shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help with picking one of these 3 diamonds <Urgent>

psengineer

Rough_Rock
Hi,

This is a bit urgent as I plan to propose in Feb. Need some help picking between three diamonds, which one of these would be best for the money? Are they worth it? All three fall within HCA TIC range below 2. Two of them are very similar priced, the 15k one is in D color ranges instead of F. The 11k one is JA ranked TrueHeart but seems to have a lot of surface dots? (Graining? )

8id.jpg $11,000 1.25Caret F VS1 http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.25-carat-f-color-vs1-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-840849
3id.jpg $15,590 1.30Caret D-VS1 http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.30-carat-d-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-322254
7id.jpg $10,730 1.25Caret F-VS1 http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.25-carat-f-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-719480

Thanks in advance!
-J

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Please help with picking one of these 3 diamonds <Urgent

I like the first stone (F VS1) the best of these three. I don't think you have to worry about VS1 clarity, and I am sure it is eyeclean. I do not feel that D color is worth $4500 more in a stone so close to the same size. The first stone is fine, but just know that JA standards for their True Hearts is not necessarily as stringent as some of the other hearts and arrows stone sellers. The stone certainly is ideal cut, though, so that is good. The third idealscope image is not as good as the first. If your budget is up to $15k, I'd honestly go larger in F VS1 before I'd go for the D VS1.

centrifuge41

Rough_Rock

That's true. James Allen True Hearts is not as stringent on cut precision as say, White Flash A Cut Above. But it's generally cheaper too.

If you set your Cut slider to both Ideal and True Hearts (which it seems you've done), you'll find that at James Allen, the best Ideals at James Allen do seem to look better than the not-as-well cut True Hearts. They are overlapping categories.

If you are concerned about the inclusions, just back up from the monitor until the stone appears maybe 2x or 3x what the actual size would be (7mm for 1.25 ct). By backing up instead of setting the slider to 2x or 3x, you will know it's because of the size of the inclusions, rather than the pixel density of your monitor. I bet you'll no longer be able to see the inclusions and will have better confidence that the stone are eye clean.

Some industry experts have said that in all their years of working with round brilliant VS1 graded stones, they've never come across one that's not eye-clean.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

centrifuge41|1452566678|3974540 said:
That's true. James Allen True Hearts is not as stringent on cut precision as say, White Flash A Cut Above. But it's generally cheaper too.

If you set your Cut slider to both Ideal and True Hearts (which it seems you've done), you'll find that at James Allen, the best Ideals at James Allen do seem to look better than the not-as-well cut True Hearts. They are overlapping categories.

If you are concerned about the inclusions, just back up from the monitor until the stone appears maybe 2x or 3x what the actual size would be (7mm for 1.25 ct). By backing up instead of setting the slider to 2x or 3x, you will know it's because of the size of the inclusions, rather than the pixel density of your monitor. I bet you'll no longer be able to see the inclusions and will have better confidence that the stone are eye clean.

Some industry experts have said that in all their years of working with round brilliant VS1 graded stones, they've never come across one that's not eye-clean.

You are very perceptive to realize that some of their stones in the non-True Hearts category are equal in cut quality. I recently bought one of those Excellent cuts second hand and the appraiser sent it to AGS for grading because he felt it was ideal cut and could have been in True Hearts had it been graded by AGS in the first place. It did come back ideal 000. So indeed, a great excellent cut can equal or surpass a True Hearts and can be well priced, too!

psengineer

Rough_Rock

Thank you all for the replies.

diamondseeker2006 said:
I like the first stone (F VS1) the best of these three. I don't think you have to worry about VS1 clarity, and I am sure it is eyeclean. I do not feel that D color is worth $4500 more in a stone so close to the same size. The first stone is fine, but just know that JA standards for their True Hearts is not necessarily as stringent as some of the other hearts and arrows stone sellers. The stone certainly is ideal cut, though, so that is good. The third idealscope image is not as good as the first. If your budget is up to $15k, I'd honestly go larger in F VS1 before I'd go for the D VS1.

My budget is around 15k-18k (18k being my absolute max). (setting + stone..etc). The setting that I am currently eyeing is : http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/channel-set/platinum-bow-tie-channel-set-round-shaped-diamond-engagement-ring--item-812
Which puts the stone+ setting at around 12.5 k (plus tax and such, it's close to 15k?)

