carat
color
clarity

Please help the chimpanzees...so terrible what is happening

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Please help the chimpanzees...so terrible what is happen

I sent an email to Victoria O'Neil and sent a message via FB to Chris Hillyer via the NYBC's page - I know it's not as effective as a phone call, by far - but I have anxiety about calling (I didn't for Met Life because I knew it was a voicemail).

I'll try to muster some courage later and call.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I like PETA...

lulu

Ideal_Rock

I've been following this for some time now. I've signed and called. It's heartbreaking.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

To any PS people who haven't signed/called or donated yet but might: I did all 3 and no problems resulted, no email spamming,cetc., so if you too are horrified at the situation these poor animals are in, please DO sign, call and donate if you would like to help.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you so much everyone! The signatures are adding up woohoo but there are still more needed. So please anyone reading this who hasn't signed please do. For the poor chimpanzees who deserve to be fed and taken care of after all they have sacrificed for humans. Linking the petition again for those who are willing to sign.

https://www.change.org/p/metlife-terminate-your-relationship-with-new-york-blood-center

CJ, you are a sweetheart! Thank you so much for all you have done for these chimpanzees. And especially for going out of your comfort zone. (((Hugs))).

Lulu, thank you for taking the time to sign and call!

Kristie, Thank you! You are the best. You are a fierce protector of all animals in need and you always go that extra mile. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Missy, in fact I had *not* called when you posted that. But you saying "thank you" gave me no other option, and I just took a deep breath and called the NYBC. So I'm glad your thank you gave me the push, because I really wanted to do it.

I asked for Mr. Hillyer 212-570-3000 - the receptionist informed me that Mr. Robert Purvis, VP of Customer Service, is now in charge of dealing with the chimps. I left a polite message on his voicemail basically pleading for him/them to do the right thing for these chimps.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

One more thing you can do, for anyone who would like to help (as per the New York Blood Center: Do the Right Thing FB page):

DEMAND CIPRIANI CANCEL NYBC FUNDRAISING GALA AT ITS EVENT SPACE IN NEW YORK:

Cipriani is hosting an NYBC fundraising gala with sponsorship levels up to $150,000.

CALL (646) 723 0826 and ask for an event planner. Please be respectful. Explain why you are calling and let them know you are part of an ongoing campaign to have Cipriani cancel this event.

POST TO CIPRIANI FACEBOOK. Please be respectful: http://tinyurl.com/q3br7nw

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you so much CJ!!!

And thank you everyone who cares. Please, if you haven't yet signed the petition yet please do. It takes a moment and there is no spamming as Kristie said. It is safe to sign and call and donate if you want to but at the very least please sign the petition if you care at all about these beautiful chimpanzees who have been through so much for so many decades. There are only 66 chimpanzees left out of the original 200. Please help save them.

https://www.change.org/p/metlife-terminate-your-relationship-with-new-york-blood-center

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Update.

Short term solution is being handled as of now but we still need NYBC to do the right thing ethically and support the chimpanzees. They were raised in captivity and so are completely dependent on human care and where they are living there are no natural resources for them. They are completely dependent on human care and it is all because of NYBC they are in the position literally and figuratively they are in right now. Do the right thing NYBC. They made millions upon millions for you and now you deny any responsibility?

http://www.myfoxny.com/clip/11698359/chimps-in-liberia#.Va_4mmB0Ylw.facebook

http://blog.humanesociety.org/wayne/2015/07/new-york-blood-center-just-the-latest-threat-to-chimps.html?utm_source=tw_post072215&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=humanenation&credit=tw_post072215

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

They are just not giving any indication they're going to do the right thing. It's as if we - the people reaching out to them - don't exist.

It's as if they know they don't *have* to do anything, that nothing will happen to them if they don't.

