shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help with picking one of these 3 diamonds <Urgent>

psengineer

Rough_Rock
Re: Please help with picking one of these 3 diamonds <Urgent

Are there any setting on WF you would recommend?
I really like the BG setting

And to ensure my understanding, when you say the last JA stone, you meant the 1.31 F right?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Get thr JA stkne and BGD setting. WF has some nice.settings but nothing similar to that one.

She's going to love.it!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Whiteflash carries the Tacori Petite crescent collection. You mentioned your girlfriend loved that one so I'd consider going back to a design she loved. In my opinion, you may want to enlist the help of her sister/cousin or best friend ASAP so that you can be sure the setting you select is something she would love. From the selections you mentioned she liked, including the Tiffany, she has premium tastes. Whiteflash carries numerous other "high quality design" ring setting brands that you can pick from. I love the Ritani French cut halos for example, which resemble the Tiffany halo your GF liked. So it's really a matter of getting the setting that would speak to her and not a redo setting. OR, perhaps Whiteflash would set the diamond in a temp setting like the ever popular Vatche U-113 solitaire, then you both could set the diamond together, to her tastes either custom or pre-made. I'd personally put the diamond in a temp setting that could be returned if you aren't fairly sure of her dream setting. These are just my opinions...

Regarding Joe Escobar Jewelry which Gypsy mentioned. If you look up Joe Escobar in the Pricescope search bar, you'll see they do beautiful custom work. They also carry nice brand settings. That's another option for a setting if you visit Joe Escobar for a diamond appraisal-- check out what they've got and what they have done custom...

Update, I do love BGD settings, and the one Gypsy pointed out is intricate and detailed like a Tacori. So if you feel certain she'd like it the "one stop shop" is a good idea, given your time constraints. The question, however, is meshing her personal tastes which seem to be evolving... to the setting you select...

victorian10

Rough_Rock

http://www.michaelcfina.com/jewelry/engagement-rings/settings-only/tacori-platinum--diamond-petite-setting-HT-2546-RD-65.html??

Here's the petite Tacori she wants... Michael C Fina is no longer carrying Tacori and all pieces in stock are 70% off...this platinum setting ends up being 1488. I got my wedding band from this sale. I even had a Tacori jeweler locally send it to Tacori to be sized with zero problems! I pick diamond 3... GIA certified, no fluorescence. Surface graining is not an issue here... This is excellent polish with VS1 grade... it's nothing or it wouldn't be a VS1. Plenty of inclusions are not visible even in VS2 that plots look super busy. I have a VS1 and an eye clean SI2... both are XXX and one is a G and one is an H... my H GIA looks like the D,E, and F's at other jewelers. I see no color, unless rainbow is a color!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

psengineer|1452632535|3974940 said:
Are there any setting on WF you would recommend?
I really like the BG setting

And to ensure my understanding, when you say the last JA stone, you meant the 1.31 F right?

Yes, the 1.31 F.

The JA stone and BG setting are fine. Downside is that you have to spend double to upgrade the diamond, so that should be a big consideration as you choose between the two diamonds.

These are some of the popular WF settings in platinum. I do not think you have time to order any designer settings like Tacori at this point. They do have several designers, but I am thinking their in-house settings (which are fine quality) would be faster. Scroll down to the bottom of each page and you can see examples of the rings they have made in each setting.

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/legato-sleek-line-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-1120.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/elena-diamond-engagement-ring-1363.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/harmony-diamond-engagement-ring-890.htm

victorian10

Rough_Rock

By the way, Michael C fina sent my Tacori next day and they will size it. They polish it and it looks brand new! Anyone can set your diamond in it locally same day.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

victorian10|1452634617|3974954 said:
http://www.michaelcfina.com/jewelry/engagement-rings/settings-only/tacori-platinum--diamond-petite-setting-HT-2546-RD-65.html??

Here's the petite Tacori she wants... Michael C Fina is no longer carrying Tacori and all pieces in stock are 70% off...this platinum setting ends up being 1488. I got my wedding band from this sale. I even had a Tacori jeweler locally send it to Tacori to be sized with zero problems! I pick diamond 3... GIA certified, no fluorescence. Surface graining is not an issue here... This is excellent polish with VS1 grade... it's nothing or it wouldn't be a VS1. Plenty of inclusions are not visible even in VS2 that plots look super busy. I have a VS1 and an eye clean SI2... both are XXX and one is a G and one is an H... my H GIA looks like the D,E, and F's at other jewelers. I see no color, unless rainbow is a color!

