shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me with these pearls

Punkanetti

Rough_Rock
BFEC155D-0E11-4063-914B-FD4567C96E17.jpeg 746F2682-9058-4BAB-AFDF-0BF323A53FA9.jpeg 6F45888E-03AD-489B-BDC4-5E785D88C8D6.jpeg
My mom has had these pearls for about 40 years and doesn’t know anything about them other than she “bought them from a jeweler on 8 mile for $1,000”. They were purchased from a reputable jeweler my family used many times but has been out of business for many years, I was just phrasing it the way she did for fun. I recently became interested in opals and pearls so I dug them out to have a look. I honestly don’t know enough (even with all my searches) to say for certain if they are real or not. They feel rough on my tooth, reflect my face with pretty good detail, have the type of knot loop piece that connects them to the clasp that real pearls are supposed to and have flaws that look like the ones I’ve seen on google so I think they are but what kind or quality is a mystery. I tried to get good shots so I hope they’re visible enough. I’d really love if I could get any opinions!

Punkanetti

Rough_Rock
Considering they haven't been worn in 25 years the special outing they deserve is extremely long overdue so I totally agree! Thank you, I just hope I can do them justice ☺

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Considering they haven't been worn in 25 years the special outing they deserve is extremely long overdue so I totally agree! Thank you, I just hope I can do them justice ☺
please report back with details

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In your close-up, they look like genuine pearls. I see some minor flaws that indicate that they are natural. Also, you say they feel rough on your teeth which is a good sign. They are nice and round, so I don't think they are freshwater pearls, but more likely Akoya.
What about that clasp? Is it marked? The bit on the end, hiding the knot right before the fish hook, does not look right for a fine strand of Akoya pearls. There is no French wire wrapping and the link is not soldered. So if the price was $1000, it was way too high. But they could still be genuine Akoyas, just not finished as a finer strand would be.
This is the clasp on my Akoyas, and they are not even super high quality. But I wanted to show the French wire wrap and the soldered link that I mentioned.
IMG_20190630_083610.jpg

Last edited:

Punkanetti

Rough_Rock
In your close-up, they look like genuine pearls. I see some minor flaws that indicate that they are natural. Also, you say they feel rough on your teeth which is a good sign. They are nice and round, so I don't think they are freshwater pearls, but more likely Akoya.
What about that clasp? Is it marked? The bit on the end, hiding the knot right before the fish hook, does not look right for a fine strand of Akoya pearls. There is no French wire wrapping and the link is not soldered. So if the price was $1000, it was way too high. But they could still be genuine Akoyas, just not finished as a finer strand would be.
This is the clasp on my Akoyas, and they are not even super high quality. But I wanted to show the French wire wrap and the soldered link that I mentioned.
IMG_20190630_083610.jpg

Ahhhh yes I see what you mean, yours look much prettier and higher quality with the wire wrapped finish there. The other side of the hook I took the photo of is stamped 14k in basically that same place. Do you think it's possible that them being 40 years old has anything to do with how the end was finished? I don't think it would, if anything older jewelry seems to be made better in comparison to modern much of the time, but figured I'd ask. Now she's saying they were 7 or $800 which is really neither here nor there since I don't think she cares if she overpaid or not. Looks like I'll have to save (for a very, very long time lol) to buy my own higher quality strand and Australian opal piece.
Thanks so much for your help!!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahhhh yes I see what you mean, yours look much prettier and higher quality with the wire wrapped finish there. The other side of the hook I took the photo of is stamped 14k in basically that same place. Do you think it's possible that them being 40 years old has anything to do with how the end was finished? I don't think it would, if anything older jewelry seems to be made better in comparison to modern much of the time, but figured I'd ask. Now she's saying they were 7 or $800 which is really neither here nor there since I don't think she cares if she overpaid or not. Looks like I'll have to save (for a very, very long time lol) to buy my own higher quality strand and Australian opal piece.
Thanks so much for your help!!
Well since the clasp is 14k, then maybe it just depends on who strung them. Perhaps they were restrung at some point, too. Even antique pearl strands have the French wrap, so I don't think age is a factor.
Could be that they were custom made for someone at one point, and resold by that jeweler to your mom.
But they are really nice and I would totally wear them if they were mine!