I am not sure if i can get a much bigger stone with the my current budget, but if there are any recommendations, it would be greatly appreciated. I plan to propose Feb. 13th. So a bit on a time crunch too.

centrifuge41 said:

Yep, i've done the dial to include both Ideal & true hearts & apply table & depth restrictions. Backing up from the monitor makes the stone look great, I guess it's only view-able under 20x. The first one is rated AGS 0, but w/ comment "internal and surface graining not shown", which is primarily my concern. I wasn't able to see it when I changed it to 2-3x or move it back from the monitor. (Please let me know if I am crazy. I am trying to be careful as it's the biggest purchase I'll make in my life short of a car). But the surface graining seem very visible when zoomed in 20x. (you can see tons of dots. http://www.prosumerdiamonds.com/surface-vs-internal-graining/ and this article is scaring me a lot. )

And in that effect, is the second and third much worse than the 1st in terms of idealscope image return? If i op-ed for the 15k /10.7k, would it be much worse in terms of quality compare to the first?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I don't like the IS image on the third stone at all. You can do better for $15k than the second one, although it's image is okay (I don't like it because it has a large table and I don't love the angles, either). Let me see if I see anything else.

(I edited because I don't like the second one after looking at the GIA report.)

solgen

Brilliant_Rock

I find the IS of the 2nd diamond to be a bit more concerning. Kinda looks like a painted crown.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is beautiful and is a cleaner appearing VS1 but more expensive than the 1.25 F:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.31-carat-f-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-385991

Also beautiful if you really want D color, and I like it much better than the D above because of the table and depth measurements:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.24-carat-d-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-289197

So after seeing these, I prefer them over the others. I would eliminate the second and third ones originally posted. I think these two are better. I'd choose between the 1.25 F or these.

Now, I need to ask you one more question, did she pick out that setting or show you a picture of one like it?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

solgen|1452572303|3974577 said:
I find the IS of the 2nd diamond to be a bit more concerning. Kinda looks like a painted crown.

I agree that it doesn't look as good, plus the stone is a 60/60 and I just would rule that out when there are better stones available.

psengineer

Rough_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1452572424|3974578 said:
This is beautiful and is a cleaner appearing VS1 but more expensive than the 1.25 F:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.31-carat-f-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-385991

Also beautiful if you really want D color, and I like it much better than the D above because of the table and depth measurements:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.24-carat-d-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-289197

So after seeing these, I prefer them over the others. I would eliminate the second and third ones originally posted. I think these two are better. I'd choose between the 1.25 F or these.

Now, I need to ask you one more question, did she pick out that setting or show you a picture of one like it?

She didn't explicitly picked out the setting. I've brought her to Tiffany(which she said she liked the solitaire, but said it's too simple and she wanted something on the sides, but not too extravant, yet unique), showed her Tacori settings (Petite Crescent mostly, which she said looked awesome...but not as many places offer Tacori and the stones together. I tried Good Old Gold, but their diamonds seems to not meet my standard, and those that does are much pricier than JA.) I showed her the setting that i mentioned, and she said that looks cool. (I took that as positive?). She changed a few times on what she likes. She initially stated that she doesn't want a solitaire, but when we went to tiffany, she liked the solitaire. She initially liked the http://www.tiffany.com/engagement/rings/tiffany-soleste-round?origin=engagement&search_params=param+0/0/0/0/0/5 , but then a few weeks later, told me she doens't like it as much anymore. I was thinking to do the bow tie setting I posted earlier w/pink stones?

In terms of the two links posted, they both look beautiful. But requesting another Idealscope would be hard? JA stated they only do 3 for some reason. Is it safe to buy without the image? (I need to make the Feb. 10th trip deadline)

On that note, I was also considering this : http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.32-carat-d-color-vs1-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-559065 but the regular image looks some-what cloudy.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I seriously would only put white diamonds in the setting. White (colorless) goes with everything. I like colored stones for right hand rings, but I would not put them in the engagement ring which is worn daily (usually). One reason I don't love that setting is that when the area close to the stone is wide like that, it has the tendency to make the center stone look smaller. It is better to have the area near the stone thinner. Would you mind if I post a few that I personally prefer over that one? You have given me an idea of her taste, and I think it is possible to find sometime that would be more flattering to the diamond as well as not go out of style. I am at least going to look!

The last stone is very nice as well. I could probably buy the last two I posted without idealscope images if they won't provide more. I'd now say it is between the last D you posted and the two I posted. I am not sure I would pay for the 1.32 D. I'd probably go for the 1.31 F VS1 for myself as I think F is plenty white.