I'm trying to remain hopeful, and I've been polite in all my correspondence with them, but I am starting to get angry.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I know CJ, me too. :wall: :nono: :(
The only way they are going to do the right thing is if we start hurting them in the only place that matters to them. Their pocketbooks. People need to stop donating to NYBC. Stop giving them dollars, stop donating blood. They will hear that. And there are other NYC blood organizations one can donate to so it's not going to hurt anyone but the fat cats of NYBC. My apologies to real kitties everywhere. NYBC is made up of corporate greedy evil people who need to hurt where it matters to them to get them to do right by these beautiful animals.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I don't see enough people saying they will stop donating blood :(sad - at least not from what I can see on Facebook on the NY Blood Center page. I don't see any response from Cipriani, or from Met Life... :(sad

And of course I realize many things can be going on behind the scenes that are positive.

I also know these things are "delicate" (well, they wouldn't be if *I* owned any of these companies, I tell you that much) and companies need to craft appropriate messages, and that can take some time.

But it would make me feel somewhat more hopeful if these companies were at least saying "We hear you. We are not sure how we're going to deal with this. But we hear you. And we will update you very soon."

SOMETHING.

Although I realize that will work only for so long, too. And honestly even what I said above would probably anger me (what do you mean you don't know how you're going to deal with this? There is only ONE way!) but...I think you know what I mean.

I did forward the information to 2 other people yesterday I thought might want to know about the situation.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

CJ, I feel the same way and I was talking with my friend yesterday who was the original person to alert me to this disaster and she told me that progress has been made over the last 2 months. She has been at this since May and she said there has been movement in a positive direction but yes, not fast enough and not enough. :(( And to make matters worse there are reports there is a newborn chimp now. That really breaks my heart. Not enough food and now a newborn in the situation.

Shame on you NYBC and Cipriani and anyone else supporting this egregious behavior/action. Shame on you all and remember karma is a real bitch. And yes it will come back to haunt you unless you do the right thing. :nono: :nono: :nono:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well, it's good to hear behind the scenes some progress has been made.

I just read today that NYBC was feeding the chimps only every OTHER day when they WERE taking care of them...

So they never were doing the right thing to begin with. Every other day?

Heartbreaking.

I am trying really really hard to not hate the NYBC but finding out that they were feeding them every other day is making that really hard.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Missy did you see this?

http://nybloodcenter.org/about-us/press-room/statement-new-york-blood-center-regarding-liberian-chimp-sanctua/

Over the past several weeks, New York Blood Center (NYBC) has been the subject of media and social media interest relating to a chimpanzee sanctuary in Liberia. Much of this information is false or inaccurate, but we have declined most opportunities to comment because we are currently involved in legal proceedings on related issues.

We can, however, tell you this:

New York Blood Center (NYBC) is a community-based, nonprofit humanitarian organization that saves thousands of lives each year through our blood and blood-related products, services and research. This is our mission. We serve the 20 million people who live in the New York metropolitan area, as well as in and around Kansas City, Missouri.

We provide our services to our partner hospitals, doctors and clinics that serve hemophilia patients, victims of accidents and natural disasters, burn patients, children and adults with cancer, women who suffer complications of pregnancy and delivery, as well as others who need surgeries and transfusions. In a time of limited resources for blood centers nationally, any funds diverted from NYBC's core mission have a significant cost.

NYBC has spent hundreds of millions on research that has produced life-saving cures, including a low-cost vaccine for Hepatitis B, a method for removing viruses (including Hepatitis and HIV) from blood plasma, vaccines to combat the SARS and MERS viruses, the development of stem cell therapies, including the use of stem cells derived from umbilical cord blood, the identification of blood group genotypes, and other life-saving research developments. Substantial funding for this research comes from royalties from prior discoveries.

More than a decade ago, with the approval of the Liberian government, chimpanzees were used in research approved by the Liberian government. It is estimated that the low-cost, widely distributed Hepatitis B vaccine developed as a result of this research saved millions of human lives.

NYBC does not own the animals in question, and never did. The animals are owned by the Liberian government, and their officials have repeatedly acknowledged that they have responsibility for the care of the chimpanzees -- most recently in legal documents filed in March of this year.