Punkanetti

Rough_Rock
Well since the clasp is 14k, then maybe it just depends on who strung them. Perhaps they were restrung at some point, too. Even antique pearl strands have the French wrap, so I don't think age is a factor.
Could be that they were custom made for someone at one point, and resold by that jeweler to your mom.
But they are really nice and I would totally wear them if they were mine!
I'm definitely going to wear them next special occasion I have, whatever the quality they are still very pretty!

Punkanetti

Rough_Rock
They look like cultured akoya pearls. Take those babies out for dinner!
I apologize for my ignorance but I'm still confused about whether all akoya pearls are freshwater or not?
Are non cultured pearls ridiculously expensive or super rare? I couldn't find any listed for sale online to check out, obviously only out of curiosity since I would never be able to buy any.
I have a wedding next month so I'm looking forward to having them join me =)

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is hard to understand all about pearls, because it can be confusing! I certainly am no expert, but this is what I know. Akoyas and freshwaters are two different types of pearl.

"Akoya" pearls are cultured Japanese salt water pearls from oysters. They are farmed in lagoons.
They are not rare, but are valuable and desirable, depending on quality. They are almost always round.

"Freshwater" pearls are cultured pearls farmed in freshwater lakes (mostly in China) from a mollusk, not an oyster. They tend to be oblong or egg shaped.
They have become super cheap and common, because the market has been flooded since about the 1990s. However, they too can also be desirable and expensive, depending on quality.
And yes, non-cultured or natural pearls are expensive and rare.

Last edited:

Punkanetti

Rough_Rock
It is hard to understand all about pearls, because it can be confusing! I certainly am no expert, but this is what I know. Akoyas and freshwaters are two different types of pearl.

"Akoya" pearls are cultured Japanese salt water pearls from oysters. They are farmed in lagoons.
They are not rare, but are valuable and desirable, depending on quality. They are almost always round.

"Freshwater" pearls are cultured pearls farmed in freshwater lakes (mostly in China) from a mollusk, not an oyster. They tend to be oblong or egg shaped.
They have become super cheap and common, because the market has been flooded since about the 1990s. However, they too can also be desirable and expensive, depending on quality.
And yes, non-cultured or natural pearls are expensive and rare.
You are really knowledgeable, thank you for those super explanations! You have helped me a bunch and I really appreciate you taking the time to do this :kiss2:

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Cultured is jewellery-speak for farmed
Natural pearls are wild pearls. Natural sea pearls are very rare and very valuable. freshwater natural pearls are slightly more common though still very valuable
Akoya cultured pearls grow in the Akoya oyster in farms in Japan, Vietnam and (one ) in Australia. They are grown on a bead so tend to be round or close to round. Quality is judged by roundness, colour, lustre and thickness of nacre (because some pearls are left to grow for only a few months and so have very thin and non-durable nacre) Colours are white (often bleached then tinted with a pink blush) blue and gold
Freshwater cultured pearls can be either solid nacre or grown on a bead. They can be any shape but Chinese pearl culturing has become increasingly successful and many round, stunningly beautiful pearls are now produced, some with and some without a bead. Nearly every colour imaginable

Punkanetti

Rough_Rock
Cultured is jewellery-speak for farmed
Natural pearls are wild pearls. Natural sea pearls are very rare and very valuable. freshwater natural pearls are slightly more common though still very valuable
Akoya cultured pearls grow in the Akoya oyster in farms in Japan, Vietnam and (one ) in Australia. They are grown on a bead so tend to be round or close to round. Quality is judged by roundness, colour, lustre and thickness of nacre (because some pearls are left to grow for only a few months and so have very thin and non-durable nacre) Colours are white (often bleached then tinted with a pink blush) blue and gold
Freshwater cultured pearls can be either solid nacre or grown on a bead. They can be any shape but Chinese pearl culturing has become increasingly successful and many round, stunningly beautiful pearls are now produced, some with and some without a bead. Nearly every colour imaginable
That's funny because I saw these open a mollusk to dig out your own pearl things they are selling on an app from China (wish) I use and they were such a beautiful variety of colors with many pearls in each I thought they must be fake or doctoring the advertisement photo (they also sell seeds claiming to grow all sorts of colored fruit that could not possibly exist) so it's interesting to know they actually look like that! They are very inexpensive so maybe I'll order one for fun. Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge with me

