shape
carat
color
clarity

Please identify cut of diamond?

emeraldgalB

Rough_Rock
Hello,
I have my grandmother's 1940's engagement ring that I absolutely love! Have always been curious about what type of cut the diamond is. Any idea? Also, approx carat weight? Ring size is 7.5

TIA!
20200628_110829.jpg 20200628_110814.jpg

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
I ti s lovely!
A profile view of the diamond would be helpful along with a clearer close up if you can get it. I find it easier to hold my phone out a little farther and then zoom in instead of holding the camera close up.

emeraldgalB

Rough_Rock
I ti s lovely!
A profile view of the diamond would be helpful along with a clearer close up if you can get it. I find it easier to hold my phone out a little farther and then zoom in instead of holding the camera close up.

Will do in a bit!

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
It's still hard to see clearly but I'm going to guess that it is an OEC...but maybe with a slightly larger table than usual? I see a what looks like a small open culet and flowery facets under the table but that could still be a transitional.

I would not want to guess at ct weight without at least measurements of the top of the diamond. It could only be a guess/estimate at best unless you have the diamond unset.
Is the ring platinum? If you haven't already I would take it to a jeweler to check those fishtail prongs. Some of them look a bit flattened and that can happen with wear. You definitely do not want to lose such a precious heirloom!
It is beautiful.

I hope someone with more experience (and maybe younger eyes!) will chime in if I'm incorrect.

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
I think a late OEC or early transitional cut. Try zooming in with your phone camera. It‘s a very pretty ring!

emeraldgalB

Rough_Rock
It's still hard to see clearly but I'm going to guess that it is an OEC...but maybe with a slightly larger table than usual? I see a what looks like a small open culet and flowery facets under the table but that could still be a transitional.

I would not want to guess at ct weight without at least measurements of the top of the diamond. It could only be a guess/estimate at best unless you have the diamond unset.
Is the ring platinum? If you haven't already I would take it to a jeweler to check those fishtail prongs. Some of them look a bit flattened and that can happen with wear. You definitely do not want to lose such a precious heirloom!
It is beautiful.

I hope someone with more experience (and maybe younger eyes!) will chime in if I'm incorrect.

Thanks so much for your input! Yes, it is platinum. I have had the prongs checked and the jeweler said they were in decent shape, w metal still covering the top of the diamond. Its amazing how well made these rings were- my grandmother wore it daily for 70+ years!

I also have her awesome thick platinum wedding band.feel very lucky.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s beautiful! Agree with others that it looks like an OEC.

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
It‘s an OEC and it‘s a beautiful one!!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful diamond and ring and yes an OEC, that last picture you got was the money shot ;)2

Smith3

Shiny_Rock
Looks like similar to my OEC, did you figure out carat weight?

emeraldgalB

Rough_Rock
Looks like similar to my OEC, did you figure out carat weight?

Hard to accurately say because difficult to guesstimate depth/length of diamond bc of the setting... but seems to be about 5.5 mm across. Im guessing its about
1/2carat.

Smith3

Shiny_Rock
Hard to accurately say because difficult to guesstimate depth/length of diamond bc of the setting... but seems to be about 5.5 mm across. Im guessing its about
1/2carat.
Interesting, I would have guessed a little over a carat. It looks big to me. It’s very pretty!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely OEC and fishtail prong setting! They’ve got a good amount of wear left in them.
It’s a very pretty ring

emeraldgalB

Rough_Rock
Lovely OEC and fishtail prong setting! They’ve got a good amount of wear left in them.
It’s a very pretty ring

Thank you! It makes me happy everytime I look at it- my grandmother loved her rings

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results