shape
carat
color
clarity

Please share your photos of nature, wildlife, etc.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seagull

In case you're wondering about all the stuff in the water, its chucks of ice, and wood from a tree chopped down by the beavers.

img_11181.jpg

img_11182.jpg

img_11183.jpg

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Red Squirrel eating sunflower seeds which were actually left for the birds.

The third photo is of a different squirrel.
Thought I'd add that as an explanation for those of you, like me, who would note that the squirrel in the last photo has a fuller figure.

img_11184.jpg

img_11185.jpg

img_11186.jpg

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
More squirrel photos!

Because they're cute.
Because this proves they'd make a good alternative to a watch dog.
And because I can! :angel:

img_11187.jpg

img_11188.jpg

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A bird.

Blurry photos of a bird.

I think its some kind of hawk. :read:

Apparently, there are Red-Tailed Hawks, Coopers Hawks, and others in the area.

If the bird experts want to enlighten me, great!

But its safe to say its definitely a bird. :))

Yes. Final answer: its a bird!

img_11189.jpg

img_11190.jpg

img_11191.jpg

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pileated Woodpecker - female!

I know this one!

But, I don't know what she's doing making a hole at the bottom of this tree.
Too low for a 'nest', or whatever its called when its a hole in the tree designed for dwelling.
Digging for insects, maybe?

img_11192.jpg

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Snowshoe Hare

Because its Easter weekend! :))

I took this yesterday.
Its amazing how quickly their coat changes from white back to brown. Great camouflage with their surroundings.

img_11193.jpg

img_11194.jpg

img_11195.jpg

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Surprised my dad for his 60th birthday this weekend by driving 9 hours to a holiday house. The view here is incredible, nearly as incredible as my father's reaction when I barged in yelling 'Is this place double booked or something?!?!' :lol:

20160325_163913.jpg

20160325_180524.jpg

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
jordyonbass|1458940509|4011071 said:
Surprised my dad for his 60th birthday this weekend by driving 9 hours to a holiday house. The view here is incredible, nearly as incredible as my father's reaction when I barged in yelling 'Is this place double booked or something?!?!' :lol:

Jordy, your greeting is hilarious! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I bet your Dad was shocked and thrilled!

What a wonderful son you are to have driven 9 hours to surprise him! That's really special! :appl:

That certainly is a beautiful location!

Best wishes to your Dad for a Wonderful 60th Birthday, and may the year ahead be filled with love, laughter and adventure!

Happy Easter to you and your family, and Happy Birthday to the Birthday Boy!

Oh! Easter chocolate AND birthday cake! You have quite a weekend ahead of you! :))

Roi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
december-fire|1458092516|4005921 said:
Roi|1458049862|4005578 said:
december-fire|1458013521|4005447 said:
Roi|1457988306|4005240 said:
Another one is twilight, the blue light is just something.....

Roi,

What a spectacular location and beautiful cabin!

May I ask the location (country)?

And is that your gorgeous cabin?

And can I come stay with you?

I'm a good houseguest, I help out, and I'll bake you cookies! :angel:

Thank you December-fire, photos are from Finnish Lapland. I'd love if you came with us to the cabin! The place is on the top of the hill and it is magic......Welcome!!!! And i love cookies :dance: :dance: :dance: so much....

Finland! Wonderful! :appl:

I've never been there (yet) but I've seen photos; that explains why the trees looked familiar to me. The shape of the trees and spacing between them is unique to certain areas (I think).

In Finnish Lapland the Aurora borealis are often visible, right? I'd love to see them in person some day. It must be magical. :love:

After seeing your response, I searched for all things Finnish and came across glass igloos! The idea of lying in bed in a glass igloo and staring at the stars and aurora borealis is incredible! It reminds me of an article I read a few years ago about an underwater hotel that featured rooms extending out from the main structure, and having a glass bubble-like exterior. Lights placed on the ocean floor attracted fish which could be viewed from the comfort of the hotel room. I'm pretty sure the location was planned for somewhere in the Carribean, in water that was not particularly deep; just off (and attached to?) an island. I don't know if anything like that was ever built but I love the idea!

