shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me with this bad setting

pavlos

Rough_Rock
I recently ordered a cathedral solitaire 14K white Gold ring from a local store. Yesterday I picked up and after checking the ring, while at home, I found out that they didn't polish the ring's inside part of the head. My first thought was that it was impossible for them to do it but after checking online,I think they did a very bad job. Should I go back and ask them to polish it for free or this is impossible to be polished? What are your thoughts? I also uploaded a picture of what I order and what they delivered. Thanks 20230823_013153.jpg

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
It can be string polished. It's a good idea to have this done so it doesn't become a collector of grime. It's a cast piece. I wouldn't call it a bad job per say as the setting itself has better construction than your example image, but definitely an oversight.
Bring it back and ask for them to do so.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If they won’t polish it to your liking for free
Look into what you paid for the ring vs what they will charge you to do the polishing vs comparing that cost in returning the whole ring and buying from another jeweler who polishes their cast pieces before mounting the stones.

Last edited:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@pavlos

After thinking more about this ( :lol: )
Although a ring definitely would be more annoying than a necklace-

I bought a diamond necklace in a basket setting years ago from a vendor very well known here on PS. It’s polish level on the basket setting is very similar to your ring - maybe a tiny tiny bit better but if so really not much.

When I received it, I contacted the vendor about the issue. I expected it to look similar in quality to their many online photos of ‘like’ pieces. I didn’t buy it from an exact listing - but contacted them for a similar style item that had been sold and gave a price point and had no further input.

It being years ago, cannot remember exact verbiage, but I do think ‘normal viewing conditions’ ‘naked eye’ and ‘inspection under magnification’ were mentioned.

I cannot remember if the vendor offered to repolish it, whether or not there would be a charge or not,
All I do remember was the unflattering tone from the vendor. I did nothing.

It doesn’t hurt to ask the vendor at all in your case.
But I definitely would have approached my necklace purchase differently knowing what I know now.

If it’s not a flat out mistake - it’s a price point parameter.

Last edited:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I truly dislike it when the inside/backs of pieces aren't polished.

However, to do a 100% polish on this ring, the diamond will need to be unmounted, then remounted after polishing. That could cost you anywhere up to a few hundred dollars.

There's an argument both ways on this situation, as I suspect the "not polished on the inside' was built into the price, as Rfisher suggested.

pavlos

Rough_Rock
Thank y'all for your help. Send them an official email and I'm waiting for their response. I ordered the ring from the physical store and they never mentioned anything about paying extra for the inside polishing. Hopefully they'll do it for free otherwise they'll get a nice review in their 5 star score on Google.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If all of their rings on display have full polish, unless your invoice specifies otherwise, then I think your expectation your ring would be 100% polished is reasonable; and in my mind you're okay to ask why your ring wasn't fully polished and to ask that it be done at their cost.

However, personally, if it were my ring, and if the lack of inner polish was not visible to my naked eye, and if I was otherwise pleased with the ring and with how the stone is mounted ... I would not bother complaining to the store, and I would take pleasure in my beautiful ring every time I wore it.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Clearly it bothers the OP if they are posting about it. If it were my ring, having it not polished on the inside would bother me too. I personally would expect a product I bought to be "finished" and not rough like this. It just wouldn't be mind clean for me as it is and I'd take it back and ask for it to be polished.

pavlos

Rough_Rock
Update: After a lot of excuses and apologies for this result they will polish and refinish it for free.
Lesson learned: never be over-excited when picking up and inspect every part of the jewel before taking off.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Update: After a lot of excuses and apologies for this result they will polish and refinish it for free.
Lesson learned: never be over-excited when picking up and inspect every part of the jewel before taking off.

looking forward to hand shots when its ready

pavlos

Rough_Rock
Haven't given the ring for polishing yet and I came up with another issue. The inclusions on the stone are different than the one's on the certificate but the certificate number muches with the one on the stone.Most probably I got scammed. Forgot to mention that the vendor gave me a dublicate IGI certificate and they were insisting that this is like it should be. I know that the original one doesn't mention "Duplicate". Any thoughts? 20230825_154118.jpg

Attachments

• 20230825_154407.jpg
    20230825_154407.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would think about finding a good appraiser to see about matching the inclusions with the stone. I can see that they could match but would rather see more images. It is possible that they asked for a duplicate cert; not sure if the word duplicate would be written on it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results