shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help picking an engagement ring...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ShaunB

Rough_Rock
this is the same jeweler and after sharing my story about what i found from this site he has been very helpful with letting me check all the angles of the diamonds i''ve considered in his store. he agrees with EGL-NY being a lot more lenient then EGL-LA and said that is why he uses only EGL-LA, you might get slightly better grades but you wont get any 2 grade differences like others have suggested.

i also want to add that the diamond above i just listed is $1,500 less than what i was going to pay for anything comparible on other sites, he said he can order me whatever i want and has given me a couple quotes for diamonds meeting my standards but i will have to pay a premium for them b/c he doesn''t have it in stock. which i can very well understand, so i either take a risk and order online or trust a guy my future father-in-law has known for 50 years.

he wants me to be happy and really appreciates my business, willing to do what ever i decide. as of right now i am really considering the above diamond. i know it is EGL rated I and SI-2 but for the money i''m saving i am not sure i''d noticed much of a difference for $1,500 considering how well this diamond looks.

i am sticking with this jeweler and will just have to decide if i should save the $1,500 or buy a better graded diamond that looks the same, ya know?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Which is how much? Price-scope the diamonds from EGL with your same specs comes back with an avg price of about 2.5k. You have to know that EGL graded stones are always discounted. If you understand that and buy in full knowledge, then it is ok with me.

ShaunB

Rough_Rock
lol, you know what i forgot i haven''t been including EGL in my Pricescope searches ahahah

so i have been comparing AGS/GIA prices to this EGL diamond, he quoted me for $3,400 for the EGL diamond.

he quoted me $5,200 for a AGS Ideal-0 with I color and a VS-2, so i was comparing the the two amounts

man...now what to do

thanks

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really don't think it is that much of a discount on the price he quoted you for the EGL. You are comparing a I VS2 AGS0 with a I SI2 EGL. The clarity grade difference alone, for example from the same lab, could have accounted for a price difference of 0.5 - 1k.

ShaunB

Rough_Rock
right, and this is why i'm glad i found these forums

everything sounds to much sweeter when you have the diamonds in front of you and it is hard not to get excited and forget what is important

Si-2 EGL and AGS-VS is a big difference in itself, ya know

well atleast i have a fall back stone to go to if i can't find another one i'm happier with, i would like to see what the EGL stone would get if i had it sent to AGS or GIA but i'm pretty sure i know what to expect.

here is one of the stones he quoted me for $5,200 and got a 1.1 on the Cut Advisor

AGS#:
Report Type: Diamond Quality™ Document
Shape and Style: Round Brilliant
Measurements: 6.49 - 6.54 x 3.94 mm
Cut Grade: AGS Ideal 0
Color Grade: AGS 2.5 (I)
Clarity Grade: AGS 4 (VS2)
Carat Weight 1.010
Fluorescence: Negligible
Comments:
Polish:
Symmetry:
Table: 56.7%
Crown Angle: 34.1
Crown Height: 14.7%
Girdle: Faceted, 1.1% to 3.5%
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Pavilion Depth: 43.0%
Star Length: 55%
Lower Girdle Length: 77%
Total Depth: 60.5%
Culet: Pointed

when i looked on the site it didn't show the Polish or Symmetry which is pretty important to me

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you really want to go down in color, why not all the way? It will be unique, the near colorless is too common in my opinion... :razz:

An 1.01c I I1

An 1.03c O VS2

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
AGS includes polish and symm in it''s cut grade. So if either symm or polish is less than ideal, it will at least be graded AGS1 if not lower.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
ya, as I said, the polish and symm are combined into the cut grade. Newer report would have break it down, but the overall cut grade is still the largest score of the 3, light performance, symm and polish.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/16/2009 5:22:33 PM
Author: ShaunB

right, and this is why i'm glad i found these forums

everything sounds to much sweeter when you have the diamonds in front of you and it is hard not to get excited and forget what is important

Si-2 EGL and AGS-VS is a big difference in itself, ya know

well atleast i have a fall back stone to go to if i can't find another one i'm happier with, i would like to see what the EGL stone would get if i had it sent to AGS or GIA but i'm pretty sure i know what to expect.