NYBC's support of the chimpanzees was entirely voluntary, offered on a philanthropic basis until the Government of Liberia could take over. NYBC attempted for more than five years to find a workable solution for the care, maintenance and feeding of these animals. We held discussions with numerous animal welfare groups and the Government of Liberia, all to no avail. Eventually, we had no choice but to inform the Liberians that we could no longer provide this charitable support and provided advance notice to ensure a smooth transition. The Government of Liberia and animal rights organizations knew all along that our support was voluntary and could not continue.

NYBC appreciates the many groups that have the mission, expertise and resources to focus on finding what they consider to be a suitable outcome. NYBC no longer engages in non-human primate research, and is not positioned to debate issues of animal rights, animal use in research, or other matters that – while very important – are beyond our mission and scope.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Let me know if I'm bombarding you too much with this Missy - honestly I cannot get it off my mind I feel such a sense of urgency and I don't know who else to share with to this extent. :sick:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

CJ2008|1437766592|3907004 said:
Let me know if I'm bombarding you too much with this Missy - honestly I cannot get it off my mind I feel such a sense of urgency and I don't know who else to share with to this extent. :sick:

CJ, I am glad you are sharing your feelings with me and it is more than OK. Thank you so much for caring!

I don't care what propaganda the NYBC is saying. They are liars and they did promise and they do have an ethical obligation to these chimpanzees. It was on the backs of these chimpanzees that these life saving vaccinations were developed and now NYBC is washing their hands of their responsibility. NYBC's head people are monsters. :( :( :(

On another note Katie Katie Conlee Griffin replied to my questions to her about HSUS and how much of the funds are going to the chimpanzees. Here is her reply.

Hello Missy!

Thanks for reaching out! I assure you that all of the proceeds received by The Humane Society of the United States from the GoFundMe campaign will go directly to care for the chimpanzees who were abandoned in Liberia by the New York Blood Center. GoFundMe and FirstGiving (the company that processes payments for the certified charity campaigns) each take percentages totaling 9.5% and The HSUS receives the rest. You can find that information here: http://www.gofundme.com/pricing... These emergency funds are being distributed for food, water and other supplies, as well as to those on the ground working to ensure that these chimpanzees receive the care they deserve.

Unfortunately, because of The HSUSâs success in and achieving positive transformational change for animals all over the world, we have many opponents who spread misinformation about our organization. However, the HSUS rates very well with established watchdog entities such as the Better Business Bureau Wise Giving Alliance (BBBWGA). Additionally, we have been voted by Guidestarâs Philanthropedia experts as the #1 high impact animal protection group, and named by Worth magazine as one of the 10 most fiscally responsible charities. You can see our full financials and more about our work at www.humanesociety.org/about,,, see the work that donations made possible in 2014 alone here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXvC1yXM6RI,,, and read more about charity ratings here: http://www.humanesociety.org/about/charity-ratings.html

I hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to contact me with any further questions.

All the best,
Katie

I don't know what is going to happen but I do know these animals need all the help they can get. Please feel comfortable to vent to me anytime CJ. Believe me I feel the same way you do. It is heartbreaking. We are not the only ones who feel this way either. Hoping and praying these chimpanzees get the help they need.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Missy,

Believe me, I agree with you 100% that they have an ethical obligation to these chimpanzees.

But for a brief moment, when I read that they tried to find a workable solution for 5 years I thought "Oh. I didn't realize they had even tried." It just gave me pause for a second.

But then I realized, it doesn't matter. None of it matters other than they abandoned these chimps hoping someone else will just foot the bill but not really caring if someone does or not.

You cannot do that if you are a decent human being. You don't give up. You ask for help. You do what you have to do to make sure those chimps are fed and taken care of. Every day.

The fact that they fed them only once every other day speaks volumes about whoever makes decisions over there.

So I hear you Missy. I'm with you.

And I have to say, I really like the thoroughness with which Katie answers questions. And I liked seeing her as one of the people dropping off the petitions at NYBC.

She responded to me today too:

Hi CJ,

Thank you so much for reaching out! All of the proceeds received by The Humane Society of the United States from the GoFundMe campaign will go directly to care for the chimpanzees. GoFundMe and FirstGiving (the company that processes payments for the certified charity campaigns) each take percentages totaling 9.5%. You can find that information here: http://www.gofundme.com/pricing...