This setting likely would not work. I am not very much in favor of sizing rings with pave on the shank because sizing can loosen the pave stones. I am not sure if I recall him saying her ring size, but even if it can be sized, it would need to only be one size or less difference. The other issue is that many stock settings are for a 1 ct stone, and he is buying a 1.3 ct stone, so it will not fit in that setting if it is a standard 1 ct. head.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

victorian10|1452634617|3974954 said:

There is no way to tell online which rings they still have in stock and it doesn't tell you that they are on sale. There is also no way to tell what size head the sample rings have unless they are all standard 1 ct size, although they normally have some larger ones, too, from what I have seen.

victorian10

Rough_Rock

I understand about the sizing on pave. I believe these are 6 1/2. We had mine sent directly to Tacori and it wasn't a problem at all.... mainly because the stones don't go all the way around and we weren't taking it from a 6 1/2 to an 8 or a 4. These settings are 70% off now... I got mine when they were 50% off... you can't find that anywhere... this was just a suggestion I guess because I'm so excited about it and a little obsessed with rings right now. I wouldn't want fluorescence and I wouldn't want a lower half pavilion being any higher than 43. crown angle 34-35.5 pavilion angle 40.6-40.8. I have two diamond of similar size, all excellent cuts, both have hearts & arrows although they weren't marketed as such and they look exactly alike in terms of sparkle, fire, etc... one is a 56 table with 34.5 ca and 40.8 pa, 61.something depth and 43 lower half... my other is a 58 table with a 34.5 ca and 40.6 pa which gives it a 42.5 lower half. They look pretty identical even though the 56 table is a VS1 G color... we spent almost half less on the 58 table b/c H color and SI2 clarity.. I wouldn't recommend the majority of SI2s, I worked hard online to hunt it down. Point is the 56 table was over 11 grand and the 58 table SI2 was 7,000ish... If you have X amount of money to spend, don't sink it all into clarity because you can't see a lot of inclusions... some are clear, not black. My SI2 looks crystal clear and flawless to the naked eye. When we were looking at Tiffanys, their sales agent told us they guess on color when they get new ones in and cant tell H from a D. She said herself that she would go H and bigger b/c you can't tell the difference on an excellent cut with a GIA certification (which they no longer do). Tiffanys had I color that I believe I could see a hint of color in their 1 ct and above but nothing smaller and that may have been in my head. Cut is everything as is a GIA cert.

victorian10

Rough_Rock

It changes daily so you do have to call... that's what I did. I believe they are all 6 1/2. I know they still have a lot left because we were talking to their sales agent about my fiance's wedding band.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

psengineer

Rough_Rock

Thank you everyone!

I've decided to get the setting the Gypsy pointed out.
I really like the ones on WF also, but they don't seem as unique as the BGD one.
BGD mentioned to me that the ring will be difficult to resize given its design. My girlfriend's ringsize is around 4-4.25.
They stated they can get it to me by Feb.4th/ 5th as long as I provide them the specs first and they start productions early. So the stone just need to be set when it arrives.

I really prefer VS1. I understand they are all eye clean (mostly) and the VS2 pointed out earlier on BGD is very nice.
Unfortunately, it probably won't be mind-clean enough, as the GF stated she wanted something that's as close to the top as possible . So i have a slight preference toward higher inclusion grade. (If it was up to me, I would have totally gotten the VS2 and have everything done on BGD or even some of the SIs that are eye-clean & well-cut)

The settings on WF are very nice too. But I think she will like the BGD one much better. (It's very similar to the tacori settings, and she loves being more unique).

With that, I'll likely settle on the 1.31 F. Personally, i like the 1.365 on WF, but I am not sure if I am willing to pay the 5k premium. Is the light performance substantially better? Based on what I gather, it won't make much of a difference? Though I do like the sound of True Heart, is it really bad if i purchase the WF diamond & the BGD setting? (is that not worth it?)

Thanks again everyone!
-J

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

No. Not 5k better. Definitely not.

Can you tell me more about your lady? What is her cultural background. And what exactly did she say about the specs being 'near the top'?

psengineer

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1452654613|3975174 said:
No. Not 5k better. Definitely not.

Can you tell me more about your lady? What is her cultural background. And what exactly did she say about the specs being 'near the top'?

She's Chinese, a friend just hinted her the BGD setting. Unfortunately she hates it....T_T
She like the Tacori but not the BGD T_T. But they look so similar to me T_T.
She started by saying she wanted IF, until she realizes that's a bit unrealistics.
I think I am most likely getting the 1.365 from WF. (cause I like the trade up policy & it's actually just 3k more than the 1.31 F VS1). (i forgot the base is 13k and not 11k).

I am just now in desperate need of a setting she will love.
Also showed her the http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/platinum-petite-diamond-accent-engagement-ring-item-50319..... She says this is okay.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Okay if she's Chinese then yes, clarity is going to matter to her. Can you afford the Tacori setting she wants?

Would that work?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It's only about $2400-2500 more. Plus it is a color grade higher and a tiny bit higher in weight. I actually think that price differential is not bad considering it is a higher cut quality and a color grade higher.

Gah, just reread that she doesn't like the BG setting. Show her friends the WF settings quick.

I am doubtful that Tacori can do one that fast, but ask WF.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

psengineer

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1452655850|3975200 said:
Okay if she's Chinese then yes, clarity is going to matter to her. Can you afford the Tacori setting she wants?

