carat
color
clarity

Please help with picking one of these 3 diamonds <Urgent>

ssgg

Rough_Rock
Re: Please help with picking one of these 3 diamonds <Urgent

good luck on your quest.

Btw, most likely she knows exactly what she wants but she doesn't want to say directly.

"the ring is the only thing she really wanted" because that is the only thing that is real and comparable if any of her extended family ever ask about the ring. ( yes some do ask about size, colour and clarity. whether you tell is another matter.)

psengineer

Rough_Rock

ssgg|1452661651|3975247 said:
good luck on your quest.

Btw, most likely she knows exactly what she wants but she doesn't want to say directly.

"the ring is the only thing she really wanted" because that is the only thing that is real and comparable if any of her extended family ever ask about the ring. ( yes some do ask about size, colour and clarity. whether you tell is another matter.)

I agree. I think she knows exactly what she wants, but wants me to pick it as she wants it to be a surprise.

psengineer

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1452661024|3975242 said:

diamondseeker2006 said:
I'd focus on the WF ones and not the designer ones because those will take longer, probably.

These are the ones I posted earlier. Since she thought the BG set was too ornate, perhaps she'd like a more classic pave solitaire. Honestly, I think any of these three will be gorgeous even if you surprise her.

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/legato-sleek-line-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-1120.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/elena-diamond-engagement-ring-1363.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/harmony-diamond-engagement-ring-890.htm

Thanks Gypsy & Diamondseeker2006, I'll try these tomorrow morning when she wakes. Thank you for sticking with me through this process. I really appreciate your inputs. It looks like the legato-sleek-line was recommended twice, I'll try that first. I truly think it's difficult to be unique but clean, as many styles seem similar. But the choices you have came up with were all beautiful and much better than anything I've came up with myself.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

BGD is in Houston like WF. So it's just a courier to get the stone from one place to the other.

WF also has a great custom bench. SO if she likes one of the three stones (baguettes or pears) they can do something classic like that in house, and that may be worth it.

Let's narrow down what she absolutely likes. And then we'll work out logistics.

Why is there such a tight timeline again?

psengineer

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1452663109|3975258 said:
BGD is in Houston like WF. So it's just a courier to get the stone from one place to the other.

WF also has a great custom bench. SO if she likes one of the three stones (baguettes or pears) they can do something classic like that in house, and that may be worth it.

Let's narrow down what she absolutely likes. And then we'll work out logistics.

Why is there such a tight timeline again?

I started quite earlier. I have two other posts asking about diamond selection back in December. but i couldn't find anything I like and we were on vacation in another country til January. I am proposing when we are in Hawaii in Feb. I already got both the parent's blessing. (I leave the 10th). I want to try to get it ASAP as I understand there may be delays. I am even willing to go as far as pay extra for expedite in case it doesn't finish on time.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Okay. I missed all that.

psengineer

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1452664354|3975268 said:
Okay. I missed all that.

Thank you again Gypsy, i'll update tomorrow morning. going to go to bed now to wake up early for eastern time.
I am actually talking to the WF representative. They are really nice & accommodating.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I was going to say the Legato Sleekline is probably the best option. You said she liked Tiffany but wanted a little more to it. That is a very elegant and timeless setting. I don't see how anyone could dislike it. It is classic and beautiful and will be a fitting setting for the absolutely gorgeous diamond you chose! I just wish I could see it as few people here buy E color stones! :love:

If you order that setting, please tell them to make nice claw prongs. Also, get it in platinum.

psengineer

Rough_Rock

Of all the ones I've shown her, she likes http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/tacori-2616rd-classic-crescent-pave-half-eternity-diamond-engagement-ring-2566.htm (This one looks busy to me...I don't know why she likes it more than the BG. )

She also liked http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/legato-sleek-line-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-422.htm . (But said the diamond looks huge compare to the band in the picture and seem out of balanced.)

Unfortunately, the tacori she liked above can't set with the 1.365. But they offer this, which is simliar that does support 1.365. I think, to play on the safe side, since she's consistently had a tendency to go for Tacori Styles, I'll probably end up paying for this.
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/tacori-41-3-rd-sculpted-crescent-lace-diamond-engagement-ring-2724.htm

The styles are similar enough to the first one ? What do you think? Note, these are all just pictures, she has no idea where these are from. Is 18k White Gold terribly hard to maintain? WF said they can make my deadline w/ 4.25 ring size. But no platinum available.

Thanks,
-J

psengineer

Rough_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1452700160|3975407 said:
I was going to say the Legato Sleekline is probably the best option. You said she liked Tiffany but wanted a little more to it. That is a very elegant and timeless setting. I don't see how anyone could dislike it. It is classic and beautiful and will be a fitting setting for the absolutely gorgeous diamond you chose! I just wish I could see it as few people here buy E color stones! :love:

If you order that setting, please tell them to make nice claw prongs. Also, get it in platinum.

