shape
carat
color
clarity

Please share your photos of nature, wildlife, etc.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Birds walking upright like people.
Actually, the second photo shows a bird running.
Hmmm, do these photos prove that humans evolved from birds. :think:

img_11065.jpg

img_11066.jpg

img_11067.jpg

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Canada Goose
The pose in the third photo reminds me of a hood ornament on an old car. :))

img_11068.jpg

img_11069.jpg

img_11070.jpg

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another photo of a Canada Goose.
I love these birds; majestic and strong, flying in formation, and returning this time of year to announce the arrival of Spring.

img_11071.jpg

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
december-fire|1457932262|4004875 said:
I love these birds; majestic and strong, flying in formation, and returning this time of year to announce the arrival of Spring.

Gorgeous photos! I love the ombre effect of their feathers. Amazing how nature has such beauty and strength and resilience. When I lived in Canada I used to watch the geese flying overhead...I was always reminded of a book I read a long time ago, called "The Snow Goose". :)

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some photos from some of my trips in China.

I'm still looking for my Xinjiang photos since that trip was a while ago. Sadly I think it's pretty much all closed off to foreign tourists now and even for Chinese people, travel there can be restricted at times. The year I went, we bumped into some Germans in Kashgar (near the border with Tajikistan and Kazakhstan). They had made the trip overland in a dusty SUV along the Silk Road from Europe, all through Russia and Central Asia, all the way to China. I'd like to go back to Xinjiang some day. You could really feel the history there of the Silk Road and the Great Game.

Three Gorges (Yangtze River)..Incredible green river valley.
3gorges.jpg
3gorges1.jpg

Guizhou.
This is one of the poorest provinces in China. The roads are muddy and you have to be careful of rock fall and mudslides in the mountains.

Miao ethnic minority villagers. The Miao are traditionally famous for their embroidery and silver jewelry. The villagers do a cultural show for tourists, and also farm, but don't have many other sources of income.
guizhou.jpg guizhou1.jpg
guizhou2.jpg

Tibet - a selection. I'll spare you the photos of the Tibetan fertility shrines :naughty: :D

This sheep / goat (?) attacked the monk, who defended himself with an umbrella.
tibet2.jpg
It was scary because the sheep also followed us into the temple after I took this photo.. :o
tibet1.jpg

This dog ran away from its owner in front of the Potala Palace (where the Dalai Lama traditionally lived). I like to think it was the cousin of Snowie (from Tintin comics)!
tibet4.jpg
tibet3.jpg

On the shores of Lake Namtso (a holy lake for Tibetans, where heaven meets earth)
tibet5.jpg tibet6.jpg

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mochiko,

Those are amazing!

The first one looks like a completely different world.

I love them all!

The woman riding the yak reminds me of seeing a man riding a donkey in the Afghanistan countryside.

Its as if time has stood still in some parts of the world.

I could go on and on about each photo, as is the case with all the wonderful photos posted by everyone, but I'll just say 'Thank you so much for sharing these incredible scenes!'.

:wavey:

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I love them in the air and on the dinner table, but the local golfers and high schools HATE them as they congregate in the hundreds each day on the golf courses and playing fields, creating HUGE messes!

Wink

P.S. I do love your photos of them!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
mochiko42|1457944564|4004957 said:

Gorgeous photos! I love the ombre effect of their feathers. Amazing how nature has such beauty and strength and resilience. When I lived in Canada I used to watch the geese flying overhead...I was always reminded of a book I read a long time ago, called "The Snow Goose". :)

Ohhh, new word for the day. I know that in French it means shadow. I am not sure how to translate your meaning into photography.

Please teach me this new word as it applies to photography. I love new words and new word usage and want to "capture" this one in my mind.

Thank you!

