shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help - question about milgrain bezel and tourmaline

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FWIW, it is a gorgeous ring but if the absence of milgrain would bother you I might ask DK about the potential to add it. When I first saw the pictures it didn’t strike me as anything was missing, some designs you would be able to tell there was a missing element. All I see is a gorgeous piece.

Right OK. Yes I think I’ll probably either just take it as it is or ask the same person to millgrain I don’t think I would bring it to a different person to do it. At least not right now. You kind of hit the nail on the head about the two different looks in that one makes the stone pop but the other is more cohesive. Right now my eye favors the milgrain bezel. I’m planning on talking to the vendor again to you see what the jeweler feels.

I understand. Since you've seen and love this bench's work, I can see wanting to stick with them. Plus, kudos to them for letting you know that they're hesitant to proceed before attempting to do so. Sure, it would have been better if they told you before the design was finalized. But at least they didn't botch the job then go "well ya should have known!"

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So the inspiration ring had an Aqua asscher center (Mohs 7.5-8.0) and your Tourmaline stepcut's Mohs is 7.0-7.5 ... slightly softer perhaps but not so much that I would have figured it made hand-applied milgraining problematic for a benchperson familiar with beryls ... doesn't make sense to me.

I will say, if Debebians says he cannot do it, then I believe him in the sense that if he thinks he can't do it, then I certainly don't want him to try!
But, just because Debebians can't/won't do it doesn't mean another jewelry/benchperson with more expertise couldn't do it.

Perhaps see if DK can do the milgraining -- if so, unless Debebians reduces the price you paid, tell them in fairness they should cover DK's fees for doing work that you already paid Debebians to do.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will say, if Debebians says he cannot do it, then I believe him in the sense that if he thinks he can't do it, then I certainly don't want him to try!
But, just because Debebians can't/won't do it doesn't mean another jewelry/benchperson with more expertise couldn't do it.

Agree with this wholeheartedly.

Then again, I've seen cases where the OP brings the ring to another bench to try to fix the original ring and more things happened and then it became a 3 way finger pointing issue.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with this wholeheartedly.

Then again, I've seen cases where the OP brings the ring to another bench to try to fix the original ring and more things happened and then it became a 3 way finger pointing issue.

good point.

@Mreader, if it were me, I'd ask Debebians to ship me the ring so I may evaluate the milgrain issue in person. If I love it as is, I negotiate with Debebians for a slight discount. If I want the milgrain, I advise Debebians that I want the milgrain and since Debebians cannot do it, they can either discount the ring accordingly or they can cover DK's costs (if DK says it is feasible).

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would I be the only one here uncomfortable in not knowing the exact business relationship/subs (if any) between DK and Debebians in asking DK to step in on the milgrain, in any way? After the fact it’s paid and shipped, or before?

Would I be the only one here uncomfortable in not knowing the exact business relationship (if any) between DK and Debebians in asking DK to step in on the milgrain, in any way? After the fact it’s paid and shipped, or before?

If it were me, I'd "close out" my transaction with Debebian's first. As in come to some kind of resolution and accept the piece as finished. Then go seek another vendor to add the milgrain (and send the bill to Deb's if they had previous agreed to covering the costs).

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I mean, if they are that physically close to each other and possibly even using the same resources - that’s what I think may become an uncomfortable situation for the vendor or the vendors vendor.

I may neurotically be making a mountain of a molehill tho - nothing new. :)

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I don’t think I’m going to go with the option of having somebody else do it. I’m about to call them right now I just needed to think before calling. It’s either going to remain smooth or I’m going to have him add it it just depends on what he says. I will keep all of you updated.

lizzydm26

Shiny_Rock
I love the ring with the smooth bezel. Whatever you decide, you have a beautiful ring! Good luck!

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
That is absolutely gorgeous! I am sorry that the process has been hard. :(
I personally like it without the miligrain. But you have to love it! Either way it is beautiful

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Also where is Swaye? Gah I am anxious for her to weigh in. So I spoke to Sam who said he chatted w the jeweler. He said something to the effect of he’s a master jeweler and he trusts him to do what he thinks is best with the way the piece looks. He said part of the reason the guy did not do the milgrain it’s because it’s two toned and he thought that if you millgrain the yellow gold and you already have white millgrain behind it that the yellow will kind of be lost and it won’t show as much. He also said that tourmaline is riskier but that it can still be done. He said if the customer really wants it to be done and then he will do it. He prefers without. Sam also told me that he thinks the ring is so nice as it is and he personally would not do it but if I want it to be done then he will. It was almost as if it were an aesthetic choice and based on the convo I’m not sure it was ever communicated that I wished for a milgrain bezel. He also said he thought the shiny yellow gold brought out the tourmaline color more. I asked him for a hand shot from a distance so I could get a better idea of what it looks like since everything is magnified with those close-up shots. And I will post those when I get them and I just told him that I will think about it a little bit longer and then let him know.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I don’t agree that the milgrain on the yellow gold would get lost since you also have white gold milgrain.