Would that work?

I think, at this point, I would be willing to pay for the Tacori or anything similar. just need to know where to get it & where would set it in time.

diamondseeker2006 said:
It's only about $2400-2500 more. Plus it is a color grade higher and a tiny bit higher in weight. I actually think that differential is not bad considering it is a higher cut quality and a color grade higher.

I love the BG setting. You will need to get the matching wedding band, too, before the wedding. I would ask them to please make them with a small sizing area at the base. Very few women wear the same ring size for a lifetime. I very well may need to be sized one or more times. I would not buy it if they cannot add a sizing area. They need to alter that design to add that for everyone.

I agree. I am going to drop the extra to get the WF. (there goes my next paycheck ;-) )

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

My daughter has the Vatche Caroline and that basket makes it almost impossible for her to clean the diamond. So I am a little hesitant about that one.

Whiteflash carries Tacori. You just need to find out if she likes any of the WF settings in case Tacori can't make a ring that fast.

psengineer

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1452656129|3975204 said:
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/caroline-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-by-vatche-682.htm Ask her if she likes this.

I feel for you. I really do.

Is there a reason she's just not partnering with you on this so she can get exactly what she wants? It's really the best idea.

I'

T_T I don't know. we've had this conversation a few times. Everytime, she seems to like a different style. She would point something she likes, and then not like it a few days later. I've asked her what she likes, she tells me to figure it out T_T. lol

The one I've consistently heard her said she like was Tacori. But i've showed her the petite crescent series & the danetela series, she says she likes a few, but wouldn't tell me which one of them she likes.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Can you get her friends to have her show them rings she likes on the WF site???

psengineer

Rough_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1452656526|3975211 said:

There is also another problem w/ the tacori line on WF. Their caret ranges won't fit the 1.365. That and they don't have anything in the size 4.25 ranges.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

psengineer|1452656925|3975217 said:

There is also another problem w/ the tacori line on WF. Their caret ranges won't fit the 1.365. That and they don't have anything in the size 4.25 ranges.

Yes, Tacori is custom ordered in the exact ring size and the right size to fit the stone. I think the issue will be that it takes a few weeks to get one made. That is the proper way to make any ring, really, other than plain stock settings. WF has their own line and those probably can be done faster. That is why you need to run the others by her. All designer rings are custom ordered to fit the stone and made in the right ring size.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

There is also another problem w/ the tacori line on WF. Their caret ranges won't fit the 1.365.
That's not a problem. Each Tacori is custom built to stone.

Frankly your lady sounds unreasonable. But that's your problem. Not mine. You are the one proposing marriage to her.

Plus I have a strong suspicion the only reason she likes the Tacori is the brand name.That's why she's not consistent across styles and dislikes or is lukewarm to anything that isn't branded. She sounds like a brand name girl. In which case I'm going to recommend you pick the cheapest Tacori that fits your stone and propose with that.

She'll probably reset the stone anyway.

psengineer

Rough_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1452657273|3975219 said:

Yes, Tacori is custom ordered in the exact ring size and the right size to fit the stone. I think the issue will be that it takes a few weeks to get one made. That is the proper way to make any ring, really, other than plain stock settings. WF has their own line and those probably can be done faster. That is why you need to run the others by her. All designer rings are custom ordered to fit the stone and made in the right ring size.

Since she says the JA one that you picked earlier in the post was okay, is there anything on the WF site that would be a suitable option? (worse comes to worse,i will propose, and have her pick what she likes after & apply changes accordingly)

psengineer

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1452657369|3975223 said:

There is also another problem w/ the tacori line on WF. Their caret ranges won't fit the 1.365.
That's not a problem. Each Tacori is custom built to stone.

Frankly your lady sounds unreasonable. But that's your problem. Not mine. You are the one proposing marriage to her.

Plus I have a strong suspicion the only reason she likes the Tacori is the brand name.That's why she's not consistent across styles and dislikes or is lukewarm to anything that isn't branded. She sounds like a brand name girl. In which case I'm going to recommend you pick the cheapest Tacori that fits your stone and propose with that.

She'll probably reset the stone anyway.

She actually doesn't like name brands, she's never heard of Tacori and asked me what that is when I showed it to her before. She likes unique, but clean design. She says the BG design was too tacky for her and has too much going on. She likes the Tacori, but has the same statement regarding it being overly busy.

I should add, the ring is the only thing she really wanted. (which is why i am trying to stretch my budget). She stated she much rather do a small wedding/honeymoon but have a well-design/made ring. She's frugal on everything else.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'd focus on the WF ones and not the designer ones because those will take longer, probably.

These are the ones I posted earlier. Since she thought the BG set was too ornate, perhaps she'd like a more classic pave solitaire. Honestly, I think any of these three will be gorgeous even if you surprise her.

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/legato-sleek-line-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-1120.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/elena-diamond-engagement-ring-1363.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/harmony-diamond-engagement-ring-890.htm

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results