These emergency funds are being distributed for food, water and other supplies, as well as to those on the ground working to ensure that these chimpanzees receive the care they deserve. The wellbeing of both the chimpanzees and the caretakers is important. The caregivers were recently given a payment of appreciation for their generous time volunteering to ensure care of the chimpanzees. Further, as we work through this emergency situation, we are finalizing a plan for creation of essential staff positions and formal fulfillment of these positions.

I hope this answers your questions. Please feel free to contact me with any further questions. Thank you for your support!

Best,
Katie

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Horrible. Hard for me to even read...

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

LLJsmom|1437844423|3907332 said:

Same for me, LLJsmom. I have not watched any of the videos. I know nothing bad happens to them during these videos but I just don't want to see them. It's hard to look at pictures too.

All I can hold on to for now is that they are being fed every day.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

CJ2008|1437848028|3907366 said:

Same for me, LLJsmom. I have not watched any of the videos. I know nothing bad happens to them during these videos but I just don't want to see them. It's hard to look at pictures too.

Update:
https://www.facebook.com/abandonedchimps?pnref=story

Now she is getting more food she is much less stressed. Heartbreaking that they have to go through this and not getting enough food possibly again in the future but at least for now it is a change for the better.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy|1438029930|3908065 said:
CJ2008|1437848028|3907366 said:

Update:

Now she is getting more food she is much less stressed. Heartbreaking that they have to go through this and not getting enough food possibly again in the future but at least for now it is a change for the better.

Yes all we have to hold on to is today. So nice to see her relaxed. :appl:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Another update.

http://www.gofundme.com/abandonedchimps?utm_source=internal&utm_medium=email&utm_content=cta_button&utm_campaign=upd_n

Just had to share this recently captured photo of Nana embracing her two year old daughter! Like humans, chimpanzees physically express their emotions in many ways including hugging, kissing, and even tickling. Seeing such a tender moment between this mama and her baby is truly heartwarming and reminds us why we are working so hard to ensure these chimpanzees are receiving the care they need and deserve. Keep sharing their story!

Help provide emergency support for chimpanzees abandoned in Liberia!

Sixty six chimpanzees in Liberia, Africa have recently been abandoned by the New York Blood Center (NYBC) and are now in serious danger of dehydration and starvation without your help. Many of the chimpanzees were captured from the wild and exploited for decades by NYBC for medical testing before finally being retired to a small group of islands off of the coast of Liberia. In spite of their promise to ensure lifetime care for the chimps, in March 2015 – while Liberia was still reeling from the largest Ebola outbreak in history – the NYBC withdrew all funding to care for and feed the chimpanzees.

These chimpanzees have been through so much already—from the research they endured to civil wars in Liberia that resulted in the death of many of the original 200 chimpanzees. We urgently need your help to save their lives now. Please donate now to help us so these chimps can be provided with the food, water, and care they so critically need!

After donating, sign our Change.org petition telling New York Blood Center and its partners to immediately reinstate funding for the care of the chimpanzees!

The New York Blood Center is a large American non-profit corporation that provides blood, develops blood related products and conducts medical research. In the 1970’s, NYBC partnered with the Liberian Institute for Biomedical Research to create Vilab II to obtain and breed chimpanzees for use in research and testing. After experimenting on the chimps for decades and financially benefiting from these animals, NYBC decided the chimps were no longer useful for research and retired them to small islands near the lab.
Previously, NYBC publicly acknowledged their responsibility to these animals and committed to their lifetime care but that came to an end on March 5, 2015 when they turned their back on the animals and cut off support. They provided no realistic or lasting arrangement for the care of the chimpanzees who will quickly suffer from dehydration and starvation without constant care.

Thankfully, some of the chimps’ longtime Liberian caretakers have continued to care for the chimps voluntarily. A small number of caring individuals and organizations have provided emergency funding for food and water. This is not a sustainable solution for the chimpanzees or their caretakers. Without additional funds to provide for the needs of these chimpanzees, they will quickly suffer from dehydration and starvation. We can’t let this happen! Donate today to save these chimps!

