shape
carat
color
clarity

Please Help with MMD (Stria?) for Engagement Ring

diamondringaling

Rough_Rock
Hi,

First time poster, long time reader here. I'm finally about to buy a diamond for an engagement ring. I'm currently looking at this 1.54 ct D VS1 MMD from my local supplier with a great cut. 56% table, 34.5 CA, 40.9 PA and 61.9% depth. My only concern is the picture I received of the diamond below. I'm not sure if I'm seeing really bad stria all over the diamond or if that's just a bad picture. I'm worried that the stria all over the diamond will make it look dull. Can you guys help me confirm whether that's stria and if I should stay away from this diamond?

Really appreciate all your inputs.

Thanks!

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to the forum! :))

Not an expert... but that does look like Stria to my eyes.

I assume it's a CVD stone?

It does have great proportions, though, so good work on that front! :)

Have you seen it with your own eyes?

Jon/Rhino on here says Stria in his stones does not impact performance, and he is an expert in these things, but I'm not sure if there are any empirical studies as to how stria affects light performance (if at all).

On that basis, I don't feel informed enough to offer my thoughts either way on whether you should proceed, but if you've seen it and are satisfied with the performance (don't forget to take it away from the magic store lights ;-) ), and the store has a good (and written) Returns/refund/upgrade policy, you should be pretty safe if you are inclined to go ahead with it... :???:

Not sure that helps?? lol

diamondringaling

Rough_Rock
Welcome to the forum! :))

Not an expert... but that does look like Stria to my eyes.

I assume it's a CVD stone?

It does have great proportions, though, so good work on that front! :)

Have you seen it with your own eyes?

Jon/Rhino on here says Stria in his stones does not impact performance, and he is an expert in these things, but I'm not sure if there are any empirical studies as to how stria affects light performance (if at all).

On that basis, I don't feel informed enough to offer my thoughts either way on whether you should proceed, but if you've seen it and are satisfied with the performance (don't forget to take it away from the magic store lights ;-) ), and the store has a good (and written) Returns/refund/upgrade policy, you should be pretty safe if you are inclined to go ahead with it... :???:

Not sure that helps?? lol

Thanks!

This is a CVD stone. I asked my supplier to ship it in to see it in person. I'm really hoping it's fine in person. But if its stria all over the diamond I'm worried it'll be visible to the naked eye or affect light performance. Other than the potential stria this seemed like the perfect diamond for what I'm looking for, so I don't know what to do now. o_O

Hoping more experts and @Rhino will chime in as well!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks!

This is a CVD stone. I asked my supplier to ship it in to see it in person. I'm really hoping it's fine in person. But if its stria all over the diamond I'm worried it'll be visible to the naked eye or affect light performance. Other than the potential stria this seemed like the perfect diamond for what I'm looking for, so I don't know what to do now. o_O

Cool, it sounds like they are on board with things and you are doing everything you can to confirm its acceptability - please let us know what you think when you see it!

As mentioned earlier, make sure to check it out in a range of different lighting environments so you know it will perform well everywhere (well, apart from a pitch black room, obviously :lol:) and make sure you're not pressured into buying it!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Welcome to PS! FYI, trade members are not allowed to comment on other vendor’s stones so don’t think you are getting ignored by Rhino if he doesn’t respond. He is active and helpful on here, and respectful of the forum rules.

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
I have been 100% pro-MMD since I initially heard about them, but this stria issue makes me question if CVD grown MMD are mind-clean for me. @diamondringaling I don't fault you for your hesitation.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Folks, a reminder that trade members may not critique stones to avoid any conflict of interest. A post has been removed from this thread that violated that policy.

diamondringaling

Rough_Rock
Appreciate the comments everyone including the expert! I did see your video and it was very helpful. I'm waiting to see it in person and will let you guys know.

You guys and gals are awesome! :)

diamondringaling

Rough_Rock
I finally had a chance to take a look at the stone in person!! :)

My dealer showed me the diamond under up to 40x and I did not notice any obvious stria. However, looking at the actual diamond (I'm about to purchase the one on the left, D VS1) side by side with another one in a ring (I VS2 mined diamond), it looks dull with slightly less fire and brilliance. I've also attached a Video Here as well (apologies for the horrible quality). I find that it doesn't have as much fire and brilliance side by side and it looks dull even though the cut would almost be considered super ideal (57% table, 61.9% depth, 34.5% CA, 40.9% PA). The diamond in the ring looks clean and crisp.

The dealer tells me that it's just got some fingerprints on it, so he put it in a cleaner and it didn't seem to do anything. He said when they set it in the ring, it'll get washed in ammonia which will get rid of the grease on the ring, so it'll come out like the other one. Also, because the other ring is in a setting, the amount of light that gets reflected is different. Could the one being in a setting make it look better?

I've also attached the ASET, which looks pretty good and it's got pretty good hearts and arrows as well.

I'm not sure if it just looks dull/lifeless to me because the dealer seems to think it's just dirt/grease and it'll go away with an ammonia wash. This is supposed to be a super ideal cut as well. What do you guys think?

Picture.jpg ASET.jpg

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
I see what you mean. The right diamond is the mined diamond right? I would tell the dealer he should clean the diamond and only after it sparkles as much as the mined diamond you will Buy it. Imagine the ammonia doesn’t help - you will always be bothered by this slight dullness.

diamondringaling

Rough_Rock
Yeah, the right one is the mined diamond. It looks bright and crisp. I was surprised the LG diamond has an ideal cut and still doesn't look crisp.

If the ammonia doesn't help I wonder if I should still get it. :confused:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
They look like they aren't the same cut proportions?
The mined looks proportioned to more fire and the MMD looks like prop. for more brilliance.
The MMD isn't hitting the mark, it does look 'dull' in comparison. Is it possible to find one with a slightly smaller table/deeper crown if fire is what you're after?
@Karl_K - he can explain the specifics and the math! It's something he know a little bit(read that as tons)about ;))

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Not commenting on any diamond that exists or may not exist.
If a diamond looks off to you its off, and unless you can live with it move on.
Even if it looks perfect to everyone else if its off to you its off.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Not commenting on any diamond that exists or may not exist.
If a diamond looks off to you its off, and unless you can live with it move on.
Even if it looks perfect to everyone else if its off to you its off.

Oops, sorry about that.
I just meant for him to look at your threads on the subject of cut for information, not comment on this specific diamond.

diamondringaling

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the suggestion, @Lessics, I went to look at the diamond again after the dealer gave it a thorough cleaning with ammonia and it started to sparkle a lot more! I'll be getting this diamond in a halo setting. Will let you guys know how it goes!

After Cleaning.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results