I'll be back in a few minutes with some additional setting suggestions.

psengineer

Rough_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1452577925|3974607 said:
I seriously would only put white diamonds in the setting. White (colorless) goes with everything. I like colored stones for right hand rings, but I would not put them in the engagement ring which is worn daily (usually). One reason I don't love that setting is that when the area close to the stone is wide like that, it has the tendency to make the center stone look smaller. It is better to have the area near the stone thinner. Would you mind if I post a few that I personally prefer over that one? You have given me an idea of her taste, and I think it is possible to find sometime that would be more flattering to the diamond as well as not go out of style. I am at least going to look!

The last stone is very nice as well. I could probably buy the last two I posted without idealscope images if they won't provide more. I'd now say it is between the last D you posted and the two I posted. I am not sure I would pay for the 1.32 D. I'd probably go for the 1.31 F VS1 for myself as I think F is plenty white.

I'll be back in a few minutes with some additional setting suggestions.

Yes! I would love to have some settings suggestions. (I am really not an artistic person. as you can prob tell from my handle. I am an engineer, I build to spec :-p ) . I'll shoot them an email on whether they will allow more idealscopes. And see if it's possible to get more (expedited hopefully) with a small fee.

Thanks for all your help !

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Yeah, don't pick that setting.

Pick this one: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/pave-and-side-stones/lace-platinum-5934p-1 It's a solitaire with something more. Feminine, elegant, and unique in the best way. I wouldn't pay for VS1 clarity in a round, personally. I'd go for a nice F Vs2 if you want colorless. But of the stones you've got there, I would take the F and would not pay for the D. It also has the perfect matching band.

psengineer

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1452580731|3974612 said:

Pick this one: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/pave-and-side-stones/lace-platinum-5934p-1 It's a solitaire with something more. Feminine, elegant, and unique in the best way. I wouldn't pay for VS1 clarity in a round, personally. I'd go for a nice F Vs2 if you want colorless. But of the stones you've got there, I would take the F and would not pay for the D. It also has the perfect matching band.

Thanks Gypsy! That setting does look gorgeous.
I am not sure how I can get the ring from 1 place and diamond from another. Would I need to set it personally / via a trusted jeweller? I am in California / San Mateo area (I am really worried about diamond switching as I heard horror stories about that) This is primarily why I am trying to get everything done on 1 site. Plus, they offer trade ups that's 2x the current value.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It's my pleasure!

I am going to say that they unfortunately do not have the greatest setting selection, and I am having some trouble finding any that I feel really happy about recommending. But I am going to post one for you to consider in case you have to get the setting at JA, because I think in the long run, it will be more timeless than the style you showed me first.

This is actually the one I like the most. It is simple, elegant, yet it has the lovely diamond details near the center stone. The head and prongs are perhaps the best of all the rings I saw. One of the most important things is this one has a comfort fit shank, which means the edges at the base are softened (rounded) rather than having sharp edges. This ring would allow for her to have a beautiful diamond wedding band without the whole thing being overpowering. So I would say this is my first choice and one I could actually consider for myself. It is a delicate ring which will allow the diamond to be the star. If she really liked the more ornate antique style Tacori rings, I am not sure she'll be happy with any that JA has because they have nothing even close to those.

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/platinum-petite-diamond-accent-engagement-ring-item-50319

The only other option would be to buy the diamond at JA and get it set elsewhere, but I understand the time constraints. Many designer settings take 4-6 weeks since they usually custom make the rings for the particular stone.

(Okay, just saw Gyspy's post when I tried to post this. I love the setting she posted and I could probably post around 5 at Brian Gavin that I really love. But it would take a phone call to ask them if they could set your own stone within three weeks. I hate to get into that any further until you know the answer to that question.)

psengineer

Rough_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1452581380|3974616 said:
It's my pleasure!

I am going to say that they unfortunately do not have the greatest setting selection, and I am having some trouble finding any that I feel really happy about recommending. But I am going to post one for you to consider in case you have to get the setting at JA, because I think in the long run, it will be more timeless than the style you showed me first.

This is actually the one I like the most. It is simple, elegant, yet it has the lovely diamond details near the center stone. The head and prongs are perhaps the best of all the rings I saw. One of the most important things is this one has a comfort fit shank, which means the edges at the base are softened (rounded) rather than having sharp edges. This ring would allow for her to have a beautiful diamond wedding band without the whole thing being overpowering. So I would say this is my first choice and one I could actually consider for myself. It is a delicate ring which will allow the diamond to be the star. If she really liked the more ornate antique style Tacori rings, I am not sure she'll be happy with any that JA has because they have nothing even close to those.

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/platinum-petite-diamond-accent-engagement-ring-item-50319

The only other option would be to buy the diamond at JA and get it set elsewhere, but I understand the time constraints. Many designer settings take 4-6 weeks since they usually custom make the rings for the particular stone.