Hmmm, this reminds me that when I was 12 years old, I use to go outside at night, lie on the lawn and stare at the sky and stars. I still love staring at the night sky and stars, but I don't lie on the lawn at night. The neighbours might get concerned.

Enough of my rambling! Thank you for your incredibly generous offer! I'm off to grab my passport and head to the airport! Cookie recipes in my carry-on, of course! :lol:

Please share more beautiful photos of your gorgeous country!

Glass igloos, aurora borealis and reindeers, i guess these are the most popular images from Lapland :))))
Here are the reindeers looking for the food and one colored AB:

img_11213.jpg

img_11214.jpg

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Roi, your photos are beautiful! :love:

The aurora borealis is spectacular and breathtaking! :love:

I can only imagine what it must be like to live where these light shows are visible!

I'm sorry. I hope I didn't offend you with my stereotypical view of your beautiful country. I know Lapland has so much to offer.

I'm sure that some people may think Canada is the land of ice and snow all year, and we live in igloos with polar bears walking around outside. I just smile at that idea.

Aurora borealis are visible in parts of Canada, but not where I live. I've always found them to be fascinating natural occurrences. They're like constantly changing works of art.

The reindeer feeding in the field are gorgeous! There are lots of deer near me, and no matter how often I see them, I always react like its the first time. My daughter teases me about that. :))

Thank you for sharing your lovely photos!

I'm glad I decided to quickly check PS before heading out today.

Oh, if you like deer, I saw lots of deer on Wednesday and have yet to select which ones to post here.

I took 466 photos of deer on Wednesday. I promise not to post all of them. :angel:

:wavey:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Porcupine

The porcupines in this area aren't afraid of people at all.
Probably because they're used to people bringing food; although the apples, carrots and seed that are brought are usually meant for the deer.
But, most likely, they're not afraid because they're porcupines. :))

I've added a profile shot for those who might not be familiar with porcupines.
As you can see, their hairstyle is long and carefree on top, and tapered and tailored at the back.
All the cool porcupines are wearing it like that these days.

img_11216.jpg

img_11217.jpg

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
More porcupine photos.

The first photo is him telling me to shoot his right side.

Celebrity wildlife ... :rolleyes:

img_11218.jpg

img_11219.jpg

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
december-fire|1458957264|4011175 said:
jordyonbass|1458940509|4011071 said:

Jordy, your greeting is hilarious! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I bet your Dad was shocked and thrilled!

What a wonderful son you are to have driven 9 hours to surprise him! That's really special! :appl:

That certainly is a beautiful location!

Best wishes to your Dad for a Wonderful 60th Birthday, and may the year ahead be filled with love, laughter and adventure!

Happy Easter to you and your family, and Happy Birthday to the Birthday Boy!

Oh! Easter chocolate AND birthday cake! You have quite a weekend ahead of you! :))

Thanks DF! His reaction was priceless as he didn't think we'd make it because we'd just moved house recently. He couldn't stop talking about it all weekend :bigsmile:

Here's a couple more pics from our weekend away, just a shame we couldn't spend more time there. It's a beautiful location.

20160326_130920.jpeg

20160326_161100.jpeg

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last two porcupine photos (for now).

Apparently, the main victim of getting stuck with porcupine quills can be the porcupine himself.
Porcupines climb trees but sometimes fall down and prick themselves with their own quills.
Fortunately, their quills have a coating which contains antibiotic properties.
They can, however, suffer fractures from the falls.

img_11220.jpg

img_11221.jpg

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
jordyonbass|1459086933|4011657 said:
Thanks DF! His reaction was priceless as he didn't think we'd make it because we'd just moved house recently. He couldn't stop talking about it all weekend :bigsmile:

Here's a couple more pics from our weekend away, just a shame we couldn't spend more time there. It's a beautiful location.

Jordy,

That's wonderful! :appl:

It really is a gorgeous spot.

The man in my life is a hunter/fisherman, but lately all he gets to do is accompany me with my camera and point out the wildlife for me. He teases me by saying things like 'I could put out snares there, there and there and get lots of rabbits'.