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The "open your own oyster" product is a scam.
The dyed pearl is inserted into the dead oyster.
It was not grown in that oyster. It is just for amusement purposes.
You may see kiosks in places like Las Vegas and Hawaii, where you pick an oyster, and they open it for you and a fabulous pearl is inside. Still a scam.
The lady opens your oyster for you and discards the shell immediately before you can see that a black pearl couldn't possibly have come out of that white oyster shell.

Last edited:

Punkanetti

Rough_Rock
The "open your own oyster" product is a scam.
The dyed pearl is inserted into the dead oyster.
It was not grown in that oyster. It is just for amusement purposes.
Yuck, I wasn't aware that's how they did it, doesn't sound too amusing once you find that out! I'll say no thank you to those and the grow a purple watermelon seeds lol

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
That's funny because I saw these open a mollusk to dig out your own pearl things they are selling on an app from China (wish) I use and they were such a beautiful variety of colors with many pearls in each I thought they must be fake or doctoring the advertisement photo (they also sell seeds claiming to grow all sorts of colored fruit that could not possibly exist) so it's interesting to know they actually look like that! They are very inexpensive so maybe I'll order one for fun. Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge with me

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Wish pearls are dead akoya shell and mollusc with a freshwater pearl bunged inside. Often these freshwater pearls are dyed, often garishly. Wish pearls are not worth the price. It is a very expensive way to buy pearls one at a time. The immature akoya oyster is killed then the freshwater pearl is inserted and a harsh and dangerous chemical is used to snap the shell closed
There were people having 'pearl parties' all over facebook and gullible punters getting near hysterical over a low end pearl which would be worth maybe 50p. That was last year. I thought it had died away but clearly it is still hanging on in

Punkanetti

Rough_Rock
Wish pearls are dead akoya shell and mollusc with a freshwater pearl bunged inside. Often these freshwater pearls are dyed, often garishly. Wish pearls are not worth the price. It is a very expensive way to buy pearls one at a time. The immature akoya oyster is killed then the freshwater pearl is inserted and a harsh and dangerous chemical is used to snap the shell closed
There were people having 'pearl parties' all over facebook and gullible punters getting near hysterical over a low end pearl which would be worth maybe 50p. That was last year. I thought it had died away but clearly it is still hanging on in
Really?! How sad and awful. I haven't used Facebook in many a year so I had no idea, I had never seen those clams until a couple weeks ago and I positively won't be purchasing one now. Thank you!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm definitely going to wear them next special occasion I have, whatever the quality they are still very pretty!
don't forget to tell us about it
and i think - and i know nothing about pearls (i think i already said that) but they were your mum's pearls and that's of more significance than their monetary worth
i had my mum's clip on pearl earings converted for my pierced ears
i had it down at a propper manufacturing boutique jewlers where i had mum's rings cleaned and sized and valued and i had a lovelly turquoise pearl ring custom made
anyway the staff are all really nice but the office lady did say " well you know they arn't great pearls " and i thought that was just unnecessary
but the point was the same as with your pearls, they were mum's and now i could wear them
(your pearls look much nicer btw)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
yuck
never heard of that before
another reason to be glad i don't do facebook

