shape
carat
color
clarity

Please judge my WF CADs!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
I just got these, and I''m in too much of a state of ''wow, is this mine?!'' to make rational decisions.
5.gif
I don''t know how I feel about the donut, but I didn''t specify another way so that''s my bad. I''m also worried about the halo being too bulky. I know it''s a CAD and it will be more delicate finished, but I''ll post my inspiration pic as well.
caddy654654.jpg

caddy987987.jpg

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
The inspiration, the halo appears to have no metal at all!

ringy98871.JPG

enigma1406

Rough_Rock
Overall I like it!

Will the prongs be more delicate/lower on the finished product? They seem to stick out a bit too much to me but it could just be the CAD.

Also, what did you mean by "the donut?"

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Yes the prongs will be more delicate, all CADs have fat prongs. The donut is right below the stone.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Sunny, I think the key aesthetic difference between your 'inspiration' picture and the CAD is the impact of the center stone size.

Because the center stone is so much larger in the inspiration picture, the melee stones in the halo appear proportionately more delicate/less bulky.

Also, CADS are great, but keep in mind they aren't supposed to show what the finished ring looks like. They are supposed to serve as the architect for what the cast will look like. The cast has to be built with some extra metal because some will be lost during the polishing/finishing of the ring.

Your inspiration picture doesn't show the underside of the ring, so I'm not sure how it's supported structurally. There has to be enough structural support to the piece, and that's what the 'donut' does. You mentioned being unsure about it; is there something specific that concerns you? Is it the shape? Is it something else? Maybe I can help.

flowerladytoo

Shiny_Rock
Oh I think your ring is going to be beautiful! The cads always look chunkier, but I love the proportions on your ring. Can''t wait to see it all finished!
36.gif

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/6/2008 4:26:42 PM
Author: Allison D.
Sunny, I think the key aesthetic difference between your ''inspiration'' picture and the CAD is the impact of the center stone size.

Because the center stone is so much larger in the inspiration picture, the melee stones in the halo appear proportionately more delicate/less bulky.

Also, CADS are great, but keep in mind they aren''t supposed to show what the finished ring looks like. They are supposed to serve as the architect for what the cast will look like. The cast has to be built with some extra metal because some will be lost during the polishing/finishing of the ring.

Your inspiration picture doesn''t show the underside of the ring, so I''m not sure how it''s supported structurally. There has to be enough structural support to the piece, and that''s what the ''donut'' does. You mentioned being unsure about it; is there something specific that concerns you? Is it the shape? Is it something else? Maybe I can help.
Oh I know. That honker is 5cts, whereas mine is a ''meager'' .48!
1.gif

I sent an email back to Joe, I think I may like the donut, but it''s the metal on the halo that concerns me most at this point. You can see it especially along the corners. If it gets shaved away, then I would 1000% happy!

I might be really picky too. It''s hard not to be when the image is blown up in your face.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you seen Gypsy''s halo. Hers is a different type of halo, that doesn''t have metal around the edge. I wonder if for your (lovely!) stone, that might give you the look you want?

The CAD looks great to me. Personally, I prefer bezel-set halos, but as prong-set halos go ... very pretty!

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/6/2008 4:46:40 PM
Author: decodelighted
Have you seen Gypsy''s halo. Hers is a different type of halo, that doesn''t have metal around the edge. I wonder if for your (lovely!) stone, that might give you the look you want?

The CAD looks great to me. Personally, I prefer bezel-set halos, but as prong-set halos go ... very pretty!
Yes! And that''s just what I want. No metal. Well, some metal so the stones don''t fall everywhere. Haha...

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/6/2008 4:50:46 PM
Author: sunnyd
Have you seen Gypsy's halo. Hers is a different type of halo, that doesn't have metal around the edge. I wonder if for your (lovely!) stone, that might give you the look you want?
Yes! And that's just what I want. No metal. Well, some metal so the stones don't fall everywhere. Haha...
She had a couple of threads detailing how she got to that end result with her designer. The first time it came in it wasn't right IIRC. Her threads are illustrated with pictures & stuff -- maybe that will help in coordinating with Whiteflash if you're looking for more of her type of halo. Having trouble finding the threads though: Gypsy is PROLIFIC. The search could take hours!

