shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help with DK cads

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ceg I stated (but edited out) that I do honestly prefer the second rendition better, with method #2 of stair stepping the stones. I like that the evenly-sided floral gallery mirrors the evenly-sized stones face-up, and I think the slight height difference between adjacent bezels will be very minimal IRL - especially with that busy gallery in a different metal colour!

Looking forward to the wax! ::)

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ceg I stated (but edited out) that I do honestly prefer the second rendition better, with method #2 of stair stepping the stones. I like that the evenly-sided floral gallery mirrors the evenly-sized stones face-up, and I think the slight height difference between adjacent bezels will be very minimal IRL - especially with that busy gallery in a different metal colour!

Looking forward to the wax! ::)

Thanks yssie! Your comments really help me see this better. I definitely like the 2nd cad better as well. When I see cads such as this, I seem to forget that the bezels are 1mm or so and the gallery 3mm, tiny! I really think this will work for me. I appreciate everyone's help here on ps, that's for sure!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great points by @yssie. IMO the 2nd CAD is much better. I'd ask Amy about the visibility of the bezels. It seems things look bulkier in the CADs and plastic/wax models. The prongs on mine had me nervous but turned out beautiful in real life.

FYI I think she ships plastic (green) and does wax (purple) for in house purposes. During my process, the plastic was more rough and not as clean as the wax and the metal was even better than the wax (Amy photographed in the wax and early metal stages and sent me pics).

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ceg keeping the curl in the cathedral shoulder?

yanaazul

Shiny_Rock
Hi ceg! I haven't been by in a long time, but I must have had a sixth sense, haha.

You've gotten great advice. But one thing I wanted to note about the "thick" bezels that just look like they're perched on the petals on the CAD -- remember, the bench needs more metal in the bezel than will be visibly apparent in the finished ring, because they need enough to fold down on the edges to make the bezel and secure your stones. Like the hem on clothing -- the pattern has more fabric than the finished piece. It's a little harder to see in the green on green in my CAD opposed to your purple/green on gold, but it is there. And if you look at the finished ring, the bezels are snugged into the petals.

Same if you are planning on engraving, actually -- the engraving will take away metal, so the CAD will look thicker to provide the material to accommodate. I remember being concerned about the 2.7mm shank CAD because I had a 3mm ring that felt too thick -- David reassured me that the end result after all the engraving on all sides would be just over the 2mm I had requested. And it is.

I'm honored that you liked my ring enough to design your own version, and I am really looking forward to seeing it finished!

Best!

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi ceg! I haven't been by in a long time, but I must have had a sixth sense, haha.

You've gotten great advice. But one thing I wanted to note about the "thick" bezels that just look like they're perched on the petals on the CAD -- remember, the bench needs more metal in the bezel than will be visibly apparent in the finished ring, because they need enough to fold down on the edges to make the bezel and secure your stones. Like the hem on clothing -- the pattern has more fabric than the finished piece. It's a little harder to see in the green on green in my CAD opposed to your purple/green on gold, but it is there. And if you look at the finished ring, the bezels are snugged into the petals.

Same if you are planning on engraving, actually -- the engraving will take away metal, so the CAD will look thicker to provide the material to accommodate. I remember being concerned about the 2.7mm shank CAD because I had a 3mm ring that felt too thick -- David reassured me that the end result after all the engraving on all sides would be just over the 2mm I had requested. And it is.

I'm honored that you liked my ring enough to design your own version, and I am really looking forward to seeing it finished!

Best!

Thank you so much! I love your ring, it's perfect!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results