shape
carat
color
clarity

Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Butters1

Rough_Rock
Here''s my problem. My engagement ring was made about a year ago. It is a low, four prong claw type setting, knife edge band. The diamond is about 1.5 carats. The shoulders (?) on the prongs come out fairly far. I''ve just had my wedding band made (same jeweler). It has channel set princess diamonds all the way around. They do not fit close together at all. The jeweler suggested filing out a little bit of the prongs so that the wedding band can fit closer. I''m concerned about this. Any thoughts? I''m thinking of having the engagement ring re-set. Thanks in advance!
5.gif

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
It depends on how fussy you are. If you want the rings to match, then buy a set, so you'll have the proper fit. metal color match etc.

Trying to "jap" up two rings that are not designed for each other, will just end up in getting an excuse for possibly what you really want.

Ask the jeweler, if there is a matching wedding band from te same manufacturer who made the engagement ring.

Now obviously I cannot see the ring, but seems to me that a regular of high base head may provide the method to make it REASONABLY match.
The high base make offer more flexibility as the diamond can be set low in it, yet being slightly higher may allow the wedding band to butt up next to the ring in an acceptable fashion.

However, getting a set where the match is as accurate as possible to me seems more like the right way to approach this.

Hope this helps.

Rockdoc

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We just picked up the Flush Fit line because of this reason. Any wedding band will sit flush next to any of their styles and they are many.

Rhino

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Rock Doc. Don't "jerry rig" your set by notching a prong. It can only weaken the prong and endanger the securty of your diamond. Do not follow that jeweler's advise. You are only asking for problems in the long run.

If you love this particular combination together, a goldsmith can put a different mounting head in your e-ring band that with a higher profile. And, I would not want to deal with a jeweler that suggests a poor practice such as the one you mentioned. Definitely, take your set to a different jeweler/goldsmith to have the work done.

If you think the higher profile won't be to your tastes, then consider a different set and have the diamond remounted. Look for a flush fit set like Rhino mentioned.

Good Luck getting your situation resolved!
1.gif

Butters1

Rough_Rock
Do you all think filing out a bit of the prongs to make room for the wedding band is a bad practice and risky? Thank you all SO much for the help.
confused.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
You didn't say if we are talking gold or platinum. I will relate an experience I personally had involving gold prongs.

I lost a stone from a ring when a seemingly, perfectly fine prong broke. I don't know how it happened. That morning when I went to work, the stone was there. Later that morning, I noticed the stone wasn't. My coworkers helped me scour everywhere I'd been those few hours, looking for the gem I'd lost. No good. We didn't find it. I hadn't hit the back of my hand on anything. The ring hadn't rolled around so I would have hit it against the edge of a table or chair back. I didn't snag the prongs on clothing or anything else. The prong just gave at some point and I lost a diamond.

I had just had the ring in for cleaning and inspection about a month before that happened. Fortunately, it was a side stone in that ring, and I was able to get a repair done easily.

I wear my rings almost all the time. Shower, sleep, wash dishes, vacuum, type, etc. But, I don't abuse my rings either. If I'm going to work in the garden, do something involving lifting or anything hard on the hands, I take my rings off.

If a seemingly, perfectly sound prong can go in the blink of an eye, imagine what can happen to a prong that has already been structurally compromised.
2.gif

Butters1

Rough_Rock
Any idea where I can see this "flush fit" line on the internet? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results