here is one of the stones he quoted me for $5,200 and got a 1.1 on the Cut Advisor

AGS#:
Report Type: Diamond Quality™ Document
Shape and Style: Round Brilliant
Measurements: 6.49 - 6.54 x 3.94 mm
Cut Grade: AGS Ideal 0
Color Grade: AGS 2.5 (I)
Clarity Grade: AGS 4 (VS2)
Carat Weight 1.010
Fluorescence: Negligible
Comments:
Polish:
Symmetry:
Table: 56.7%
Crown Angle: 34.1
Crown Height: 14.7%
Girdle: Faceted, 1.1% to 3.5%
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Pavilion Depth: 43.0%
Star Length: 55%
Lower Girdle Length: 77%
Total Depth: 60.5%
Culet: Pointed

when i looked on the site it didn't show the Polish or Symmetry which is pretty important to me
This one looks promising. The polish and symmetry will be ideal.

ShaunB

Rough_Rock
so even though it doesn''t specify on the cert that it does have Ideal polish and sementry i should assume it does?

should i consider asking them to have a recent cert done on it?

thanks

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/17/2009 6:29:04 AM
so even though it doesn''t specify on the cert that it does have Ideal polish and sementry i should assume it does?

should i consider asking them to have a recent cert done on it?

thanks
A diamond with an AGS Diamond Quality Document with the AGS0 cut grade will have ideal symmetry and polish as the finish is also taken into account when assigning a cut grade. The report date is fine, no need to get a new one at all.

ShaunB

Rough_Rock
the jeweler said that his "guy" told him it had Hearts & Arrows but i doesn''t specify that anywhere on the cert like some AGS certs i have seen.

i feel really good about this diamond and think i''ve found what i want as long as it is H&A, which wasn''t a big deal until i did some reading on it and think she will like it and be able to tell her girlfriends that know about "Hearts on Fire" branded diamonds.

i am not sure if i mentioned this but a higher end jeweler here in town wanted to sell me a "Hearts on Fire" 1.0c with I color and SI clarity for $15,000

when i kept referring to Hearts & Arrows she would correct me and say "you mean Hearts on Fire"

ShaunB

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 5:33:52 PM
Author: Stone-cold11
AGS includes polish and symm in it's cut grade. So if either symm or polish is less than ideal, it will at least be graded AGS1 if not lower.
sorry i guess i missed this reply lastngiht, i guess i though i saw some AGS-0 diamonds with very good symentry or polish in the price scope search but that could have been GIA.

thank you

so this diamond since it is AGS-0 is infact a Triple 0

edit: well i was told Triple 0 meants Cut, Polish, Symentry...but from the AGS site it would mean a 0/0/0 Cut, Color, & Clarity

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 6:23:46 PM
Date: 2/16/2009 5:33:52 PM

Author: Stone-cold11

AGS includes polish and symm in it''s cut grade. So if either symm or polish is less than ideal, it will at least be graded AGS1 if not lower.

sorry i guess i missed this reply lastngiht, i guess i though i saw some AGS-0 diamonds with very good symentry or polish in the price scope search but that could have been GIA.

thank you

so this diamond since it is AGS-0 is infact a Triple 0

edit: well i was told Triple 0 meants Cut, Polish, Symentry...but from the AGS site it would mean a 0/0/0 Cut, Color, & Clarity

Ya, originally 000 refers to a ideal cut, D IF stone.

ShaunB

Rough_Rock
any reasons why i shouldn''t get this AGS diamond you can think of?

other then the price, which is cometative to online dealers. i am really excited about this diamond but i''ve been this excited about all the other diamonds i''ve selected and have had a reason why not to get it

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 6:18:53 PM
the jeweler said that his ''guy'' told him it had Hearts & Arrows but i doesn''t specify that anywhere on the cert like some AGS certs i have seen.

i feel really good about this diamond and think i''ve found what i want as long as it is H&A, which wasn''t a big deal until i did some reading on it and think she will like it and be able to tell her girlfriends that know about ''Hearts on Fire'' branded diamonds.

i am not sure if i mentioned this but a higher end jeweler here in town wanted to sell me a ''Hearts on Fire'' 1.0c with I color and SI clarity for $15,000

when i kept referring to Hearts & Arrows she would correct me and say ''you mean Hearts on Fire''

Actually AGS will not grade if a diamond is Hearts&Arrows, it is just stating what it found inscribed on the girdle of the diamond. H&A is probably inscribed on by the cutter. It could be anything and AGS will still write it in the report.

