shape
carat
color
clarity

Please share your photos of nature, wildlife, etc.

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
I'd like to know the name of this guy but, so far, haven't been able to identify him. I tried googling 'dragonfly that looks like he has a marshmallow in his mouth' but, surprisingly, nothing came up. :lol:
That photo is amazeballs! Marshmallow :)

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This picture is my FAVORITE!!!! I need a print of this, with the caption, "Some people are born with silver spoons in their mouths. I, on the other hand, was born with a MARSHMALLOW!!!!!!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

The lovely and funny PintoBean is the one who 'realized' the dragonfly had a marshmallow (see her post above, from page 18). :lol:

She also pointed out the great business opportunity of creating T-Shirts with the image and caption. The woman's a genius!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
December-fire, you probably mentioned it, are you using any special camera?

Less than 1.5 yrs ago, I bought my first DSLR; a Canon 6ts and 2 lens; 18-135 mm and 75-300 mm with Image Stabilization (IS). I was very happy with that set-up (and still own them), but figured I could be even happier by upgrading. You know, just like with diamonds. ;-)

So I just bought a Canon 7D Mark ii and a new lens, the 100-400 IS ii (I mentioned considering this on page 24).

I love the new set-up! However, I'm new to photography and just starting to use my new camera and lens. The camera and lens are capable of much more and can produce stunning results in the hands of a skilled professional! So please don't judge based on my photos.

Although I went with Canon, there are lots of great camera brands and models available.

I want to point out that great photos can be achieved with all kinds of cameras; DSLRs, point-and-shoots and cell phone cameras.

Photography, combined with whatever subject a person enjoys, is a great past-time. I'd hate to think someone doesn't try it because of misconceptions about required equipment or lack of knowledge.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretend that I have december-fire's awesome camera and photo skills and that this is a close up view....Sea lions and Elephant Seals at the Oregon Coast. Elephant Seals are the lighter brown blobs at the base of the rock. You may have to squint.

sea lions 2.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last week...

IMG_1366.PNG

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This week... we got babies!

IMG_1367.PNG

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness! Thank you, Poodles4me! :appl:

I really appreciate you putting a name to this guy! :wavey:
You're welcome :wavey:. I want to get a bumper sticker that says "I Stop for Dragonflies".

When I was a child my mom, dad and I went for a walk in our city's largest park. There were dragonflies galore and I was a bit scared of them, as was my mom. My dad told me not to be frightened and explained how gentle they are. He put out his hand and one landed. He told me to do the same and one landed on my hand (my mother refused). We walked along the path with these big beautiful blue dragonflies gently sitting on our hands. That was such a special day for me and I remember it as if it were yesterday.

Shoot - I was going to add some pictures of butterflies from the local butterfly garden but I can't find them.

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay - Ahhh :love:. A few years ago my friend and I were at the zoo and there just happened to be geese (wild) who made a nest along one of the paths. We stood and watched in fascination as they hatched. It was the most incredible sight. We were careful not to get too close, daddy goose would have taken a run at us.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Poodles, these particular geese are on top of pilons sticking out of the Chicago River. They are well protected from predators, and there's not much occasion for Daddy to take a run any anyone from there, but oh those poor yellow fluffballs... the first fall into the water is going to be a real b!tch!

Pretty much everyone in Chicago that walks downtown knows about the perils of coming too close to a momma and her babies this time of year. I was once chased a full block for getting too close! Now, I see those things, I walk on the other side of the street! :lol:

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Poodles, these particular geese are on top of pilons sticking out of the Chicago River. They are well protected from predators, and there's not much occasion for Daddy to take a run any anyone from there, but oh those poor yellow fluffballs... the first fall into the water is going to be a real b!tch!

Pretty much everyone in Chicago that walks downtown knows about the perils of coming too close to a momma and her babies this time of year. I was once chased a full block for getting too close! Now, I see those things, I walk on the other side of the street! :lol:

Thanks for clarifying where this is. Wow, Canada geese sure pick strange places to nest don't they :lol:? You're right, that first tumble out of the nest won't be much fun. I grew up in a city where we had geese year round because there was heated open water on the lake because of a nearby power plant. It didn't matter to them it was -40C. The park was loaded with geese and we also learned the hard way not to get close at certain times of the years. They will give you a warning hiss but then it's lookout - every man, woman and child for themselves (lol) .

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness! Thank you, Poodles4me! :appl:

I really appreciate you putting a name to this guy! :wavey:
Marshmallow face is the technical description of course

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the new additions!

Matata, wow! I'd have to travel to see a beautiful view like that! Thanks for sharing!