My newest ring has both and I can see the milgrain clearly in both colors of gold. Just wanted to weigh in that I don’t think that is a valid concern.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like clearer communication and understanding.
sounds like a better scenario.
good!

id rather it be a ‘taste/preference’ issue than a production technicality/concern.

than I can just say “let me have my ring you think is ugly” :lol:

Last edited:

lizzydm26

Shiny_Rock
Sounds like clearer communication and understanding.
sounds like a better scenario.
good!

id rather it be a ‘taste/preference’ issue than a production technicality.
Does sound like much better communication. But after hearing that, they should have just done what was requested in the first place. The order was for the milgrain. It is confusing to me why there was even an issue to begin with. Custom orders are what the customer orders, not what the vendor likes.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
It is glorious! Does the hand shot make you lean either way?

Yes it does I think I’m going to keep it with the shiny bezel because this distance shot I can see the white millgrain edging around the gold and the green color is just very intense and pleasing. And then if I get it and want to change my mind I can but it’s not as if you can go in reverse the other way. Thank you everybody for all of your help.

Yes it does I think I’m going to keep it with the shiny bezel because this distance shot I can see the white millgrain edging around the gold and the green color is just very intense and pleasing. And then if I get it and want to change my mind I can but it’s not as if you can go in reverse the other way. Thank you everybody for all of your help.

Hooray for a happy ending! Hope you get your ring ASAP so you can share your own handshots with us :D

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s beautiful. That color. Swoon.
tbh I think you should get the milgrain. I find a shiny bezel (I'm a bezel girl) rather distracting (to my old eyes) and the milgrain would mute the bezel some. Does that make sense?
Also think you should get what you want after all!!

ETA oops I see you’ve updated to keep it polished. It’s beautiful either way so please disregard my comment above.

mjea

Shiny_Rock
@Mreader This ring is absolutely beautiful! I gasped a little -- the color on the tourmaline is *chefs kiss* It's big, and bold, and bright! I hope it arrives super fast!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I think it’s beautiful. That color. Swoon.
tbh I think you should get the milgrain. I find a shiny bezel (I'm a bezel girl) rather distracting (to my old eyes) and the milgrain would mute the bezel some. Does that make sense?
Also think you should get what you want after all!!

ETA oops I see you’ve updated to keep it polished. It’s beautiful either way so please disregard my comment above.

Haha no worries. I think I’m going to like the look and like I was saying I can go back and change it if I want to. I’m getting a milgrain for my emerald from DK so I can look at it as having each look :lol-2: . And then I am DONE. If I mention another custom project somebody slap me. At least until Christmas:lol-2:.

fantapanda

Shiny_Rock
Sorry to hear about the experience but i'm glad you found a happy resolution for it. The tourmaline is so lively and bright that i think with or without the milgrain, the ring looks gorgeous as it is.

Ok, actually i think i'm team #nomilgrain as the yellow gold accentuates the tourmaline and the current setting lets the tourmaline speak for itself, which it more than does. =)2

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
I much prefer without the milgrain. I think yellow gold and green stones are a gorgeous combo. I think the polished gold really accentuates the vivid and open nature of the tourmaline.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s an absolutely stunning ring.
I think it looks better with a plain yellow gold bezel and yay for the optical illusion of the bezel also being diamond set.
However its your ring so your choice.
I’d wear it awhile and see if it grows on you, you can always have it milligrained later.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I think it’s an absolutely stunning ring.
I think it looks better with a plain yellow gold bezel and yay for the optical illusion of the bezel also being diamond set.
However its your ring so your choice.
I’d wear it awhile and see if it grows on you, you can always have it milligrained later.

Thanks @Bron357 :) What does it mean to have a bezel that’s “diamond set”?

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually love it "as is" without the miligrain! Obviously it's a personal preference but I think it looks stellar :kiss2:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Bron357 :) What does it mean to have a bezel that’s “diamond set”?

The studio “side on shot” is reflecting the diamond halo onto the yellow gold bezel so it’s giving the optical illusion that you had the side of the yellow gold bezel also set with diamonds!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
The order was for the milgrain. It is confusing to me why there was even an issue to begin with. Custom orders are what the customer orders, not what the vendor likes.
Agreed. It is super bizarre.

femmemannequin

Rough_Rock
perfect as it is! :) love the details n the side of bezel! Have u decided to keep it this way ? or waiting till you see it in person the decide?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results