I will post a picture when it arrive :)

ssgg

Rough_Rock

nice one :clap: you finally managed to squeeze it out of her.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

psengineer|1452707963|3975485 said:
Of all the ones I've shown her, she likes http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/tacori-2616rd-classic-crescent-pave-half-eternity-diamond-engagement-ring-2566.htm (This one looks busy to me...I don't know why she likes it more than the BG. )

She also liked http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/legato-sleek-line-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-422.htm . (But said the diamond looks huge compare to the band in the picture and seem out of balanced.)

Unfortunately, the tacori she liked above can't set with the 1.365. But they offer this, which is simliar that does support 1.365. I think, to play on the safe side, since she's consistently had a tendency to go for Tacori Styles, I'll probably end up paying for this.
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/tacori-41-3-rd-sculpted-crescent-lace-diamond-engagement-ring-2724.htm

The styles are similar enough to the first one ? What do you think? Note, these are all just pictures, she has no idea where these are from. Is 18k White Gold terribly hard to maintain? WF said they can make my deadline w/ 4.25 ring size. But no platinum available.

Thanks,
-J

Most Tacori settings can be ordered and made for any size stone. Did you ask WF about that? They don't show every setting on their website, but they can order anything from Tacori. Many of the settings come in large, medium,or small scale to fit a wise range of stones, but the heads/prongs are made for the specific size stone. Any setting should be able to be made in platinum. Please don't go by what is on the WF site. They can order anything on the Tacori site and they can make it to fit your diamond. The big question is if Tacori can complete a ring in 2-3 weeks??? I am not sure they make them that fast, but I seem to recall form the past that there may have been an expedited option if you pay extra.

See, platinum available and made for any size stone beginning at a half carat:

http://www.tacori.com/2616rd65

If you go with the Legato Sleekline, I will tell you that the stone you picked is not too big for that setting. When you see it in real life, it is totally in proportion. You could put a 3 ct stone in that setting. A wider shank makes the stone look smaller, plus wide shanks are not timeless and are not really in style now.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Basically you need to tell WF your first choice setting is the Tacori 2616rd and you want to order it in platinum, ring size xxx, and for the 7.1mm diamond. Ask the cost and how long it will take and if there is an expedited option. You need to order whatever setting today.

(I don't like the sculpted crescent ring at all. The head is WAY too high! Stick with the one she likes!)

psengineer

Rough_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1452710781|3975515 said:
Basically you need to tell WF your first choice setting is the Tacori 2616rd and you want to order it in platinum, ring size xxx, and for the 7.1mm diamond. Ask the cost and how long it will take and if there is an expedited option. You need to order whatever setting today.

(I don't like the sculpted crescent ring at all. The head is WAY too high! Stick with the one she likes!)

What they told me yesterday was they aren't making new orders to Tacori and they are going off what they have on hand. I can double verify. I will try to let them know the 2616rd is my preference. and I want Plat. I'll call them now.

IN case I get a no, is white gold bad?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

psengineer|1452711707|3975522 said:

What they told me yesterday was they aren't making new orders to Tacori and they are going off what they have on hand. I can double verify. I will try to let them know the 2616rd is my preference. and I want Plat. I'll call them now.

Ah, that may mean they are discontinuing Tacori. Hmmmm. Please don't go with the sculpted crescent ring. That thing is 9mm high.

You know, if I were buying a ring as expensive as Tacori, I just wouldn't get anything but platinum. Gold can wear away over time and prongs and the bottom shank can wear down. Plus they have to be plated and I think antique style rings look SO much better over time in platinum.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have one more idea since she likes Tacori. Ask them if they can add milgrain to the shank of the Legato sleekline where the diamonds are.

psengineer

Rough_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1452711965|3975526 said:
psengineer|1452711707|3975522 said:

Ah, that may mean they are discontinuing Tacori. Hmmmm. Please don't go with the sculpted crescent ring. That thing is 9mm high.

You know, if I were buying a ring as expensive as Tacori, I just wouldn't get anything but platinum. Gold can wear away over time and prongs and the bottom shank can wear down. Plus they have to be plated and I think antique style rings look SO much better over time in platinum.

I understand. I was thinking, I'll make sure I get a ring first (Can't go in w/out one). I agree it looks a bit high.
What is the usual height? (i have no idea) I'll ask about the milgrains.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Probably would want 7.5 mm or lower on that size diamond. 9mm is higher than my 2.3 ct stone is (8.5mm), and my diamond is set medium height for its size).

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I agree with Diamondseeker.

Go for the Legato. With the stone you are looking for it isn't going to look proportionately large. Get the milgrain on the shank of it.

I think once she sees it in person, she'll love it.

psengineer

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1452720512|3975597 said:

Go for the Legato. With the stone you are looking for it isn't going to look proportionately large. Get the milgrain on the shank of it.