Punkanetti

Rough_Rock
don't forget to tell us about it
and i think - and i know nothing about pearls (i think i already said that) but they were your mum's pearls and that's of more significance than their monetary worth
i had my mum's clip on pearl earings converted for my pierced ears
i had it down at a propper manufacturing boutique jewlers where i had mum's rings cleaned and sized and valued and i had a lovelly turquoise pearl ring custom made
anyway the staff are all really nice but the office lady did say " well you know they arn't great pearls " and i thought that was just unnecessary
but the point was the same as with your pearls, they were mum's and now i could wear them
(your pearls look much nicer btw)
Oh I agree 100% I love them because they were hers and she was kind enough pass them on to me. I might say oh I'll buy my own more expensive ones but even if I ever do they will mean nothing compared to my mother's. I'm quite the sentimental type so I have a piece of meaningful jewelry from each one of my family members and no matter what they cost or might be worth they are priceless to me and I will cherish them always. I would actually love to take a couple off the strand and make a pair of earrings for my sister, as a surprise, so that she will have a part of them too even though she isn't as interested in them. I will wear these proudly that's for sure!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh I agree 100% I love them because they were hers and she was kind enough pass them on to me. I might say oh I'll buy my own more expensive ones but even if I ever do they will mean nothing compared to my mother's. I'm quite the sentimental type so I have a piece of meaningful jewelry from each one of my family members and no matter what they cost or might be worth they are priceless to me and I will cherish them always. I would actually love to take a couple off the strand and make a pair of earrings for my sister, as a surprise, so that she will have a part of them too even though she isn't as interested in them. I will wear these proudly that's for sure!
that's very generouse of you to think to do that for your sister and the kind of thing i like to think would make parents so happy
just make sure it doesn't end up too tight

i actually havn't worn mum's Akoya pearls yet as i feel like im being strangled so when i get them restrung I'll have to buy some matching pearls. its sad to see them in their case but once funds allow ill get to them
im sure your peals are going to love that wedding !

Punkanetti

Rough_Rock
that's very generouse of you to think to do that for your sister and the kind of thing i like to think would make parents so happy
just make sure it doesn't end up too tight

i actually havn't worn mum's Akoya pearls yet as i feel like im being strangled so when i get them restrung I'll have to buy some matching pearls. its sad to see them in their case but once funds allow ill get to them
im sure your peals are going to love that wedding !
See I find hers to be slightly too long but I haven't tried them on either so I can't be sure yet. I would hate to have them adjusted and mess them up, or like you said have them then be too tight, so I think the 2 for my sister may be all I'm willing to take off. It does stink to have to admire them in their box instead of on yourself so hopefully you'll get to wear them soon!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
See I find hers to be slightly too long but I haven't tried them on either so I can't be sure yet. I would hate to have them adjusted and mess them up, or like you said have them then be too tight, so I think the 2 for my sister may be all I'm willing to take off. It does stink to have to admire them in their box instead of on yourself so hopefully you'll get to wear them soon!
if you get a pair of earings for your sister don't forget to show us
pearls might be something we grow into ?
i don't remember ever having an opinion on them they were so far off my radar

when i open the box they smell like stale white diamonds so even though my mother took great care of her jewlery she must have been naughty and put purfume on after her pearls tut tut tut
i have brought two sapphire and diamond gold beads to extend the strand - i like the idea of having something pretty at the back and a diamond gold bead for the middle but now im not sure i should mess with it but they are overdue for a restring as i can see where the cord has stretched
a thread for another day ;)2

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
On the subject of the open-your-own pearl oysters, luckily
the vendor that I found when I first discovered that they were for sale
was super duper honest and explained in the listing that they were
dyed and placed into the oyster BUT, I've now noticed that these much
much larger and less flimsy oysters are for sale and they're usually about $25 including shipping.

My little 4 year old saw them and wants one really bad so I'm thinking about
getting one for her for fun.
The reviews for these larger ones are great and they guarantee 20-30 pearls in
each of these large oysters or they'll give you a refund.

I'm asking about them because I can't tell if they were also placed in the oyster, and I'm dubious because as you can see the pearls look naturally trapped in the meat (for lack of a better word haha) and I cannot spot any discrepancies that would show that they weren't naturally in there but again, I'm no pearl queen- just an admirer and lover of them.:kiss2:
They also don't look dyed whatsoever and they come out in all sorts of shapes and sizes. Pictures attached below that are great representations of the exact ones and resulting pearls in the listings.

Thoughts on if they're placed in there or not?

pearllargeoyster.PNG
2018-loose-pearls-wholesale-vacuum-single.jpg

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
That's just a normal freshwater mussel shell with a normal number and range of pearls. But it would be very surprising to get all good quality pearls. Unless they have put the finished pearls into the mussel they can't possibly guarantee what sort of pearls come out.
It's just another variation on wish pearls

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results