shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help this lab diamond newbie.

konamery

Rough_Rock
Hello

I was just wondering if this lab grown diamond is worth $6,400 or are we getting ripped off? img_0824_0.jpg img_0825.jpg

Is there another certification paper they are suppose to show me? Also, can I get this stone ensured as I would a natural stone?

I need to make a decision between a much smaller natural stone and this larger lab diamond. As long as it's eye clean I much prefer the larger stone. Is my lab diamond worth $6,400?

Thank you

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
First of all, it is unlikely that you can get a comparable mined diamond for the same amount. So it isn't a ripoff.

IGI is not a great lab. They aren't exactly dishonest, but they are sloppy. Unfortunately most labs will not grade synthetic diamonds. If you can find one you like graded by GCAL, that's a plus.

Even if this stone would have been called a G I1 by GIA, it's still a bargain price. But if it's more like an H I2, it's not.

The combination of F and SI2 is not a great one, as you are paying for a very white stone with inclusions. It's all but impossible to tell an F from a G under normal viewing conditions, so if you found a G SI1 or VS2 for the same amount, you'd have a more attractive stone (all other equal, of course).

The cut is okay but not awesome--generally PS would not recommend a stone with that cut. Of course there's nothing wrong with compromising on cut, but again, a well-cut G would look brighter and more sparkly.

Unfortunately the selection you have to pick from is much sparser than with mined stones, so the usual practice of searching for 1.65 carat G VS2-SI1 and looking for an awesome cut (graded by GIA or AGS unless you have to look for a GCAL) may not find you a winner.

Not sure if this link will work, but this is your stone, and this has the information I used to do a simple evaluation of the stone. The dealer should absolutely give you the cert if you've actually bought it, and you should see it before you buy it in any case.

http://www.igiworldwide.com/verify.php?r=LG10264602

VDK

Rough_Rock
VDK

A nature diamond is a Masterpiece of Nature, which is rarely formed long long before the dinosaurs walking on earth...It tells a story of billions years existence . A lab grown diamond is just a soulles man made stone some weeks before. Even the buyers try to convince you those are "green". Those synthetic stones definitely have :wall: zero resale value!
You would have a look at this usefull link on the price of lab grown diamonds
https://www.diamonds.pro/lab-created-synthetic-diamonds/

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A lab grown diamond is a miracle of the intellect, a symbol of a better world...it tells the story of millions of years of progress and a million years more that none of us will see, but all of us can celebrate. A mined diamond is a product of destruction, of exploitation, and of violence. The industry will try to convince you that it's rare, but it's less rare than sapphires, or emeralds, and not even in the same world as Jadeite or Alexandrite. Those mined diamonds have almost no resale value.

Here's a helpful link:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1982/02/have-you-ever-tried-to-sell-a-diamond/304575/

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Actually, a reasonable expectation for a resale price is about 10%. The highest quality stones will get more, and private sales (eBay) sometimes get around 70% of retail.

Contrary to what you claim, synthetic diamonds are uncommon, and there's so few of them resold that no one can estimate how much they will sell for. Based on my casual surveys of sites like eBay, I'd say it's comparable to mined diamonds (10% to 70%).

I am not sure why you think a lower price is a bad thing. Mined diamonds are overpriced because the market is manipulated by the small number of suppliers. The claim that we owe it to poorer countries to make them do dirty, dangerous work to satisfy the demands of people much wealthier than themselves is not one anyone takes seriously when we talk about, I dunno, sewing.

If there ever truly comes a time where synthetics dominate the market, then mined stones will be worth much less. As I said, diamonds are not rare compared to other gems.

VDK

Rough_Rock
Who said that 70% is the highest re-sale value of for diamonds? I can show you some retail shops that guarantee 95% buy back value if the diamonds have GIA certificates. Furthermore, the big highest quality fancy color diamonds are investment grades. Prices always increase.

How can you know that diamond labs (or factories) are exactly more eco friendly than mines? Which production standards that labs or diamond factories follow? Lower price is a bad thing in the case that you buy a lab diamond today and definitely tomorrow you can buy the same thing at a much lower price.

If there ever truly comes a time where synthetics dominate the market, then those factory made diamonds will be worth much less or even worthless like a cheap CZ. Is that the goal you want to reach?

