shape
carat
color
clarity

Please let me know if you see this ring for sale :(

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
Long story short, I purchased this Art Deco ruby ring a while ago and sent it out to the GIA lab in NYC for a cert. It disappeared when out for delivery with a USPS carrier in Manhattan.
I was able to pinpoint the person responsible for that delivery route, but they denied having ever seen that package. The hope that it might one day miraculously show up with USPS is getting slim. Like any antique jewelry, it really was irreplaceable and I'm just beyond upset.

I'm starting to search eBay, PawnAmerica, etc. I know the chances are slim, but if you happen to come across it for sale, would you please let me know?
Some of you might have seen this already on the CS forum. Sorry for spamming :(
dsc01545-jpg.932030

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
I hope your sleuthing pays off. I heard about a man who searched for 6 years at his local pawnshops for his wife’s stolen ring and finally found it! Do an image search on Google too.

Terrible that this happened. I can see why you are gutted—it is a lovely ring.

empliau

Shiny_Rock
I am so sorry. My sister treasured my dad's class ring, and it was stolen in a burglary - I called pawn shops but was told over and over not to bother, as it was undoubtedly melted down - it was gold. The value of your ring is in the stone, so I think you have a better shot. And weird things do turn up.

I have a story (I always have a story: we olds are often like that). I sent my daughter DVDs just before lockdown - US to Rome. They tried, at least they claimed to have tried, for weeks to deliver them but Rome was locked down and there was no one at school to receive them. After a couple months they were marked Return to sender, still the height of the pandemic. I figured they were gone for good.

A *year* later I got a notice from the Post office that they had my package. I had insured the DVDs, as they were favorites of hers, and completely uncharacteristically had put the receipt in a safe place. When I came to pick it up, its year+ of travels had removed all words from the exterior except my name and the bar code. As he was scanning the receipt, I asked what would have happened if I hadn't had it. He said, "Ma'am, the paperwork would have been legendary."

All this to say, hunt for the ring, but it may genuinely be lost - and turn up. Sometimes it happens.

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
I’m so sad for you and will keep my eyes open!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
So sorry for this loss. I will definitely keep it on my radar. It is a beautiful ring. Hugs to you!

Kalynna

Rough_Rock
I'm so sorry about your spectacular ring I'll be on the lookout. If you follow any antique/vintage resellers on Instagram, it may be worth reaching out to them so that they can keep an eye on their own pipelines.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This sucks @cloud_less
:(

I think if I were you id sure make a point of speaking directly with the Manhattan Postmaster to make sure they know the details.

If they don’t seem to care a pkg destined for the GIA Lab disappeared under these circumstances - I’m sure others would like to know.

Out of curiousity - and it shouldn’t matter - but did it have additional insurance? I wonder if that in itself being destined to the lab would attract or deflect attention from a sticky fingered carrier.
Still sucks.

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
I hope your sleuthing pays off. I heard about a man who searched for 6 years at his local pawnshops for his wife’s stolen ring and finally found it! Do an image search on Google too.

Terrible that this happened. I can see why you are gutted—it is a lovely ring.
Thank you! Image search on Google is a good idea! I haven't thought about that.
I am so sorry. My sister treasured my dad's class ring, and it was stolen in a burglary - I called pawn shops but was told over and over not to bother, as it was undoubtedly melted down - it was gold. The value of your ring is in the stone, so I think you have a better shot. And weird things do turn up.
I might have to start calling pawn shops in NYC... and that's not a short list of numbers to call lol.

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
I'm so sorry about your spectacular ring I'll be on the lookout. If you follow any antique/vintage resellers on Instagram, it may be worth reaching out to them so that they can keep an eye on their own pipelines.
Ohh that's another good point. I follow tons of them on Instagram haha

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
This sucks @cloud_less
:(

I think if I were you id sure make a point of speaking directly with the Manhattan Postmaster to make sure they know the details.

If they don’t seem to care a pkg destined for the GIA Lab disappeared under these circumstances - I’m sure others would like to know.

Out of curiousity - and it shouldn’t matter - but did it have additional insurance? I wonder if that in itself being destined to the lab would attract or deflect attention from a sticky fingered carrier.
Still sucks.
I think someone could quickly figure out that a small package going to the GIA lab address would likely be high-valued. It does not help that submission to GIA will have a memo in the package documenting the item and its value. I'm planning to make an appointment to speak with the Postmaster, Customer Affair and even Postal Inspection if I have to, taking this as far and high up as I can.
I have it under my JM policy but did not insure through USPS.

I do hope that it was just lost and will show up.