Wink

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Michico,

Those photos are fantastic. After reading your comment on Buddhist fertility temples, I was tempted to put up the photo my son took of a house with "art" on it taken in Bhutan. It seems there was once a Buddhist monk who traveled through Bhutan who offered his services to local households with maidens who needed to be instructed in the ways of love and then the houses, and there were many of them, proudly put sexual symbols on the walls. When I saw the picture it was more graphic than I remembered and I decided it would be in poor taste. Instead, here is a picture of a sacred mountain in Nepal called Fishtail in English. Climbers can not get permits for this mountain if I am remembering correctly, as it is a sacred mountain.

fishtail.jpg

Here is another picture, also taken in Nepal of a lake called Gorkha Pokhiri at sunrise.

gorkhapokhirwi.jpg

Both of these photos were taken by my son while he was on his "8 year plan" for college. Six months traveling and guiding in Nepal or Bhutan and 6 months of college was the plan. It ended up several years of travel and guiding and then two straight years of college, but he did finish in 8 years as promised. He is an amazing young man and now the CEO of a successful business that hired him when it was a startup.

One last picture, I forget if he took this one in Bhutan or Nepal, but it is special. It is a monastery and every morning someone must go down for water and firewood. It gives a whole new meaning to the Buddhist joke, "What does a Buddhist monk do prior to enlightenment? Cut firewood and carry water. "What does a Buddhist monk do after enlightenment? Cut firewood and carry water.

littlehouseinthehills.jpg

Wink

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I wanted to share this photo that I just found in my beautiful flowers folder. Photoshop tells me I created it on September 13, 2013 but I do not remember it, which is why it pleased me so much to see it "again for the first time."

pink-yellow-white-soft.jpg

Wink

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wink|1457977193|4005155 said:

I love them in the air and on the dinner table, but the local golfers and high schools HATE them as they congregate in the hundreds each day on the golf courses and playing fields, creating HUGE messes!

Wink

P.S. I do love your photos of them!

Wink,

Yes, I thought someone might mention that little aspect of Canada Geese which can be less-than-desirable. Ah well, no one's perfect. :))

You asked Mochiko about the word 'ombre' in regard to photography. I hope she doesn't mind me answering, since I'm here on PS taking a break (from reading about lenses while wishing the rain would stop!).

Ombre refers to colour; " ... the gradual blending of one color hue to another, usually moving tints and shades from light to dark."

Mochiko would have been referring to the Canada Goose colouring which transitions from light to darker shades.

Mochiko, tell me if I'm wrong! :D

Wink, your son's photos left me speechless! I love mountains, and the mountain in the first photo appears lit from within and above! Amazing. Thanks to you for sharing these photos (and the one of the 'newly found' beautiful flower), and thanks to your son for his incredible photos of a magical location.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thought I'd share a couple more.

Apparently, the beavers are rather fond of the tree in these photos. Yesterday was my first time visiting this Lake (15 minutes from home), and I noticed a beaver lodge when I arrived. I'm wondering if the tree will still be standing upon future visits!

img_11075.jpg

img_11076.jpg

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mallard Ducks - male

img_11077.jpg

img_11078.jpg

Roi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Beautiful photos!!! Amazing landscapes and wildlife! Can not compare with your skills in photography.....Here are few iphone photos, spring is coming.....

img_11079.jpg

Roi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Another one is twilight, the blue light is just something.....

img_11080.jpg

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
december-fire and Wink, yes, by ombre (ombré) I meant the graduation/shading of color in the feathers. Canada geese used to be a HUGE nuisance at the airport near where I used to live in Canada (not their fault that humans built a large airport right on a river estuary).

Wink, thank you for sharing those beautiful photos and stories of Nepal and Bhutan. Your son is very multitalented, it seems, not only in business- these are gorgeous photos! :) Do you remember if he shared any impression of his time in Bhutan? I read about the reports about its National Happiness Index in the news, so I wonder what it's actually like there. Regarding the fertility shrines in Tibet, there are some phallic wooden statues set up by roadsides, some unpainted, some painted red, some covered in fur pelts..People rub them for luck. :lol:

december-fire, did you see any beavers? Those marks in the wood look fresh!
Thank you for all the photos - you really do have a keen eye and talent for taking amazing shots.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mochiko42|1458010202|4005427 said:
december-fire and Wink, yes, by ombre (ombré) I meant the graduation/shading of color in the feathers. Canada geese used to be a HUGE nuisance at the airport near where I used to live in Canada (not their fault that humans built a large airport right on a river estuary).

