shape
carat
color
clarity

Please share your photos of nature, wildlife, etc.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You take such great photos December-Fire...love your comments too! Keep them coming!

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sonnyjane, Thank you! The sunlight and colouring on the Canada Goose caused some of the feathers to shine like satin. Hope that comes through in the photos. By the way, these guys looked like they faired well over the Winter; more meat on them than a Thanksgiving turkey!

I hope you or others will correct me if I misidentify a bird or other creature in my photos. I posted the woodpeckers last night, then checking PS this morning while having my coffee, I thought 'wait, is that actually a Downy that I called at Hairy woodpecker!'. :-o Ah well, if I'm wrong, it won't be the first - or last! - time. :)

tyty, thank you! Think twice about asking me to post more photos. I will. (Insert evil laugh)

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
Hey December...Speaking of woodpeckers.. tons in my backyard..any photos of Pileated?

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pinkjewel,

Thank you! I have to head out soon, but thought I've got to reply to you. It so funny you ask about my lens. I've been driving myself absolutely crazy the past week or so over whether to purchase a new lens! All day I flip-flop between 'Yes! I'll buy it!' and 'No, I'm good with what I've got'. I'm driving myself insane! :confused:

I bought my first DSLR a year ago. I knew I wanted to take wildlife photos, so tried to make informed choices; got a camera with a shutter speeds to 1/4000 second, and 7 shots per second, and a 70-300 mm lens.

Within a week, I thought 'oh, I need more reach than 300 mm'. However, people told me if I bought a 400 mm, then I'd soon want a 500 mm, etc., and the weight would increase to the point that handholding it would be an issue. I don't want to be restricted by a tripod or monopod. I want the freedom to speed my wings and change direction quickly! :lol:

Current telephoto lens (I have one other lens); Canon 70-300 mm f/4-5.6 IS USM.
The one I'm debating; Canon 100-400 mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS II USM.

It would give me more reach (although I'll always want more, lens version of DSS), and its the L series so solid build quality.

Its on sale which is very attractive to my financially-minded brain. I'm in Canada, so the exchange rate hits us hard. Last April, our pathetic exchange rate resulted in a price jump of about 30% on all camera stuff. I have a hard time buying stuff for myself; I wouldn't hesitate so much if this was a gift for a loved one. Darn baggage. ;-)

Anyway, sorry to ramble. I've been searching out photography sites to find out if this might be a wise decision. I can't find anything negative about this L lens. I do wonder about the f-stop, but wider aperatures get more expensive. Like I said, I've only been at this for a year, so I'm no expert on this stuff.

I have an appointment to run off to, but then I'm thinking I'll drop by the camera shop and see if there's a price increase expected this April. I might come home with a new lens. Sigh. Such a first world problem.

My apologies for boring people with such a lengthy, rambling post. I would appreciate any comments, though, if people don't mind.

Oh, and with or without a new lens, I'll be back with more photos! I'm so addicted to nature, wildlife and photography!

Yikes! This post is so long that even I wouldn't read it! :lol:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey December...Speaking of woodpeckers.. tons in my backyard..any photos of Pileated?

siamese3, I posted some several pages back. Found them on my laptop! Taken March 11, 2016, so posted here around that date.

Here's a couple for you that I'm reposting. This was the first time I had ever seen a pileated woodpecker! There's a female Pileated and a female Downy woodpecker on opposite sides of the tree, so you can see the largest and smallest woodpecker on the same tree! I also saw the male pileated that day and took/posted photos of him. I'd never heard of a pileated woodpecker before getting my DSLR! Nature is incredible!

Opps! Gotta' run to my appointment!
IMG_7385.JPG IMG_7388.JPG

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
siamese3, I posted some several pages back. Found them on my laptop! Taken March 11, 2016, so posted here around that date.

Here's a couple for you that I'm reposting. This was the first time I had ever seen a pileated woodpecker! There's a female Pileated and a female Downy woodpecker on opposite sides of the tree, so you can see the largest and smallest woodpecker on the same tree! I also saw the male pileated that day and took/posted photos of him. I'd never heard of a pileated woodpecker before getting my DSLR! Nature is incredible!

Opps! Gotta' run to my appointment!
IMG_7385.JPG IMG_7388.JPG

Thanks for posting..I was on a walk when I saw my first Pileated and I thought WOW! I only see one about once or twice a year. I had heard this crazy bird call while I was on my daily walk (kind of a wooded neighborhood near mine) that sounded strangely sounded like a jungle animal, but in upstate ny????. So I come home, google "bird that sounds like jungle animal in upstate, ny" and found out who this guy was. Awesome. Haven't seen one in my backyard though even the Red bellied I get seems kind of big compared to all my smaller ones :)

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
pinkjewel,

Thank you! I have to head out soon, but thought I've got to reply to you. It so funny you ask about my lens. I've been driving myself absolutely crazy the past week or so over whether to purchase a new lens! All day I flip-flop between 'Yes! I'll buy it!' and 'No, I'm good with what I've got'. I'm driving myself insane! :confused:

I bought my first DSLR a year ago. I knew I wanted to take wildlife photos, so tried to make informed choices; got a camera with a shutter speeds to 1/4000 second, and 7 shots per second, and a 70-300 mm lens.