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
If the package was scanned as out for delivery, the person most likely responsible for its disappearance is the carrier. I would report this directly to the associated USPS station. Maybe you've done this already, but with a tracking number, you can go through the website.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so sorry. Such a beautiful ring! That is very sad.
Likely it was delivered to a wrong address on the route. If so, the recipient might well have kept it. Quite a few times I’ve had deliveries that weren’t mine (common street name/variation in my town) and I have always found the owners but not everyone is as honest sadly. In NYC this scenario doesn’t seem too outlandish. Hope it turns up.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You would think the GIA would take a case like this quite seriously, as it means packages are being picked off, because they're being sent to the GIA. They should get involved! Ugh.

Also wanted to say I adore that ring and was so excited when you said you bought it. I was so looking forward to your modeling of it. A pox on whomever took it.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You didn’t declare value with USPS, because you presumably felt you were sufficiently covered by your other insurance policy.

So go ahead and make a claim with your insurance, and let them make you whole. That’s what insurance is for.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is an excruciating situation. I am so sorry.
Regarding USPS, I do not know how Manhattan operates. But where I live (another large urban county/City, USPS is notorious for being super lax on registered and insured mail deliveries.

I have had two incidents two different years, where a precious small package delivery mysteriously disappeared, including a photo of a delivered package on my front steps, and lots of stories and passing the buck from the neighborhood mail carriers.

YET, the packages did show up. How I tracked them down: I went to the post office where the package was received before it was sent out to delivery (a regional distribution center) with my paperwork and tracking number. I asked the person behind the desk WHO WAS THE MAIL CARRIER and could they ask that mail carrier what happened to the package, check if they know where the tracked package was last touched/check what the system and the carriers are saying, and to finally ask someone to personally, while you wait, check in the back, in the warehouse. In person, the USPS workers were able to find both packages, in the warehouse in the “to be delivered area” (Eg pre delivery area).

So I hope, with the tracking, and if the mail carriers recorded who delivered it, you might still find it, ESPECIALLY if it was signature required do not drop.

I’m so sorry for this horrible situation and I pray your package shows up Soon! In person visits have helped me both times.

Last edited:

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
I’m so sorry. Such a beautiful ring! That is very sad.
Likely it was delivered to a wrong address on the route. If so, the recipient might well have kept it. Quite a few times I’ve had deliveries that weren’t mine (common street name/variation in my town) and I have always found the owners but not everyone is as honest sadly. In NYC this scenario doesn’t seem too outlandish. Hope it turns up.
Thank you.
It required a signature and was not marked as Delivered. The tracking stopped after the Out for Delivery scan :( I think it never made its way to any recipient : (

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
You would think the GIA would take a case like this quite seriously, as it means packages are being picked off, because they're being sent to the GIA. They should get involved! Ugh.

Also wanted to say I adore that ring and was so excited when you said you bought it. I was so looking forward to your modeling of it. A pox on whomever took it.
The GIA website instructed senders to put "Institute of America" as their business name. I guess they are omitting the "Gemological" part on purpose to avoid being clear target of mail theft. Apparently that did not work lol.
I'm calling GIA tomorrow to see if they can also file a complaint with USPS.

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
You didn’t declare value with USPS, because you presumably felt you were sufficiently covered by your other insurance policy.

So go ahead and make a claim with your insurance, and let them make you whole. That’s what insurance is for.

I did start a claim. I learned that the downside of antique jewelry is that they are hardly ever replaceable : (

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
This is an excruciating situation. I am so sorry.
Regarding USPS, I do not know how Manhattan operates. But where I live (another large urban county/City, USPS is notorious for being super lax on registered and insured mail deliveries.

I have had two incidents two different years, where a precious small package delivery mysteriously disappeared, including a photo of a delivered package on my front steps, and lots of stories and passing the buck from the neighborhood mail carriers.

YET, the packages did show up. How I tracked them down: I went to the post office where the package was received before it was sent out to delivery (a regional distribution center) with my paperwork and tracking number. I asked the person behind the desk WHO WAS THE MAIL CARRIER and could they ask that mail carrier what happened to the package, check if they know where the tracked package was last touched/check what the system and the carriers are saying, and to finally ask someone to personally, while you wait, check in the back, in the warehouse. In person, the USPS workers were able to find both packages, in the warehouse in the “to be delivered area” (Eg pre delivery area).

So I hope, with the tracking, and if the mail carriers recorded who delivered it, you might still find it, ESPECIALLY if it was signature required do not drop.

I’m so sorry for this horrible situation and I pray your package shows up Soon! In person visits have helped me both times.
I'm not in Manhattan so I tried something similar over the phone. In my case the package was signature required, but it was never scanned as Delivered.
I called the post office where the last Out for Delivery scan happened. I asked three (!) different person to check in the back, and nothing was there. I escalated it to the supervisor and asked to speak to the carrier of that delivery route. The supervisor got the carrier on the phone. She sounded very annoyed and was adamant that she never (!) saw that package on the day she should be delivering it.