Yes, he could. But all he gets is a slap on the arm and a stern warning from me to not even think about it! :lol:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A cute little Red Squirrel with an itch. :))

img_11222.jpg

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
december-fire|1459087907|4011659 said:

Jordy,

The man in my life is a hunter/fisherman, but lately all he gets to do is accompany me with my camera and point out the wildlife for me. He teases me by saying things like 'I could put out snares there, there and there and get lots of rabbits'.

Yes, he could. But all he gets is a slap on the arm and a stern warning from me to not even think about it! :lol:

Hehe you need to let us men imagine it if we can't bring our stuff!!!

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
jordyonbass|1459088766|4011665 said:
december-fire|1459087907|4011659 said:

Jordy,

Hehe you need to let us men imagine it if we can't bring our stuff!!!

Yes, you're right. :lol:

Prior to moving here a few years ago, he hunted every year.
He used to take a box of meat (all cut and wrapped by a trusted butcher) to a single mom and her four children who lived near him.
The year he returned from Afghanistan (he's a Combat Engineer with the Army; front lines, action stuff), he was going to skip hunting after having just returned from an absence of seven months. But the single mom actually came to his door one day and asked if he'd be hunting that year. He said yes, went hunting and took over the meat for her family.

He's a good man, excellent shot, and ensures the animals don't suffer.

So when I slap him on the arm for joking about snaring rabbits, I don't slap too hard. :))

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So on Wednesday I took 466 photos of deer. :shock:

Yes, I know. :rolleyes:

But I don't see them every time I go out, and they were close and comfortable with me being nearby.

I haven't reviewed them all yet to select just a few to post, but here's one for now.

img_11224.jpg

GCGDanielle

Shiny_Rock
:love: :love:
Love everything, but that porcupine is just divine! :angel:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
december-fire|1459087468|4011658 said:
Last two porcupine photos (for now).

Apparently, the main victim of getting stuck with porcupine quills can be the porcupine himself.
Porcupines climb trees but sometimes fall down and prick themselves with their own quills.
Fortunately, their quills have a coating which contains antibiotic properties.
They can, however, suffer fractures from the falls.

Hey, that darn porcupine stole my hairstyle. :lol: :lol: :lol:
:oops:

Adorable porcupine. :love: Thank you for sharing all these marvelous photos everyone. :appl:

porcupine.jpg

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy,

You have beautiful hair!

And, unlike the porcupine's, it doesn't scare people! :lol:

Since the porcupine seems to be popular, here are two more photos.

These were taken back in February when it was about -40 Celsius (same in Fahrenheit).

This poor little guy looked cold and keep coming up to me to see if I had food - or to cuddle him to warm him up? :nono:

img_11237.jpg

img_11238.jpg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
December fire, your animal photos are breathtaking.
The squirrels and porcupines are soooo adorable, I can't stop looking at them.
Cute overload!!

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stracci2000,

Thank you!

I've been busy (eating Easter chocolate), but just selected a few (well, actually, too many!) photos to post.

First a bunch of deer photos from last week.

But then some squirrel photos from yesterday.

:wavey:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These two deer were getting along quite nicely.

For a while.

img_11264.jpg

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And then the larger one decided he'd had enough of the younger one (I think they're both bucks).

First was the 'look'.

Then he put a hoof over the younger one to 'encourage' him to move out of his space.

img_11265.jpg

img_11266.jpg

img_11267.jpg

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The younger one needed to be asked, again, to move.

img_11268.jpg

img_11269.jpg

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And, once more. Just like human children, guess these guys don't always listen the first time.

Don't worry.
The younger deer wasn't hurt at all.
The larger deer made these movements slowly, and the purpose seemed to be to give a message not to hurt.

I hope you weren't too bored by these photos.

I've never seen deer do this and found it very interesting.

If any deer experts want to chime in and tell me I've misinterpreted something, I'd appreciate it! :))

img_11270.jpg

img_11271.jpg

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The little guy in the above photos decided to give the other deer some space and wandered towards me.

img_11272.jpg

img_1959_-_copy.jpg

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw these two deer when I was leaving to head back home.

The deer and I were surprised to see each other as they came out of the woods.

img_11273.jpg

img_11274.jpg

img_11275.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results