Hearts on Fire is just a branding.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 6:53:22 PM
any reasons why i shouldn't get this AGS diamond you can think of?

other then the price, which is cometative to online dealers. i am really excited about this diamond but i've been this excited about all the other diamonds i've selected and have had a reason why not to get it

Just that it may not exhibit what is considered a H&A pattern as it is not branded cut. Unless you can see it yourself with a H&A viewer that is. Ideal symm does not automatically equate to ideal optical symm required by H&A pattern but ideal optical symm also not necessarily gives a H&A pattern.

So if you are really looking for one, you need to be able to see the hearts pattern with a H&A viewer. Hope that makes sense...

If you are just wanting a beautifully cut diamond, this is the one. You will probably be able to see a good arrow pattern as that is easier to observe but Hearts pattern requires several different facets to be cut just right to obtain it. But once mounted, it will be difficult to see as the hearts pattern can only be viewed from the pavilion.

ShaunB

Rough_Rock
so no reasons not to jump on this one?

sorry guess i jumped the gun, yea he said his "guys" used a H&A viewer and it has them, i realize you won't be able to see the hearts when it is set but atleast i know they are there, ya know. the arrows in my opinion can be seen without a viewer if i was looking for them.

thanks again for all the help, i am so greatful for your help

just compare the first diamond i posted to this AGS diamond and i hope you can see how you guys have helped my decision

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 7:05:37 PM

Nope, jump on it. Looks good to me.

Wallycat2

Rough_Rock
Not sure if you pulled the plug on the ring yet but I saw earlier responses pointing you towards something < 1.0 c. How big is your girifriends ring size? You might want to get her opinion. The H&A''s are awesome. And if her ring size is pretty small even a .90 carat will look huge. I got an H&A just over 1 carat and wouldn''t go back now but as I observe more rings (on friends wives, etc.) I am seeing some .75 to .90 sizes that don''t look too much smaller. Its a personal choice. But very few people could tell a .9 from a 1.0. I broke my budget by 2,000 but im happy I did it. Also you might want to get your girlfriends opinion.

ShaunB

Rough_Rock
yea i''ve haven''t really considered going smaller than 1.0c but comparing a .75-1.0 for me is very tough, i wish i could ask her but wouldn''t that ruin the suprise?

i think i''ll be happy in the long run with this diamond

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/17/2009 7:05:37 PM

sorry guess i jumped the gun, yea he said his 'guys' used a H&A viewer and it has them, i realize you won't be able to see the hearts when it is set but atleast i know they are there, ya know. the arrows in my opinion can be seen without a viewer if i was looking for them.

thanks again for all the help, i am so greatful for your help

just compare the first diamond i posted to this AGS diamond and i hope you can see how you guys have helped my decision
If you want an undisputed h&a diamond then we have no way of knowing if this is true without images, if it matters to you to have a h&a which meets the strict standards as originally decreed by experts and H&a conoisseurs, then I would recommend you go with a branded A Cut Above from Whiteflash, A Crafted By Infinity or Hearts on Fire. If you just want a well cut diamond which may show arrows but not be a perfect example of this precision cutting then the diamond in question may be fine - no way to tell without images the quality of the overall cut precision though.

ShaunB

Rough_Rock
thank you,

i think i''m going to have him order in this diamond and i''ll have to look at it, i want to order an Idealscope or ASET too so i will be able to judge the cut.

thank you again for all the replies and helping me through this process

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2009 7:18:42 AM
thank you,

i think i''m going to have him order in this diamond and i''ll have to look at it, i want to order an Idealscope or ASET too so i will be able to judge the cut.

Good luck.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/18/2009 7:18:42 AM
thank you,

Sounds like a plan and you are most welcome!

ShaunB

Rough_Rock
well that was quick, the AGS diamond came in today and WOW what a difference...

most importantly i feel more comfortable with this diamond than any others i''ve looked at

i''ll post some pics when i actually own and get to take it home haha, thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results