I do think in-person visit might help as they cannot pull the "we will call you back if we find anything" anymore. I happen to have a trip to NYC planned in two weeks and will definitely pay a visit to that post office.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm not in Manhattan so I tried something similar over the phone. In my case the package was signature required, but it was never scanned as Delivered.
I called the post office where the last Out for Delivery scan happened. I asked three (!) different person to check in the back, and nothing was there. I escalated it to the supervisor and asked to speak to the carrier of that delivery route. The supervisor got the carrier on the phone. She sounded very annoyed and was adamant that she never (!) saw that package on the day she should be delivering it.

I do think in-person visit might help as they cannot pull the "we will call you back if we find anything" anymore. I happen to have a trip to NYC planned in two weeks and will definitely pay a visit to that post office.

I’m so sorry about this.

There’s a chain of custody at USPS. If the package leaves the distribution center and is out for delivery, it goes into the hands of the mail carrier who is accountable to mark the package picked up (out for delivery) and then scanned at delivery.

Mail carriers can’t just say they didn’t see it, if it went into their hands (was scanned “out for delivery”. There is no way out of that scan trail. If the postal carrier’s name was on that route, it was in their hands. The supervisor needs to revisit this, and IMO, with the supervisor’s boss. Do you find the tracking trail on the USPS? I would then escalate to highest levels you can. I’m really sorry, maybe showing up in person will help.

USPS tracked packages are supposedly very secure, exactly due to the scanned tracking system. Have you tried asking GIA if this has ever happened? TBH, this is why I’d send my GIA packages to Carlsbad, not NYC (theres no way you could have known…) Good luck.

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock

Have you tried asking GIA if this has ever happened? TBH, this is why I’d send my GIA packages to Carlsbad, not NYC (theres no way you could have known…)

I spoke to the GIA this morning to raise the concern and all I got was "You need to figure this out with USPS". They cannot discuss if this has ever happened or provide documented confirmation that the package never reached them.

I understand that to some extent as these things can get them into trouble, but it's still disappointing to learn that the GIA does not care at all.

Last edited:

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
I spoke to the GIA this morning to raise the concern and all I got was "You need to figure this out with USPS". They cannot discuss if this has ever happened or provide documented confirmation that the package never reached them.

I understand that to some extent as these things can get them into trouble, but it's still disappointing to learn that the GIA does not care at all.

I don't think the issue is that GIA doesn't care, but rather it is definitely for sure not their fault if USPS lost/stole the package, which seems to undeniably be the case. There is no way for them (or anyone!) to provide confirmation that a package wasn't delivered.

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
I don't think the issue is that GIA doesn't care, but rather it is definitely for sure not their fault if USPS lost/stole the package, which seems to undeniably be the case. There is no way for them (or anyone!) to provide confirmation that a package wasn't delivered.

I'm not putting the blame on them. Sorry if it came across that way. I was trying to raise the concern that the GIA address might be a target of mail theft.

As far as I know, the GIA does have a system for logging the tracking/airbill number of the packages they received. They said on the phone that my package was not in the system, but would not give anything written.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OP did you ship via USPS Registered Mail?
I‘m just curious why the USPS is acting confused.

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
OP did you ship via USPS Registered Mail?
I‘m just curious why the USPS is acting confused.

It was priority mail with signature. I would have done registered mail if it was not for the shortage of time.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
not jewlery but i thought this might give you a glimmer of hope that its not stolen but just ratteling around somewhere
this was on our consummer rights tv show on monday
the segemnt from the programn is in the link and shows the journey the package took around a very small area in Auckland

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think you have said when the delivery was to have happened, so I don't know how long this has been. If it hasn't been that long, it really may show up. If it doesn't, should you file a police report? I don't know that answer, but the question crossed my mind. Particularly if a scan shows it was given to the mail carrier who claims they never got the package.

cloud_less

Shiny_Rock
"A pond our investigation The Priority package with tracking#____ is lost. We have thoroughly search of Times Square Facility and the Carriers route and could not located this package. We truly do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused."

I called the post office for an update today. I got this email from "Supv Customer Services" after they told me they could not locate the package. Someone should at least check their writing before sending this out.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
"A pond our investigation The Priority package with tracking#____ is lost. We have thoroughly search of Times Square Facility and the Carriers route and could not located this package. We truly do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused."

I called the post office for an update today. I got this email from "Supv Customer Services" after they told me they could not locate the package. Someone should at least check their writing before sending this out.

I think you should file a police report.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results