Within a week, I thought 'oh, I need more reach than 300 mm'. However, people told me if I bought a 400 mm, then I'd soon want a 500 mm, etc., and the weight would increase to the point that handholding it would be an issue. I don't want to be restricted by a tripod or monopod. I want the freedom to speed my wings and change direction quickly! :lol:

Current telephoto lens (I have one other lens); Canon 70-300 mm f/4-5.6 IS USM.
The one I'm debating; Canon 100-400 mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS II USM.

It would give me more reach (although I'll always want more, lens version of DSS), and its the L series so solid build quality.

That's the lens we use on our work camera. At home I shoot a Nikon with a 70-200, so I'm getting spoiled at work. I want to go out and use my Nikon some more to remind me that I still like that setup too haha, but the 400 from work spoils me. It's heavy but not need a monopod heavy (but I am sore at the end of the day).

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for posting..I was on a walk when I saw my first Pileated and I thought WOW! I only see one about once or twice a year. I had heard this crazy bird call while I was on my daily walk (kind of a wooded neighborhood near mine) that sounded strangely sounded like a jungle animal, but in upstate ny????. So I come home, google "bird that sounds like jungle animal in upstate, ny" and found out who this guy was. Awesome. Haven't seen one in my backyard though even the Red bellied I get seems kind of big compared to all my smaller ones :)

siamese3, oh, that's too funny that you got results for googling 'bird that sounds like jungle animal in upstate, ny'! :lol: Pileated woodpeckers really are quite something! This past weekend, I was out and heard the loud hammering sound that could only be a Pileated woodpecker, but I couldn't spot him! So frustrating. I thought 'how can I not spot such a large bird!'.

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
siamese3, oh, that's too funny that you got results for googling 'bird that sounds like jungle animal in upstate, ny'! :lol: Pileated woodpeckers really are quite something! This past weekend, I was out and heard the loud hammering sound that could only be a Pileated woodpecker, but I couldn't spot him! So frustrating. I thought 'how can I not spot such a large bird!'.

I actually heard one the other day too, but couldn't spot him! They sound like jackhammers, lol! People probably thought I was nuts standing there in the middle of the road, gazing up into the trees. Last spring, I saw one fly right by me.. he was actually flying from tree to tree right, looking for some perfect spot right in people's front yards. smack dab in the middle of the neighborhood. So crazy cool. I usually hear him when I am on the outskirts, by the river where there are more dense trees.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's the lens we use on our work camera. At home I shoot a Nikon with a 70-200, so I'm getting spoiled at work. I want to go out and use my Nikon some more to remind me that I still like that setup too haha, but the 400 from work spoils me. It's heavy but not need a monopod heavy (but I am sore at the end of the day).

sonnyjane, that's interesting that the lens is what you use on your work camera. After my appointment today, I dropped by the camera shop to check out the lens. I don't think the weight will be an issue. As you said, its heavy, but its not too heavy for hand-holding. Confession time; after checking out the lens, I asked about a different camera body. It doesn't cost anything to ask questions, right? Ha! Bottom line, they've ordered in a camera body for me to look at and will receive it Friday.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually heard one the other day too, but couldn't spot him! They sound like jackhammers, lol! People probably thought I was nuts standing there in the middle of the road, gazing up into the trees. Last spring, I saw one fly right by me.. he was actually flying from tree to tree right, looking for some perfect spot right in people's front yards. smack dab in the middle of the neighborhood. So crazy cool. I usually hear him when I am on the outskirts, by the river where there are more dense trees.

A jackhammer! Yes, exactly!
That must have been so amazing to see one in the neighbourhood! I secretly hope to have one come to the feeders in my backyard, but I don't really think it will happen. However, I'm only one street away from a large conservation area, so you never know.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been rambling lots but not posting photos. Sorry!

Here's a female Mallard Duck. She was a bit shy at first and covered her eyes , but then smiled for the camera. Hmm, I messed up and the photos are appearing in the reverse order. IMG_3585.JPG
IMG_3584.JPG
IMG_3567.JPG

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And now for the male Mallard Duck!

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gee, maybe I'm more tired than I realize. I posted without adding the photos.
Let's try this again.
IMG_3571.JPG IMG_3572.JPG

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And, the last three for today.
IMG_3586.JPG IMG_3589.JPG IMG_3590.JPG

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are so good!!! I love your pics!