They have the tacori in plat. I just asked them to ask tacori for the head. and how long that will take.
They can do the milgrain for 1900. But non-refundable. (cause it's semi-custom.)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

psengineer|1452723675|3975643 said:

They have the tacori in plat. I just asked them to ask tacori for the head. and how long that will take.
They can do the milgrain for 1900. But non-refundable. (cause it's semi-custom.)

I would not want a head removed from an existing Tacori ring. That is recipe for trouble. Plus, what size is her ring finger again? If it was in the 4 range, I would not want them sizing down a 6-6.5 stock setting that much. But do you mean they have the correct ring that she wanted? I need to look back at that one to see if that is even a good idea to replace the head.

No, absolutely this is not a ring that I would even consider changing the head. They have to order the whole thing with the right head and ring size from Tacori or go with the Legato sleekline with milgrain. Otherwise, set in plain solitaire and reset in Tacori after the trip.

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/tacori-2616rd-classic-crescent-pave-half-eternity-diamond-engagement-ring-2566.htm

psengineer

Rough_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1452725536|3975652 said:
psengineer|1452723675|3975643 said:

I would not want a head removed from an existing Tacori ring. That is recipe for trouble. Plus, what size is her ring finger again? If it was in the 4 range, I would not want them sizing down a 6-6.5 stock setting that much. But do you mean they have the correct ring that she wanted? I need to look back at that one to see if that is even a good idea to replace the head.

No, absolutely this is not a ring that I would even consider changing the head. They have to order the whole thing with the right head and ring size from Tacori or go with the Legato sleekline with milgrain. Otherwise, set in plain solitaire and reset in Tacori after the trip.

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/tacori-2616rd-classic-crescent-pave-half-eternity-diamond-engagement-ring-2566.htm

I think I like your last idea. Set in legato sleekline w/ milgrain first, and reset in tacori after.
Tacori is projecting 4 weeks. (they are ordering the whole thing from tacori custom made $4100.). Which push the shipdate to Feb.11th.
This works theoretically. cause i can pick it up in Hawaii. BUt not sure if i feel comfortable taking teh chances for Feb. 13th.
Any thoughts?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I'd do Legato, no milgrain. So it's returnable.

If she wants it changed you can return it.

Or if she loves it but wants milgrain, it's a finish detail they can add later.

psengineer

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1452733804|3975691 said:
I'd do Legato, no milgrain. So it's returnable.

If she wants it changed you can return it.

Or if she loves it but wants milgrain, it's a finish detail they can add later.

Thanks Gypsy! I am finalizing right now with the Legato as recommended. If she really wants the Tacori after, we will change it.

And thanks everyone again! Especially diamondseeker2006 for helping w/ in this journey. I feel like I've learned so much from you. It has been a hectic few days, but I am glad I am finally ready to finish this.

Thanks,
-J

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This has been a fun journey to be on with you, and we are delighted with the beautiful choices you are making! I think this is the best decision to not have a disaster and be worried up until the last minute. The Legato can always be sent back quickly for milgrain if she loves it enough to keep it! If she wants the Tacori, you can order it immediately from Hawaii so they can begin making it! Win, win!

Now we are counting on you to come back with pictures of the ring and a report about the proposal!!!! :appl:

psengineer

Rough_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1452737575|3975713 said:
This has been a fun journey to be on with you, and we are delighted with the beautiful choices you are making! I think this is the best decision to not have a disaster and be worried up until the last minute. The Legato can always be sent back quickly for milgrain if she loves it enough to keep it! If she wants the Tacori, you can order it immediately from Hawaii so they can begin making it! Win, win!

Now we are counting on you to come back with pictures of the ring and a report about the proposal!!!! :appl:

I'll be back w/ picture of the ring in 8 days. I'll take the picture w/ a decent camera :) proposal is mostly planned now(camera, friends, champagne, signs, chocolate, celebration after/restaurants) just waiting on the ring to arrive. Will be back with updates. :)

Thanks again!

ssgg

Rough_Rock

congratulations :dance:

looking forward to hearing great news from you

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium

You made some really beautiful and smart choices. I can't wait to see photos, I hope she loves it! And if she wants the Tacori, it won't be a problem and you can do it right. :appl:

psengineer

Rough_Rock

I am back with an update from Hawaii:) . She said YES!
I'll try to submit a post to howheasked.com to document the proposal.
It took place in Hawaii!

Here are a few high quality pictures as promised of the ring as taken by my engagement photographer Angie and WF along w/ pics of the proposal location.

Thanks again everyone!
rock_1.jpg
rock1_3.jpg
rock2_0.jpg
ring_wf.jpg
ring_wf2.jpg
proposalspot1.jpg
propose2.jpg
propose3.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results