Dee*Jay, I'm so anxious for the babies of all kinds to arrive here! You're wise to give a Canada Goose, or any parent, some space when they're protecting their young. The visual of being chased by one made me laugh! :lol:

There are a few beaver lodges in a lake (here in the city), and almost each one has a Canada Goose nest on it. Apparently, that's common. Its easier to defend the eggs and young from predators having water on all, or most, sides.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I should probably try to balance off all my chatting by posting a photo or two. :))

Just one for now (I'm running late, as usual, and have a hair appointment to get to. Need to be presentable for my next outing with my camera, or I'll scare the animals off!)

Ta-Da! The totally adorable Eastern Ontario Painted Turtle! :love:
Darn, just did some googling to confirm I'm correct about the 'Eastern Ontario' part, but more time is required, so I might be back later to correct the name. It is, however, a Painted Turtle!

0I5A8959.JPG

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
DF - I just saw a picture of a Wood Duck at a local park. It was on a local news site. This thread has got me excited about taking pictures of wildlife. I have to see one of these beauties in person. Did you notice it's colour matches the Painted Turtle?

Just do me a favour DF and don't post any pictures of large spiders ;-).

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DF - I just saw a picture of a Wood Duck at a local park. It was on a local news site. This thread has got me excited about taking pictures of wildlife. I have to see one of these beauties in person. Did you notice it's colour matches the Painted Turtle?

Just do me a favour DF and don't post any pictures of large spiders ;-).

Oh, I'm glad the Wood Ducks are in your area! I hope you can get out and see them.

Yes, take photos! And, of course, come back and post them, please! That goes for everyone! Get outside. Take a few moments to enjoy the beauty of the outdoors and all the amazing creatures. It can help put life's other stuff into perspective.

I hadn't mentally connected the colours of the Wood Duck and Painted Turtle! Interesting.

Ha! No large spiders. Got it! Hopefully, spider webs are OK. I find the webs to be fascinating; delicate yet strong, and beautiful the way they catch the light.

Anyone have any spider web photos they'd like to share?

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its raining. Just like yesterday. And the day before. Rain expected for the next week. Before I start building the ark, I'll post a few photos, a couple of which were taken during sunshine a few days ago.

A Red-Winged Blackbird.
Hmmm, suddenly I'm picturing a fashionable black Fall cape with red colour-blocking across the shoulders. Chic. :))
0I5A9665.JPG

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The lovely female Red-Winged Blackbird.
I didn't know what kind of bird she was when I took the photos. How did I get through life not knowing this stuff. :))

0I5A0048.JPG
0I5A0096.JPG

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Male Mallard Ducks practicing their synchronized swimming routine.

0I5A0376.JPG

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Funny how a little rain will discourage people from going to the park. Just a couple of people walking their dogs, a jogger and a novice photographer with her camera, decked out in its Rainsleeve and tucked under her jacket, as she took a dozen photos of the waterfall at various shutter speeds and aperature settings.

0I5A0409.JPG

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I noticed these interesting little flowers growing wild. I think they might be Yellow Trout Lilies.

0I5A0733.JPG 0I5A0723.JPG

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tulips!
Nothing blooming yet in my garden, so I was happy to see these at one of the parks.

0I5A0751.JPG
0I5A0752.JPG

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so excited!
This little guy just came to my backyard a few minutes ago! I've never seen this bird before!

I think he's a male Indigo Bunting! :dance: :dance: :dance:

0I5A1452.JPG
0I5A1433.JPG
0I5A1414.JPG

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
December Fire - Oh my gosh, he's beautiful! I can't get over the striking colours. All birds are jewels in my eyes but this is like having a Paraiba tourmaline in your backyard.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hummingbirds have returned to my garden! :dance: :dance: :dance:
I spotted the first one on May 18 at 8:17 p.m.
Since then, I still haven't washed my window inside and out. :doh:
But here are some photos from yesterday morning, taken through my dirty window.

This lovely little lady is fueling up at my newly-purchased cuphea vermillionaire, which won't survive our winters (although I'll move it to the garage for the winter and see if it comes back), but was recommended to me by the lady at the garden center who knows I plant for hummers. :))

0I5A1917.JPG
0I5A1933.JPG

0I5A1921.JPG

0I5A1931.JPG

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
December fire, amazing pics! You are a fantastic photographer, I think you should consider becoming a professional!

Omigosh, just saw the pics of the bunting…fabulous color and the quality of your pics is exceptional! :love:

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This baby was waiting for her momma in my woods just beyond the yard. So sweet! Until they eat my garden. :(
Wow @December-fire. Awesome pics! Love hummingbirds. So amazing.

IMG_0201_zpsqcvhbpwt.jpg

IMG_0197_zpsd8tpyxqd.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results