I can try my adjustment brush in Lightroom to bring out the eyes a little more. (Just a little!) I have only learned how to use it a couple of weeks ago, so I now find myself wanting to play with it a LOT...

I love the way you use a relatively shallow depth of field so that the background does not interfere with the subject.

Wink

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you DF!! The fine handywork with the camera is by Mrs Jordy, she uses a Canon 100mm macro and Canon 700d. She's the photography guru though, I just cut opals!! :mrgreen2:

Clearly a great team effort!

Wink

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sharon,
I saw that on the Cbc Facebook page earlier and I was the only way that photo could be more Canadian was if the Mountie had a Timmies double double! :lol:

AIN'T that the truth! LOLOL:bigsmile:

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sharon,

Your picture brought back fond memories of my mom's fish pond. She and dad put that in for an original investment of about 10k including some very nice fish. By the time she passed, I know she spent well over $50k for constant expenses, new filters, constant moss treatments, new fish as the herons loved to come stand on the edge and go "fishing" and also some of the bigger fish got to rambunctious in the Spring and jumped too high, clearing the nearly 2 foot edge.

We gave the Koi to some of her friends who had their own money pits and when we sold her house, the new owner immediately filled it in and made a stone rimmed garden out of it.

Wink

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
So, I went out about a half hour before sunrise the other day and got some photos of ducks and geese, both before and after sunrise. Amazing what a digital camera can do...

Here is a hen showing, literally, the meaning of the expression, "Like water off a duck's back".

water-off-a-ducks-b-ackw.jpg

And here is a another hen doing her early morning cleaning...

Morning-ablutionsw.jpg

Here is a mother daughter swim along.

motheranddaughterw.jpg

And a little feeding time in the early morning sun.

Feed-M.jpg

Wink

Attachments

• swimming-duckw.jpg
    swimming-duckw.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 21

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, I went out about a half hour before sunrise the other day and got some photos of ducks and geese, both before and after sunrise. Amazing what a digital camera can do...

Here is a hen showing, literally, the meaning of the expression, "Like water off a duck's back".

water-off-a-ducks-b-ackw.jpg

And here is a another hen doing her early morning cleaning...

Morning-ablutionsw.jpg

Here is a mother daughter swim along.

motheranddaughterw.jpg

And a little feeding time in the early morning sun.

Feed-M.jpg

Wink

Wow. That some exceptional photography. :D

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Mrs J takes great photos!
However, a photographer needs a subject to photograph, and that opal is one gorgeous subject! :love:

By the way, never say that you 'just' cut opals.
:wavey:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the two in this post better, just because the eyes are better exposed. I find myself wanting the raw image of the first two just so I can try my adjustment brush in Lightroom to bring out the eyes a little more. (Just a little!) I have only learned how to use it a couple of weeks ago, so I now find myself wanting to play with it a LOT...

I love the way you use a relatively shallow depth of field so that the background does not interfere with the subject.

Wink

Wink, if I'd taken RAW photos, I'd happily share them with you. Only took jpeg.
I'd read about the advantages of RAW photos and did take a few last year just after getting my camera.
However, that was before I had the software to open RAW images! :doh:
So much to learn, so little time. :lol-2:

Love that you're having fun with Lightroom!
Yes, I agree, the Cedar Waxwings photos would be nicer with the eyes better defined, or a bit of a glint.
I keep going out with my camera, hoping to spot these handsome lads and get another shot at them.

Thanks for the shallow depth of field compliment.
Its just the result of zooming in on my subjects, who tend to be at a distance.

My new camera has two memory slots, so I should set it up to save jpeg on one and RAW on the other.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Up until now, I've taken photos through my window of the birds in my backyard.
Last Saturday, I sat outside and took photos.
No glass barrier between the camera and the subject! :dance:

Lots of photos to go through, but here are three for now; Black-Capped Chickadee and female Downy Woodpecker.

Black and white and polka-dots! I love the classic looks! =)2

0I5A7064.JPG

0I5A7081.JPG

0I5A7080.JPG

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl, beautiful! :appl:

I agree that some photos really are best in black and white.
A few years ago, I commissioned a painting and was asked if I wanted it to be in colour or sepia.
Absolutely, in my mind, the image called for sepia.

Colour can be wonderful, but there are times black and white (or sepia) provides a more interesting look; giving a timeless quality, or highlighting the pattern or effects of lighting.

=)2

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Snowy Owl, Caribou, Puffins from our recent trip to Newfoundland.
snowy owl.jpg caribou.jpg puffins.jpg

Natalie222

Rough_Rock
WOW! How many wonderful pictures! I also want to share my hobby. I'm a birdwatcher. I even bought a binocular for this purpose (https://www.atncorp.com/smart-hd-binocular). I like long walks and always come back home full of excitement. I'm going to buy a camera in order to make pictures, so I hope I will be able to share my pictures here soon.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_2850.JPG

Momma deer is on the other side of the street keeping an eye on the twins.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last year, I saw a Bohemian Waxwing (photos posted earlier in this thread).
This past weekend, I spotted a Cedar Waxwing.
Then he spotted me.

0I5A5663.JPG

0I5A5669.JPG
Were they in a flock? When they flock, their contact call sounds like ray-guns from a 1960s SciFi flick!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A few photos from Sunday morning.

A Great Blue Heron on a branch overhanging the river.

0I5A2939.JPG
A lovely squirrel wondering if I brought him a treat. Unfortunately, I hadn't. Opps

0I5A3132.JPG

A mystery snake (3 feet long) which I believe is a Northern Water Snake (according to my googling the following day). Interesting fact that I learned the day after taking the photo, is that when the Northern Water Snake bites, a small amount of an anticoagulant is secreted which prevents the wound from healing properly. Therefore, if bitten by this snake, a person should seek immediate medical attention. I'm learning so much. After the fact. Ha! However, I wasn't at any real risk of being bitten because I didn't attempt to pick up the snake.

0I5A3067.JPG

For those who are interested, here's a closer look at this lovely suit.

0I5A3077.JPG
They do have a mild anticoagulant secreted from a gland in their mouth, but it is really not a big deal. Wash out the bite and move along. They are, however, seriously grumpy. The one species of snake I've gotten bitten from twice...but, I was grabbing it to put a PIT tag inside it. So, I'd have bitten me too!

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG-20170811-WA0007.jpg
4m Burmese python in the garden. Police and snake catcher carted it away.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG-20170811-WA0007.jpg
4m Burmese python in the garden. Police and snake catcher carted it away.
So cool! Other than to small pets, they are pretty harmless and eat rats. Invasive species in some parts of the world, especially in southern Florida in the US, in which case I would totally have the snake put into a controlled setting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results