(Okay, just saw Gyspy's post when I tried to post this. I love the setting she posted and I could probably post around 5 at Brian Gavin that I really love. But it would take a phone call to ask them if they could set your own stone within three weeks. I hate to get into that any further until you know the answer to that question.)

Brian Gavin can set the stone for me from another vendor? (sorry, i've never considered this as an option until this was mentioned). I just want a beautiful ring for my girfriend.) Do I send him the diamond directly? I'll try calling them first thing tomorrow morning

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

James Allen's trade up policy isn't nearly as good as Good Old Gold or Whiteflash. I think Brian Gavin's is a little different and could be problematic for you because of your high color and clarity (the last I heard they required two items to be upgraded of these three...color, clarity, size). But the first two have lifetime trade up full value of the diamond for any amount higher. So if you bought a $13k diamond now, you could buy an $18k or $20k diamond later without having to spend double the amount. All of them have better settings.

The problem with buying stone and setting from different places is the time factor. Normally if we send a stone to a vendor to set, we send it USPS Registered Mail because that is the safest way for a regular person to send a valuable item insured. But it can take a week or two to reach the destination (probably not bad at this time of year). The only other option is if the jeweler would allow you to pay for their overnight mailing label, and some will do it and others will not, especially when you didn't buy the stone from them.

I wish we could tell all guys that they really need to start the ring process at least 2-3 months before planning to propose! That way they have every option open regarding buying a stone and getting the perfect setting!

Gypsy and I have very similar taste and agree on diamond cut, etc. But I am one of the few around here who prefers VS1 clarity for my own ring! I just like high clarity to go with my beautiful cut (but I won't pay for VVS+)!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

psengineer|1452581649|3974619 said:
diamondseeker2006|1452581380|3974616 said:
It's my pleasure!

Brian Gavin can set the stone for me from another vendor? (sorry, i've never considered this as an option until this was mentioned). I just want a beautiful ring for my girfriend.) Do I send him the diamond directly? I'll try calling them first thing tomorrow morning

Some of the vendors we know of here are jewelers and do sell settings whether the stone comes from them or not. You would have the diamond sent to you and then to BG, I think. I do not think JA will send the stone to a third party. But you would be losing maybe a week by the time the stone got to you and then to BG if he'd allow you to use his shipping label. You need to tell whoever sets it that you need it a few days before the actual proposal. Do NOT tell any of them you need it by the day before. That could be a disaster.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The good news is that it looks like the 1.31 F VS1 is in their NY office as it says it could arrive by Wed. if you get the order placed in the morning.

I am up way too late (eastern time), so I will check in tomorrow and see what you learned from BG! There are others if that doesn't work.

psengineer

Rough_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1452582113|3974622 said:
James Allen's trade up policy isn't nearly as good as Good Old Gold or Whiteflash. I think Brian Gavin's is a little different and could be problematic for you because of your high color and clarity (the last I heard they required two items to be upgraded of these three...color, clarity, size). But the first two have lifetime trade up full value of the diamond for any amount higher. So if you bought a $13k diamond now, you could buy an $18k or $20k diamond later without having to spend double the amount. All of them have better settings.

The problem with buying stone and setting from different places is the time factor. Normally if we send a stone to a vendor to set, we send it USPS Registered Mail because that is the safest way for a regular person to send a valuable item insured. But it can take a week or two to reach the destination (probably not bad at this time of year). The only other option is if the jeweler would allow you to pay for their overnight mailing label, and some will do it and others will not, especially when you didn't buy the stone from them.

I wish we could tell all guys that they really need to start the ring process at least 2-3 months before planning to propose! That way they have every option open regarding buying a stone and getting the perfect setting!

Gypsy and I have very similar taste and agree on diamond cut, etc. But I am one of the few around here who prefers VS1 clarity for my own ring! I just like high clarity to go with my beautiful cut (but I won't pay for VVS+)!

I see. Thank you for the information! I think in this case, depending on the response I get tomorrow, I'll consider my options.
I do like the JA setting that you helped picked earlier! Worse comes to worse, I'll propose w/ what I have from JA. If she doesn't like it, we will return it, and I'll let her pick her setting.

i will take a look at WhiteFlash in the meantime, as Brian Gavin diamonds seems a bit on the pricier end. (I understand that most of these are guaranteed quality as it's part of the signature/advanced selections. I saw 2 that fit my criteria going for around 16k at around 1.2 Carets)

psengineer

Rough_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1452582643|3974628 said:
The good news is that it looks like the 1.31 F VS1 is in their NY office as it says it could arrive by Wed. if you get the order placed in the morning.