“Diamonds are not rare compared to other gems.” So tell me how many mines discovered in recent years and what are their capacity? And exactly how many carats of rough diamonds De Beeers still hides deeply in its cellar in London?

Lastly, the selling points of diamonds are the billion years stories behind. Not some synthetic things just produced in the factory next door last week.

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This purpose of this thread is to help a lab diamond newbie who unfortunately seems to have been scared away. I was defending lab stones because I hoped the newbie would come back.

You're not going to win this argument. For example, you're now claiming that a lab diamond will be cheaper than a cheap CZ, apparently not realizing that it is much more difficult and costly to cut the hardest known substance (outside of a materials lab) than to cut something softer than a sapphire.

If you really want to rant about lab diamonds start your own thread. Some people want them, some people will make them--they may make your mined stone worth less someday, but you don't get to decide that. Do what you think is in your own best interest.

VDK

Rough_Rock
VDK

No body is the winner! Consumers decide what they want. The point is you are trying to "sell" your lab grown stones based on the prices of real nature diamonds and at the same time trying to attack the natural diamonds by telling untrue facts!

VDK

Rough_Rock
Again, you are always try to tell the untrue facts. I said “factory made diamonds will be worth much less or even worthless like a cheap CZ” and you interpret “lab diamond will be cheaper than a cheap CZ” plus the explanation of “costly to cut “…Yes, for the time being we still need experts, say from Antwerp to cut the diamonds. But why don’t you have a longer vision that if (if!) your dream time comes true, when synthetics flood the market. Why don’t we use 100% robot to cut those synthetics stones? Or even like we make ice in the freezers today, at your dream time we just put “some carbon” in frame of a machine and press a button. Some hours later, whatever shape, cut, color, weight… of a “machine made” diamond you want comes out. Then at that time your lovely “miracle of the intellect, a symbol of a better world” stones will even be used to decorate a public toilet!

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Konamery,
What did you decide? I'm sorry I didn't see your post earlier. My advice would have been to check out several other Lab grown diamond sellers and compare prices. I have bought from D.NEA diamonds several times and have been happy with the results.

Www.dneadiamonds.com

Good luck and please let us know how it all worked out.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
VDK|1479893089|4101768 said:
I can show you some retail shops that guarantee 95% buy back value if the diamonds have GIA certificates.

Please do. I watch this sort of thing fairly carefully, and I can't think of a single store that does this. I'd be tickled to know if I missed someone. Mind you, I know quite a few that will accept a trade-in against a new purchase, usually at a significantly higher price, but none that will give you 95% cash buy back beyond an initial purchase period of, say, 30 days. GIA or not. The closest I can think of is Costco, who will refund things at 100% forever as long as they don't show signs of wear and haven't been modified (like sizing or resetting for example). That's distinctly not the same thing. That's their policy on nearly everything they sell.

VDK

Rough_Rock
VDK

denverappraiser|1486763808|4127244 said:
VDK|1479893089|4101768 said:
I can show you some retail shops that guarantee 95% buy back value if the diamonds have GIA certificates.

Please do. I watch this sort of thing fairly carefully, and I can't think of a single store that does this. I'd be tickled to know if I missed someone. Mind you, I know quite a few that will accept a trade-in against a new purchase, usually at a significantly higher price, but none that will give you 95% cash buy back beyond an initial purchase period of, say, 30 days. GIA or not. The closest I can think of is Costco, who will refund things at 100% forever as long as they don't show signs of wear and haven't been modified (like sizing or resetting for example). That's distinctly not the same thing. That's their policy on nearly everything they sell.
Lucie Diamond, one of the most famous diamond store in Vietnam
https://m.facebook.com/pages/Lucie-Diamond/303561152993873.. They also offer 98% trade up for a bigger diamond. But unfortunately they don't sell online.

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
PNG seems to sell jewelry--not diamonds.

I don't see anything about diamond certifications.

Their prices are really low, and the pieces on their site seem not be 6.5 mm VS1 white diamonds at all. I'm seeing 4 mm SI1, etc.

Still, I wouldn't rule out that they are actually buying back diamonds like you say. The obvious way to do it is to raise the prices so that it's profitable for them to "rent" diamonds. If that's what their market demands, then vendors will offer it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results