The coalition
Several organizations from around the world have banded together to help these chimpanzees. See a full list of coalition members below. Currently, this coalition is focused on the emergency needs of the chimpanzees: food, water, and basic care. However, NYBC and its corporate partners must be pressured to reinstate funding for the care of the chimps – so please make sure to sign our petitions after you donate! Ultimately, with your help, we will work together to find a long-term solution to ensure the humane, lifetime care of these chimpanzees. Together we can give these chimpanzees the care they deserve.

Coalition members
American Anti-Vivisection Society
Arcus Foundation
ASPCA: American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
Born Free Foundation
Born Free USA
Center for Great Apes
Chimp Haven
Chimpanzee Sanctuary NW
Fauna Foundation
FOUR PAWS International
GFAS: Global Federation of Animal Sanctuaries
Humane Society International
Humane Society Liberia
Humane Society Veterinary Medical Association
IDA-Africa
IFAW: International Fund for Animal Welfare
International Primatological Society
ISPARE: International Sammy Project for Animal Rescue and Education
IUCN/SSC Primate Specialist Group
Jane Goodall Institute
Japan Monkey Centre
Laboratory Primate Advocacy Group
Liberia Animal Welfare and Conservation Society
Lola Ya Bonobo
Kibale Chimpanzee Project
National Anti-Vivisection Society
New England Anti-Vivisection Society
North American Primate Sanctuary Alliance
Pan African Animal Welfare Alliance Pan African Sanctuary Alliance
Project Primate, Inc
P-WAC: Project for Wildlife and Apes Conservation
SAGA: Support for African/Asian Great Apes
SCNL: Society for the Conservation of Nature in Liberia
The Fund for Animals
The Humane Society of the United States
Wild Chimpanzee Foundation

pleasesavetheabandonedchimps.jpg

Candygrl

Brilliant_Rock

I just read all of this. I just don't even have words :(

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Candygrl said:
I just read all of this. I just don't even have words :(

I know candygrl. It is too painful for words to do it any justice. ;(

CJ2008|1439565832|3914485 said:
Hey Missy...

Did you see that they found another colony on a different island...only 1 chimp remains alive. :(sad

http://www.animals24-7.org/2015/08/12/abandoning-vilab-ii-chimps-in-liberia-new-york-blood-center-did-it-before-in-ivory-coast-saen-charges/

This is just unbearable.

I did not and cannot open your link hope you don't mind CJ2008 but I just cannot bear any more horrible news re these poor sweet babies. I hate these people so much I feel it burning up inside me and I know that is unhealthy. ;( ;( ;(
I hate the unfairness of this world and I hate people who can behave like this. Who are so callous with life. Whatever happened to humanity? Why don't people get that these are living beings who deserve life just as we do.

How tragic this is on so many levels. :( :( :(

Mahatma Gandhi — 'The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.'

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh my goodness Missy, no of course I don't mind I totally understand. There are no horrible pictures in that article but believe me, I understand not even wanting to read the details about it (I haven't either.) I just know there is one chimpanzee, Ponso, who remains. If you're up to it and want to see a video of him being fed, you can see it here https://www.facebook.com/1563621057233191/videos/vb.1563621057233191/1592814947647135/?type=2&theater

(and if you don't want to see that I understand that too.)

And I love that quote, by the way, it's one of my favorite ones of all time (although I've read it's not quite accurate, and it's not exactly what Gandhi said. Doesn't matter, I still love it, SOMEBODY should say it because it's truth).

Candygrl, you can help, there is still so much we can all do...maybe you have already, but if you haven't, you can sign the petition, they still more signatures: https://www.facebook.com/abandonedchimps/posts/1662992040580062

And if you can, consider donating (even if it's $5, it helps! They're using the $ to feed them right now...) http://www.gofundme.com/abandonedchimps

Candygrl

Brilliant_Rock

Ok I will definitely sign and donate. This situation really hurts my heart :(

Candygrl

Brilliant_Rock

I signed and shared on my Facebook page asking for more signatures. I will also donate. Gosh the world has so much evil :(

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results