Wink, thank you for sharing those beautiful photos and stories of Nepal and Bhutan. Your son is very multitalented, it seems, not only in business- these are gorgeous photos! :) Do you remember if he shared any impression of his time in Bhutan? I read about the reports about its National Happiness Index in the news, so I wonder what it's actually like there. Regarding the fertility shrines in Tibet, there are some phallic wooden statues set up by roadsides, some unpainted, some painted red, some covered in fur pelts..People rub them for luck. :lol:

Thank you for all the photos - you really do have a keen eye and talent for taking amazing shots.

Mochiko,

Thank you for your lovely compliment. There is a lot of luck, as opposed to talent, when getting photos of wildlife. I've been very lucky to have the wildlife come into view, and often remain in view patiently while I try to zoom in and focus!

Everyone's photos are amazing and so interesting! Whether its an animal, exotic location, or gorgeous flowers, I enjoy seeing them all!

Although I didn't see any beavers yesterday, I saw their lodge (and evidence of their presence, as you can see by the tree). It was the first time I've been to that Lake and it was very late in the afternoon when I arrived. I was actually just going to check out the location, not take photos because the sun was starting to set.

I'll be going back frequently and posting beaver photos as soon as I get some.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Roi|1457988306|4005240 said:

Roi,

What a spectacular location and beautiful cabin!

May I ask the location (country)?

And is that your gorgeous cabin?

And can I come stay with you?

I'm a good houseguest, I help out, and I'll bake you cookies! :angel:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm just starting out with photographing wildlife and birds, so I have a lot to learn.

But I stumbled upon a way to get wildlife to stop in their tracks so that you can take a photo.

Photo 1
While out Friday, I was on a bit of a hill when I spotted a deer. She spotted me and started moving quickly into the woods.

Photo 2
I headed down the small, but steep, incline in pursuit. Due to recent mild weather, the slope was a layer of melting snow and ice patches on top of mud. Not a stable combination. I lost my footing, and landed on my bottom and right elbow (which was bent upwards, protectively holding my camera away from the ground). After mentally assessing the damage (to myself; naturally, I protected my camera from any impact), I looked up to see the deer stopped and staring at me with a shocked look. She just stood there for several minutes, with a look that said "You can't descend a small incline!?!? Seriously!?!?". I swear she took a step towards me, as if she was going to come over and ask if I was OK ... as I sat there pathetically in the wet snow.

So, get the animals to stop in their tracks by doing something that leaves them shaking their heads and thinking 'You've got to be kidding me'.

There might be better methods, but you'd have to ask the professionals.

img_11081.jpg

img_11082.jpg

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Wink III loved it there. He and his boss were hired by the government of Bhutan to classify some of its rivers and also to train Bhutanese to be river raft guides, as the King of Bhutan does not want Bhutan to be turned into an American slum the way that parts of Nepal were. At the time that Wink was there I was told that the cost of a visa was over $200 per day and that you had to always have a Bhutanese guide with you.

He met his future boss there, who had brought some of his friends to Bhutan on a kayaking trip and Wink and his then boss were hired to be their guides. I know noting about the happiness index, only that Wink was very happy while he was there.

Wink

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
december-fire|1458013237|4005445 said:

Mochiko,

Thank you for your lovely compliment. There is a lot of luck, as opposed to talent, when getting photos of wildlife. I've been very lucky to have the wildlife come into view, and often remain in view patiently while I try to zoom in and focus!

Everyone's photos are amazing and so interesting! Whether its an animal, exotic location, or gorgeous flowers, I enjoy seeing them all!

Although I didn't see any beavers yesterday, I saw their lodge (and evidence of their presence, as you can see by the tree). It was the first time I've been to that Lake and it was very late in the afternoon when I arrived. I was actually just going to check out the location, not take photos because the sun was starting to set.

I'll be going back frequently and posting beaver photos as soon as I get some.

Remind me to tell you a story about a beaver lodge on the Salmon River and the dog who played with the beaver. I wish I had taken pictures, but I did not have a camera with me that day. I am too tired to tell it tonight, but it is a great fun story.

