shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help with my research!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dart83

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I''ve been going through the site for the last day or so and I am hoping some of you can help me as you have helped others.

I''ve recently begun seriously researching and shopping for a diamond for my girlfriend. I pretty much understand the "C''s" but my question is on the grading institutes. I know that GIA is basically the gold standard for grading. However, how does EGL compare as of now? I''ve read that in the past they were not as strict as GIA but are moving closer to it. Can EGL certified diamonds be trusted or should I try to stay strictly with a GIA stone?

Anything you can offer would be appreciated, and I know I will be asking other questions once I receive some responses to this one.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
unfortunately, egl does not grade for the most important aspect of the diamond....cut. if having a paper that says a diamond is a certain color and clarity is important to you, then egl may be the way to go. egl isn''t ''bad'' they''re just different.
keep reading and learning. it''s a big purchase.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
If you post your requirements and budget, people may be able to offer suggestions.
I only looked at GIA and AGS certs because it was easier for me to evaluate the diamond.
But I am sure EGL would work also . . . as long as you see the stone and know what you are getting.

Dart83

Rough_Rock
The reason I''m asking is because I found one stone that both she and I loved. Here are the basic characteristics.

Cushion Brilliant
Cut: Ideal
Carat: 1.77
Color: F
Clarity: SI

It''s a more squarish cushion rather than rectangular, which is what we wanted. It looks absolutely beautiful with the only inclusion noticable with the microscope were two small cloudlike inclusions directly beneath a corner facet (not noticeable to untrained naked eye). Obviously it''s EGL. The price is $7,300 including a platinum band. It seems very low for the price.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to PS
35.gif

If you do a search, also you will see this matter has been discussed many times, this might help you. As you have seen this cushion and love it, the price is right ( EGL diamonds often have lower pricetags) then it might be the right diamond for you. See if you can make the sale final on this diamond checking out with an independant appraiser to see that the colour and clarity check out - well worth an extra $100 plus or so for peace of mind. Also which EGL branch is it? USA, Europe, Israel etc?

Ditto Belle on the Ideal label. If you want this diamond, definitely get it appraised by an expert.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
you can toss the ''ideal'' label on there out the window. i don''t know where it came from but there are no ''ideal'' parameters for cushions.
what are the dimensions for this diamond? if the price is suspiciously low, there is a reason.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results