ETA: And one more ... of the final one!

MMT

Ideal_Rock
I think your ring looks really pretty. I am a fan of the delicate halos but it''s hard to tell with the cad since they tend to look chunkier.

luvmyhalo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/6/2008 4:55:21 PM

Date: 11/6/2008 4:50:46 PM

Yes! And that''s just what I want. No metal. Well, some metal so the stones don''t fall everywhere. Haha...
She had a couple of threads detailing how she got to that end result with her designer. The first time it came in it wasn''t right IIRC. Her threads are illustrated with pictures & stuff -- maybe that will help in coordinating with Whiteflash if you''re looking for more of her type of halo. Having trouble finding the threads though: Gypsy is PROLIFIC. The search could take hours!

ETA: And one more ... of the final one!

Gypsy''s halo is beautiful! The profile is a little more fluid and it appears that the halo is raised up a little higher than yours. Maybe WF can soften the the "V" in the basket a little bit???

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your help! I love Gypsy's halo, I just sent more pics of it. I actually like the V, because with the shank it looks like an M, which is my first initial.
2.gif

Should I have the shank go under the halo? You can't really tell from the front though. Good lord this is hard!

dreaming of the day

Shiny_Rock
I think it looks really nice, but I don''t think it really looks like your inspiration ring. I know the size of the diamond is a contributor, but I think the big difference is the prongs. In the inspiration picture you don''t see any prongs, and on your CAD the prongs are very prominent. Maybe they can do something about that?

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
DOTD, that''s just the CAD. When finished it will be split claw prongs like the pic.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/6/2008 8:50:56 PM
When finished it will be split claw prongs like the pic.
Not that it matters .. but Leon Mege recommends single claws for 1.5 ct & under stones ... as double prongs can backfire on smaller stones (too much prong, defeats the original purpose of double claw prongs). You''ll actually be covering *more* of the stone with double prongs than a single delicate claw prong.

What works/appeals on a Giganto rock doesn''t always translate to more *human* scale rings ... something to consider, depending on if you want to draw attention to the *stone* or to the *prongs*.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
See how on Gypsy''s ring you don''t even notice the single prong? Where doubles wouldn''t quite fit right on the stone....

gypsypix.jpg

The sun is shining

Shiny_Rock
I think it looks great - however, I think the double prongs will overwhelm your stone (not in reference to the CAD, more to the finshed product). Have you thought about singles?

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Hmm...I didn''t even think about that! Good call ladies, thanks.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I see a lot of metal on my WF halo ring so if its something that would bother you its best to sort it out before you get the ring. Remember that custom work can't be returned if you don't like it.

coda72

Brilliant_Rock

I have a halo ring similar to what you are getting, so I thought I would comment. I think the halo itself looks fine, but if you want something with less metal showing, let WF know. The part I was wondering about is the bottom donut at the base of the head. I wanted to make sure you realize that a wedding band probably won''t fit flush with this setting. If that''s what you wanted, that''s fine, but I just wanted to post my observation.

(Here''s a picture of the side view of my ring. If I wanted, I could wear a ring flush with it. Mine is not an engagement ring, but I did want the option of wearing rings with it.)

sideview0101.JPG

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is lovely, I really like it a lot. My only thought would be if the double prongs would be too much for your stone. I love the double prongs, but it might be something to consider. Pointed / claw prongs would be pretty

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions, it''s really helping me work it out in my head! I''m going to leave the donut as is, I do like the look of a non-flush WB so that''s fine. I asked Joe the CAD guy about the prongs, they will be claws and you''re all right, single would be better. Keep em coming if they''re out there, they''re very helpful!

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Just to keep these all in one place, here''s the updated and final version. Now it''s off to be waxed! Thanks for everyone''s help again.
1.gif

cad5454541.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results