Wink

Roi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
december-fire|1458013521|4005447 said:

Roi,

Thank you December-fire, photos are from Finnish Lapland. I'd love if you came with us to the cabin! The place is on the top of the hill and it is magic......Welcome!!!! And i love cookies :dance: :dance: :dance: so much....

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I was on the water Saturday morning and while it was a dark and gloomy looking day the water was flat calm. I had all intentions of taking pics for this thread but my outboard motor started to have an electrical issue. Next time hopefully my motor is fine and I can get some pics...

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Roi|1458049862|4005578 said:
december-fire|1458013521|4005447 said:

Roi,

Thank you December-fire, photos are from Finnish Lapland. I'd love if you came with us to the cabin! The place is on the top of the hill and it is magic......Welcome!!!! And i love cookies :dance: :dance: :dance: so much....

Finland! Wonderful! :appl:

I've never been there (yet) but I've seen photos; that explains why the trees looked familiar to me. The shape of the trees and spacing between them is unique to certain areas (I think).

In Finnish Lapland the Aurora borealis are often visible, right? I'd love to see them in person some day. It must be magical. :love:

After seeing your response, I searched for all things Finnish and came across glass igloos! The idea of lying in bed in a glass igloo and staring at the stars and aurora borealis is incredible! It reminds me of an article I read a few years ago about an underwater hotel that featured rooms extending out from the main structure, and having a glass bubble-like exterior. Lights placed on the ocean floor attracted fish which could be viewed from the comfort of the hotel room. I'm pretty sure the location was planned for somewhere in the Carribean, in water that was not particularly deep; just off (and attached to?) an island. I don't know if anything like that was ever built but I love the idea!

Hmmm, this reminds me that when I was 12 years old, I use to go outside at night, lie on the lawn and stare at the sky and stars. I still love staring at the night sky and stars, but I don't lie on the lawn at night. The neighbours might get concerned.

Enough of my rambling! Thank you for your incredibly generous offer! I'm off to grab my passport and head to the airport! Cookie recipes in my carry-on, of course! :lol:

Please share more beautiful photos of your gorgeous country!

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
jordyonbass|1458085646|4005873 said:
I was on the water Saturday morning and while it was a dark and gloomy looking day the water was flat calm. I had all intentions of taking pics for this thread but my outboard motor started to have an electrical issue. Next time hopefully my motor is fine and I can get some pics...

Oh dear, I hope the electrical issue was nothing serious, Jordy.

That's interesting that the water was calm. I've always associated gloomy days with an impending storm and rougher seas. But my knowledge of the ocean is limited to: ocean = water = possibly drowning. :-o

And please post all and any photos! They're wonderful!

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
december-fire|1458093066|4005925 said:
jordyonbass|1458085646|4005873 said:

Oh dear, I hope the electrical issue was nothing serious, Jordy.

That's interesting that the water was calm. I've always associated gloomy days with an impending storm and rougher seas. But my knowledge of the ocean is limited to: ocean = water = possibly drowning. :-o

And please post all and any photos! They're wonderful!

It's nothing serious DF, I managed to find which group of wires was causing the issue and got the motor working while I was out, but with the bay that I fish being one of the most dangerous in Australia and winds being predicted to increase later I decided it would just be best to take the boat home and not take the risk. I've learned when to not push my luck as I have almost run out of it a couple times! :-o

Next time I am out I will try take extra pics in order to make up for my last trip :bigsmile:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Signs of Spring here in the Midwest. Trees and other growth are budding, daffodils are blooming. I started growing my own mushrooms from plugs last fall and so far I have one little shiitake popping up.

treebud31516.jpg

mushroom31516.jpg

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1458096475|4005951 said:
Signs of Spring here in the Midwest. Trees and other growth are budding, daffodils are blooming. I started growing my own mushrooms from plugs last fall and so far I have one little shiitake popping up.

Monarch,

What a beautiful shade of green. And you have daffodils blooming already! That's wonderful.

And congratulations on the baby shiitake mushroom! :appl:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Here's a wee bit of emerald green! =)

img_0025.jpg

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Canada Geese ... I'll just leave it at that.

img_11104.jpg

img_11105.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results