I am up way too late (eastern time), so I will check in tomorrow and see what you learned from BG! There are others if that doesn't work.

Thank you again for your help! i'll update in the morning!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

psengineer|1452581104|3974614 said:

I am not sure how I can get the ring from 1 place and diamond from another. Would I need to set it personally / via a trusted jeweller? I am in California / San Mateo area (I am really worried about diamond switching as I heard horror stories about that) This is primarily why I am trying to get everything done on 1 site. Plus, they offer trade ups that's 2x the current value.
I live in San Mateo. I can refer you to several trustworthy jewelers.in the area. You can also just send your stone to BGD. All you have to do is get it insured before hand. Its an easy process.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

BGD just needs the lab report to start making the setting they don't need the stone s it is a round. You send them that and payment/deposit whatever and tbey start. Then they get the stone and set it into the setting and send it back to you all completed. That's the way I'd go.

psengineer

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1452590018|3974642 said:
psengineer|1452581104|3974614 said:

I live in San Mateo. I can refer you to several trustworthy jewelers.in the area. You can also just send your stone to BGD. All you have to do is get it insured before hand. Its an easy process.

Thanks Gypsy! How do I get the diamond insured? Can I insure it without having it in possession? or do I need to take it to an appraiser first, get a report, find a insurance company & get a quote & then have it insured? Do you have any jeweler/insurer you would recommend in the area? ( I live closer to Millbrae/Burlingame area, but anywhere not extremely far away is fine)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

You need.reciept and lab report for .stone.and reciept of setting with descripton information. Both receipt s are.needed. BGD will be familiar with the process.and make sure you have what you need if you explain you.are getting insurance before setting.

Jewelers.Mutual is the insurer. and it's and online 10 minute process. Then once ring is done you can, if you want to get it appraised and upload that. And yes, Erik or Mia at Joe Escobar in Campbell can do the appraisal for you when it is done.

Alternatively you can get the.stone and take.it to Joe Escobar who has a fantastic selection of settings including Vatche and pick a setting and have them set it. Again, you'd get the stone insured first.

Lots.of options for you. And Joe E will let you take pictures of thier settings. If you need a.second opinion.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If BG cannot do the setting in about 2 weeks, then I like this one:

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3609144.htm

The advantage is it is a nice size at the outset, but if you ever want to upgrade, you have that full amount (minus their shipping cost) towards the new diamond, and no restrictions on what the diamond is, as long as it costs any amount more and is in-house.

So it looks like you'll be buying a diamond today! I will check back in to see which one so we can help you narrow down the settings!

psengineer

Rough_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1452582643|3974628 said:

I managed to get the idealscope for the 1.31 F VS1. Do you have anything negative you see about this? It seems to have a bit more whites than the ones i initially picked (but no leakage perceived) Based on input from JA - It has stronger crown performance than the center.
385991id_0.jpg
I am calling Brian Gavin now.

psengineer

Rough_Rock

BG can do the setting in the time frame if I get it moving quickly.
I told them the date is Feb. 8th/prior. My proposal date is 02/13. My flight is Feb.10th.
Now, I just need to decide on which of the diamonds to get.

Would you still recommend the 1.31 F later or the original 1.25-F TrueHeart I picked? or buy the white flash and stretch my budget a bid the 1.365?

To confirm, white flash offer buy back/upgrade if i don't get the setting from them correct? in that case, I may be willing to spend the extra & buy it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

psengineer|1452619179|3974805 said:
BG can do the setting in the time frame if I get it moving quickly.
I told them the date is Feb. 8th/prior. My proposal date is 02/13. My flight is Feb.10th.
Now, I just need to decide on which of the diamonds to get.

Would you still recommend the 1.31 F later or the original 1.25-F TrueHeart I picked? or buy the white flash and stretch my budget a bid the 1.365?

To confirm, white flash offer buy back/upgrade if i don't get the setting from them correct? in that case, I may be willing to spend the extra & buy it.

If you buy the stone from WF, by all means get the setting from them, too. I like the WF stone and it is top of the line cut. You only needed to go to another setting jeweler if you buy the JA stone. The last JA stone looks fine (you shouldn't be able to detect the difference in the centers). It looks like it has brighter lighting that some of the others. I was also concerned about the clarity of the 1.25 JA True Hearts.

To answer your question, yes, a WF diamond can be upgraded regardless of where the setting comes from (although I recommend buying their settings). I think they also have some kind of partial upgrade policy now on settings, but I am not sure of those details.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results