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
sonnyjane, that's interesting that the lens is what you use on your work camera. After my appointment today, I dropped by the camera shop to check out the lens. I don't think the weight will be an issue. As you said, its heavy, but its not too heavy for hand-holding. Confession time; after checking out the lens, I asked about a different camera body. It doesn't cost anything to ask questions, right? Ha! Bottom line, they've ordered in a camera body for me to look at and will receive it Friday.
Our work setup is a 70d with the 100-400 lens. My home setup is a Nikon d7100 with a good 70-200. It's tough bc I only do animals so I'll almost ALWAYS want a better lens, but I also hike with it so I don't want a huge setup. Both setups are perfect for what I need it for. There are crazy setups out there but since I'm not a professional photographer (just a professional "capturer" if you will) they would be overkill.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are so good!!! I love your pics!

Awwww, thank you, redwood! You're too kind. I'm blushing.
Now off to ask Admin to put a LOVE!!! button so I can click that on your post! :lol:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our work setup is a 70d with the 100-400 lens. My home setup is a Nikon d7100 with a good 70-200. It's tough bc I only do animals so I'll almost ALWAYS want a better lens, but I also hike with it so I don't want a huge setup. Both setups are perfect for what I need it for. There are crazy setups out there but since I'm not a professional photographer (just a professional "capturer" if you will) they would be overkill.

Yes! to the always wanting a better lens when photographing wildlife!
If only our subjects would come closer, position themselves in the light properly and then hold the pose. And, on freezing, rainy or otherwise less than ideal weather, perhaps they could come indoors for us to shoot. But then we wouldn't love it as much.

You've got a great setup at work and at home. Its all about trade-offs and, like you, I go out on the trails with my camera, so a monster lens and tripod wouldn't work. I saw someone with a 600 mm prime on the weekend. It was amazing to look through that thing. But totally useful for that particular day. He had planned on taking photos of birds on the other side of the river. However, the birds were closer to our side, and too close for his camera. He went back to his vehicle to swap lens. He has a camera business, so having $$$$$$ lens is part of the business. The camera I'm going to look at is the 7D Mark II; have to do some research on it, since I hadn't planned on upgrading at this point. But its on sale. And would be a nice match to the new lens. ;-)

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I've just gotten a camera for doing photos with my opals, it's a Canon EOS 700d and I have 3 lenses with it. One is a Canon EF100mm macro which I bought specifically for taking pics of the stuff I cut however there are 2 others there. I will have to ask all my questions here on the other lenses and which ones will be best for action outdoor shots :mrgreen:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jordy, congratulations on getting the camera! I'm sure you're going to love it! You seem like a bright, creative, young man, and I suspect you'll have lots of fun photographing your opals in various lighting, settings, different props, etc.

Similarly, I have no doubt that you'll love outdoor action shots (sports, wildlife, your friendly neighbourhood marine creatures), and want to venture into all kinds of fun stuff! There's no end to it; night skies, insects, water drops, black and white, or even shots of people! I tend to avoid photographing people; they're too critical of the results! :lol:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Figured I've talked enough and should post some photos.

An icicle. I like to think of them as an endangered species this time of year.
And a year-round cutie, the Black-Capped Chickadee.

IMG_3196.JPG IMG_3198.JPG

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another Black-Capped Chickadee. I'm hoping to add some variety to the wildlife/birds I post, I don't want you getting bored.

Next up is a red squirrel, tired from a long day of modeling for all the photographers out on the trails.
IMG_3202.JPG IMG_3221.JPG

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
December-fire your pictures are so great! I love the black-capped chickadee, he's so cute and fluffy!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great pics, December-Fire! I felt like I was right there, that is one sign of a great photograph. :appl:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great pics, December-Fire! I felt like I was right there, that is one sign of a great photograph. :appl:

Thanks! I consider a photo to be great if I take it before the subject flies or runs off!

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
l

Heard him today when out on my walk. Spotted him and snapped a quick shot with my phone! I was trying to get my gloves off and couldn't see because my Rx sunglasses aren't progressives, but wanted to show my DH. He quickly flew off with sounds off the jungle ringing in the upstate ny air! WP_20170401_15_01_27_Pro.jpg

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Siamese3, wow! That's great! By the way, I know how large the pileated woodpecker is, and that tree makes him look small! The trees around here don't have such a large diameter. That forest is wonderful!
Oh, when out the other day, I heard a loud hammering but was informed it was a downy or hairy woodpecker. The person told me that the pileated woodpecker makes a loud sound (his voice) but the sound of it hammering at trees isn't very loud.
I have so much to learn! :))

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sonnyjane, those are beautiful! Your 'work colleagues' are fascinating.
Thanks for sharing with us! :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results